“Fantastic facilities, Beautiful Pools, A1 holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Sunshine on Sale
Ranked #39 of 328 hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
UK
“Fantastic facilities, Beautiful Pools, A1 holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2005

My family, hubby & 2 kids, aged 6 & 4, stayed 5 days at the Hyatt Grand Cypress at the end of August. I was eagerly anticipating our stay as it was the first time we have stayed at an Hyatt. The hotel is huge and we could see it from a distance as we approached the area.
The secure entry gate was a reassuring start and after the security person confirmed we were on the check in list, let us through.
We were allowed to check in early which would have been a great help, but by the time we got to the hotel it was pretty close to the usual check in time. Check in was swift. The service was very polite but no conversation was forthcoming. We were given a room facing the pool and we could see the Disney fireworks but it was on a low floor. The lobby was undergoing renovation but this did not affect us. The lifts were very prompt and there were five of them.
The rooms were dated in look. We had a standard two doubles room and were actually disappointed by the look of the room. We had just spent one night at the Universal Portofino bay hotel and could only rate this room unfavourably in comparison. The beds were definitely not large and were in fact the size of double beds here in the UK. Not the large ones you usually get in the US. The furniture was fine, the decor was very old fashioned with green floral patterns everywhere. The bathroom was standard, not the luxury one I was expecting. That said the toiletries and towels were replenished daily. The balcony was a step on kind and I did not feel particularly safe on it.
The beds were not at all comfortable and I agree with the previous reviewer who said the pillows felt like sand bags. I had one of the best nights sleep at the Portofino one night previously and little did I know the last good nights sleep for the next five nights. Also, the background noise in our room at night did seem particularly loud. It could have been the minibar, but it sounded much noisier than the usual background hum you get.
Why did I rate this hotel so highly?
The facilities....
A gorgeous huge freeform pool with cascading waterfalls. We did not use this, but the smaller heated pool, due to the kids. They absolutely loved it here. The water slide kept them entertained and the pool, though busy was safe for them. My only niggle about the small pool was that there loads of dead bugs floating in it and the floor felt very sandy in places. I am not sure when and if it was cleaned but it definitely needed more attention.
The lake was another great feature with the beach area to one side of it. We took out the hydro bikes, pedalos, and the kayaks. All great fun, and no extra charge (other than in the daily $13 resort fee per room).
There was also bikes for all the family and they provided helmets for the kids. There is a 9 hole pitch and putt course of which use is included in the resort fee. We had too much fun by the pool and lake, and were in fact too lazy to wander over to the course to make use of it.
The cocktails at the bar by the beach were delicious.
For breakfast which was included in our rate, we had a good selection of food to choose from in the Cascades restaraunt. On weekends there was a buffet which was very good, with lots of choice.
The kids menu was reasonably priced and of a good variety.
The Palm cafe was a good place to grab some food at reasonable prices and you could get a Starbucks coffee from there for about $2.50 with free refills the rest of the day if you show them your original receipt. Great Idea!!
We didn't eat here in the evenings as it would have been too expensive for us, so we drove to the nearby (2-3mins) shopping court area, where there were loads of good places to eat.
We had dinner at a place called Kobe's steakhouse, highly recommended.
It's japanese and they cook the food in front of you. very entertaining.
All in all, we had a wonderful stay at the Hyatt, and would go back. It's just a shame I left exhausted and in need of a good nights sleep.

2,258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

I was very excited about coming to the Hyatt in Orlando, I was looking for a non-Disney hotel for a change, and my family and I were very pleased. The pool is one of the best pools I have ever seen. Waterfalls and caves surround this water wonderland. However, the hot tubs were quite small. The staff was great, well trained and very kind. You even get champaigne when you check in. The hotel was built in the 80's so it is a bit dated, but they have made it truly beautiful with their own modern twists. The rooms could be decorated a bit better, and bathrooms do need updating, but really nothing to complain about. I would definatly return when I come to Orlando again. Hyatt lives up to its name here, truly a 5 star resort.

Sowerby Bridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

This hotel is the best hotel i've ever stayed at.

