“Wonderful Family Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

You added Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge to your Saves list
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2901 Osceola Parkway, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #27 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Georgia, United States
“Wonderful Family Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We just returned from our week long Disney vacation. We booked a Standard Room and upon check-in were given a room closer to transportation/dining as requested. My father and step-mother were also traveling with us and were given a room on the other end of the resort. After the staff asked if we would be willing to change rooms to be closer to my parents (at my parents request) we finally made our way up to the room. We were pleased to find that we had been upgraded to a Savanna view. I'm sure this had a lot to do with the fact that it was off season and was my father's first trip to Disney. We were in the 2300 room area and were quite a walk from dining and transportation, which was tough being pregnant with three children, but it is no fault of the resort as they gave us a closer room originally.

The staff ranged from nice to exceptional. I have high expectations of Disney so I could be asking a little much, but some of the front desk staff were just average (for Disney). Surprisingly, the front desk staff working late nights (around 12 to 1am when we returned from EMHs) were the kindest and most cheerful. Housekeeping and Bell Service were awesome and there were always plenty of people at the front desk to help so we rarely had to wait.

The pool and playground were nice. We all loved the zero entry portion of the pool, including my 1 year old. We ate at Boma, which was nice but didn't really offer much that my kids were interested in eating. The counter service area was crowded, even in the off season, but had a good selection.

Overall, my experience was wonderful. My only few complaints were the distance to transportation, the commute from the resort to some of the parks, and the lack of outdoor space. I already covered the walking to transportation, and that is the price I paid for changing rooms/getting an upgrade, so no big deal there. The buses were a little crowded (you share with AK Kidani Village for DVC guests and they are the first picked up and dropped off) even in the off season so I ended up standing on many of the commutes. The distance to the parks (aside from AK, obviously) is a bit of a commute, so plan accordingly. We did attempt to drive to MK and DD and, even with my complaints about the buses, they are still the way to go. Finally, one of the drawbacks of staying at the resort, for me, was the closed in feeling or feeling that there wasn't much outdoor space. This may be a small price to pay for some to see the animals roaming free, but for me was a drawback.

In conclusion, we really enjoyed our stay and I would definitely recommend this resort. My few nit-picky issues are really just a matter of personal preference and I see no reason why someone couldn't have a perfect 5 star stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,161)
  • Polish first
lincolnshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I have stayed in a few disney hotels over the years however animal kingdom is without a doubt my favourite. The theme, service, rooms, food were all great and unlike some reviews found the bus service very good. The fact that it is not a shared service with any other hotel os a big plus and i never found the waits or the journey to the parks long- however we do tend to go out of season. We booked a standard room however as it was my sons birthday they upgraded us to a savanna room for free. These rooms with the view are amazing and makes the experience even better. We ate at mara which was what you would expect and boma which was good if not expensive if not on dining plan which we were. The pool is large and a must. Overall an amazing stay at the animal kingdom lodge. Dont let the distance from the other parks put you off. I have stayed at the polynesian and though having the monrail run through your hotel is good i would choose this hotel anyday.

• Stayed October 2011
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

If you love animals, like animals, tolerate animals, or simply enjoy their company, this hotel is a great choice. One word of caution though; the wireless internet, free during out stay, was unworkable in our room. This is almost unforgiveable in this day and age, and even giving Disney staff the opportunity to address it, failed to result in a connection that could be used. That aside, the hotel is everything one would expect from a deluxe Disney hotel. Impressive architecture, interesting layout, and routine viewing of various animals (including giraffes) right outside your balcony. There are no elephants if you're partial to those. The restaurants are excellent, and you can self park for free in addition to parking for free at all Disney theme parks. You also have easy access to their bus transporation system if you don't wish to rent a car. The staff is attentive and accomodating. Thanks to Air Canada's inability to put an aircraft at a Toronto gate that is actually equpped to navigate through United States airspace, we didn't arrive until 3am (That's right; Air Canada boarded all passengers, then the pilot announced that the Flight Management System had to be 'updated' so they could enter their waypoints. The 45 minute advertised wait became well over an hour, and when the FMS was changed they had to update the software, which meant the then advertised 15 wait was over half an hour. They were good about keeping passengers informed, but what kind of airline fails to have aircraft ready to fly when they board the passengers?). None the less, as fate would have it, arriving in our room at that early hour should have meant sleeping in, but the hammerdrilling directly above our room woke us at 9am. A trip to the front desk saw us into another room. I don't think Disney can be held at fault for this; 9am is probably a reasonable time to start rattling the ceiling and walls; our arrival time was unreasonable. Internet connection is reliable with strong signal strenght in the lobby; not ideal but a workable plan B. If you like to use the stairs, as I do, you actually can access the restaurants in the lower floor from the second floor (the lobby is on the third floor); there is a narrow access to the lounge on the second floor whereby you can access the third floor or lower floor as you wish. If you have visions of animals next to your balcony, within reach, an electrical fence of sorts is in place about 30' out or so to prevent this (it's low to the ground and unobtrusive). If you want to get up close and personal with the animals, consider booking yourself the Wanyama Safari. This will get you and 11 others in the back of a truck to tour the property and savanna's, and meet the animals. A lot of them will be very close for excellent viewing. This safari includes food at the start, and a fabulous supper at the end and is well worth the expense. Enjoy.

