“Blast from the Past” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Pop Century Resort

You added Disney's Pop Century Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Pop Century Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1050 Century Drive, Lake Bueno Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #114 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Sarasota, Florida
“Blast from the Past”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Walt Disney World's Pop Century resort is built around memories of the decades Fifties through Nineties. Although the hotel is similar in most respects to the nearby budget-priced All Star resorts, it takes the theme-ing to a grander scale. We enjoyed the lobby walls lined with cases containing mementos from the past decades. Take some time for this fun stuff. And the exterior of the building has the typical giant-sized icons Disney uses at these family-oriented resorts: a 40-foot high Lady and the Tramp, a monstrous yo-yo, a huge jukebox...you get the idea.

As with the All Star resorts, there is no restaurant per se. Instead, there is a large food court with a wide variety of breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack food. As with all of WDW, the quality is very good....fresh greens, fresh baked items, etc. And unlike the All Stars, the Pop Century has a full sitdown pool bar called Petals. The pool itself is large, and water activities for the kiddies are available. And of course, there is a large gift shop stocked with all the typical WDW merchandise.

The resort backs up to a lake on one side with a nice walking/running/ bike path and a footbridge across the water to the newly opened Art of Animation resort.

As with all these sprawling resorts (Pop Century has 2,200 rooms!), it's best to pay a little more for a "preferred room" nearest the pool, lobby and food court/gift shop. And as with all WDW resorts, we found the staff always friendly and helpful.

Pop Century is typically priced slightly higher than the other budget resorts, but look for a deal and you may find a price that is very reasonable, as we did. The location is an easy quick drive to all the parks, or if you are without a car, use WDW's very efficient bus system.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, spend a little extra for a "preferred room." You will be much closer...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,139)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Just got back from Disney and can't wait to go back! I actually really liked this hotel. We didn't stay very much at the resort but I would definitely be back. The staff was great always said hi and was always there to help. We had a bit of a problem when we first got there as the computers were down and they put us in the wrong room(king bed versus a standard double), but they were able to fix it after we got back from the park. We used the pool at night and only complaint was I wish there was a hot tub to soak my tired feet in at night. Other then that it was a bed to sleep in. The rooms are small but I wasn't looking for that as I knew what to expect when I stayed here. For the resort being about 10 years old you would never know it as everything looked cleaned and up to date. The bus service was great never waited more then 20 minutes for a bus (and that was right after one just left). We used the Disney Magical express and that was easy and nice as we didn't have to worry about renting a car and the luggage arrived in our room. Also they had a mini fridge in the rooms which was perfect we were able to get a case of water from a grocery store and saved money on bottled water and kept it cold. I will definitely stay here again versus staying at a moderate or deluxe I just don't want to spend the extra money if all the time is being spent at the parks and not the resort. If I was staying at the resort more then I would look into something nicer.

• Stayed October 2012
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We really enjoyed the Pop Century Resort, but what made our stay exceptional was an incident that occurred on our last day at the resort. I just finished pouring my cappuccino over ice when the lid popped off and iced cappuccino spilled all over my son and his clothes, soaking him. Our luggage was already picked up and we had no clean, dry clothes. My son was crying, as several employees rushed over to help. Even though it was my fault, Michael, the manager, took us to the gift shop and had them find new clothes for my son. They gave us the outfit and put a huge smile back on my son's face because he was sporting a cool Mickey shirt and shorts. Kuddos to Michael the manager and to Disney for treating guests like royalty!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My family just returned yesterday (October 12, 2012) from a 5 day stay at Pop Century. There were 16 of us utilizing 4 rooms. We stayed in the 1990's section on the 4th floor. The rooms were clean. The staff was excellent and attended to all of our needs. If you are on a budget, this is a great basic resort (room wise) BUT excellent with other things like 3 pools (CLEAN), an arcade, shopping area and dining area. Food wasn't bad at all. I do recommend the meal plan. It will save you big time. What else can I say. We all had a great experience at this resort. We stayed at the All Star Resort in 2008, which I also would highly recommend.