We stayed at the Regency Level - worth every penny.

We had a view over the pool and gorgeous grounds and the room itself was beautiful. Sliding doors to outside really top this hotel about everything else. If your room is on the correct side you can see the Epcot fireworks from your bed. Bed very comfortable and breakfast on the Regency Floor is stunning. The pastries are to die for.

The regency club comes with perks such as free drinks (anything including champagne), water bottles, coffee, canopes and other delicious food. The regency club attendants are forever taking food back in and bringing out new food so it is always fresh. The staff are lovely.

The staff are so friendly and caring throughout the hotel.

The pool is great for adults and children. 2 water slides, descreet jacuzzis and waterfalls. Romantic and fun! The poolside bar serves a delicious melon cocktail - try it!

The atrium is beautiful with a coffee bar (and parrotts during the day to keep you entertained).
The resteraunts are stunning - Hemmingways and the Sports Bar. Sports Bar was our favourite. The steak is unbelievable.

The hotel runs a shuttle service to the parks which is very reliable (not like the Hilton just down the road). It is ontime with a friendly driver.

We really can't say enough about the hotel.
Not sure if everything is covered - but everything was perfect.
If you are considering staying in orlando, stay here.
We will again!!!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2005

My family just returned 3 days ago from a 5-day trip to Orlando at this hotel. I will tell you that I have been to Orlando several times staying at the "Hard Rock Hotel", the "Grand Floridian", and the "Dolphin" to name a few, and this trip to the "Hyatt Grand Cypress" by far topped them all!!!!!

Everytime we past an employee from bellhops to gardeners, maids or managers, we were greeted with a warm "hello" whether it be morning, noon or night. We arrived at 10am and to our surprise our room was ready and given it immediately! (low booking part of the week).

Now it was off to the pool!!!!!! Fantastic!!!!!!!!! Huge and had everything one had to offer (except pool bar). That was no problem beacuse the waitress took our order standing right in the water! My 8 and 11 yr. olds found it quite inviting! They got their exercise climbing up the steps to the water slides for hours!!!

Our room was tastefully decorated and was large enough for a "run of the house room". We requested extra towels which were received in less than a minute! Our water pressure was great with PLENTY of hot water! Each night we found a wash cloth folded in a decorative way on our vanity.

The grounds looked like "the Botanical Gardens" in every nook and cranny!!! BEAUTIFUL!!! Statues, fountains, flowers and tropical foilage! It was hard to believe this was Orlando and not the Carribbean! All I needed to hear was steel band music which didn't happen. The music by the pool could have been better, but it was ok.

The lake was beautiful, where we kayaked, used the paddle boats, a great family time there!

My boys bicycled one morning with a fine selection of bikes to chose from (all included in the stay).

The family used the "pitch and putt" 9-hole golf course which was beautiful!

Overall...it was a WONDERFUL visit. There was construction going on in the lobby as well as poolside (putting new walkways in), but it was only to make it even better...and did not interfere with our visit. I would not hesitate to stay there again and highly recommend this property to my friends!!!!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2005

I just finished a five night stay at the Grand Cypress and was very pleased with the hotel, they are obviously very concerned with their guests well being. Whenever we had a question, or were lost, there always seemed to be someone there willing to help us in a friendly manner.

In my research of the hotel prior to the visit one post had made the comment that the rooms were outdated, this was not true based on my experience. I had one of the lower level "garden" views which would be considered budget for this hotel and found the room to be quite nicely decorated with new and clean furniture artwork, etc. The bath was pleasently large with a separated toilet enclosure and included a scale, which I almost never find in a hotel. The only complaint with the bath was that the drain was slow and tended to collect water, but I did not report this.

The room included a work desk with two chairs, more than adequate for business. The TV had excellent sharpness and there was more than enough storage/closet space for two person's clothing for five days.

I usually avoid hotels in favor of B&B's simply for the issues of privacy and solitude. We may have just been lucky, but this was the quietest room that I can remember being in. During six nights, I cannot remember being awaken once with the usual door slaming, loud plumbling, 3AM drunks, etc. I have the feeling that I may have been lucky that there were no major conventions during this time.

