“typical Disney restaurant ripoff” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,147 of 3,000 Restaurants in Orlando
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The SWAN and DOLPHIN resorts are not Disney properties, but are in DisneyWorld. Both have excellent restaurants and are included in the Disney transportation routes.
NJ
“typical Disney restaurant ripoff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

i find it hard to believe that many Disney World visitors don't feel the same way I do about eating at Disney: the unconscionable prices paid at the restaurants leave such a bad taste in my mouth (pun intended) that they literally ruin the rest of the trip. Case in point: Garden Grove at the Swan Hotel. This was the only character dinner I could book that fit our schedule and could seat my wife and 5 kids. The first major disappointment was getting handed the menus, which limited the choices to only 3 options for the kids and 4 for the adults. We checked the menu online before going, and they had all kinds of the usual fare listed, but when we got there, we only had 4 options, the cheapest of which was $30, beverage not included. The kids menu was even worse: spaghetti, flatbread pizza, or mac and cheese, all for $18 each. I spent nearly $100 on 5 crappy kids dinners that they complained about and barely ate, except for the mac and cheese. I won't waste any more of my time on this miserable meal that set me back over $200 but it goes a long way towards canceling out all the fun my kids have at the parks and makes my wife and I think twice about coming to Disney again.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Springfield, Missouri, USA
“Service and Desserts were the only good things for me”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was our first meal after getting into town. We were starving! I opened the menu to find a total of four different main entre choices, none of which sounded like anything I wanted to eat. We almost left, but had ordered drinks and didn't want to create any scene.. The choices were: prime rib, organic chicken, salmon or chefs veggie mess. It was neat seeing the characters, but like any character experience on site, you get clobbered with expensive meals that usually aren't that good. Our server did a great job and was on top of things. The desserts were good as well. But then again, for the $150 ticket, including to $18 kids meals that were pretty sad, the service should be good. I got the potato hash as a side and it was a pretty sorry looking round thing on my plate that tasted worse.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Stuart, Florida
“Great selections & fresh flakey pastries”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Although we dined like royalty the night before, we thought we might be able to squeeze a few more calories to "fuel" up for the drive home. Buffets can be hit or miss especially if warm to hot food is preferred, however the Garden Grove remedies that concern by offering eggs, any style, made to order. I couldn't contain myself with the selection of fresh fruits, cereals, yogurt as well as pastries, croissants, home fries, sausage links, bacon and the rest of those less than healthy, but oh so got to have items you crave. Did I mention the pastries? Fresh with a capital F, not made ahead, frozen and then thawed. Truly sinful, you can't stop at one, so have 3 or 4 or more. Starting diet soon! Adult buffet is $21.99 per person and includes coffee or tea and juice. Definitely more economical than ala carte, perhaps harder on your tummy, though.

Visited October 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“GREAT BREAKFAST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We visited the Garden grove for breakfast on our first morning ,having arrived the evening before after a 9 hour transatlantic flight and as usual waking at 4am.(being still on British time) we were in need of a good breakfast. We tend to use this restaurant every year on our first morning on our way to picking up our hire car from the Dolphin hotel ,we all decided to have the breakfast buffet which cost"s 21.99$ per.person plus tax which we thought was reasonable considering the huge choice of fruit ,meats, cereals, eggs etc. plus all teas coffee and orange juice were included in the price and the waitress also asked if we would like any more drinks to go (all inclusive of price).The other thing which is good to know is if you are a member of Disneys Vacation club like we have been for 19 years and show your membership card plus photo I.D you then get 20% off your bill !

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Great Service, so-so food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

When I booked this restaurant it had a buffet menu. Between the time I booked it and the time I went there the menu had changed. We had to pay 18 dollars for a child's macaroni and cheese!!! That was the most outrageous thing I had seen, especially since NO other restaurant we visited in Disney charged for a 2 year old!!! We had to pay 15 dollars for parking, no other resort charged! The food was so-so; fatty prime rib, baked potato with a teaspoon of sour cream. We would have preferred the buffet so we could select what we like. That was the whole reason we booked this place. The only saving grace was our waitress Lupe, she was so nice and really on-point!!

• Visited September 2013