“Good times!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
San Antonio, Texas
“Good times!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed for a week from 7/30 - 8/6 in building 26 St. Augustine and had a great time. We spent time at the pool and enjoyed the gym as well. The kids loved the pool with the pirate ship (I did too!). We spent much of our time at Universal Studios and had planned other places as well but were pretty comfortable here so were happy with a lazy day in the room and at the pool. I found the staff attentive and quick to respond to our needs. There were plenty of activities including movie nights and Zumba. When it rained they called with the rain plan for their activities. We loved it!
After reading some of the other reviews here I was not sure what to expect but we are happy and plan to return. I like the fact it's off the main drag as it's calmer/ quieter. Plenty of food options nearby as well. We liked the Wood Grill Buffet as it had a large selection that kept everyone happy as well as great service.
One annoyance was that it is a timeshare and they claim to be low or no pressure but that is not the case. Knowing that was coming I scheduled the meeting for the last day so as not to sour the beginning of the trip. They kept repeating it was no pressure but 3 hrs into a 1.5 hr meeting we finally got out of there. asking if they would be looking at their next owners seemed pushy to me. I did not care for their sales tactics at all. They pass you from one guy to the next and then there is another to check you out of the meeting disguised as an exit survey. We did not get the timeshare despite liking the property but will be back. They offered a package of days and SPG points which I thought was better than the $30k they wanted for the 2 bed 2 bath. We do plan on going back and highly recommend the St. Augustine building. We got a great deal that was better than being an owner so can't recommend that.

Room Tip: Ask for St. Augustine. It's near one of the pools that is kid friendly and shuts down at 10pm. T...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
svv-guest-services, Manager at Sheraton Vistana Villages - International Drive, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear LazyDaze777,

Thank you for your posting on Trip Advisor and on behalf of the entire Sheraton Vistana Villages team thank you for spending your Orlando vacation with us. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and were able to have that “lazy day” in the middle of your theme park trips. With our beautiful villas, great pools and awesome Fun Team activities you might say we are perfectly set up for lazy days.

We have also forwarded your comments concerning your Vacation Ownership presentation to our Senior Sales team for review and they will take all necessary corrective actions, including the coaching of our team members, to produce effective changes. While there are no obligations to attend or participate in the Product Update, the 90 minute presentation is a useful tool which benefits users of the Starwood Vacation Network. Please accept our sincere apologies to you and your family for the less than pleasant treatment you received from our sales team.

Resort Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
Falls Church, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We got here, thought it was beautiful & were so excited- then downhill all the way. We were placed in our room - bldg #5- horrible/disinterested customer service: complained about air conditioning- no one got back to us- we were told it didn't go below 70 degrees. fine. we called again b/c it was not going below 72- no one got back to us; now its not going below 74. In bathroom- wallpaper peeling off wall near tub, mold inside shower tiles. Living room door off the hinge; bedroom closet door, off the hinge. 1 spare roll of toilet paper for 2 bathrooms & 5 people. Came in to clean up today- took all the wash clothes, thank you for that, however didn't leave any new ones - found that out as I'm standing in the shower. Walked into the living room - right onto a big pile of water that had apparently been sloped from a bucket or something while whiping the floor. The worst is that after the complaints about the air conditioning, they had the nerve to have someone call to "welcome" us & invite us to a get together. I don't think they'd want me there because I'm still trying to get service and am now spewing venom with all communications. Last time we're here, we're back with Marriott - never had these problems at any of their properties.

Room Tip: Go with Marriott
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
svv-guest-services, General Manager at Sheraton Vistana Villages - International Drive, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Missie68,

Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor and thank you on behalf of the entire team here at the Sheraton Vistana Villages for spending your vacation with us here in Orlando. I regret to hear about the challenges you had with the air/conditioning and I wish I would have known about this situation as it unfolded as I would certainly liked to assist you while you were here at the Sheraton Vistana Villages. Did you notice the card next to your villa phone that encourages feedback? This is my direct extension feedback line that is monitored 24/7.

The Bella Village in which your villa was located will be completely renovated this fall, this is of course not an excuse for the maintenance issues that you encountered. I will address your experience with our Engineering and Housekeeping team leaders.