I will affirm one concern that I had read about, namely food pricing, but with a caveat. Our first meal was a Sunday morning buffet that was $18.00, which is no doubt pricey for most of us. But, the meal included French-pressed coffee, a great smoothy and food that tasted and was prepared with high standards. It was not the same old high priced breakfast buffet, and the service was great. We spent two mornings walking to IHOP and Denny's but came to the conclusion that the Hyatt was a far better value than having to walk in the humidity.

One last comment, I found the park tranportation shuttle to be more than adequate for our needs with two exceptions. If you plan to be a park hopper, you may need to reconsider either staying at a Disney resort, or accepting that you will need to take what could amount to an expensive ca b ride. You cannot go from park to park directly on Disney's system, you always need to go to a Disney resort first, and then catch another bus to the new park. If you plan to hop in order to catch a later Hyatt shuttle at a later pick up time, give yourself plently of time, and then some. You should also know the pick up location as the parking areas can be quite large. We went right out of the Tranportation Center (note: this center is NOT the Magic Kingdom as is noted on Hyatt's schedule, the center is a hub between Epcot and the Magic Kingdom) when we should have gone left and ended up five minuets late to pick up the shuttle, this cost us about $25 in cab fees. Also, try to leave the firework show early if you have to get back to a resort, what had been an empty Monorail station turned into a massive exodus of guests a short time after the conclusion of a show. This added an unanticipated 30 - 40 minute delay and another missed shuttle/cab penalty.

You can get around this if you simply spend the whole day at one park. Remember that the shuttle's leave exactly on time, there is no grace here. If you think that you have an extra five minutes, be prepared to either accept the cab penalty, or have a fallback plan to catch the shuttle at a later time ...

Owasso, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2005

We booked this resort approximately 4 months in advance. We booked directly through Hyatt.com as we wanted to be guaranteed a room at this resort and not have to go through some of the overbooking fiascos that sometimes accompany booking with discount package groups, etc.

We arrived at 3:00 p.m., Thursday, July 14th, 2005 for a 10 day stay. After driving up to a security gate and saying we were checking in, the security guard called the front desk to insure that our name was indeed on the roster. My husband pulled the rented convertible (Avis, 397.00 whole 10 days, great rate) into the self-parking garage (parking included in room rate) after he dropped us off with our luggage at the front entrance. My daughter and I proceeded to the check-in desk. This was a very small desk without much fanfare. I had to ask if it was the main check-in desk as it wasn’t really clearly marked. The concierge asked if I would like a complimentary glass of champagne while I checked in. Of course I accepted. Sparkling Juice for my daughter (age 11) would have been nice too though. Check-in process went smoothly. We were given a room overlooking the pool (view of Disney and fireworks) without requesting it. The Bellman arrived and escorted us and our luggage to our room, stopping at a huge picture window on our floor overlooking the pool to point out different areas of the resort and the views of the Disney grounds in the distance.

The Room: As other people have pointed out in the past, the rooms aren’t anything really special. They are about the size of a Holiday Inn room and the bathroom is the same. No special tub, one sink, etc. Our room had two double beds but they seemed smaller than other hotels. The pillows are AWFUL. They are like sand bags. You’re better off folding some towels and putting them in the pillow case. We didn’t even bother to ask for the key to the mini-bar but did request a fridge be brought to the room. We were expecting one the size of the mini-bar but this thing was HUGE. It was only 25.00 for the entire stay. We stocked it up with breakfast stuff and snacks. There is a small coffee maker in the room. It is the kind that pours the coffee directly in the cup, one cup at a time. Coffee and tea (Earl Grey) was supplied. Our room had a small balcony (about 2’) that you could step onto. Most people used theirs to dry their swimsuits (tacky). There is a ceiling fan in all the rooms and we used that every day. The air-conditioning is adequate. Someone else wrote that the air conditioning had a motion sensor and would turn off if it didn’t detect motion. This is not accurate. It has a sensor on it that turns it off if the BALCONY Door is left open. This is to prevent the humidity from entering the room. Keep your balcony door closed and you will be fine. I think the person who wrote that probably just mistakenly turned the thermostat OFF at times.

