“Great Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Pop Century Resort

Save Saved
You added Disney's Pop Century Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Pop Century Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1050 Century Drive, Lake Bueno Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #117 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Columbus, Ohio
“Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

There are pros and cons with Pop Century but for what we come to Disney for the pros far outweigh the cons.

Pros - Rooms now have small refrigerators which is a big plus, room was kept clean and the housekeepers did "cute" little things every day like putting the stuffed animals on the beds together, making little things out of the washcloths, etc, lots of fun decor in the check-in area, kids can walk to the cafeteria and play area, kids love the pool and there's lots of fun things for them to do at the resort.

Cons - The rooms and beds were small and I found the beds to be a little uncomfortable )but it didn't stop me from falling asleep), you can hear a lot through the walls, including as someone else said the plumbing noises from other rooms, check-in or service at the front can take a while.

We come to Disney for the parks and aren't in the room very much, so this resort serves our purpose just fine. We could stay at any of the resorts but my thought is why spend 3-4 times as much when you're going to be in the room 2-3 hours per day outside of sleeping. That being said, we did book a moderate resort for our next trip mainly to experience something different and the bigger beds. This is our 6th visit to Disney and we've only stayed here or at resorts that are closeby. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who cares more about the experience at the parks and the environment you are in while at the resort.

Room Tip: Pool preferred rooms are great
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,078)
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Very happy with our stay at this Disney property ! We have in the past stayed @ one of their other resorts on site (more expensive) and we liked this one better ! The room was SUPER CLEAN, new furnishings with the 70's era look - they were super accommodating - placed close to Classic Hall, ground floor, king size bed etc. Housekeeping decorates the room with loads of towel animals which adds to the whimsy. There is a small in room fridge - only draw back no mini coffee maker. Their is an adjoining path to the new Art of Animation Resort so you may wander over to check out this new property also. The Hippy Dippy Pool is huge - the kids will LOVE IT ! Can say enough - very pleased with our visit @ this resort - just wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: 70's era building is close to everything - classic hall, pool, bus transportation
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I recently stayed at the Pop Century resort for my honeymoon, from October 28th - November 11 2012. This was not my first time staying here, as I stayed here back in April of 2008, and it is a great resort for the price you pay.

We checked in late, around 10:30 pm, and it was a breeze. The room we stayed at was in building 10, which is in the 70's section of the resort, and had 2 double beds. The room itself is a bit small, so I wouldn't want to stay here with any more than 3 adults, and a family of 4 might find it too cramped, but it was clean. The quality beds themselves weren't great, however that didn't hinder my sleeping at all, as I got good, full-night's sleeps each and every night. The decor of the rooms is also fairly neutral. It's not hideous, but it's not breathtaking either, which is about what you would expect from a value resort. I found that you could hear small children running around, either from the walkway outside the room, or from adjacent rooms, so just be aware that the rooms aren't exactly sound proof.

The resort grounds have lots of fun things to explore, and pools to swim in. It was too chilly for us to swim during our stay, so I can't comment on the pools, but we did explore the grounds of the resort a bit one day, which was a nice relaxing break from the parks.

We also found the bus service from this resort to be quite good, which is something I remembered being terrible on my last stay. We never had to wait any longer than 5-10 minutes for a bus going to our destination, and coming back from a recently closed park didn't take as long as I was expecting, though we did have to stand on the bus several times (which is to be expected coming back at that time of night). Also, the location of the resort relative to the parks isn't that bad, the longest bus ride to a park might take about 10-13 minutes. On the way back from the parks it just takes 5 minutes from Hollywood Studios, but getting back from the Magic Kingdom takes a little while, probably 15-20 minutes.

Everything Pop, the resort's food court and combined gift shop, has a little bit of everything, just as the name suggests. The food court has five stations that offer different selections, and between these there are some great options. The only complaints I have about the food court is that after 10 pm there is only one station open, which always seemed to be the pizza one, and that it is only open until 12am. I know it sounds like 12am should give you plenty of time to grab a bite to eat, but sometimes the parks stay open pretty late and there aren't always "quick service" dining options available at the parks that late.

The gift shop at the resort has some of the essentials, such as shampoo and conditioner, along with some travel size medications if you need them. There are also a fairly good selection of souvenir type items.

All in all, this is a resort I would stay at again, but it's not my first choice Disney resort (that would be the Coronado Springs). The price is right, the food is good, the room was clean, the location is pretty good, the bus service is good, the staff were all very friendly (though we didn't get any towel animals in our room), and it's got fun decor. If you are trying to do Walt Disney World on a budget, I would definitely recommend this resort hands down, and if you were considering staying at an off-site hotel because of the cost, I would highly recommend you try and save up a little more to stay on-site at this resort (the only value resort I've stayed at).

