“NOT WORTH IT!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Old Key West Resort

You added Disney's Old Key West Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Old Key West Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1510 North Cove Road, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830-1000   |
Ranked #69 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
NEW YORK CITY
“NOT WORTH IT!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

After staying at some of Disney's "moderate" resorts, we thought we'd try one of the DVC (Disney Vacation Club) resorts, which are mostly listed as "Deluxe."

We easily found many websites that match buyers & sellers - owners with timeshare points to spare sell them, which allows you to get the room at about what you might pay Disney for a regular Moderate room. Unused DVC rooms can be booked direct, but at a more expensive rate. The Disney rate for our studio was $299/night for the time we were there. If we had paid that we would have felt extremely unsatisfied.

The Studio was the same size as Disney's regular moderate rooms, with the addition of a tiny kitchen which featured a microwave, small fridge & coffeemaker. No sitting area. A tiny balcony with no view.

Also, these rooms come with LESS maid service. Towels get changed twice a week, room get cleaned once a week.

The grounds are HUGE, some rooms a 15 minute walk to the reception area.

Olivia's is fine, but overpriced & our server seemed distracted.

Bring your own booze & beer - the lobby shop sells for two to three times normal prices.

Overall - we thought it was worth less then some of the, lower cost, "moderate" rooms we've stayed in on Disney property.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

My fiancé and I stayed here after a day at Epcot. I had booked the room under the impression that it was “deluxe” after speaking with a Disney representative; however, the only nice thing about this hotel was the staff. The room is in desperate need of upgrades, and for some reason we were put in a handicapped assessable room which only made it worse. It looked nothing like the pictures on the website. The bedroom had ugly,scratchy bedding and a tiny old TV.

The bus service to and from the park was nice, but it took forever to get anywhere. Driving would have been a much smarter choice.

It was late we were too tired from the park so we decided we could deal with the room for one night, but I will never stay at another Disney property after this experience. Easily one of the most disappointing hotels I have ever stayed in.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — The Bed
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa at Disney's Old Key West resort from Jan 10-17, 2009. All and all, we loved it! The grounds are beautiful, the pools are warm (which was good because we got some chilly weather) and it's very family friendly! We were 4 adults and 2 kids under 4 and we had a ton of space. To say that the unit was roomy would be an understatement! We were in building 54 which is close to the smallest pool, but we loved it because you could just take the kids across the street and the pool was very quiet. I think I would have preferred to be a bit closer to the main pool, but we can do that next time! The main pool area is busy & full of energy, which I loved! They show movies on certain nights outside which I thought was very cool!

We ate at Olivias, and I will say, I didn't love it. It was ok, but too small of a menu & very pricey. However, the meal that I did order was beautifully presented & they had good options for the kids.

All and all, we had a great stay! I have nothing but great things to say & would definitely return.

• Liked — large room, resort amenities
  • Disliked — probably the restaurant
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

The hotel is OK. We had a studio that was looking dated, with a few issues burned out bulbs lack of cups, plates, paper goods etc. The grounds are really nice and well kept. The staff was very friendly. Enjoyed all aspects of the stay with the the exception of the room, odd thing was there were 2 beds one really comfortable and the other like a rock.

• Liked — Disney Perks - ie transportation and extra park hours
  • Disliked — dated
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

My hubby and I stayed here from December 3-10th. First off I wanna start by saying we used a family members Disney Vacation Club points.We arrived in Orlando on the 2nd but stayed at All Stay Sports for one night before checking into OKW on the 3rd. Check in was fine except the gentleman behind the desk spoke such broken English we could not understand him. We get to our room and immediately the smell of bleach almost knocks us over. I ran to open the patio door before we passed out and there in the bed room were standing two maintenance men and they just looked at us and began to walk out. I said EXCUSE ME and they responded with " it only smells like that cause the cleaning girl was just here, its ok... REALLY there are no problems here" then the two men rushed out the door. We immediately called the front desk I told them all star sports, having now stayed there on 2 separate occasions was a palace compared to this dump. They told us they apologized for the smell but that's how you get all the mold from the OLD showers to not show OR smell. WE changed to a new room. this new room was MUCH better. VERY CLEAN and no bleach smell YAHOO!! the only complaint we have about this room was the noise from our neighbors with a very unhappy child for most of the trip. On a better note Olivia's was DELICIOUS. We are here after a long day at the park and it really just hit the spot and our waitress was super sweet. I also want to add the people working at the gift shop store were all so friendly. Over all we will not be going back to old key west the bed was hard and I felt like I needed a vacation from my vacation..NOT AGAIN

• Liked — pool and restaurant Olivias
  • Disliked — DIRTY and needs updating
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

After reading the reviews, I hesitantly booked this resort, and I am so glad I did! Before I even walked into the lobby, I was greeted by a porter who simply said "welcome home". It definitely felt like home! The villa was roomy enough for my husband and me and the 3 kids, and everything was so unbelievably comfortable that I had the best sleep I have ever had away from home. Even the fold out bed was comfortable! It was also so quiet. There were no sounds of people running in the hallways or slamming doors. To top it off, we had a washer/dryer in our room, which comes in handy when traveling with a 1 year old that wears her food more than she eats it! Overall, it was a fantastic experience, and I look forward to staying there again.

• Liked — Felt like home
  • Disliked — I should have gotten one with 2 bathrooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Long Beach NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

Read the reviews for Disney's Old Key West and was excited to go but also a little leery. My prior timeshare experience was at Marriotts Cypress Harbour (which is excellent) so i knew i would be making comparisons. Cyprees Harbour wins in some aspects, OKW in others.
First off, if you are gonna go to Disney, you have to stay on Disney property. For the excellent transportation alone, it is worth the price. It beats renting a car and paying for parking everyday. With that said, staying at a timeshare is kind of a waste if you're going to parks all day long. But as far as timeshares go, OKW was nice and big. The newer Disney Timeshares, from what i am told, are not as spacious as OKW. The Kitchen area opened up into the dining area and the living room area. Very nice and warm. The amenities were nice, the couch had one rip in it, but it was really no big deal. Bathrooms were spacious and clean and functioning. The Jacuzzi tub was excellent, especially since the temp dipped to the 40's the week we were there. Carpets were clean, washer dryer worked, coffe pot worked. What else do you need.
As far as the grounds go, they were very clean yet could be somewhat confusing. OKW isn't built in a circular pattern, like some other places. So the Hospitality house/General store/restaurant area could be a little far depending on where you were located. We were in the middle of the resort and it would have been nicer to have it a lil bit closer. But there was another pool area nearby with a snack shop/grill open during the day. As far as the genaral store goes, they have pretty much everything you need, the prices, other than beer, were reasonable, although we did pack some coffee(forgot the filters!!) before we left from home. The main pool area was nice and had a great slide, and a ton of lifegaurds always circling. Lots of activities to do as well. People who knocked this resort, I can't imgine it being that bad. I though it was a great place to stay.
With that said, i also need to add that i traded for this timeshare, and didn't pay the $680 a night during the off season for the 2 bedroom suite i stayed in. If i had paid that, i'm sure i may have been a little harsher, but not much.
One more piece of advice...If this is your first trip to Disney, stay at the cheapest hotels (value resorts) because you probably won't be in the room more than for a shower and sleep anyway. If you're going to Disney to NOT go to the parks, but maybe to enjoy some Florida sunshine and everything else that is NOT in the parks, OKW will suit you just fine.
Any questions, feel free to email me.

• Liked — Transportation
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Disney's Old Key West Resort? Share your experiences!