Bathroom: The bathroom is fairly small. There were only 3 of us and it was too cramped for all three to be at the vanity at the same time. It was too cramped for more than one at a time, actually. The lighting could have been better. There is a lighted make-up mirror however. For the amount of money the room cost, one would expect a vent in the bathroom but there isn’t one. The tub was fairly worn out and could use major overhauling. The water pressure was poor although the hot water never seemed to run out, even after 3 people took very long showers. Our toilet wasn’t connected well to the wall and moved back and forth, banging the wall. The supplied toiletries are not good. The shampoo doesn’t even lather. The conditioner and skin lotion seemed watered down. The face soap dried my skin out and made it itch but I have fairly sensitive skin. I did like the little sewing kits and took those each day. Also, Do NOT believe the scale in the bathroom. Though it might seem like you should have lost 4 or 5 lbs with all the walking and water exercise, you haven’t.
Housekeeping: I am the type of person who appreciates housekeeping service when I am staying in a hotel. I wouldn’t want to do that job and know that a lot of people are basically pigs. We pick up our own trash and tidy up the room every day before leaving. I also leave 5 dollars a day for housekeeping. A lot of people say that’s a lot but I figure if I’m paying 200-300 dollars a night for a room, I can afford an extra 5 a day for the maid. That said, housekeeping could use some re-training. I left notes with the tip requesting extra towels, etc. The requests were ignored. I wrote in plain print block letters so I know they could read my handwriting. Perhaps they could not read English. After a few days of that I finally called housekeeping and mentioned that things like the coffee and tea were not being re-stocked. I requested extra towels at the same time. The next day the room was loaded up with stuff and there were specialty soaps that hadn’t appeared before.

The Pool(s): There are two pools. One is a large pool that is divided in half by a large grotto that contains a couple of hot tubs. The Grotto area houses the Game Room, The Gym, Restrooms and what used to be the pool bar. I’m not sure why the pool bar inside the Grotto is no longer functional but there is a bar “hut” by the towel hut now. One section of the pool is smaller and features a fairly good waterslide. This got a lot of action from kids and adults alike. Kids 13 and under have to pass a height requirement and get a wristband from the Towel Hut before they can slide. The other side of the pool has cascading waterfalls that are fun to float under. Most of the pool is 3-5 feet. There is a small area by a waterfall that is 6.5 feet. A lot of people were jumping off the side of the pool through the waterfall in that area. From what we were told, the side of the pool that has the large waterslide is the smoking side. There were a lot of people on that side smoking cigars. The larger side of the pool by the towel hut is “supposedly” non-smoking. There is an elevated deck above the pool deck that people are supposed to go to if they want to smoke. This rule is not enforced unless someone complains. As a non-smoker let me say this: I detest smoking and I understand that it is outside but there are a lot of people who still can’t stand the smell of tobacco. I witnessed sloppy smokers by the pool edge who did not care if their ashes dropped into the pool water. Also, there are little kids around. If you HAVE to smoke while at the pool, go to the upper decks away from those you might offend. I realize that there are a lot of international visitors to the resort who are used to more relaxed views on the smoking practice so if you are a non-smoker who is being offended by the cigarettes, simply complain nicely to the towel hut concierge and they will then have security ask the person to refrain from smoking on the lower pool deck or move to the smoking side of the pool. Between the two pools is a smaller heated pool. There is also a smaller waterslide for tots at the heated pool. None of the hot tubs were terribly hot. The tubs in the grotto need to have more jets in them. They were more like tepid swirling bathtubs than real hot tubs. The Towel Hut opens around 10:00. You have to check out towels and return them there when you are finished. The reason for checking the towels out is another measure to prevent people from driving onto the hotel grounds, parking and simply using the pool.

The only problem I had with the pools is this: I think the smaller heated pool was originally intended to be the “small child, baby pool”. It is the one that has the little waterslide for the small kids. It is my opinion that ANY baby or child in diapers should be contained in that one pool. I never put my daughter’s diapered bottom in a public swim area that was not a “baby pool”. It’s just gross and I think that should be better enforced. If you have a child in diapers, please think about the fact that babies do not have control and diapers are NOT always leak proof.

