We stayed at OKW for 10 nights in May 2010, with our twin 5 year old girls. This was the first time using our Disney Vacation Club membership, and OKW was the only resort we could get into that had all the nights available. So we booked and hoped for the best.
From the moment we arrived I got a good feeling...in typical Disney fashion, everyone was wonderful and welcoming. We stayed in a one bedroom suite, which was really a fair-sized one bedroom apartment. There was a spacious separate bedroom, then a queen pull-out in the living room. We also had a full kitchen, a walk-out to a patio with table & chairs, a jacuzzi tub (which the kids loved!), laundry facilities...the list goes on! There was nothing that we wanted that hadn't been included. We did a run to Walmart shortly after we arrived and picked up some very basic groceries that allowed us to start our days as leisurely as we wanted without having to worry about where to feed the girls.
The grounds of the resort were very nice as well, clean, of course, and really quite lovely in that pastel Key West motif. We tried 3 different pools - the main one with a waterslide was the big attraction, but the two "neighbourhood" pools we visited (closer to our suite) were great too. We also tried the community hall one evening - there were family games that we did with the kids for a couple of hours and it was a nice diversion from the one evening of rain we experienced.
Dining at OKW was very limited; we didn't try the full-service restaurant as the reviews hadn't been great, but the two counter service places were fine. We were on the dining plan so we had ample choices for meals, and as we were out at the parks or Downtown Disney most of the time, this worked out just fine.
The one thing I would note, is that we defintiely had an easier time of things because we had a car. We took full advantage of the complimentary parking at the parks and other resorts (very grateful for the GPS!) and avoided many hours of waiting for buses etc. You can certainly manage without a vehicle, but because OKW is more remote to some of the parks it did make it easier to be able to drive.
Much as we plan to try several of the DVC resorts over the years, OKW is defintiely on our list for a return visit! Apparently the rooms are a bit bigger at OKW than the other DVC properties, so it may just end up a favourite.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the romance of the Florida Keys at this tranquil community of Conch Flats-a sprawling island hamlet with shimmering waterways, swaying palm trees and manicured golf-course fairways. Delight in sun-soaked pools, casual dining and such amenities as fully equipped kitchens or kitchenettes. A peaceful tropical paradise, Disney's Old Key West Resort is also just a boat ride away from the excitement of the Downtown Disney area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com and getaroom.com so you can book your Disney's Old Key West Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney`s Old Key West Hotel Orlando
- Old Key West Resort
- Disneys Old Key West Hotel
- Disney Old Key West Resort
- Key West Disney
- Disneys Old Key West Resort