Room Tip: I don't know if the poor internet connectivity was unique to my area, or room or not, but I was...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New Providence, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Just returned from a wonderful first trip to Disney. AKL was amazing. We had a standard room with bunk beds and a Savannah view. If you can, I would spend the extra money for the view. My boys (age 4 and 7) loved watching the animals in the morning and then again at night. The hotel was beautifully decorated and there were several places where you could observe different animals. I enjoyed sitting in the rocking chairs and watching the zebras. The staff was great and very knowledgeable about the surrounding environment. There were so many fun activities for the kids. They loved the pool and exploring the different areas of the lobby. I would recommend eating at Jiko. We all enjoyed the food and the atmosphere was wonderful. For our "quick meal" each morning we ate at the Mara. I found the breakfast to be just okay. As I would much rather lighter food (bagel, fruit, etc.) but was forced to eat the eggs, waffle, etc because the lighter fare was not included with the meal plan option. My kids loved the standard Disney waffles and had a blast drinking milk with Mickey Mouse's picture on it. I would say my only complaint was at Mara and basically was that the coffee was horrible. I guess I could have tried the coffee maker in my room, but we were always in such a rush I never used it. Some of the other reviewers mentioned there was a long walk to get to the buses for transportation to the different parks. I didn't find the walk that long, but maybe our room was closer than their room. We did a lot of walking so the extra walk to the buses did not seem like a big deal. The bus service was very good. Not sure if we were just lucky or not but we never waited long for a bus. Check in was easy, we arrived at 10:00 am and were able to check into our room right away. We were able to extend our check out time an extra hour and checking our bags and getting our boarding pass at the hotel made the trip to the airport less stressful. I would highly recommend this hotel. We had a wonderful time. Even though there are many other "deluxe hotels" I am almost certain we will stay here again during our next Disney vacation.

Room Tip: Savannah view rooms were great!!! We saw so many animals!!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Savana veiw room was fab.Pool loverly,has two hot spa,s & a Flamingo feeding pond.
you can go watch the Animals on the savana just behind the pool bar.there were cast members from Africa to answer all your questions about the wildlife.superb!!!!.

Room Tip: savana room was worth the veiw,s,but you can see the animals from lots of different places
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Living in Florida we've visited Disney many times. I prefer to stay on the property for the convenience & because Disney always has the best! We took this trip to see the Animal Kingdom Park & stay at this resort. The resort is so perfectly themed you feel like you are in Africa, especially seeing the animals all around. The pool & hot tubs were set in a tropical atmosphere, also. I loved hanging out at the resort, next trip I may just skip the parks & stay at the resort!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This review is of the Jambo House at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

This is a magnificently themed deluxe resort at Disney World. From the moment you step into the lobby you are transported to another world. Every where you look there is something wonderful to take in.

Some people will say a savanna view room is not worth the price, but I disagree. We had an Arusha view room and there was nothing like coming home in the evening, stepping out on the balcony and seeing four giraffes kneeling on the savanna in the "moonlight". At one time there were seven different animals outside our balcony - giraffe, zebra, ostrich, thompson gazelle, ankole cattle, okapi and roan antelope. There were other animals throughout our stay as well. It's really great to be on your balcony and take in the view.

We had a non-connecting room next to an overlook so we only shared one wall with other guests. Only once did we hear "neighbor noise" when their wake-up call sounded. I don't know if we were really lucky or not because Disney hotels are not known for their soundproofing. If you can get a non-connecting room it will help keep the amount of noise down.

The staff is very friendly, informative and efficient. Housekeeping was very prompt and professional.

I will say that the rooms are smaller than what you would expect at a deluxe resort, but they are very well decorated and appointed. The air-conditioning is the quietest I've had at any Disney resort.

I found the counter-service restaurant, The Mara, to be one of the better Disney quick-service restaurants. They have an ample selection and are open until 11:30pm.

Bus service, with one exception, was much better than I anticipated based on other reviews. On average we waited 10 minutes or less for a bus to or from a park. Only one time did we give up after a half-hour wait and took a cab to dinner.

I highly recommend the restaurant Jiko. It is a great, adult dining experience. If you can get a table in the wine room like we did it even adds to the ambiance.

The pool is a pleasure. Very well laid out. Maybe we had a low crowd attendance, but I never felt like I was packed in the pool like I've felt at the Polynesian resort. I always had plenty of room to swim and lounge in the water. They have many out-of-the-way lounge chairs in shade for relaxing and reading as well. Plus a couple of jacuzzis and a children's wading pool.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge? Share your experiences!