Room Tip: The 1990's building is the furthest from everything. But it was fairly quiet and they do have el...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Aguada, null, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stay in the Pop Century from 22 sept to 27 sept 2012 and I enjoy it. The staff very useful. I make the check in online and arrive and the room was ready yet( I arrive in the morning ) . The atmosphere in the area was safe, enjoy and excelent. The last day I need to check out but I gonna go to the park and I can the luggage department and they pick me luggage and I return to the Pop and take the bags then I go to to the other hotel. I like the atention , my wife love it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We arrived just before noon and were pleasantly surprised that our room was ready for checkin. Our luggage arrived a short while later - another pleasant surprise after last year's delays (most likely caused by the airline connection.) Staffing at the front desk was helpful and friendly, with minimal delays.
The room was clean, and pleasantly Disney themed without being overwhelming. We were in the '50s, at the end of the row. We'd paid a little more for a pool view, and technically we could see the pool around the trees from the corridor. Noise from the pool was never an issue. The sound insulation of the door and front wall were quite good. Noise from people running full tilt down the corridors was disturbing, but sadly that could happen in any building. We used two of the three pools while we were there. None are suitable for exercise swimming, but all are fine for relaxing, and are mostly shallow/standing height.
The towels were a little more ragged than the moderate resort we stayed in last year, but perfectly adequate and generous in quantity. You take your towels with you to the pool, unlike at the moderates where towels are provided at the pool. Value resorts provide shampoo and soap; the moderates add conditioner, lotion and fancier shaped soap.
I was pleased by the addition of Wi-fi and the in-room fridge.
Leaving the parks at night, it sometimes seemed that our bus stop was always the very furthest away - but we never had to wait through more than one bus cycle. Disney was always very aware of the volume of people.
At seven AM when the grills are just opening up, the food court is not busy. Later in the day, it is busy and noisy. We preferred collecting our breakfast and taking it back to our room. Portions were generous and we ended up splitting the breakfast most mornings.
I had a better stay at this resort than the moderate where we previously stayed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

So….I got a last minute call from my work to head to Orlando for a quick overnight business trip. I had marching orders to keep the expenses minimal. I am a HUGE Disney fanboy and was able to grab a last minute room deal on Expedia for the Pop Century for $85 so I was stoked. Even if it was for only a few hours, staying at a Disney resort and be able to soak in a few minutes of Disney magic made the last minute trip all worth it.

To put in perspective, I travel around 60 days a year on business and pleasure and my wife and I average 2-3 trips to WDW a year. Yes I am a hotel snob and until this trip, I always dismissed the “value” resort category, mostly out of ego. I am fortunate to be able to stay in some pretty nice joints throughout my travels.

Call it ego, call it being a “hotel snob,” ...call it whatever. But I have always stayed in “moderate” or “deluxe” WDW resort properties over the years. I never considered the "value" category.

However, after this stay my opinion may have swayed a bit. You can do the Google research and learn all of the details about the Pop Century, but after staying there it begs the question why I have wasted thousands of dollars over the years on moderate resorts.

The joint was fresh, clean and well themed. Interestingly, the room was pretty much the same exact footprint as a “moderate” room with perhaps one less picture on the wall. If you blindfolded me and stuck me in the room, I would not have known the difference.

Was it perfect? Of course not. Yes, there were some scuff marks here and there. I agree with prior comments that the walls are paper thin and the in room amenities are slightly downgraded. But overall, I really have no complaints with the Pop Century, especially if you set your expectations correctly. It was clean, fresh and offered a nice stay.

Bottom line, for half the cost of the moderates, the Pop Century is a hidden gem to the moderate resorts. I will put the “Deluxe” resorts in a different category and if you have the coin to justify a $300+/night room rate…..go for it. I just have so much internal struggle dropping midtown NYC room rates for WDW when the rooms really aren’t that great when you think about it.

For less than $100 a night, the Pop Century might be one of the best kept secrets on WDW property, especially if you are trying to save a buck. Will I return? Only my ego knows the answer....

Room Tip: Stay away from the "common" areas. Try to get a room on the "backside" of the c...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!