“Enjoyed the Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Pop Century Resort

You added Disney's Pop Century Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Pop Century Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1050 Century Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #119 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Certificate of Excellence 2014
canada
“Enjoyed the Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2006

Went for 4 nights Oct 29-Nov 1... very much enjoyed the stay. It was very clean, all services were more than adequate and exactly what we expected for a value resort at Disney. They even had a little Halloween parade, treats for kids and adults, and many other Halloween activities. We are a family of 2 adults a 4yr old and 2yr old with no complaints about this resort.
We drove from Windsor, ON, Canada(never bring a 2yr old boy in a van for long distances) so we had our car available. We drove to all parks, took the monorail and boats as well with no issues and no extra fees. This resort is newer and in my opinion well taken care of in all regards.

• Liked — Cost and cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,330)
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2006

My partner and I stayed at Pop Century for one week in September and loved it. We stayed in a hotel on International Drive the next week which was a little cheaper but nowhere as nice in comparison.

Check in was straight forward and the rooms were a nice size and clean. My only criticism would be the food onsite which was poor, but the refillable mugs were great value. We made good use of the Disney transportation but I can imagine there would be long waits for buses during busy periods.

We loved this hotel so much we have booked to go back next year!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2006

This hotel was superb!! I cannot recommened it enough! It was great value, and even though it was part of the Disney's "budget" accomadation, you were treated like royalty.
As me and my boyfriend are under 25 we cannot hire a car in the USA so we thought the best way to get around would be to stay in a disney hotel which was safe and secure and gave you free transportation to the parks.
The buses to the parks came regualarly (the most we ever had to wait was 10 mins! and we did go in peak season!) they can get a little cramped, but bearing in mind the furthest park is Magic Kingdom, and even that only took about 15 mins!
The hotel itself and the bedrooms were exceptionally clean, the whole place was magical, with disney music playing, and a disney themed shop etc. It was great, as when you got back from the parks you still felt part of the magic.
The pool was clean and warm, and although at times it could get crowded, there were lifeguards on hand to stop boistorous behaviour!!
As everybody else suggets, you must purchase the pop century refillable mugs they will save you a fortune!!
The food was typically american e.g. burgers, pizzas, but if you did fancy a change then you could have the themed food for that night (typically called "mums night off!")e.g. roast dinner (a welcome change!).
The staff were so friendly, and you could tell that they all genuinly loved there jobs, they always had a smile on there face and nothing was too much trouble.
We stayed in the 50's building which was in good proximity to the food court and reception, and it also had a great pool.
There is an arcade in there which can get addictive! But I guess thats all part of the fun!!
If you are choosing between the Disney All stars resorts and the Pop Century (as they are on the same budget level) then I would recommened the Pop Century. No, I didn't stay at the All Stars and never have, but I did see it, and I did go inside, and yes they are very similar, but the Pop Century is a little more spacious and modern. Also we met a couple staying at the All Stars and they said that the Pop Century looked a lot nicer (not that the All Stars isn't nice but you get my drift!)
If you do decide to go here then in the words of the staff..... "Have a magical stay!"

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Have a magical stay!
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Waterford, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

My husband, 4 year old son and I stayed at the Pop Century from September 23 - 30. We really enjoyed our stay! We checked in on a Saturday afternoon and the check in line was long. It took us about an hour to go through it. I'm sure it was because it was Saturday. The cast members at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. We got to our room and it was small and clean. The beds are small and by the third night they get a little hard. We didn't hear any noise from the rooms next to us or from the pool area. We were towards the end of the building so that did help. We had the towel art in the window which my son loved. We stayed in the 60s building in a preferred room. It was very convenient to the pool, lobby, cafeteria and laundry facitities. The grounds of the hotel were well manicured. It was nice to take a walk around the property to see all of the other buildings and how they were decorated for that decade. The pool areas are great. We only swam in the 60s pool. I didn't think it got too overcrowded. In the afternoon the pool was a little busier with quite a few people cooling off which we did a few times ourselves. The food at the cafeteria wasn't bad. It was better then I expected. There were a lot of choices. We mainly ate there for breakfast. There was french toast, chocolate chip pancakes, omlets etc... We were on the dining plan which I highly recommend! We usually paid for our breakfast since it tends to be the least expensive meal for the day. We did use our snacks for the day. There is a lot of choices for the snacks. I was really surprised. You can get a small milk and little container of cereal for one of your snacks or a yogurt parfeit or bowl of grapes or fresh fruit or a muffin etc... I could go on and on because there was a lot of choices. The cafeteria did get busy. There are 4 different counter service lines to order food depending on what you want. If you go a little earlier you won't have to wait to long. Overall we really enjoyed the Pop Century. We would stay there again. If you have stayed at the moderate or deluxe Disney properties before you may not like the Pop Century. For my family it was perfect. We were at the parks most of the day and were at the Pop Century at night to sleep.

Here is some other things about our vacation that isn't related to the Pop Century but may be helpful.