The Beach and Lake: The beach area was kind of neat. The sand was a bit hot to play on a steamy July day however. The lake is only for boating and water biking. No swimming allowed but who would want to swim in a yucky lake anyway when there is a fantastic pool right there? The use of the kayaks and hydro bikes and paddle boats are included in your resort fee (yes, you will pay a $13 a day resort fee on top of the room rate). You have to sign a waiver the first time you use anything and the waiver is good for the rest of the stay. I didn’t really read the waiver but I assume it basically said if you get injured or die while using any of the resort toys, then you can’t sue. The hydro bikes were fun. The paddle boats are HARD. If you are not in premium shape, skip them cause once you paddle out to the middle of the lake, you still have to paddle on back. There is a trunk with life vests and pails and shovels to play in the sand available for guest use. The beach contains a volleyball net (there’s one in the pool as well) and a tetherball. There are hammocks on the beach as well but I didn’t witness many people using them because it was so hot. If there were fans above them that would have been better! You are supposed to go to the Towel Hut Concierge and sign-up to use the water toys as well as the many land bicycles that are available to the guests. The Towel hut also has inflated swim rings for use free of charge. They also sell them. We purchased a couple because we really didn’t like the thought of using a “community” inflatable. The pool concierge will blow them up for you with the air compressor. They will even blow up the inflatables you didn’t purchase from them (Walmart and Walgreens had them for 2 dollars). Please tip them at least a dollar if they do this for you. All the pool concierges are nice but there is one named Emily who is WONDERFUL. This girl was always friendly and helpful no matter how many guests were screaming at her for her attention. There is a large outdoor fire pit that usually gets going at night with marshmallow roasting, etc. It was closed during our stay due to renovations. There are scheduled activities around the pool/beach area for kids and adults. Saturday nights feature a movie by the pool. It was changed to one of the conference rooms during our stay however.

Restaurants/Bars: The only restaurants we visited were the Palm Café’ which is located close to the pool area. This is a small snack type restaurant which also offers Pizza, sandwiches and salads. This is the ONLY reasonably priced eating establishment at the resort. We also ate dinner one night at the White Horse Sports Bar. Now, this wasn’t really a sports bar. It was a really nice, elegant restaurant with televisions. Don’t think that because it’s called a sports bar, that you will get an inexpensive dinner. The dinner menu featured elegant appetizers like escargot stuffed mushrooms (which were fabulous). Dinner for 2 adults and 1 child with one bottle of wine and a bottle of Pellegrino water ran $250. We ate breakfast every day in-room (cereal, etc. purchased from the grocery store Goodins which is located in a shopping center just around the corner from the resort) and ate lunch either from the Palm Café’ (a tip about eating poolside: Don’t order lunch from the bar hut or the pool waitress. Throw on a cover up and sandals and go into the Palm Café’ instead..you get the same food if you order it directly inside and it’s cheaper and faster) or off-site somewhere. There are a lot of fast food restaurants and chain restaurants in the same shopping center as Goodins Grocery (I think it’s called the Crossroads Center). There is also a Winn-Dixie located close by as well. We didn’t eat at Hemingway’s but it looked kind of nice. All the restaurants are casual, not even requiring long pants on men (which I don’t agree with).

There was really only one bar inside the lobby that I knew of. It is called Trellises. It is just an open area bar, nothing special featuring mediocre wines for $8-$10 a glass.

Hotel Lobby/Grounds: The hotel lobby is nice. It is vertically expansive. The afternoon we arrived it had been raining pretty well and there were shop vacs along some of the canopied areas inside the lobby because the skylight roof leaks. Normally during the day hours there are various birds (large Parrots, Cockatoos, etc.) on several perches. The day we arrived they weren’t out because of the rain and leaky circumstances. We later got to visit with them. There is one white bird (I don’t know his name but he is perched adjacent to Merlot, the large Parrot) that whistles suggestively to you as you walk by. I call it the “rare construction worker cockatoo”. Every day around 2:30 a bellman will introduce the birds to those around and you can take photos with them.

