“Thanksgiving 2012” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Pop Century Resort

You added Disney's Pop Century Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Pop Century Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1050 Century Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #119 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, California
“Thanksgiving 2012”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel is great, especially if you have young kids. The room is just big enough for 4 people, 2 adults and 2 kids. The bus service from this hotel was the best out of any hotel we have stayed at (AK Lodge and All Star Resorts). There was a good variety of food choices at court. The shower was hot and the A/C worked well. The only complaint I would have is that the rooms need to be upkept a little better, the paint on our door had dripped when it was re-painted and the carpet was stained. The service was ok, some of the food court people did not seem too happy to be there. I will say when I stayed at AK, I felt cheated for the price we paid and what we got.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,316)
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This was my first ever trip to Disney and I knew I wanted a value resort to save money. I chose Pop Century after reading reviews here. You will see both good and bad – you just have to weed through them and go with your gut instinct.

I agree with those who said the rooms were very clean – extremely clean in my opinion.

We stayed at the very far end of the 50s buildings. At first, I got confused walking to and from the main building, but then I looked at the map and realized the hotel buildings were a T shape. That and a good night’s rest made finding my way easy. Don’t try to take a short cut – there isn’t one – it’s easy to walk the wrong way on the T if you take an elevator to a 2nd or 3rd floor room.

Even though we were at the far end, I think the perception that this is a 5 or 10 minute walk is more because we have become a car dependent society and don’t walk anywhere unless we have to. Granted, we were 2 adults; someone with mobility issues or young children may wish to stay in a closer building– I’m not sure if the preferred rates actually get you closer.

While others mention hearing noise from adjoining rooms, we did not have that problem. Since we only had 1 room on the side (end unit), perhaps that was a factor. I suspect the noise level varies with the guests. Some folks are just louder. Perhaps some of the buildings are better insulated or else my hearing is weaker.

I used the Internet daily – the speed was fine, the signal consistent. There is no business center with computers for guests, although staff said you can go across to Art of Animation.

Art of Animation is across the lake and at first glance seems very far away – it’s really not. A short bridge connects the two resorts. They have some cute themed pools and decoration, if you feel like an evening stroll and exploring more. Their food court has some more upscale food choices at dinner – although I got sick from my pasta our last night when we decided to grab dinner there.

The buses to and from the parks were dedicated to our resort. I only rode them in the morning and evening. I don’t know if this typical during mid-day or varies during the day or year round/seasonally.

There was road construction on some evenings after dark, I heard someone on the bus say we were rerouted on the way home because of it. The ride did seem long and a little like we were going in circles one night – so perhaps that is why. I don’t remember seeing construction during the day. It’s Disney; they may schedule all construction at night for traffic reasons.

We ate breakfast there most mornings on the Dining Play. Our entrée and a bottle of orange juice ran about $12.50. If you have the souvenir mug, you can get soda, coffee, hot chocolate every morning at no charge. The breakfast entrees were listed about $7. If you eat lighter, there was fruit, rolls, and other items for a few dollars less.

I always like rooms that have the sink separate from the tub so 2 can be getting ready at once. Disney takes this a step further with a curtain that can be pulled shut to block most of the light between the sink and room. Great when 1 person is up earlier or later and affords some privacy.

Rooms were big enough for me. Bigger than expected after reading other reviews – but maybe that’s because we just had 2 people – not a family of 3 or 4.

I think there was 1 luggage holder – I don’t know why hotels don’t provide 2. Especially a place like Disney, which caters to families. They did have 3 nice hooks on the bathroom room – handy for recycling/separating towels.

If I were to head back to Disney, I would definitely consider the Pop Century as my home base.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We had read lots of reviews after we booked this hotel. Our family of 3 stayed there for 12 nights and we found that the hotel was everything we had expected. This was our first time to Disney World so we wanted to stay where we could spend less on a hotel and more on our Disney experience. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone on a small or large budget, if your just looking for a place to sleep at night then this is your place. There are lots of things to see, swimming pools, arcade, gift shop and restaurant.(although I wouldn't really recommend the restaurant) The only reason I wouldn't recommend the restaurant is because of the price, now I knew going into this that things would be expensive so I'm not going to go into a big rant about how expensive it was but lets just say for a family of 3 to have a hot meal whether its breakfast, lunch or supper you can easily spend $40 per meal for food that really isn't that great. I'm not saying the food is horrible, it's definately edible just not great. The staff at the hotel was great always friendly. Our room was always clean, towels and toiletries replenished daily. The room isn't big by any means but remember you didn't go there to sit in the room all day. Bus service was great, never waited longer than 20 min for a bus, if anything we waited longer for a return bus at the parks at the end of the day to come home but it beats driving yourself. We paid for a prefered room which I would highly recommend if you want quiet, if you want silence don't go to Disney because although it is for everyone it's really all about the kids. If I were to book again I would definately stay here again. We also didn't do the Disney dining plan so if you have the time look into it and see if its worth the price.

