Well, if you search through the list, i've reviewed the Animal Kingdom Lodge before - I think around 3 years ago. It certainly has improved. It was good before but now it's great.
My husband booked a standard view room for the Thanksgiving wknd so we drove up to Orlando from Fort Lauderdale on Friday afternoon right after our lunch with our 2yo son.
At checkin, I was not in the best mood as due to carsickness, our son had thrown up in the back seat 5 minutes before arrival. We did have a bit of a wait but considering it was the day after Thanksgiving, it wasn't bad at all. The checkin agent took our info, looked at the screen, and said "I'll be right back."
After a few seconds, he came back and told us that he had gotten approval to upgrade us to a Savannah view room. That made me feel better. :) The last time we were there we got a great view of the parking lot!!!
So, off we went to the room and sure enough, open the windows and there were giraffes, water birds, and african deer. It was great. My son liked it for a while but my husband was even more excited.
i was pleased to see that the bathroom amenities were much higher quality than at our last visit. Spa quality toiletries in good variety and amounts.
We soon headed off to the buffet restaurant, which is still the best restaurant I've been to at Disney. The variety and quality is excellent. Our son chose two bowls of mac and cheese but hey, he's allowed. We revelled in chicken and beef, all kinds of side dishes, and of course, lovely bite-sized desserts of fruit tarts and chocolates. Great job with the Boma restaurant!!!
We did have one maintenance issue but it was quicky resolved. On Saturday, the A/C display was flickering when we got back from Magic Kingdom but a serviceman was there within 20 minutes and it turned out an entire section of the hotel had the problem. It was fixed and due to the cool weather, we had no issues with that.
My only complaint is that for a resort, they could have better beds and sheets. I write this review on my last day at a business conference hosted in a Westin resort and the Heavenly Bed is exactly that. Disney should upgrade the bedding and beds at their Deluxe resorts and keep pace with the Westins and Marriotts in the hotel circuit.
Otherwise it was a great stay. We spent our last morning onsite at the pool and our son enjoyed it immensely. He was too young for the slide but had fun trying to swim. I felt very safe with three lifeguards on watch and didn't even see the kiddie wading pool until we were leaving. We had lunch in the Mara and then headed home (in horrible traffic). This time i am eager to return to the Animal Kingdom resort on our next visit to Disney.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Step into the heart of Africa at this magnificent Resort hotel. Inspired by the traditional African kraal, the horseshoe-curved design provides spectacular views of 4 lush savannas that over 200 hoofed animals and birds call home. Delight in dazzling pool areas, exciting animal programs and one of the largest collections of African art in the United States as you experience your own African safari adventure with a touch of Disney magic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Amex, Priceline, Expedia, getaroom.com, Hotels.com and Hotwire so you can book your Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Animal Kingdom Florida
- Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Disney Animal Kingdom Resort
- Disney Animal Kingdom Hotel
- Animal Kingdom Lodge Disney
- Animal Kingdom Lodge Orlando
- Animal Kingdom Hotel Disney
- Disneys Animal Kingdom Hotel
- Animal Kingdom Hotel Florida