We take your feedback very seriously, and would appreciate any additional feedback you can share, please feel free to contact me on svvgm@starwoodvo.com

Many thanks and best regards,

Jorg Heyer - General Manager
Rugby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

A wonderful location, and fully equipped accommodation (a washing machine and dryer a bonus). Close to all major attractions and time share not hard sell.
The reason I havn't rated this as excellent is the housekeeping. So easy to resolve.
I request for toilet rolls (quite a basic need in any hotel) had to be repeated three times before any arrived. Towels were not changed regularly enough for our standards and as we were eating lunch on the 2nd Saturday when the maid arrived and I asked her not to disturb us our sheets were not changed for two weeks.
Do not let this put you off staying here as the resort is amazing!

Dear Patricia C,

Thank you for your posting on Trip Advisor and on behalf of the entire Sheraton Vistana Villages team thank you for spending your Orlando vacation with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the majority of your stay, especially your villa accommodations, and would also like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for the housekeeping inconveniences. We have already passed your concerns to our Housekeeping management team so that they may review their processes and procedures to better enhance future guest experiences. We would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to our resort at a future date so you can truly experience the Sheraton difference. Please do not hesitate to contact us at svvgm@starwoodvo.com once you have made your next booking so that we may properly tend to your reservation.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I am a Starwood Vacation Owner. My home property is the Westin Princeville Ocean Resort in Kauai, Hawaii. As an owner, I really want to like all of our Starwood properties. Unfortunately, the Sheraton Vistana Villages is a pretty mixed bag.

I've stayed here twice. First time in the Key West Village and second time in the Bella Village. Where relevant, I'll specify which village I'm talking about.

First the good:

1) Great location! Very convenient to both the Sea World and Disney resorts. There is also a Publix right down the street which is great for stocking up on groceries.

2) Beautiful grounds! The lakes, fountains, landscaping, etc. are beautiful and really well maintained. It really feels like a getaway here.

3) Well appointed kitchens! For the most part, they've stocked all of the key supplies to be able to do basic cooking. They don't provide rice cookers, however, which is a minus.

4) Washer and Dryer...big plus especially when you're spending lots of time at water parks.

Now the bad:

1) Musty smell! This is in the Bella Village in August (Key West in May was fine). Really bad musty odor and feel...my wife said it felt like our unfinished basement at home! The furniture all have some degree of that mildewy smell, which permeated the suite. We did have housekeeping come and run an ozone air deodorizer for a few hours which seemed to help. We also purchased some of those smell absorbers from Publix on our own dime to combat the musty odor.

2) Stained linens! We had a comforter and a pillow with what looked to be blood stains (or some other dark reddish-brown substance...). We also had multiple towels with what looked like long-term stains. They need to do better quality control on their linens and toss the stuff that is stained. Really gross.

3) Slow deliveries to the room! We had requested a number of items to be brought to the room like a roll-away bed and new linens (to replace stained linens above) and it took forever for them to be brought.

4) Slow/non-existent wifi! Yes, it's free and I guess this is an instance of you get what you pay for. From both the Key West unit and the Bella unit the wifi was really weak/inconsistent. Also, my Verizon LTE signal was really bad (but that's not Sheraton's fault)

5) BBQ grills are placed in wierd positions (mostly overlooking parking lots), and could be better maintained. For example, sometimes the grills looked like they hadn't been cleaned for some time, and the burners wouldn't light up consistently, or sometimes, wouldn't light at all. Also, the BBQ tools they provide are really pretty flimsy.

6) Room charge system. They make you carry this little cardstock card around to make any room charges...claim that it's more "secure" that way. Not sure why that would be since if someone were to misplace the card they could go crazy with it? Why is that more secure than just having someone verbally tell you their room number and having your system validate that the name matches the room? Seems odd, especially since every hotel in the world (certainly upscale ones) accept verbal room charges. It's very inconvenient since when you're relaxing by the pool the last thing you want to do is deal with another little card to make room charges.

