“3rd stay at the Pop!! GREAT value resort!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Pop Century Resort

You added Disney's Pop Century Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Pop Century Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1050 Century Drive, Lake Bueno Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #114 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Kansas City, MO
“3rd stay at the Pop!! GREAT value resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I do LOVE the Pop Century! I stayed here in April 2006, June 2007, and just returned from a June 2013 stay. Each stay was 5 nights. This review is mostly based on my most recent stay.

The Pop Century is a great choice for a value resort,...and I do think it is a wonderful choice, but remember you get what you pay for. That being said....if you are a healthy adult and either aren't traveling with children, or have children that don't need naps- this is a great choice!!

We booked a family vacation ( 2 adults and a 4 1/2 year old) through Southwest vacations. It was really nice doing their package because you are able to see the different hotel choices and price differences easily. I have booked all 3 of my Disney World trips using the Birnbaum's Walt Disney World books (amazon for 12 to 14.00). That book has never led me wrong and I recommend it to EVERYONE.

My last 2 stays at the Pop were with 2 adults only, this time with a 4 1/2 year old it was a whole different ballgame.

Magical Express: from the airport- a GREAT service and has always been wonderful. This time on the way there we got an ugly yellow and black Mears bus instead of a pretty blue Magical express one. The driver was nice, but the TVs and sound system with the "Disney movie" they show didnt work. This did not help our moods after traveling for over 6 hours at this point.

Arrival: We stopped at the Art of Animation first and then the Pop. When we pulled up there were cast members outside with a bubble machine as you got off the bus. This was fantastic and made my child FINALLY smile after a LONG trip. I had done online checkin, so we were in pretty quickly,. We arrived at 2:00pm local time and the room was ready. I paid for a preferred room and it was WELL worth it. We were in room 5156, very close to the Hippy Dippy Pool and the main Classic Hall. Bus Stops are still quite a walk.
The lady checking us in was sweet, and my child was very unhappy. I told her it was his 1st visit so she gave us buttons to wear. As he was melting down in the lobby...another cast member talked to him and offered to get him a balloon which he refused, but a nice gesture by the employee. I can't fault anyone there, they were all cheerful, bright, and looking to attend to guest issues.

Our room was pleasantly close, per the Preferred room option, and our luggage arrived about an hour after we did. It is soooo nice that they check your luggage and it just shows up in your room. The room was very clean and very adequate., The beds are full sized, not queen...so yes they are small. The bathroom and everything is just small,. There are mini fridges now and the TV was nice. We never heard any noise from anyone walking by or in other rooms...but I am sure the pool side rooms are much noisier. I had previously stayed in the 50's and 70's sections.

The grounds were clean, the pools were clean, and there were always plenty of lifeguards at the Hippy Dippy Pool ( we didnt go to the others) and there were fun games going on poolside, There is also a nice bar out there. I would have loved to enjoy a day or 2 at the pool....but we spent a lot of money to travel to WDW and I feel like we can swim at home, so we only spent a few hours at the pools.

The Everything Pop Shopping and Dining is awesome., Another perk of the Pop Century. The store is large and well stocked,. the dining has several selections. They are ALL slow. You just can't get in a hurry anywhere at Disney World. We did the dining plan with the mugs. On our first day, a very nice older lady named Roma explained our mugs and the dining with us. At each quick service meal you get a drink and entree AND dessert. So if you are using the refillable mugs...still grab a bottle of pop or water for the fridge. It's included. ALWAYS get a dessert! The Pop is famous for Tie Dyed Cheesecake (in the back glass cases). My son LOVED it and ate at least 8 pieces over 5 days. Its a great deal! If you choose a sundae they will stamp your receipt and you take it back to the sundae shop side when you are ready. Many of the food employees ddi not speak English well, be kind and patient.
The arcade is HUGE and nice!!

Busses- the busses take you everywhere and that is the perk of staying on property. The EPCOT bus was HORRIBLE. We almost missed a Princess lunch at Akershus due to waiting over 35 minutes for an EPCOT bus. They say "busses run approx every 20 min" and they also say.... "allow 90 min to travel for dining across WDW"
We got in line at 2:00 for a 2:50 reservation at EPCOT's Akershus. The bus came at 2:35. we arrived at EPCOT at 2:50 and had to RUN in 90 degree heat. I had called the dining reservation line and front desk twice. They were very unhelpful and said if we didn't arrive 15 min past the time we would e charged the cancellation fee. I was really mad, the busses were just awful to EPCOT.
Often when the lines were long...you have to wait for a 2nd or 3rd bus but they seem fine except to EPCOT. If there is a wheelchair or scooter they will always load first, but be patient and kind. The bus stops for Pop Century are always the farthest away as you leave the parks!! Boo!!

