“Can't get any closer to the Mouse House.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort

Save Saved
You added Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort to your Saves list
Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4600 North World Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #35 of 329 hotels in Orlando
New Jersey
“Can't get any closer to the Mouse House.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My family of 5 (3 Adults, 2 kids aged 5 and 2) stayed here in a Lake View Studio for 4 nights in early November 2012. First off, everyone must know if you want to stay as close as possible to the Magic Kingdom, this is it. I booked this resort using a broker who gets you together with a Disney Vaction Club member who is not using their points for their own reasons, using this service saved me hundreds of dollars, yes hundreds, as opposed to booking directly through Disney. When the choices came up for rooms, I got a "Lake View" as opposed to a "Magic Kingdom View" (Most Expensive) or "Standard View" (Least Expensive). My "Lake View" room 7606 had a perfect view of the Castle and the nightly fireworks show. As far as distance from the Magic Kingdom, it is litterally a ten minute walk on a lit, safe sidewalk. The Monorail goes directly through the Contemporary Resort next door, but by the time you walk over there and go up the Monorail floor, you can already be in the park by walking. On the way home, it's the same deal, walk and bypass all the people waiting for the Monorail. When you want to go to Epcot take the monorail, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom require a shuttle bus which picks up and drops off right in front of resort. The resort itself is pretty new and modern, although it does lack Disney Decor. My studio had a kitchenette and balcony. The room was pretty small, but with the foldout couch and queen bed, it worked out perfectly for my family as we really didn't spend too much time in it. The pool downstairs is pretty nice with a kids activity leader working there during the day, and a fairly large waterslide which my daughter and I enjoyed. As far as dining goes, most of your options are next door in the Contemporary Resort which is easily accessible via the walkway on the 5th floor. There you will find several restaurants and shopping opportunities. If you are a Disney Vacation Club member or staying there using another Vacation Club member's points like I did, you have access to the 16th floor viewing platform for the nightly fireworks show in the Magic Kingdom (or if you are lucky you can watch just as well from your room balcony). One thing to remember if you are staying as a Vacation Club member, is that housekeeping will not come daily, so you'll have to keep your same towels and take out your own trash (there a room on each floor for garbage drop off). Check-in was easy, you can either check-in in the Contemporary Resort where our Magical Express Bus dropped us off or I understand now you can check-in in the Bay Lake Tower lobby. One negative I must mention though now. The night before we were scheduled to leave I received a call from Delta informing me that my flight the next day was cancelled and I was being rebooked for later that evening. With two small kids this posed a problem so I called the front desk and asked about a possible late check-out (check out is 11 AM, I asked for 1PM) due to my flight and children situation. The woman I spoke with on the phone made it seem as if I asked her to pay for my trip. She informed me that Disney Vacation Club members are NEVER allowed a late check-out, even after explaining my situation. I then asked if I did stay late, what would the extra charge be, she informed me that this was not even an option and told me there would be "serious ramifications" if I stayed beyond 11 AM. Not really sure what they were planning on doing with me (she refused to explain, only emphasising the word "Serious"), mouse jail maybe?? I really felt that I was being treated like a second class guest, the way she categorized me and refused to explain any further, even if she said the room was not available due to another check-in, but she wouldn't say. Overall, if you have young kids and will be spending the majority of your time in the Magic Kingdom, I highly recommend this resort, as you won't have to deal much with getting strollers on and off transportation. Just make sure you play by their rules or face the "serious ramifications!".

Room Tip: Lake View Room 7606 on the 6th floor had a view of the Magic Kingdom.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

880 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Berryville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

