“Great view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

and 1 more site!
You added Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge to your Saves list
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2901 Osceola Parkway, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #28 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Clifton Park, New York
“Great view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in January 2013. We had the Savannah view on the 5th floor and the view was amazing, bright sun in the morning, room was spacious for a delux studio compared to other studios on disney property. The room was clean and the staff was amazing as usual.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,129)
  • Polish first
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

First off I want to thank Kathy @ Beach Bum Vacations (1-877-943-8282 ext 15). She got us a better price than anywhere I could find online even when I tried to book directly through Disney. The hotel was very nice architecturally and very clean, I just wish they could have had more kid oriented activities for kiddos to participate in. The rooms themselves were not much out of the ordinary coolest part was that you could look out and see animals off your balcony. I did have a problem with customer relations, housekeeping cleaned our room and when they stripped the beds they gathered up my daughters baby blanket she has had since birth, which is not what I had a problem with since this could easily happen, but when I reported the blanket missing the very same day the concierge didn't seem all the helpful in locating the blanket and said "if they find it they would mail it back to me." In the end the Boma restaurant and the snack place by the pool were both pretty good obviously overpriced but hey it is a disney hotel and resort. So just summing up it could have been great if they would have just made a few changes and added some more "Disney like" activities for the kids.

Room Tip: If I went back I would prefer a view of the "prairie" in back of hotel opposite of the poo...
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge for four nights starting Jan. 26, 2013. This is our third time staying at AKL and our favorite WDW property among those we've stayed at. There is nothing better than hearing the cast members tell you "welcome home" as you enter this beautiful property.

We have always had a savannah view. It is amazing to step out on the balcony and watch giraffe, zebra, etc. I think this is what makes AKL so special.

The room has a lovely African theme, It's updated, clean, comes with a mini-fridge. Our room was on the third floor and a short walk from the entrance. That is nice, as the Disney properties can be quite large and it can be a long walk to your room.

My family loves the restaurants at AKL. Boma is an amazing buffet with a mix of African and American dishes. Something for everyone. Across that way at Kidani Village is Sanaa. Love that they have Safari Amber on tap - the only other place it is available is in Animal Kingdom park. it's a beer that is exclusively available at WDW, and we love it! They also have a delicious bread service with naan and various dips like hummus, cucumber sauce, etc.

We had an easy time catching buses to/from the parks.

My only complaint is the Disney inflation. Wow - have prices skyrocketed. The prices have increased significantly more than the price of everything else in the world. Pretty incredible that Disney can do this and be successful given the state of the global economy. We may get priced out eventually.

Room Tip: We've always been upgraded to a savannah-view room at no cost.
Saint Michael, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were so excited to arrive after a very long day of travel. Michael checked us in, it was his first day and he was "earning his ears"-he did a fantastic job, was pleasant, answered all of my questions, and had us checked in in no time at all-thanks for a wonderful start to our vacation Michael! We were so happy to see that we had a savannah view room in a standard rate-I don't believe this was an upgrade, but some of the standard view rooms happen to have a view of the savannah. We were on second floor which seemed perfect. There are many opportunities to see the animals throughout the resort as well and they do a lovely job of encouraging the animals to roam throughout the grounds. I think we saw every kind of animal at one point or another. We enjoyed the extra activities as well such as cookie making, pool party, learning the bongos with staff, medallion rubbing. All were fun experiences.