In a nutshell this is a GREAT place to stay....but when you leave your room, walk to the bus stop, wait in line, ride on a bus, and walk to the entrance....it will take around 45 min to an hour to reach Magic Kingdom, and about 30 min or more to reach EPCOT, Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom.
I loved the Pop as a healthy adult....but my child was miserable with the distances and waiting. I had rented him a stroller from the Magic Strollers and it was a LIFESAVER but he was still exhausted. I don't plan to return to Disney until he is at least 6 or 7...and until I can afford the Polynesian Resort. I REALLY would love to stay there. I feel like we spent at least a full day of our 5 day trip waiting in lines or riding on busses. Being on the monorail route (Polynesian) would have been a DREAM.... and time is money when you try to squeeze everything into 5 days (impossible). I love DIsney!!!

**Last note, the night before we left...the note arrived with flight info. We were able to go the next morning to the luggage desk (outside) and CHECK our luggage right there for our flight on Southwest! Awesome! Then the pretty blue Magical Express Bus took us right to our spot to fly home. That was really nice! (dont forget tip money). I know Disney is $$$$$$ But if you can't afford to tip, then save up! There are people all over (servers, luggage handlers, maids) that count on tips. I did NOT tip the daily Disney transportation drivers and didn't notice anyone else doing so.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,139)
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This Disney resort is beautiful and vibrant. The colors and different accents are stunning. It is very nice to walk around and see the sights of the multi-acre resort. Every Disney employee you see are always smiling and eager to help.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We have stayed at Pop Century many times. We lucked out this last time. Our housekeeper Martha was wonderful. Kept our room clean and was always quick to respond to our requests for more towels, pillows etc...She always had a smile and wave whenever she saw us. True Disney magic. She is an asset to Disney. Could see her in a position that uses her to her best potential. Thanks Martha for a great Disney experience. The Scholls.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Grimsby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is the best value resort on Disney property. It is a wonderful hotel, all be it very large, with all the basic amenities you would need. I mean you are not at Disney to spend all your time in your hotel room, or at least we are not. For value and location this place cannot be beat. We have stayed at value, moderate, deluxe and campground facilities at Disney, and if you just want a place to sleep at night after long days touring the parks then this is the place to stay. Yes it can be busy and noisy but that is all the fun of this resort.
Food at the food court is typical Disney quick fare. It can be challeging at times to find a table. The food is neither awful or spectacular, but great for a quick stop if you want something in a hurry.
This resort is my children's choice when we go to Disney and decide to stay at a value resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
temecula
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed here during my FIRST WDW visit in Dec 2012; in June 2013, I rented a car.

PROS: CLEAN rooms, clean facility - typical Disney quality. Price was not horrible with a Disney pass discount. NO parking fees. NO resort fees. Room was PERFECT! The room also had a fridge/micro. Free transportation to all Disney properties/parks.

CON (only one): the bus situation. While the lines are not horrible, and buses come fairly often, if there is a guest with a wheel chair waiting to load, you are required to wait for that guest, and their family. At first, it's understandable. But when you've stayed here for five days, and you take the buses multiple times each day, it gets ridiculous. In addition to waiting for the bus, the driver has to get out, put the ramp down, move the seat for the wheel chair, help the guest in, tie down the wheel chair, then let that family board - so there goes quite a few seats.

Additionally, if you're a gentleman, or polite individual, be prepared to stand on each bus trip. Even if you're lucky enough to get a seat, you'll feel guilty when someone is standing next to you..

My advice: priceline/Hotwire a rental car - there are so many companies that you're bound to get one cheap.

But I would DEFINITELY recommend staying here, or ANY Disney resort.

Another tip: if you're Pop Century bus is full, or you JUST missed a Pop Century bus, take an Art of Animation bus - the resorts are right across from each other and both buses will get you there.

Room Tip: Art of Animation or Pop Century bus will work.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed @ the pop century for a few days in June. It's definitely a less expensive option for Disney travelers. The shuttles are for pop guests only so you don't make a million stops getting to and from Disney parks. That's the only plus. Guest relations (checking in and out both) were horrifyingly slow. Food was cafeteria style but less than mediocre. $10 for a cheeseburger that was far inferior to McDonald's. I never ate a single thing that I would call good. Zero amenities in rooms- towels thin and cheap, no lotion, walls were paper thin. The pool was nice: activities for the kiddos and a decent bar, but no beach towels. You had to use the same thin cheap bath towels provided in rooms. All in all, you get what you pay for and this is probably the least expensive hotel in Disney. Think motel 6 @ 3X the price. Skip the meal plan and eat elsewhere & you wi probably be ok.

• Stayed July 2012
Easton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed at Disney's Pop Century Resort for our first ever family trip to Disney. Because our boys are young (6 and 3.5 at the time), we paid the upgrade for a preferred room and were placed in the 60's building. It was a short distance to the main hall where the food court, check-in, arcade and bus stop which was nice considering how much walking we had to do when we got to the parks. The buses were fine - there ALWAYS seemed to be a long line for the bus at the park we planned to hit that day - I guess everyone was looking at the same touring plans we were! Food court had a huge selection, which we only used for breakfast - and we found everything to be clean and efficient. Cast members were fun and used "groovy" language to add to the experience. Would stay here again if we decide to go value - the walk across the bridge to Art of Animation was a pleasant one, too!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near your favorite icons! Our kids loved walking past the giant PlayDoh icon each day...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!