“Much Improved - esp with a Savannah view upgrade!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

You added Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge to your Saves list
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2901 Osceola Parkway, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #27 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pembroke Pines, Florida
“Much Improved - esp with a Savannah view upgrade!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

Well, if you search through the list, i've reviewed the Animal Kingdom Lodge before - I think around 3 years ago. It certainly has improved. It was good before but now it's great.
My husband booked a standard view room for the Thanksgiving wknd so we drove up to Orlando from Fort Lauderdale on Friday afternoon right after our lunch with our 2yo son.
At checkin, I was not in the best mood as due to carsickness, our son had thrown up in the back seat 5 minutes before arrival. We did have a bit of a wait but considering it was the day after Thanksgiving, it wasn't bad at all. The checkin agent took our info, looked at the screen, and said "I'll be right back."
After a few seconds, he came back and told us that he had gotten approval to upgrade us to a Savannah view room. That made me feel better. :) The last time we were there we got a great view of the parking lot!!!

So, off we went to the room and sure enough, open the windows and there were giraffes, water birds, and african deer. It was great. My son liked it for a while but my husband was even more excited.
i was pleased to see that the bathroom amenities were much higher quality than at our last visit. Spa quality toiletries in good variety and amounts.
We soon headed off to the buffet restaurant, which is still the best restaurant I've been to at Disney. The variety and quality is excellent. Our son chose two bowls of mac and cheese but hey, he's allowed. We revelled in chicken and beef, all kinds of side dishes, and of course, lovely bite-sized desserts of fruit tarts and chocolates. Great job with the Boma restaurant!!!
We did have one maintenance issue but it was quicky resolved. On Saturday, the A/C display was flickering when we got back from Magic Kingdom but a serviceman was there within 20 minutes and it turned out an entire section of the hotel had the problem. It was fixed and due to the cool weather, we had no issues with that.
My only complaint is that for a resort, they could have better beds and sheets. I write this review on my last day at a business conference hosted in a Westin resort and the Heavenly Bed is exactly that. Disney should upgrade the bedding and beds at their Deluxe resorts and keep pace with the Westins and Marriotts in the hotel circuit.
Otherwise it was a great stay. We spent our last morning onsite at the pool and our son enjoyed it immensely. He was too young for the slide but had fun trying to swim. I felt very safe with three lifeguards on watch and didn't even see the kiddie wading pool until we were leaving. We had lunch in the Mara and then headed home (in horrible traffic). This time i am eager to return to the Animal Kingdom resort on our next visit to Disney.

• Liked — The Savannah view and the Boma restaurant
  • Disliked — The bed that moved with you and the old blankets
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,161)
  • Polish first
ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge Thanksgiving week 2007. Traveling were me, my husband and 2 sons 13 and 8. Our overall experience was fantastic. When we checked in the cast member helping us seemed a bit overwhelmed and kept complaining that he doesn't usually work this late. It got a little annoying but we didn't take it perosonally and certainly didn't let it set the tone for our vacation. Our reservation was a little complicated as we added a night at the begining of our stay and the resulted in two seperate reservations. We chose a pool view, bunk bed room. Although the room wasn't huge it was certainly sufficient. The room was clean and had everything we needed. I personally was glad we didn't spend the money on the Savanah view. We were located convenietly to all amenities the hotel offered. A short walk to everything. Even great Savanah views. It seemed to me that the Savanah view rooms were a distance from the Restaurants, pools, and bus stops.

Since we hadn't arrived until midnight we opted to call in the morning to have our luggage delivered. It was promised that it would be there in 5 minutes of our call. Well, our luggage never came and after several phone calls it was revieled to us that our luggage was no where to be found. We were then instructed to go to the Hotel shop and pick out, free of charge, anything we thought we needed to make our day comfortable and to be able to go ahead with all our plans. Well we got more stuff than we could possibly have needed. Including face soap, make up remover, flip flops, bathing suits, shirts (long, short sleeved and tanks), deoderant, toothpaste and brushs, sweat shirts, hats and more. Disney went out of their way for us. Plus our luggage was found by the time we arrived back from the park that night.

The restaurants were great we ate in all three. The Mara is the counter service place, not too much variety typical counter food, but good. Boma is the buffet pricey and a bit exotic in the food choices. Jinko the full service, excellent food but expensive. Worth it for one night.

I recommend the dining plan. More food and snacks than you can eat. We wound up sharing some meals so that we could go to the more expensive restaurant one night. Plenty of food. Also we shared some lunches and got counter service breakfast and also used some of our snacks for breakfast items like muffins and yougurt.

Overall we loved this hotel. Great service, clean rooms and pool. Excellent vacation.

• Liked — Loved this hotel
  • Disliked — Sheets on beds and smoking area locations
  • Stayed November 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

We two grandmothers were invited to spend our time with our two grandchildren that visit Disneyworld, Fla., quite frequently.
This time they shared their experience with us, one from NY and the other flew in from Virginia. What an experience! Over the top. We stayed in a suite, ours a two-bedroom connected to their king-sized bed (room) with all the services added including sixth floor extras.
Service and employees were so pleasant, ready to advise, direct us to all the extras available, pool, spas, food and wonderful bus services to all the Disney sites..Even to and from the airport, no auto needed, if desired....a grandma's dream*****

Stayed November 2007
Bristol, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2007