When we joined DVC in 2009 I wasn't sure that we would like BLT (our "home" resort), but this year was our second stay and we really love it. The theme may not be quite as in your face as some other Disney resorts, but it is there and nicely done. I love being able to walk to and from the Magic Kingdom and the parking is really convenient (as opposed to at the Grand Floridian). I have read a few reviews that say the rooms are dusty, but I have never had this problem. We have had the dedicated two-bedroom suite and both of our visits and love the three bathrooms (yes, that's right a hotel room with 3 bathrooms)! The spare bath comes in handy when your little one is asleep in your room, we travel with my parents who usually take the master so my son and I share the smaller room, which is still quite large. The one major downside would be that there is nothing in the resort as far as drinks, food, etc. You have to walk over to the main lobby at the Contemporary. This isn't a really big deal unless it is late and you are tired from the day at the parks and just want to run down for a drink, then it can be a bit of a hassle. Overall this is a great resort with the best location on Disney property (in my humble opinion that is!).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jackson, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at the Bay lake Towers Nov 1- 6 in room 7641 overlooking the pool and the lake. This was my 3rd trip to DW having stayed at the Boardwalk and Polynesian Resorts. If you are interested in spending a lot of time at the MK, this is the place to stay. There were six of us, 4 adults, 2 kids so we rented a 2 bedroom suite which gave us plenty of room. The rooms were well furnished and the beds comfortable. There is a walkway to the monorail at the contemporary to Epcot and MK and the buses to the other parks only stop here and Wilderness.
Restaurants and a market are located in the Contemporary. You can swin in the pool located at BLT or it's a very short walk to the pool at the Contemporary. There is also a good area in which to watch the fireworks at MK every night. Would go back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Saugus, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed here in January 2012. We had a designated 2 bedroom villa. I've read many of the reviews online and wanted to clear up a few things. Upon arriving to our villa, it seemed quite dusty so I wiped everything down myself just to realize the next day there was a slight layer of dust on everything again-just like my house! So I don't think that's the cleaning staff's fault. I got the chance to talk to the cleaning staff and they were super nice and helpful. A lot of people have complained about not having locks on the bathroom doors- the doors do have locks, but, the location of the lock is not in your conventional door spot. When you shut the door completely, there is a silver button located on the opposite side of the door from the handle, press that button and the door locks. I can totally see how people would miss that. Also, many have complained about the staff- I found most of the staff very friendly and helpful. One night, my husband and I went out to dinner and upon returning to the hotel, we decided to go to the lounge on the top floor. It was not very busy (maybe about 4 other tables besides us) and after hanging around not getting any service (there was a bartender and waiter) for about 30-40minutes we left without our night cap. I was not so happy with the service there. Our room had a Magic Kingdom view- it was beautiful during the fireworks, but, all other times, you just saw the parking lot. I would highly recommend the Lake view over the MK view. There are plenty of other spots to see the fireworks so you don't need to book the MK view (which is also more expensive). The nice part about being on the monorail is being able to get to MK and Epcot quickly. MK is so close, we decided it was quicker to take the 2minute walk. Also if you stay and watch the fireworks at MK, it is easier to walk back to the hotel then to squeeze into the monorail. Another thing that people complained about was the ripped furniture- I have to admit that the couch was a little worn for such a new hotel and we did not find it comfortable to sit on, but, it was not so horrible that we'd let it ruin our day, never mind our vacation. We found the pool to be clean and inviting. After visiting other DVC hotels, I can see why some would complain about the pool at Bay Lake. Some like it to be super colorful and lively- this one was quiet and simple. I actually did like it, but, if your children like a lot of activity or a least want it on vacation, you might was to take the pool into consideration. Overall, the hotel was really nice and quite comfortable. Loved being by the pool and Bay Lake. Rooms felt spacious. We've looked at other DVC rooms and some of the living spaces in them are terribly small. Second bedroom was very private, which is nice if you have another couple staying with you or you're up early/late and don't want to wake the kids. Loved the open concept and brightness of the livingroom and kitchen. It was awesome having 3 bathrooms! If you wanted to, you could fit a pack and play in the sink area of the master bath so your little one would be less likely to be disturbed if they are a light sleeper. We would go back for sure. Hope this helps!

Room Tip: book a Bay Lake view!!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The best part about Bay Lake Tower is that it is very close to the Magic Kingdom, so you can escape the Magic Kingdom quickly and on foot, because the Magic Kingdom is a horrible, crowded, dirty place. Back to the hotel.....The pool is kind of small. There are no restaurants, but it is a short walk over the bridge to the Contemporary so no worries there. BLT was very quiet, I will say that, rooms are nice, beds are comfy. The decor is not my style, too cold and modern, but it fits in with the theme of the Contemporary so there you go. Don't worry about all of this nonsense with Magic Kingdom View rooms and Lake View rooms, you can go stand on the Bridge to the Contemporary or go to the 4th floor observation deck at the Contemporary and watch them there. Anyway, a decent hotel and the best part was it was easy to get back to so I could leave the Magic Kingdom quickly. A good choice for families with young children, so you can leave quickly too.

Room Tip: Don't worry about "Magic Kingdom View" and "Lake View"....you can see the fi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We returned from a trip to Disney, and a wonderful week stay at Bay Lake Tower, less than two weeks ago. BLT offers the most incredible location. It's hard not to be swallowed up by pixie dust when you are so close to the Magic Kingdom, so I can't understand how some don't feel the 'Disney magic' (our last two stays were at Caribbean Beach, lovely, but not the same feel, by far).

It's a beautiful, clean and quiet resort (even though you're in the heart of it). We had a two bedroom, three bathroom room on an upper level with views of the pool area and the lake. My family of four shared the space with my brother and his girlfriend, and my parents. We all had so much space and privacy (and each had our own bathroom!), it was really wonderful.

The room was clean and spacious, the beds were comfortable, and the view was amazing. The pool area isn't huge, but neither is the resort. It was never crowded and my daughter loved the slide, and we all loved the jacuzzi. They played games poolside each day and there is a counter service restaurant/bar right in the area. The walk to the Contemporary was three minutes at best, and there you can find everything you'd need - market, Chef Mickey's, monorail, shops, walkway to Magic Kingdom etc. We had dinner at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian and it was just so convenient traveling to those nearby resorts.

We loved Bay Lake, are still lamenting the end of our 2012 Disney family vacation, and definitely hope to return!

Room Tip: If you are booking a Lake View room, as for a high floor for the best view possible. If you're l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Albany, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Purchased points through David's DVC and had a wonderful week at Bay Lake Tower in a designated 2 bedroom with 3 bathrooms. Six adults and 2 children and plenty of space with 2 balconies and nice view of pool and lake from the 12th floor. Enjoyed the pool at BLT and also at the Contemporary. The location was fantastic and saved a lot of time going in/out of the parks. We loved our stay! Highly recommend Bay Lake Tower!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort? Share your experiences!