7) "Owner update"...they kept on asking me to attend the owner update over and over. I attended the first time around (Key West stay) and ended up burning a lot of time. The second time (Bella) I did not want to attend and indicated as such to the fellow who called my room to track me down. The next day I got another voicemail asking me to come again, and increasing the number of starpoints they were willing to give me for attending. I didn't have time nor inclination to attend, but please take no for an answer!!

8) The Bella lockoff seems to be only one layer (i.e. one door) because on some nights we could hear the television noise coming through the door like it was in our own room!

9) Noise off the pool (Bella)...they don't close the pool til 1am, so if you don't mind hearing people partying at the pool until late night it's fine. Key West was very quiet when we stayed in May.

So, my experiences here have been strictly average. Definitely worse than I would expect from a Starwood property. I'm quite disappointed with the Vistana Villages. The only reason why I have stayed here twice is because the location is so excellent. If only they could get rid of the musty smell and stained linens it could be a 4 star at least. Very sad, because I want to enjoy this place. I hope they can fix some of these things and soon!!!

Room Tip: Bella is closer to the action, but the pool can be noisy at night. Key West is quiet but sometimes...
Dear David K,

On behalf of the entire team at Sheraton Vistana Villages we would like to thank you for sharing your comments regarding your previous stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences and understand that only regular feedback from our guests and owners allows us to constantly monitor our service levels and make necessary improvements. Unfortunately we did not meet your expectations during your second visit but we would certainly welcome the opportunity to speak to you in more detail to learn how you feel we could improve our overall services. We believe we offer an outstanding product to both our Owners and guests but do understand there is always room for improvement. Please contact us at svvgm@starwoodvo.com.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed for two weeks from July the 18th.

On arrival my Kids said WOW Dad how did you afford this ? The entrance is realy special. With a great reception we was shown our room was Key West Block 17 apartment 401 bedroom: nice and clean apart from the toe nails in the bed sette. This Kids blamed me I took the blame not letting on.
After reading the reviews befeore I left: I was well preepared for the time share (allocated days) in their words. They gave me 100 Dolas up front and free transport for the whole holiday to Disney parks they also enteratined the kids with Arcade games, I did not feel presured at all Part of his presentaction was a tour, two a 2 bedroom apartment, now listen up I chose a one bedroom because it was 200.00 english pound cheaper, if you are looking at sites and this is the case spend the exrta money it is 1500 square meter instead of 600 Yes the sales is. awkward but well worth the 90 minitues.

The BAD
Apart from toe nails and no change of loe roll. A day before leaving I wanted to make sure my balence was ok, Now I had played tennis aprox 10 Dollas and made ONE phone call not using their pre pais cards, I guessed it was going to be lower than their minimum 10 Dollar phone card? So I was looking at 20 Dollas. After giving 50 Dollas deposit of my Pre paid card not: Visa, Not Credit, not Debit They gave me a bill for over 100 Dollas, I asked how this could be possible, They stated even thou I bought pre paid sheraton phone cards they charge 85c every time I was conected? some times it took me four times to get connected I had a page full of 85c charges and my one call with out using the card was over 60 Dollas for a sevem miniute call. This is taking advantadge. After putting my case accros they took just under 30 Dolas of. So their I was with no money to return and them claming more money. For me I was not worried As I has used my pre paid card and 50 Dollas was agreed I would not have 30 Dollas returned but I also wouldent have to pay over my pre agreed amount on my PRE PAID CARD BY (TRAVELEX) Returning to the uk I phoned Travelex and they state the whole bill has been charged from my account, I can not close my account because Sheraton still have a bill pending. How can Sheraton over withdraw from a 50 Dolla aggrement . I see sheraton reply to this site and I will look forward to you Answer. Once my bill has stopped pending I will also phone Travelex and demand any money over 50 Dollas to be returned. Overall great great trip. Last Words keep up to date with statments and be care full with the phone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Stirchley01,