Room Tip: Preferred rooms are closer to the main building and the bus stop, request a preferred room if you...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Let me start by saying that we have stayed at both value and moderate resorts at WDW. The Pop Century is great. This was our second time staying here (first time in 2008). It has exceeded my expectations both times. My kids love the theming here (especially the giant Mickey telephone). We stayed in the 70’s building (ground floor) which is not too far from everything. The walk to the parking area seems to be the furthest. This resort is very expansive. To all of the reviewers that complain about the enormous amount of walking, you may have a difficult time walking around any of the theme parks as well. My only complaint about this resort (and other places in Disney) is the location of the smoking areas. I think they are too close to the main paths that take you through the resort. There is one section right outside of Classic Hall (main lobby) where you really take in second hand smoke. If you are looking for a lot of amenities that upscale hotels have (room service, valet, etc.), do not consider staying here. If you are looking for a simple hotel with good pools and food court, then this is your place. Disney has made two changes since our last visit that I commend them on. Internet is now free at all WDW resorts, and now value resorts have mini-fridges across the board. The rooms are very clean and housekeeping was very attentive to our room. My daughter and I walked across the bridge to the Art of Animation resort as my family had tried to get a reservation there originally, but had no availability. It was very nice. The pool area may have been a little nicer than Pop, but to me the Food Court area was not as large or nice as Pop. It is worth the walk to go over and check it out, though. The buses were great. Our longest wait was no more than 10 minutes for buses to arrive. Pop is furthest from Magic Kingdom, so that is quite a ride, but not bad. About the check-in – we did the online check in and arrived at the resort to pick up keys, etc. so that we could go ahead and get into the parks. I received a text about 2 hours later that the room was ready, which was outstanding. I would highly recommend Pop Century and will definitely stay here again.

Davis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I'd read past reviews on Trip Advisor and felt they were on target. The rooms were small, beds were small and we could hear the shower and toilet noises from other rooms. We were not in the room very much and when we were we fell fast to sleep so this was not an issue for us. On the upside check in was fun and easy, the room was clean, the staff friendly and the extended hours we got by staying at a Disney Resort priceless. We stayed on the 4th floor in the 50's building with a view of the pool. It was close to buses and dining services. We purchased the all you can drink mug as we were there for 4 days and did not bring our own coffee. Good idea to bring your own if you have room! We bought fruit at the hotel for breakfast $1.50 each again would recommend bringing your own snacks as the room comes with a frig. We took the buses everywhere and only had a problem/had to wait more than 20 minutes when going against traffic ie heading back to the hotel from the park at 9:30 am. We dined at 2 restaurants which were a lot of fun. We made reservations in advance-this seemed to be important as we met families that could not get reservations.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I love Disney and have been going for years. It's where he proposed and where we are going in June for our honeymoon. Originally we used to stay at the comfort inn just outside due to costs but the last 2 years we have been we have stayed at the Pop Century. If you are looking for a cheaper way of getting onto Disney property this is the place to go!! I have stayed in both the older rooms and the refurbed rooms and I have to say really impressed. Obviously not a 5* resort but I love this place with its different themed areas and fun atmosphere. The rooms are large enough for a family of 4. The beds are very comfortable and a lot bigger than the ones at home. Loved that the bathroom was separated from the sink area a lot easier to get ready on an evening. We have stayed in the 80/90 section both times. I personally prefer this area it's a little quieter but still not to far to the main area. Many a night we would get back from the parks and go into the pool which was heated bonus for me as I'm always cold. The lifeguards are friendly and this pool never felt cramped.
I am a very picky eater but I found there was plenty of choices here and always found something to eat and I loved the ice cream bay on an after noon. We did not have the Disney dining plan on previous visit but we are getting it on our up coming visit. Found this to be reasonanly priced and you got a lot for the price.
I liked that this resort had its own bus and found they came often only issue was on a night coming back from parks this is always the last bus stop :(
Overall I love this place. I have never had any issues here staff are all very friendly and when I have requested specific rooms I have always gotten them. I would recommend this resort for first time staying on property. Great for kids and adults and you get what you pay for. This time we are going to the port Orleans French quarter to try something different but wouldn't hesitate to come back here it's line home and you still get all the Disney perks :)

• Stayed August 2012
Clover, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed in Pop Century two separate times during the past 3 years. Everything about it meets the Disney Standards. Service is great, pools are nice, & the overall look of the resort is well done. I would only have two complaints and they both have to do with the size of the resort. Its a pretty big resort so there is a lot of walking involved, and the bus stops do get a little more crowded. Both of these are expected during a trip to Disney, but we decided to stay at Port Orleans French Quarter during our recent trip, and you could tell a huge difference. I guess that's the difference between staying value and moderate.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!