I had been reading some negative reviews online prior to going, and these are my feelings on these items as I took time to note them while there and asked my husband his opinions as well:
-low lighting-I did not feel the room lighting was any lower than other hotel rooms. In fact, we didn't use all of the lights in the room. In the halls, lights are not florescent lighting, it is a nice lamp sort of lighting. This is part of the theme of the hotel, and we found it nice after a busy day.
-small rooms-we felt these rooms were what you would normally have in regard to the size of any room in a hotel. It is not a suite-it is a standard room-and was very adequate for a standard room. What makes it deluxe was the upgraded fixtures, theming, and overall appearance of the room as well as having a balcony. We found it to be a nice upgrade from a moderate resort which we have stayed at in the past.
-water pressure-we found the water pressure to be great. The shower head adjusts-so if you want the feel of less pressure-use one setting, if you want it to feel stronger pressure, put it on another setting. We found it met our needs very well. Additionally, the clothes line that you can pull out in the shower was a nice touch for drying wet suits.
-wait for busses-this was no longer or no shorter of a wait than the moderate that we had stayed at. We never waited longer than 15 minutes for a bus. The longest ride, of course, is to Magic Kingdom-as you would expect when looking at the map. If you must stay close to the MK, then this is not the resort for you. If you want to eat and sleep with amazing animals then this is a wonderful resort for you.
-Hospitality-I have found that your experience is often what you make of it-we treated the CM's kindly and with happiness. We received kind and happy service in response. Everyone we encountered was happy, interactive with our kiddos, and were family friendly.
-Food-We ate at the Mara most of the time. It is quick service-expect quick service level of food. Exception-the chicken flat bread was excellent and I could have eaten it everyday. We thought the food was good.
-Cleanliness of the rooms-we had no complaints. The room was spotless when we arrived, we had a towel Mickey Mouse on the day of arrival, and our room was cleaned daily with extra shampoos, etc added to our room each day. We appreciated the wonderful service.
-Walk-again, this is all in perspective. The walk was far less than what we had when we stayed at a moderate-and it was an air conditioned walk as opposed to walking outside, so we were more than happy.
-Pool-was heated, and was just the right temperature to us for cooling off in. It would have been too cool to swim in on a cold day, but was just right in the 80 degree temps.

My husband had gotten ill during the trip and needed to go to the Dr.-we were surprised that there was even a free shuttle to a clinic by Downtown Disney for him to go to quickly and then get back to the fun the best that he could. Disney really has thought of everything. Additionally, when it was time to leave, Disney had printed out our boarding passes and or magical express passes, and delivered them to our room which was lovely. From beginning to end it was absolutely seemless and disney took care of everything, we felt very well cared for. Well done, Disney!!

Room Tip: When checking in, if you have a standard room, ask politely to have a savannah room if possible-you...
Sherwood Park, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed here because its close to Animal Kingdom. Its our first time to Disneyworld. We realized after that we could have stayed off-Disney for MUCH cheaper, rented a car and come into Disney every day just for the themeparks.
It was still interesting, however, to stay at this hotel simply because if you get a room with a view, then you basically have an African Safari park right outside your hotel window! Its relaxing to sit on your balcony and see which animals you can spot.
The hotel is quite nice, especially compared to other Disney hotels which are just your average old hotels. This one stands out because it seems like you are in a hotel in Africa.
We were also lucky that we could get into the buffet there to eat a few meals and so did not have to make meal reservations months in advance like at other Disney hotels. NOTE that we were here during a non-busy time of year, so if you come during a busy time then i think you need reservations for the buffet well in advance too.
Quick bus trip to Animal Kingdom for the day. You cannot find a more convenient hotel for that.

Madison, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Let me explain my perspective of the stay. I will have to preface this review by saying that I am truly a positive person, and it really pains me to write something negative. However, I hope that this will steer other families away from a possible unsatisfying experience.

This stay at the Animal Kingdom lodge was at the end of our vacation. We started the trip with a two night stay at the Grand Floridian. Then we went on a Disney 4-night cruise. Followed by one night at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for one night prior to flying back home.

My wife and I have 2 children (toddler/infant stages) and chose this hotel so that we could see the animals from our room, and also get club level service. We took a limo from the cruise to the hotel. As our cruise arrived in the morning, we arrived a few hours earlier than check-in. We planned to drop off our luggage and go to the Animal Kingdom park. We had a 2 bedroom club level suite reserved.

When we arrived to the hotel around 10am, none of the valet were able to help us with our luggage. Being a club level guest and paying $1500-2000 for the night, it was a little surprising that I had to handle my own luggage and then wait in line at the registration desk. They only had one person at the desk and we waited approximately 25 minutes prior to speaking with the staff regarding our reservation and luggage storage. We were then told that we should have been taken to the club level, and then we had to wait a bit more for someone to escort us to the club level desk for check-in.

