“Nice Hyatt property near Disney World” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #53 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Forney, Texas
“Nice Hyatt property near Disney World”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

If one is going to Disney World and wants a nice Hyatt property, this is a good choice. However, from what I understand construction is going on and if noise bothers you, you will need to make sure you get a room away from it. The property itself is a resort with good restaurants. Service, in general was excellent; however, housekeeping was at times lacking (didn't clean my room one day and often didn't replace amenities). Since I'm a diamond member I had access to the regency room which seemed a little more limited than others (e.g., didn't have a refrigerator stocked with water and soda that other regency rooms typically have) but the quality of food offered was above average. While I think this hotel would be great for a family on vacation, as a businessman, I found this hotel and my room to have everything I needed. Even if one is going to be working at the convention center, like I did and which is a little over a ten minute drive away, this is a good choice if one wants, in particular a Hyatt property . . . and given nowadays one must almost always drive to the convention center anyway even if their hotel is closer to it.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the construction
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I was told by so many colleagues and friends that this hotel was something to visit with the kids and boy were they NOT WRONG!! The hotel was alittle frustrating reaching because of the traffic and the close proximity to Disney but once there it was worth it. The kids enjoyed themselves as well as I. I got some much needed dad time with them and they just swam and ran themselves into 10 hour comas both nights we stayed! The staff was so wonderful in assisting me with food recommendation's and even providing my kids with ice cream sundae's as a gift.....( THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THAT) All in all we look forward in returning again VERY SOON!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your review and noting that your kids as well as yourself had so much fun. Our staff shined again with our assistance and it looks like it made a very positive impact on your stay. Thank you for choosing Hyatt and look forward to your next visit.

Versailles, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This particular hotel must not recognize platinum Hyatt members. We never recieved a paper & it was a big deal to get a late check-out. Our room was a corner king with a great view...but was tiny & had only a shower..which is difficult to bath an infant in. Our room was clean...ice bucket & trash were not emptied daily...but we had a crib waiting for us, thank you!!!!
We had a horrible incident with our ride home from Disney...the bus driver stopped the bus in the middle of the highway with no flashers, opened the four & got off the bus. He was gone for atleast 5 minutes with no explanation & an open door. Turns out he dropped his cell phone out the window while he was littering & retrieving the cell phone was more important than our safety. The following days we opted for other transportation to Disney $27 each way. The night front desk manager was very concerned & nice when a few of us told her of the incident.
Be aware that there is a $26 resort fee daily..which includes a bus ride to Disney, Internet, & paddle & sail boats on a lake that has warning signs for crocodiles all around it. Also, $12 for self park.

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Everywhere you turn, the staff is looking to ensure a pleasant stay, whether its the bell desk handing you a towel and an ice cold water after a long run, the people serving coffee, or the folks providing towels by the wonderful pool. The rooms great, the restaurants are adequate and the pool is nothing short of gigantic with water falls and tunnels. The gym is small and minimal, and is perhaps the only short coming. The running trail is perfect and includes distances for everyone!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your 5 point review and noting that our staff was always looking out for you. Seeing you return from a run, our bell staff handed you a towel and bottle of water to cool you down. That is just one example of the things we do to please our guests. Glad you enjoyed the room and the pool. Our health club is currently being renovated and will be bigger and better than ever. It should be open by mid to late February 2013. We hope you will return to experience all of our exciting new features and upgrades !!

Montgomery, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My wife and I had stayed there a couple of year ago and decided to go back. Because of some issues with some South American Soccer Teams our three days there was a disaster. The reason I rated them high is the responsivness of the hotel staff. They did the best they could do short of putting some people on the street, which I understand they could not do as the most of the problems were caused by young people that had no controls or chaperones. A few day after we had checked out I received a call from the General Manager of the hotel to personally apologize for what had happened to us. He was very sincere and was agreeable to a reasonable solution that he and worked out. Because of this we will give this hotel another chance and so should you.

Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This resort hotel was the "winning bid" to our priceline offer of $100 per night for a "4 star or greater or resort" choice.

For your info, we are a family of 5. Me, my husband, and 3 kids (7, 5, and 2) and we live only 1.5 hours from Disney. Our sole purpose of coming over to Orlando was to take the kids to Disney for a few days.

Here are the things we found positive and nice about the hotel:

- Complimentary champagne upon check-in
- Beautiful grounds
- My kids were excited that they had a parrot (named Merlot) in the lobby
- The staff was friendly
- Our room was very clean
- The one pool that was not under construction was heated, which was nice

Now some neutral observations:
- As soon as you pull up to the drive, the valet is right there and says they will park your car. This is nice if you realize that there is a charge of $23 per day for valet parking. Not so nice if you are unaware of this charge (which in our case was waived, hence this being "neutral"). Self park is $13 per day. The valet is very nice, but be aware this is a service you are charged extra for!

- There is currently renovations/construction going on at the hotel. Our room did not face the pool or lake, which turned out to be a good thing because that was the side renovations were being done on so it would have been loud.