1) We did the dining plan - highly recommend it. It was worth it!
2) If you do the dining plan make dinner reservations in advance. We saw a lot of people turned away because they didn't have resvervations and restuarants we fully booked.
3) We rented a car. We had my 4 year old and we didn't want to have to wait for a bus if he was cranky. We are glad we did. We saw the buses packed with people. If you stay at one of the on sight properties you can park for free at the parks.
4) Go to the water parks if you get a chance - they were so much fun and it is a nice break from the parks.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
Greenville, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2006

My wife, kids and I were coming back from a wedding in the Keys, so we stopped by here for 4 nights. This was the first time we have stayed on the Disney property and will from now on. I know it costs more, but we like the Disney feel throughout our stay there.
First, check in was a breeze although they were having a system upgrade so they could not put charging privledges on our room cards until the next day, but that was fine. We "hiked" to our rooms and found it to be great. We were in the 50's section, room 3430 which actually is in the back but looks straight toward the other parks. We could see the fireworks everynight from our balcony.
Our room had 2 queen size beds and worked out fine for us. We actually had room in there for our 4 month old's pack and play crib. We did have a towel figure the first day, but after that, it was just straightened up. I think our 3 year old would have loved to see more towel figures, but that's fine. I will have to agree with some of the other reviewers, if you are looking for peace and quiet, the pool area is not the place to be. The whole place gets pretty active around 7 or so in the am, so you will hear doors open and closing, super toilets (you have to see these things) flushing, etc. Never really woke me completely up and out of bed, but just be warned... it is noisy.
The food court/gift shop was a good walk away, but wasn't too bad. I think it was around 250 steps one way. The food there was good and the portions were big enough that we wouldn't have to buy for our 3 year old, just shared. I liked the selections although we weren't there but for 4 night, we never got bored with it. Do try the chicken ceasar salad.... great.
Like everyone else on here has suggested, do buy the Pop Century refillable mugs. By far a bargain. They come in two sizes although I was told they hold the same. One has a smaller bottom for using in a car. They can be used for hot chocolate, coffee, teas, or cokes. If you don't buy them, you will be in the minority, believe me.
One thing that helped me was that since it's a long way to your car from the room, do use one of their dollys if you are unloading/loading youself. They just need a room key and you sign for them.. no charge.
We never used the buses to travel to the parks but just used our vehicle so I can't say about the buses, although the lines didn't look too long. If you do use your car, you are not charged parking since you are staying on a property. I also like the fact that you can use your room key to charge anywhere at Disney. Comes in real handy.
Overall, we really liked the place. Clean, fun, staff very friendly, there is no doubt that when we go back, this is the place we will stay at again !!

• Liked — Location to the parks
  • Disliked — Really huge when it comes to carrying baggage to your room
  • Tips/Secrets — Buy the refillable mugs, stay away from the pool area if you are looking for quiet.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bradenton, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2006

We stayed here mid-week in October. We had two rooms that they were able to make connecting.

We live in Florida and have seasonal passes to Disney. We've stayed at all of the value resorts and this one is my favorite (next choice would be All Star Movies).

The buildings are decorated in decade themes (60's, 70's, 80's & 90's). This last time we were in a building that had Rubik's cube for the stairwell and Pac Man with all the little ghosts on the railings. We were close to the Playground which was nice since we had a 3 year old, 2 year old and 1 year old in our group.

The main pool is very nice. It has flowers spraying water out of them and there were also beach balls and noodles for the kids to play with. There was also the Computer pool close to our building, basic square, but a large and convienent pool.

The food court is cafeteria style, but I've always felt there are more than enough options to fit your mood. It's also nice that they have refrigerated section that is open late (midnight) that has milk and such for little ones when you get back from the parks.

After staying at all 4, this one appears to be the newest. Nicer dressers, have both irons/ironing boards and hair dryers. (i.e. Sports does not have hair dryers). Minor detail, but a nice convenience. We commonly stay in these because we figure we don't go to Disney to sit in the room anyway. The room IS basic, two double beds, T.V., bathroom, sink, table & 2 chairs, etc. Rates are commonly very good. Not to mention the continuous transportation to the parks, downtown disney, waterparks, etc.

If you're reading this review to compare to some of the economy hotels in the area, if you factor in that it costs $10 a day to park at Disney it's a deal to usually stay at a Value Resort.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Check in lines are commonly long
Southampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2006

Myself,my partner and our 2 children stayed here for 2 weeks in the 90`s part of the resort featuring the larger than life cell phones and laptops.
The rooms are a little on the small size but but are light and very cool and with the amount of time you spend in them this does not really matter.
The everything pop shop was great for all the little gifts for family and friends but was a little exspensive,the 3 pools are fantastic for those early morning or late night swims,but the everything pop food court did not come high on our list of places to eat.
For 2 weeks you had the same menu night after night so really had to reveiw on the best places to eat, we would recommend the rainforest cafe in animal kingdom,this was a little exspensive but well worth the money as the children loved it.
Transportation to the parks can get very busy but is good value for your money and the housekeeping was fantastic to.
Would recommend this hotel to any family with children .
Looking foward to taking all 4 of our children and my mum next september.

• Liked — Nice and bright and cool on the hot days
  • Disliked — the food court
  • Tips/Secrets — find somewhere else to eat rather than the pop food court
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!