“Could have been a Four Star but it's the Little Things....” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
WINTER RATES FROM $99*!
Ranked #130 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
“Could have been a Four Star but it's the Little Things....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2005

My family and I stayed at the WDW Hilton during our Christmas week in Disneyworld (crowded but fun way to spend the holidays!). The location of the hotel is just fine -- there is a shuttle that takes you over to the major disney theme parks on a regular schedule, although don't expect them to adhere to it to the minute.... Overall, the hotel was totally fine. It was not a premier Hilton by any stretch. The decor was neutral, lobby average. Very nice Christmas tree and holiday decorations, but nothing to write home about. The room was fine -- we had connecting rooms for our kids.

PROS: I actually got a great rate by calling the Hilton directly -- $109/night. Our other relatives staying in the same hotel at the same hotel paid $189/nt and that was simply too much for what you get. The restuarant that serves breakfast has a GREAT buffet, with Disney characters on Sundays. Walk to Downtown Disney - a nice break from the theme parks or if you have an extra day when your ParkHopper runs out :)

CONS: The plumbing to our room was loud -- some air in the pipes? Also, the faucet handle leaked a bit at the base (sink). I did not call maintenance since we were in the room a lot and I knew there was nothing they could do about the pipes and didnt' really care about the slowly leaking handle on the sink.

The biggest problem was the concierge (lucy?) who was simply ignorant -- not a great attribute for a concierge. After a week of Disney, I asked if there were any non-Disney things to do in Orlando. Her response: "Non-Disney? You came to the wrong place." She said there was nothing else to do. "No parks? No place to walk around with my toddler?" Not that I can think of, she responded. I even pointed to the huge display of attraction brochures behind her head. "What about those?" I asked. She turned around. "Haven't been there." ??? She would have been more helpful if she were one of the Disney animatrons.

Another pet peeve of mine is the hotel's fake environmental policy. They left me a card on my pillow saying, "We are committed to energy and resource conservation. Energy conservation helps reduce the effects of global warming .... [we have installed] energy saving lighting throughout the Hotel." This is great!! But it's not true!! My room had only traditional incandescant lamps, and the elevator lobby on my floor (one of dozens of individual lobby areas) had no less than 60 light bulbs (!) that could have been serviced with 2 fluorescent or other energy saving lamps.

Anyway, it could have been above average if not for the concierge and the fake environmental policy. But it's just average.

• Stayed January 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Indonesian first
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2005

My daughter and I stayed here for 5 nights and enjoyed ourselves very much. It's just a walk to Downtown Disney from the hotel with buses that will take you to any part of the park, just ask any of the drivers what's the quickest way to get where you want to go. Take advantage of parks when they open early by getting on the 6:30 bus from the hotel. It really cuts down on the lineups and you will have finished most everything you want to do by the time the rest of the park is filling up.

The only thing I would caution about the hotel is the confirmation I printed off before I left home stated I had free continental breakfast. However, I didn't remember this until after I had given the front desk clerk my printout, and even after speaking to two different people, I was not able to get my free continental breakfasts. So make sure you go armed with two or three copies of everything.

If the weather is inclement, don't go to Epcot. There are fewer indoor attractions there. Go to a mall instead! Also, there is a small gas station down the street from the hotel, across the street from Pleasure Island that has a small store attached. You can get pizza and subs and snacks much cheaper than at the little convenience store in the hotel or at Walt Disney World

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2004

This hotel was fabulous! We were plesantly suprised with the rooms - so often the pictures on hotel websites do not match the actual hotel appearance - but it did! The room was modernly decorated and very clean. Maid service was great - room was spotless every day! Check in was extremely smooth - we made our reservation for the Xmas season 3 months in advance - arrived and waited maybe 1 minute for check in and everything was great. We booked the room at an amazing discount through the hotel, not even through expedia! Shuttle service to the parks was painless and always reliable and on time. Restaurants in the hotel were perfect - great items to grab on the way to the parks. There is a Bennihana steak restaurant in the hotel which is deslicious! Also, the customer service desk gives out a cute welcome gift with toothpaste, cereal, and a few other basics. As well, you are able to buy park tickets at the disney store in the hotel so that you don't need to wait in line at the park! There is also a shuttle service to Universal but it's not free.
I was so pleased with this hotel!!! Highly recommended, and a great value (109 US) for Xmas time and the location (you can walk to downtown disney from there!!) Fabulous, you will be so pleased!

Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2004

We stayed at the Hilton for 6 nights from 9th October. As a Hilton Hhonors Diamond VIP member I was not overly impressed by this hotel and did not obtain that extra bit of customer care we expected. The hotel was full in this low season period and seemed to be catered for large business conferences and not a family resort. It is a great pity as it has a fantastic location with Downtown Disney only a few minutes walk across the road (exit at back of hotel next to games arcade). The free Downtown Resort Transportation (this is not the Disney System) is also excellent and very reliable. This runs to and from the parks every 30minutes and the Hilton is the first pick-up hence you get a seat...these buses get very full as they collect from other LBV Resort Hotels, but it is about 15 to 20 to the parks. This Hotel is right on the gateway to all the magic disney has to offer, but, the hotel had no sparkle.

Do not think the early entry is much of an advantage, the parks were VERY busy on these selected dates as all the Disney Resort guests decend to the park on the selected early magic hour days. Best to select another park on a early opening day, ot get there at 8am, get on your best ride and escape at lunchtime to a waterpark or another park. A big advantage is having your disney shopping delivered the next day to this hotel, so no carrying bags around the parks.

Check-in staff initially were very friendly, but did not really know how to solve problems. They had messed-up our booking with only one room available, although we had booked 11months in advance. We eventually got two rooms: a standard room with front entrance view and a junior suite with a pool view. Both were spacious, clean, good beds, large tv with some cable (inc disney channel) and as other reports have stated the bathroom was small. There is also not much in way of space for clothing, hence ours stayed in the cases. Pity the rooms were next to the noisy elevator and ice making machine. But as we were so close to Disney we were up early and spent very little time in the hotel. The Exective Floor Lounge (9th) provided an excellent start to the day with a basic continental breakfast.

The hotel has a wonderful entrance to provide a great welcome (we did it in a stretch limo), but generally it is starting to show its age and need of a refurbishment and modernisation.

The bar was ok with two large plasma screens showing sports, but noisy with so many large business groups. But when Boston are beating NY, how can you keep anyone quiet! Appeared to have good, but expensive selection of shops (clothing, golf and disney), resturants and a deli. Both pools were excellent and good to have a swim after a long day in the parks. Towels are provided, so no need to pack the beach towel. We had room service once, very reasonable, quick and big portions. Good value for money. Unlike most holiday resort hotels you will need to pay for drinking water in your room, safe, parking and health club. As there are no reasonably priced food stores within reasonable distance to the hotel, suggest you stop off on-route and purchase some bottled water, sodas and other snacks before arriving at hotel.

Would we return........probably....now we know what to expect and would look for a cheap deal of $100 per night. This is not 5 star and you will not be dazzled. But the location is awesome, you spend so little time in your hotel while in Orlando, it was great to jump on a bus and be in the parks so quickly or walk across the road to Downtown Disney for a meal in the evening. This is NOT a Disney hotel, but it has a great location if you accept the poor customer care!

• Stayed October 2004
smithtown, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2004

My husband and I stayed at this hotel November 1 - 3. A week before we arrived, a welcoming letter was sent, asking if anything could be done for us before our arrival. When we did check in, the staff at the front desk couldn't have been friendlier, the hotel was very bright and smart looking, and our room on the tower floor was spacious, spotless and very comfortable, with every amenity we could want. The complimentary breakfast was ample as was the evening refreshments. John, the concierege, was very helpful (thanks for the recommendations) the bus transportation to the Disney resorts was convenient. All-in-all, a wonderful stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2004
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2004

Just spent one night at the Hilton during a weekend trip to Disney and was not disappointed. For those of you that appreciate large convention hotels with lots of amenities (e.g., 24 hour food, Starbucks, Disney memorabilia store, clothing stores) adjacent to the lobby area, then this is the hotel for you. The Hilton is located a stone throw from the Disney Marketplace, which makes it a great location to go to Cirque du Soleil or enjoy the other attractions, such as Pleasure Island, located at the Marketplace. The room (junior suite with kitchenette and dining room) was nicely decorated and in good condition. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The only drawback to the room was the size of the bathroom- I expected a much larger bathroom for a room of this size. Overall, it was a pleasant stay and a good deal for the money.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2004

When my family first arrived we were given a disabled room. But after complaining we were given a normal room the very next day. The room was given with a nice view which we appreciated. Our problem with the hotel was only with the room service. The same night we arrived we first ordered Hot Chocolate. We were served in paper cups from Starbucks in holders you get in the McDonalds without any tray. The following morning when we ordered tea, the lady brought hot water, milk along with paper cups clutching all this in her hand without any tray! We were really surprised to see this in this sort of hotel. Again on the following night when we ordered tea, this time they got it right by bringing pots of tea, china cups & saucers on a tray, so I thought! When I tried to pour the tea I realised there was no milk. I telephoned room service and it took half an hour to bring the milk which was in a carton! When I tried to make the tea again I found no spoons were provided. I telephoned again and it took another half an hour and a few more telephone calls for them to send the spoons, along with hot water which had gone cold by this time! As I mentioned our problem was only with the room service but the hotel itself was excellent and the location was convenient.

Been to Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista? Share your experiences!