When we finally were escorted to the club level desk, there was another wait. The club level attendant was assisting another family and we waited approximately 10 more minutes. My mother was not feeling too well, so I inquired to the possibility of early check-in. At approximately 11am, I was told that early check-in would not be a problem as the cleaning staff were cleaning the room as we spoke. It would take 1-1.5 hour maximum prior to our room being available. I offered to pay for another room that was vacant, but was told that was not necessary. My mother said that she would just stay at the club lounge area and wait the short time for the room while we went to the Animal Kingdom.

While I was with the rest of my family at Animal Kingdom, I get a call from my mother at 1pm stating the the room was still not ready. Of course, I understand the check-in is 3pm, but we were specifically told that our room would be ready earlier. My mother made the decision to not go to the Animal Kingdom based on the information. She was planning to rest - which of course not comfortable in a public area (club lounge area). I called and was told that it would be ready within the hour. At 2pm, the room was not ready. Recap: my mother is not feeling well and is being forced to stay in the lounge area. I call again and was told that the room would be ready within 30 minutes. At 3pm (the normal check-in time), room still not ready. At 4pm, room still not ready - empty promises from multiple managers. Room finally ready at around 430pm (a full 4 hours after it was promised). I, of course, was not able to enjoy any of my time at the Animal Kingdom, because I was on the phone for half of it trying to find out why I was being fed incorrect information and the other half with my mother who was distraught. For our inconvenience, we were given 25% room rate credit to our hotel account. We were finally told that the room could not be 'ready' until a housekeeping manager have reviewed it since it was a club level suite.

Common sense: When someone pays over $1000/night for a room, they are probably not worried about a few hundred dollars. They just want good honest service. When we got to the room, I expected it to be spectacularly clean due to the amount of time it had taken to turn over the room. Not the case. Table was dirty, baby pacifier and other debris under the furniture. Definitely not indicative of a quality resort. The room was a bit dated. Bed uncomfortable and hard. Took the a while to deliver the luggage. However, the views were definitely unique with the wildlife.

Trying to stay positive, we still tried to make the most of the visit. My parents did not stay because they were so upset with the hotel - and left to stay with my sister in Tampa. My wife, kids, and I went to Jiko for dinner. We did not want anything for the gift shop, so we thought we would spend the 25% room credit on dinner and some wine. Unfortunately, our youngest was not being cooperative. My wife did not bring her room card down, so she took mine to take our little one back to the room - as to not disturb the other guests. The rest of us finished dinner, and then came the bill. Everything looked fine, so I asked them to bill my room. My waiter (who was fabulous) then called the manager. I did not have my room key, and thus they could not bill my room. That seemed a bit odd, but I didn't argue. I told them that I would go put my other daughter to bed and return with my card later in the evening. The manager instructed me to ask for her when I returned, and she would help me take care of the bill.

When I came back down, the manager appeared free. I asked the greeter to please notify the manager that I had returned with my room card and was ready to take care of my bill. For the next 20-25 minutes, the manager walked around aimlessly, straightened some menus, and talked to a few of the other guests prior to allowing me to take care of my bill. It was clear that she was making me wait as a sort of some passive aggressive punishment. Maybe my fault for not being familiar with Disney's policies - but I have never been to a hotel restaurant where you couldn't bill the room with you room number and ID. I would have just paid with my credit card, but we had the room credit for our previous inconvenience. Nevertheless, I would have gladly not even received the room credit - to avoid having being treated this way by the manager.

Other than the view, the only positive of the stay was the hotel's in house airport check-in. It was quite convenient to check our luggage at the hotel - and not have to lug all the bags to the airport. It was unfortunate to end our great trip (Grand Floridian and Disney cruise were excellent) on a sour note. I did not feel the views made up for the shortcomings of this resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Beautiful welcoming hotel. Grounds are well kept as were the small rooms. We arrived at hotel early and our room was not ready. We were fine exploring the grounds but check in was at 3:00 and it was after that when we were finally given our room. We were fine with the bus transportation to and from Disney World. Never waited very long and it was nice to get back to the hotel away from all of the noise of the parks. The animals were beautiful and is was a great experience. Dinner at Boma was very good and very expensive. I don't think there is any justification to charge for a 3 year old child for a buffet meal. We paid over $25.00 and I think my grand daughter ate a couple of tablespoons of rice and fruit. The age for children should be raised to at least 5. This kept us from eating at this restaurant again. Everyone was very friendly and very nice. I would stay here again and recommend it .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge? Share your experiences!