I was prepared to be lukewarm about this hotel and I was really surprised by how much I liked it. I travel a lot (for business and for leisure) and I have stayed in many hotels but this was truly a unique experience.
To begin with, check-in was quick, and our room was ready early. (Even in cases when rooms were not ready early I noticed that the staff did a good job of accomodating people and making sure they were taken care of until their rooms were ready.) Even though we had a heavily discounted rate to begin with, we still received an upgrade ato a Savannah view at the front desk for no additional cost -- simply by asking. We saw a large variety of animals from our balcony on a daily basis. The decor of the hotel is simply stunning in its design and detail; you notice new things the whole time you stay there. Truly one of the most asthetically pleasing hotels I've ever stayed in.
Everyone was extremely friendly, constantly saying hi in the hallways or offering information on the different animals and culture around the resort. People hustled to help you out with anything you might need and everyone always had a smile.
We do not have children but there seemed to be plenty of fun activities for them to take part in around the resort (making bracelets, storytelling, drumming, etc).
The pool area was also filled with kids, but I liked that there were plenty of chairs available and some were located slightly farther away from the pool, so you could still get some sun if you didn't want to be right next to the hustle and bustle of the pool. Never had a problem getting a seat at any time.
We spent most of our time at the parks during the day, and used the buses to get almost everywhere. I found it very convenient; our longest wait was probably 10-15 minutes for a bus, and we rarely had to stop at other resorts on the way to the park (as I gather other resort's buses do).
As for the food, we ate at the Mara for breakfast often (which was absolutely teeming with children and very chaotic; the food was generally serviceable buffet-style stuff). We ate at Boma once, which was also buffet-style. We walked right up without a reservation and got a table. (in fact, we did not make a reservation for any restaurant the entire week we stayed at WDW, and were only turned away once.) The room service menu was somewhat limited compared to other hotels but the food they did have was very good.
A lot of the ease we had with getting into restuarants, quick bus service, finding room at the pool, etc may have been due to going in November. I cannot imagine what this place must be like in the summer months... but fall is definitely a great time to go (80 degrees, not a cloud in the sky the whole trip).
My only real issue? While the quality of the room was fine (think of every standard hotel you've stayed in, then imagine it with heavy African theming), it seemed slightly overpriced considering the overall expense of a Disney vacation. While service, etc was good, the full price of this resort seemed a bit much. With the discount we got, I didn't personally have a problem with the rate... but while seeing animals up-close from the balcony daily was very cool, the price would definitely be an issue (especially if I had children)! So if you can afford it I definitely recommend it... but hopefully you can find a discount somewhere.

• Liked — Decor/theming, animal experience, great service, plus convenience to parks
  • Disliked — Seemed slightly expensive considering average quality of rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

The Animal Kingdom Lodge is great! Don't let other reviews tell you otherwise. If you go, it is worth the upgrade to a Savannah View room. Every morning we were greeted with giraffe, antelope and so many other animals! Yes, it is a bit pricey, but how often can you sit on your balconey and just take in the beauty of the animals? Yes, the lodge is a bit dark, but that's the point. You feel as though you are in an Africen lodge. Think about other hotels in Disney, e.g. the Polynesian, Yacht & Beach - they are made to feel as if you really are in Hawaii or a New England seaside town. Although the lodge is furthest from the other parks, the bus system runs about every 10 minutes or so and takes you directly to the park. If you have the time, I would recomment seeing Cirque De Solei in Downtown Disney. It is one of the best shows I've seen and everyone enjoyed it.

I hope this has been helpful!

• Liked — The view of the animals from room
  • Disliked — No mini bar!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

We stayed at the Animal Kingdom lodge with our 16 month old. This hotel was wonderful. The room was big enough for the 3 of us and upon arrival we were upgraded to a Savannah view room. My son loved seeing all the animals right outside the window. The lobby was absolutely amazing. It couldn't have been done better.
Transportation was excellant i never waited long for a bus and this resort has ITS OWN buses. It does not share them with any other resorts so it's a straight shot to the parks and back.
The kiddie pool was great and never busy and the main pool had the wonderful zero gravity entrance like a beach which is good for smaller children so they can play without being in over their heads. We ate at the food court alot which i found to be a tad small but the prices and food were good. I'm not a HUGE fan of the themed resturaunts in this hotel though i am a picky eater so i'm not too suprised.

This hotel was a wonderful experience and we will stay again.

• Liked — Transportation, pools, service, atmosphere
  • Disliked — resturaunts
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

We enjoyed our 4 night stay at Animal Kingdom. It was a lovely resort. Upon booking there were no rooms with bunkbeds available, but got one on check-in. We were also upgraded to a Savannah room free. It is a big hotel, but seems that the majority of rooms are Savannah view except those looking over the pool. We could also see some construction to the left of our view, but no noise was heard. I never heard any noise from any other rooms and found it to be a very quiet day and night. Mara quick service was similar to other quick service restaurants in the park. I especially liked the Chicken pita. Boma was also good. My only complaint about the food was true to everywhere i ate. It was good food, but noisy and busy. But I didn't expect to find peace and quiet in a location such as disney. The pool was nice, but the weather was a bit chilly and we were so busy in the parks, we only swam once. The rooms were small. We only did 4 nights so didn't really affect us. The bathrooms were especially small. We were treated very well at AKL, but that held true throught our whole disney experience. We did stop and buy a few breakfest items and did a quick cereal, yogurt in the morning. It saved time and money. I can't compare this resort to any others as it was my first time to disney. It was about 20 minutes on the bus to MK but buses were regular and we never really waited. I would recommend this hotel, but would probably stay on the monorail next time or if I had small kids.

• Stayed November 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge? Share your experiences!