- Be aware that as of this review (1/11), there are no hot tubs on the grounds, and there is only 1 heated pool. It has a water slide for the kids (over 44'') that closes at 5. The pool closes at 8. You can take a free complimentary shuttle over to the Grand Cypress villas, and you can use their pool and their hot tub (which was very nice!) but it can be a hassle since you need to call for the shuttle, then be shuttled over to another facility, then call to be shuttled back, etc. However, THAT pool/hot tub closes at 11 (they told me 10 but the shuttle driver insisted it was 11 and we stayed until 10:30 with no problems)

Negatives:

-NO BATHROOM PRIVACY FROM YOUR OTHER ROOM OCCUPANTS (explained below)
- While the sliding door to the bathroom/closet "looked" nice (if you closed the sliding door to the closet, the bathroom was open and exposed... if you closed it to the bathroom, the closet space was open and exposed) - it's a horrible idea, especially if you want privacy in the bathroom!! There is no way to lock it, so a curious child can constantly open and close the door to the bathroom while you are in it!

- The "rainfall" shower head seems like a nice feature, but really it feels just like that: rainfall. Can you shower and get a good sudsing in the rain? Well I certainly can't - and I couldn't with this shower head. Thank goodness there was a handheld shower head, though I would have much preferred to just have a stationary shower head with good pressure.

- There is no "fan" that turns on when you are in the bathroom. So besides the fact that the air doesn't circulate in there..... if you are rooming with anybody, be aware that they can hear you doing your business in the bathroom!

- Good luck trying to figure out the TV. It was all kinds of complicated. I'm not generally technologically impaired, but at the end of a long day, all I wanted to do was turn on the TV and relax. However, with no channel guide on either the TV or anywhere visible in the room, and a very slow-to-change-channel TV, I was not about to spend 20 minutes trying to find a suitable station.

- Trying to figure out the front desk # was a pain. They should have it plainly posted, like most hotels and resorts do, but they don't. For your reference, it is "50."

- The restaurants and food offered in the resort/hotel is ridiculously priced. Absolutely ridiculous. Eating in Disney is less expensive - no exaggeration! And forget getting anything delivered. I inquired about delivery options and was told that any delivery person would be stopped at the (gated) entrance to the resort. If I wanted food delivered, I would have to walk myself to the gate (about 1/2 mile or more up the road!) to get it myself. nice, huh?

By far the worst thing with this resort: Absolutely horrible bus/shuttle service to Disney (or other theme parks). HORRIBLE.

They offer 2 leave times for Disney: 8:50am and 10am. And when they write those times, they aren't kidding. Thank GOD we RAN our butts to the 10am bus. Had we been 30 seconds late, we would have missed the bus and been told that we needed drive ourselves or take a $25 taxi! Each time we took the bus and had the female driver, she turned OFF the air conditioning. And these past few days it has been unseasonably hot so that bus was pretty stifling.

The pick-up times were 6pm, 8pm, and 9:45 (and no kidding, if you miss any of those times, you better have at least $25 for a taxi, because they're not coming back to pick you up!) The last night we had to RUN in order to make the 9:45 bus and when I say run, I mean "feet don't fail me now" run. Nice workout, but not what I had in mind to end my night at Magic Kingdom. I didn't come here for their marathon, lol. And it wasn't like we were dilly-dallying either.... but there is only so much pushing and wriggling through masses of people that you can do. But anyway I digress....

The bus service was awful, horrible. All in all, I do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone who comes to the area with the intention to go to any of the theme parks. In what you pay for their "resort fee" ($23 per night plus taxes/fees) - there should be more and better shuttle service. But there isn't.

Also, no continental breakfast is offered. We were told if we wanted breakfast in one of the cafes, it would cost something like $21 per adult and $10 per child. RIDICULOUS!!

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is a gem of a hotel.

A little tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the main streets, the quiet this provides is astonishing - You'd hardly know that you were a minutes walk away from local amenities and a very short drive over to Disney.

The pool and facilities are fantastic, with a lovely cave system connecting the heated pool area and the (much needed!) cold waters. They offer all sorts of additional activities which we sadly didn't find the time to appreciate.

The staff were more than welcoming and keen to help where they could, and house keeping were swift and polite. Everything was notably clean, as you'd expect from the pricetag! Air conditioning kept the Orlando heat out, and our room also included a small balcony, perfect for waking up to.

We'll certainly contemplate visiting again this May when we return to Orlando - though the price is a little steep!

Room Tip: If you can, I'd suggest avoiding a room near the bar or by reception - but the doors are heavy d...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and noting that we are so close to everything yet it feels secluded. Both would be correct as we are right in the heart of Lake Buena Vista but tucked away and buffered by our 1500 acre resort. So nice to know that our staff was welcoming and that you found everything notably clean. We hope that when you return in May 2013 that you will not only choose to stay with us again but to enjoy all the new and improved amenities that are currently near completion.

Steven.Ballot@Hyatt.com

Been to Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress? Share your experiences!