“Excellent food, strange service” 4 of 5 stars

(407) 370.3359
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dragonfly is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #95 of 3,166 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Tapas
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sand Lake Road West & Della Drive
Description: Dragonfly is a sophisticated twist on the traditional Japanese tapas style dining; serving sushi, sashimi and robatayaki with a full sake bar in an informal lounge atmosphere. Dragonfly strives to reach an emotional enlightenment through the balance of the Sensual, Spiritual and Savory philosophy. Dragonfly is a modern day female yazuka boss.
Hoddesdon, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, strange service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We come from the UK every summer to visit Orlando and this year I managed to persuade my family to try a sushi restaurant. All in all, I absolutely loved Dragonfly. The sushi was superb, the menu had variety and the cocktails were unusual.

For the rest of my family they had a few niggles. Our server was very wooden. Like a machine every time one of us said thank you he would mutter 'You're so very welcome' in a monotonous and annoying way. He was an automaton. The way he described every dish was just like reading off a script at high speed. We hardly caught any of the description and he seemed resentful that he had to learn it all and be drilled into remembering it all by heart.

We left it up to him to choose our menu because we'd never been before and my family aren't accustomed to Japanese cuisine. My parents stipulated not to go overboard with the ordering, and honestly that just went in one ear and out the other. He ordered an obscene amount of food for us. Obviously I didn't mind because I wasn't the one footing the bill. My dad was not best pleased about that!

So ultimately it's a fantastic taste experience with a brilliant menu - the dragonfly roll and pork belly being stand out dishes for me, but the staff need a little less regime and to be a bit more relaxed. I would recommend it to sushi lovers - but don't get ripped off by leaving it up to the waiter to choose your dishes!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

florida
“Sudden change in quality noted”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Just had dinner here last night with my wife for her birthday. We have dined here 10-15 times a year for the last few years and have always been relatively pleased. This was not the case this time. We ordered off the meu instead of the happy hour willing to pay full price for a great meal. Unfortunately the sushi selections were limited and quality was not there. We were served yellowtail with about 1/3rd of the slices comprised of the heart line which, of course, imparted a very fishy quality. We alerted the waitress to this and a "chef's choice" replacement for only half the yellowtail serving was provided.They were out of fresh scallops except for the more expensive Japanese scallops but were unwilling to substitute those in our requested hand rolls. They tried to pass off small cooked bay scallops in those handrolls without letting us know. Again it was a "chef's choice" issue.The albacore was without flavor as though it had been treated in some way to remove a 'getting old' taste.
This was a Monday and perhaps the old rule not to eat at a fish restuarant early in the week may be operating here.
The chef should be more diligent about his preparation and selections as this customer will be considering his "diner's choice" and dining elsewhere.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
North York, Ontario
“Average food. Overpriced.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Had dinner at Dragonfly during our Orlando trip in early July.

The food quality is so so. Given that the prices are above average, I was disappointed. The sushi rice isn't right. Authentic sushi rice should be soft and sticky. Dragonfly's sushi rice is too hard and chunky. Also their sushi rice lacks a sour/sweet flavor.

Noodles are fine. I like the edamame appetizer. It's cooked with butter, and sprinkled with salt and spices.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Inverness, Illinois
“Wonderful food and experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We chose Dragonfly based on other TripAdvisor reviews. We eat a lot of sushi and Dragonfly lived up to its rave reviews. The food was excellent, the atmosphere out on the patio was delightful and our server was fantastic. Strongly recommend.

Visited July 2013
Orlando, FL
“Great & interesting sushi combinations, ok service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I live in Orlando and have been going to this restaurant since ~ Feb 2010. Everytime someone visits (and enjoys sushi) I take them there.

The sushi is consistent on quality and presentation. Service depends on how busy the restaurant is. On all my visits, I rate the service between super to ok. Again, sushi is always delicious and fresh...and the prices are really within the menu price of other restaurants with a less sophisticated atmosphere.

Try the dragonfly sushi (~$13) and mango tango (~$11). Both are really good!

I can't comment on the outside seating but saw several people asking about the happy hour menu...i understood that the happy hour menu is only for outside seating area. We always call for reservations. Only once we had to wait like 45 min due to being a very popular Saturday night.

• Visited May 2013