“Christmas stay at OKW” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Old Key West Resort

Save Saved
You added Disney's Old Key West Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Old Key West Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1510 North Cove Road, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830-1000   |
Ranked #76 of 328 hotels in Orlando
MONTROSE
“Christmas stay at OKW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is a unique and beautiful property located between Downtown Disney and Epcot. The landscaping is lush and the layout of the resort makes it quiet and private. Online check-in made time at the front desk minimal. The buses are designated for OKW only and came regularly. The longer we stayed, the more I loved it. The cast members were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 22 and this is a 7-minute walk to the Hospitality House. We would have prefer...

1,390 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The Old Key West Resort is a great place to stay in Disney. Me and my family have stayed here for the last two years and have booked for 2013. We stay in the two bed villa which ia basically an apartment but by Disney standards is very spacious.
It is basic compared to certain hotels but overall very good. I certainally recommend it with the Disney Dining Plan, it is fantastic value.

Room Tip: Before you book check the map to see where the pools are and try to stay as close to a pool as possi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My parents bought into OKW in the 90s, when Disney was giving us free passes every year for coming down. It was awesome!
We always stay off Old Turtle Pond Rd., easy access to the bus stop but way in the back so it's quiet. There's a pool back there too!
The rooms are big, we usually get a two bedroom, which is a one bedroom plus studio. Huge kitchen with dining area, living room and balcony or desk overlooking the golf course or woodsy area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My parents stayed here from 12/12 through 12/19 in a studio. We stayed with them the last night on 12/18 to make getting both couples to the airport easier. (We spent 6 nights at Kidani during our trip as well.) The resort is big and spread out. My parents had a 1st floor studio on Old Turtle Pond Rd, which was plenty room for them and even all four adults the last night. There was a cute and quiet balcony we all used during the trip. Their room was close to a bus stop, but not too close. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. The resort was pretty quiet. We did take a few boats rides over to Downtown Disney, which is very convenient. At check-in and check-out, the resort utilizes golf carts, so you do not have to cart your luggage or do the long walk to your room. This was my parents' second stay in two years. We may book a couple days here next year before moving back over to our home resort (Kidani) just to mix it up a bit.

Room Tip: These are the only resorts I am aware of that there are two queen sized beds in a studio. Great way...
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have been visiting Old Key West for more than 15 years. We are Vacation Club members and this is our home resort. We have had a lot of fun here over the years but this last visit wasn't all that great. We stayed for a week in one of the 1 bedroom units. Upon check in we noticed that there appeared to be some large stains on the bathroom floor. The stains appeared to be blood. We called housekeeping and asked for some bleach which they brought us. Also, the bathroom sink was TOTALLY clogged to the point it was unusable. We called maintenance to see what they could do. They said they would take care of it. They never showed up. We all ended up having to share the other sink for the entire week. Another problem. Not enough towels. We had 4 towels for 5 people. I called housekeeping and was asked "How can you need towels already, you've only been in your room for one day?' I explained that we had 5 people sharing 4 towels. That didn't really seem to make much of an impact as I was told I would have to pay a $6 fee if I wanted more towels. Whatever. Just bring me the towels.
We also visited the on-site restaurant, Olivia's. We had our parents come up for a visit and we all had Christmas dinner together. The service was horrible. We had to eat most of our meal without anything to drink. The waitress disappeared and the manager ended up having to come over and help take care of us. To be fair, a large party did come in just after us. But still not an excuse. The food was marginal at best. I should have learned my lesson from the last time I ate there. I got food poisoning from the chicken and was the sickest I have been in my entire life. Nothing worse than flying home and having to visit the bathroom in a panic every half hour.
I just didn't get that usual warm and fuzzy feeling like I usually get at Old Key West. Everything just seemed a little off. There was even a day I went down to the pool and it was closed. Instead of the usual "be our guest", I felt like they were saying "be our pest." I think next time I will be staying at The Wilderness Lodge which is one of my favorite Disney resorts.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at Disney's Old Key West resort during September 2012 and we absolutely loved it. We decided to do a split stay between Boardwalk and Old Key West and I have to say I actually preferred Old Key West. It had a real Caribbean feel to it and it felt more homely. We were in building 19 which was right near one of the pools so it was great for the kids. I felt the bus line was also better as there were no stops between OKW and the parks. Our room was a three bedroom villa and it was amazing. There was so much room for the 5 of us and the layout was perfect. I would love to stay there again but I really want to try the other DVC resorts. Maybe when I win the lotto :(

• Stayed September 2012
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Just stayed at this resort over Christmas using the Disney transport to and from the airport and to and from the parks. Now if you are looking for a lively full on Disney resort this is NOT for you and you will be disappointed, it's a quiet retreat to come back to after a busy time at the parks and to me this was heaven! I had a 1 bedroom villa which was very spacious with a full size kitchen area and balcony. I had to wait no longer than 20 minutes for a bus to the parks sometimes I only waited 5 minutes and they were never crowded unlike a lot of the other buses leaving the parks to all the other resorts. Downtown Disney was closest to the resort and there is an amazing 20 minute walk along the river which no one seems to use if you don't fancy taking the bus or ferry boat. All the parks are between 10-15 minutes ride once on the bus.

Room Tip: Avoid the following villas as they back onto the main highway 19-22 38-39 41-42 and 49-51.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Disney's Old Key West Resort? Share your experiences!