On behalf of the entire team at Sheraton Vistana Villages we would like to thank you for sharing your comments regarding your previous stay with us. While we are pleased that you enjoyed the majority of your stay we do wish to sincerely apologize for the issues you have listed in your posting. On your behalf we have forwarded your comments to our Housekeeping management team for review and we would also like to follow-up with you in regards to your telephone calls. However, your posting does not provide enough information to allow us to locate your reservation. Please contact us at svvgm@starwoodvo.com as we would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the issues you have brought forward.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

If you don't mind driving about 15 minutes to the Disney parks, this is a great option. It's actually a timeshare property. We stayed in a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom condo that was really large (about 1,200 square feet), with a full kitchen, washer/dryer, dining room, living room and balcony. Everything looked new and they came to clean the place every day. The complex is large, with pools throughout. The closest pool was a 10 second walk, and it was huge with a waterfall, a small kiddy wading pool, two hot tubs and a very large pool. Above the pool was a large gym which I used every morning. The cardio machines were updated and the space was large. There was plenty of parking right in front of our condo. One day we ordered lunch at another pool and the waitstaff was friendly and the food was good. There is a Super Walmart about 2 miles away; when we arrived, we just made a trip to Walmart and stocked up on drinks, snacks and food for breakfast and we were good for the week.

The only cons were:
--No lifeguards at the pools. It was very hard to believe this, given most people come with children to visit Disney World. We have a 9 and 6 year old so it was a little more stressful to watch them...the pools are so large that no matter where you sat, you could not see them and we had to constantly "find them" and make sure all was ok.
--No laundry detergent. Yes, this is petty, but we've stayed at other timeshares with washers/dryers and they always gave us detergent. We packed light knowing we would do the laundry once and had to run out to a local store to buy some.
--The lobby where you check in is less than impressive. This was our first impression of the place so we got a little concerned; look past the lobby (you only need to check in there and then never go back) because the condos themselves are beautiful.
--The "pitch". The salespeople harassed us at least once a day, trying to get us to come to a timeshare presentation in return for $100. I understand this is their job, but after four phone calls, we thought they should have given it a rest.

Overall, this was the perfect place for our family. Much more affordable than staying on Disney property, close to restaurants and the parks, very large and new, clean and relaxing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear MomOfTwo77,

Thank you for your posting on Trip Advisor and on behalf of the entire Sheraton Vistana Villages team thank you for spending your Orlando vacation with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the majority of your stay and would also like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us. We truly appreciate the feedback as it provides our resort with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. We do hope all the positives you experienced (resort villa, award winning pools and prime location) will allow you to consider us as your permanent Orlando resort for future visits. Please do not hesitate to contact us at svvgm@starwoodvo.com once you have made your next reservation so that we can personally attend to your requests and needs.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

You can't beat this location. Sheraton Vistana Villages is less than 2 miles from Seaworld, Aquatica and Discovery Cove. We visited all 3 parks. FUN! Since it's right on International Dr, the restaurant mecca, with endless dining options. No way you go hungry! I did an exchange with Interval International(II) and requested either the Key West or St. Augustine villas. The units were practically sold out for the week of July 26. I didn't get St Augustine ( the newest section with the waterslide, pool, market place and internet facility). But Key West was not a shabby deal, since it was recently renovated and much quieter than any other part of the resort. If you are a Starwood vacation owner or II member, the resort will hit you up for time-share presos, it's never just 2 hours like they pitched, it's more like 4 hrs. I would just ignore them and go on with your Sea World adventures. The staff are very helpful. Although the bath room could use extra scrubbing. I had to call the front desk to get the maid to come by.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor for noise reduction. If you want peace and quiet, request rooms in Key West. I...
Dear cc m,

Thank you for your posting on Trip Advisor and on behalf of the entire Sheraton Vistana Villages team thank you for spending your Orlando vacation with us. Your stay in the Key West village highlights one of the better kept secrets of our resort. You are nestled in the quietest village (peace and serenity) yet are a short stone’s throw from all our great resort amenities and activities. We would also like to thank you for pointing out our prime location and including our proximity to the theme parks and many dining options. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sheraton Vistana Villages sometime in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us at svvgm@starwoodvo.com once you have made your next reservation so that we can personally attend to your requests and needs.

Resort Management

Been to Sheraton Vistana Villages - International Drive? Share your experiences!