The grounds are nice to walk around. If you go out the doors through Cascade restaurant (located adjacent to the Palms Café’) you will see a nice walkway with a little bridge and a part of the lake that the ducks and swan seem to frequent. There is a black swan there as well. It’s the first time I’ve seen a black swan in person. I couldn’t figure out why the ducks and swan liked that area most until I spotted the reason. There is a “fish food” machine located on the bridge railing that you can put a quarter into and get a handful of food to feed the ducks and swans. My husband and I started laughing when we spotted a “Beware of Alligators” sign. As we were cracking up an employee walked by and stated that he personally had never seen any but apparently after a hurricane a few years back someone spotted one so they put the sign up just in case. I think it’s really just to further discourage people from getting into the water.

Parking: There is no covered parking at the resort. The parking lot is fairly shaded however. Be prepared for kind of a long, sometimes uphill walk from the parking lot to the hotel. Better yet, just get the hubby to drop you and the kids off at the front entrance each time and let him go park. 

I want to mention that we met some fellow guests and had the opportunity to view one of the Penthouse Suites. This particular suite was two stories with the sleeping area and large spa-like bathroom upstairs. The bedroom area upstairs was an open area though so we didn’t really care for that. There was a VERY large walk-out deck with table and chairs. This Suite was located on the 18th floor. The view was lovely but I have seen nicer hotel suites in Las Vegas for a fraction of the cost.

I think that about covers everything regarding our stay. All the staff is super-friendly and that seems to make up for the needed physical updating of the rooms. We would recommend this resort to anyone wishing to stay offsite of Disney, however, I think all-in-all we preferred our stay at Universal Studios’ Portafino Bay Hotel two years ago.

San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2005

My two kids (7) and (10) and I went to Grand Cypress the week of July 8 -July 16. We had a couple of negative experiences, but they were fixed fairly quickly and we ended up having a great time.

When we arrived, a beauty pagaent was being held at the hotel and they had given our room away (high floor - swimming pool view) and put us in a room on a low floor with no view and they were out of rollaway beds. I was quite upset about this, but once I asked to speak to a manager - they responded well. They didn't charge us for that night and the next day they moved us to a better room. The next day I took my kids to Hyatt Kids Camp, which is wonderful - especially if you are travelling alone with kids. I went back to the room to sleep, but they were doing construction on the floor and the sound came through the air vents. I called to inquire when this would end and they said it would be done soon and were very apologetic. Later that night, when the kids and I returned from Disney World, there was a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberrys in the room with a note from the manager. The only other issue I had was on the first night when all the teenager beauty queens and their beau's were running around the grounds and jumping off the bridge over the pool - very dangerous. I brought this to the manager's attention and he sent someone out right away.

Tips: Kid's room service menu is a great value, the Hyatt Kid's Camp is wonderful and the staff and counselor's are terrific. My kid's had such a good time they asked if they could go back the day we were suppose to go to Animal Kingdom. Please note, the daycare room is quite small - but good for infants and toddlers - however the counselor's take them swimming, bike riding, over to the equestrian center...Pool and slide are great. There is a smaller pool which is heated more for little kids with a smaller slide.

Also, ask for a high floor room with a pool view in the left wing as you are facing the hotel. This has the best view of the fireworks at DisneyWorld and Epcot Center at night!!!

Downside: Hotel's shuttle service to the Disney World parks don't run very frequently. You end up taking a cab between the hotel and parks a lot. It runs you about $15 - $20 bucks each way. I don't think you can avoid this, unless you stay at a Disney property or don't mind the limited schedule of the shuttles.

Extra: We went to Epcot Center the last day and didn't have much time to spend there. I wish we had spent more time there. It was really interesting and the fireworks at night are spectacular. It was really magical with the kids. Also, one of our favorite experiences was at Gatorland. It is old and funky - but what fun for the kids. Alligators everywhere - my son said he like it best of all the places we went.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress? Share your experiences!