My family, hubby & 2 kids, aged 6 & 4, stayed 5 days at the Hyatt Grand Cypress at the end of August. I was eagerly anticipating our stay as it was the first time we have stayed at an Hyatt. The hotel is huge and we could see it from a distance as we approached the area.
The secure entry gate was a reassuring start and after the security person confirmed we were on the check in list, let us through.
We were allowed to check in early which would have been a great help, but by the time we got to the hotel it was pretty close to the usual check in time. Check in was swift. The service was very polite but no conversation was forthcoming. We were given a room facing the pool and we could see the Disney fireworks but it was on a low floor. The lobby was undergoing renovation but this did not affect us. The lifts were very prompt and there were five of them.
The rooms were dated in look. We had a standard two doubles room and were actually disappointed by the look of the room. We had just spent one night at the Universal Portofino bay hotel and could only rate this room unfavourably in comparison. The beds were definitely not large and were in fact the size of double beds here in the UK. Not the large ones you usually get in the US. The furniture was fine, the decor was very old fashioned with green floral patterns everywhere. The bathroom was standard, not the luxury one I was expecting. That said the toiletries and towels were replenished daily. The balcony was a step on kind and I did not feel particularly safe on it.
The beds were not at all comfortable and I agree with the previous reviewer who said the pillows felt like sand bags. I had one of the best nights sleep at the Portofino one night previously and little did I know the last good nights sleep for the next five nights. Also, the background noise in our room at night did seem particularly loud. It could have been the minibar, but it sounded much noisier than the usual background hum you get.
Why did I rate this hotel so highly?
A gorgeous huge freeform pool with cascading waterfalls. We did not use this, but the smaller heated pool, due to the kids. They absolutely loved it here. The water slide kept them entertained and the pool, though busy was safe for them. My only niggle about the small pool was that there loads of dead bugs floating in it and the floor felt very sandy in places. I am not sure when and if it was cleaned but it definitely needed more attention.
The lake was another great feature with the beach area to one side of it. We took out the hydro bikes, pedalos, and the kayaks. All great fun, and no extra charge (other than in the daily $13 resort fee per room).
There was also bikes for all the family and they provided helmets for the kids. There is a 9 hole pitch and putt course of which use is included in the resort fee. We had too much fun by the pool and lake, and were in fact too lazy to wander over to the course to make use of it.
The cocktails at the bar by the beach were delicious.
For breakfast which was included in our rate, we had a good selection of food to choose from in the Cascades restaraunt. On weekends there was a buffet which was very good, with lots of choice.
The kids menu was reasonably priced and of a good variety.
The Palm cafe was a good place to grab some food at reasonable prices and you could get a Starbucks coffee from there for about $2.50 with free refills the rest of the day if you show them your original receipt. Great Idea!!
We didn't eat here in the evenings as it would have been too expensive for us, so we drove to the nearby (2-3mins) shopping court area, where there were loads of good places to eat.
We had dinner at a place called Kobe's steakhouse, highly recommended.
It's japanese and they cook the food in front of you. very entertaining.
All in all, we had a wonderful stay at the Hyatt, and would go back. It's just a shame I left exhausted and in need of a good nights sleep.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover one of Orlando's most inviting escapes, Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. The outstanding array of resort amenities filling our resort creates an amazing retreat for families and business travelers, alike. Play golf and tennis, swim, sail, or treat yourself to a massage. Savor a meal prepared by our renowned chefs – cuisine ranges from authentic southwestern fare to fresh sushi and a sumptuous American buffet breakfast daily. Our family-friendly resort offers an ideal location adjacent to Disney World – kids of all ages will love exploring area attractions. When it comes time to relax, return to our resort, where you always find legendary Hyatt service and smiling staff waiting to welcome you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Venere, Agoda and TIG Global so you can book your Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Hotel Orlando
- Hyatt Orlando
- Hyatt Grand Cypress
- Grand Hyatt Orlando
- Hyatt Regency Orlando
- Hyatt Regency Hotel Orlando
- Hyatt Hotel Orlando