Room Tip: If you want quiet get a preferred room with a lake view in the 70's section. Its not too far of...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I know this review is a few months late, but I stayed at Disney's Pop Century resort in August of this year with my three daughters for 11 days.

Our room was right by one of the pools in the fifty's section, just down the hall from the giant 'Lady' figurine from Lady and the Tramp.

The room was very clean, and the housekeeper always did a marvelous job on maintaining cleanliness during our stay at Disney.

My most favourite (sorry for the 'u' I'm Canadian) moments, other than the parks, was night time at Pop Century resort. After a long day in the parks and eating at the fabulous restaurants, my girls and I would take mid-night dips in the pool. It was peaceful and always clean!

The staff was always friendly and polite and they were so helpful! People may make mention on the size of the room, but it's perfect! For what you pay for, you get a fun atmosphere that stays true to the spirit of Disney, you get a place to sleep and bathe, and really, what more do you need when you spend most of your time outside anyway! lol

It's now December and my girls continue to cry about how much they want to go back, especially since Fantasyland is being renovated. And, more specifically, the want to go back to Pop Century! Yes, they know of Disney's Art of Animation, but there's something about Pop that they just can't get enough of!

Truly a magical experience filled with memories that will last for generations.

Room Tip: At the end of the day, after walking around the parks, and standing in line for your bus back to you...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Stirling, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We booked Pop Century as we love to stay onsite at Disney but had a much smaller budget than usual. We'd never stayed at a value before and most recently had only stayed at deluxe hotels so were a bit apprehensive about Pop. We needn't have worried. It's Disney's usual great quality. The rooms are small but clean and well maintained. The beds were much more comfortable than I expected. The only thing the rooms lack is a coffee maker which we really felt as we were not located near the food court. It was maybe a 5-10 minute walk away from where we were in the 80's building.
Positives were great theming, clean and well maintained hotel with good facilities. Everywhere is close to a pool and they all have laundry facilities. All rooms have fridges now which is great. The food court has a good variety and we never found it too busy, even in the morning.
Negatives - as two adults we found it a bit noisy and at one point were woken from sleep by what sounded like a member of staff talking to a guest who had just arrived quite late. It's very spread out and usually with those kind of resorts you can park close to your room but Pop isn't laid out that way. The lack of coffee machine was a bit of a negative too.
Overall I like Pop but think it's more suited to people with kids. If I was on a budget again and it was Pop or stay offsite I'd choose Pop for that Disney magic.

Room Tip: Everywhere other than the 60's building seems to be a 5-10 minute walk from the food court.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

After two years of careful planning we finally went to our dream destination, Walt Disney Florida. For us its a really looong journey since we flew in from Singapore to JFK and after 24 hours of flying we had to take another domestic flight from JFK to Orlando which was another 3 hours. Phewww...
Fortunately everything went on smooth and easy as per planned, travelling with young kids through super long flights were certainly not a delightful experience. Upon arrival in MCO (Orlando airport) we collected our luggages and proceed straight to Disney Magic Express counter to register for the free transfer from MCO to POP CENTURY RESORT. Registration and transfer were quick and easy and the coach took about half hour to reach POP CENTURY RESORT. Check in were normal. Staff was friendly and accomadating. We ve got room by pool in the 1990s which was really nice. But what puzzled us was that theres no kettle in the room. Unlike Disney resorts in Paris where u can borrow a kettle with a deposit, theres no kettle provided at all at POP CENTURY. It was very inconvinient for us as we were travelling with infant and needed hot water to make formula milk regularly. Beside formula, we were unable to cook other instant stuff like noodles, soup, porridge etc..
We chose POP CENTURY overlooking the fact that kettle not provided. If only it was made known to us earlier, we certainly would choose some other Disney resort. Call me petty but to me a KETTLE in each room is very basic

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We liked resort, it was a clean fun place to stay; however, the rooms and beds were small and after staying for a week, not very comfortable. But hey you're at Disney- who needs sleep? You're there for fun! The dining area had many options to choose from and the arcade our children loved. The pools were heated and stayed open 24 hours along a laundry area. The staff was FANTASTIC! Everyone and I do mean everyone was so accommodating and friendly. I would recommend this resort for a great Disney trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!