“amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Old Key West Resort

Save Saved
You added Disney's Old Key West Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Old Key West Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1510 North Cove Road, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830-1000   |
Ranked #73 of 327 hotels in Orlando
Penrith, United Kingdom
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

this is our fourth year visiting old key west in october and our eighth to disney world we would not stay anywhere else it is brilliant weve had a two bed and a one bed both huge and spotless, staff are over accomodating and anything u need is met almost immediatly.

1,402 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Old Key West is very laic back for being a Deluxe resort. There are 4 pools to choose from. They have a small quick service restaurant at at least 2 of the pools. Otherwise dining is sit down table service at Olivia. They have a pier with boat and small water craft available, they also have family size bikes available for rent. I was very impressed with the room size, they weren't lying when they said these are the largest square footage of all the resorts. Our room was on the 6 th hole of the golf course which was pretty cool. The only downfall is the resort is very large so you may have to catch a bus to get to the main pool/ shopping area if your in one of the further sections. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed November 2012
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was my first time at Old Key West, and we were only here for one night before moving to Saratoga Springs. As a result, we did not have the opportunity to check out all of the features of the resort. However, our experience was a mixed bag of good and bad.

On the positive side, the resort is beautiful. It would be very easy to forget that you are staying on Disney property. The rooms are spacious, with the largest square footage in each room class of any Disney resort. We stayed in a studio, and it provided plenty of space for the 3 adults and 2 kids (3 and 16 months) in our party.

We had two issues. The first is that compared to other Disney resorts, the bus system is slow. This is because the resort is set up more along the lines of a hub-and-spoke system rather than a loop. As a result, the buses spend a long time driving around the resort between stops. Add the comparatively long time you spend on the bus within the resort to the long rides to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, and it just felt like the bus rides took forever, even compared to Saratoga Springs, which is adjacent. I'm afraid that the bus rides would have become maddening to me if we had spent our entire stay here. The second issue we had was that we had some significant issues with bell services. We used Disney's Magical Express from the airport to the resort, and we used their luggage service to deliver our checked luggage. They say that you will have your luggage within 3 hours after check-in. In all of the times we've used the service, we have never had to wait that long, and on one occasion our bags actually beat us to our room. This time, it took 5 hours for our bags to show up. We had to make 3 calls to bell services (all after the 3-hour window) before someone finally brought our bags. We kept being told "they're on their way to your room and should be there any minute," which obviously wasn't true. We lost of couple of hours of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party because Old Key West's bell services couldn't meet Disney's standards for delivering our bags. It was very frustrating.

There are some great things about Old Key West, but there are some downsides as well. I have the feeling that we will stay elsewhere on our next trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was my first time at Disney's Old Key West. I had requested a studio next to Hospitality House and we were right in front of it; quite awesome for free refills on refillable mugs.

I rented a car, which also made the trip quite acceptable. I would not have been happy if it was the bus; we used it once to go to Magic Kingdom and coming back was a disaster; it stops at 5 stops before the last which is hospitality house. It is very spread out, so if you are using Disney transport vs. renting a car, it might not be the best resort.

The room was perfect for 2 friends (we were celebrating my friend's 40th birthday and it was her first time at WDW; I go every year). More spacious than a regular hotel room, updated with great colors. I found OKW to be quite relaxing. In fact, I went to Key West 3 years ago and this resort looks like the real thing! If you go to Key West in the lighthouse and look down, it will look and feel just like this resort!

The staff was very helpful. I only got smiles and willingness to help. Because Our room was on the second floor, we were helped by bell staff to bring up our luggage (there is no elevator).

I would return to OKW in a heartbeat. And to the people that think it's far from the theme parks: it's less than 5 minutes by car to EPCOT or Hollywood Studios and less than 7 minutes to Magic Kingdom! Maybe 8 minutes to AK? So really fast! And parking to the theme parks is FREE if you stay at a Disney resort vs. 15 dollars a day. Downtown Disney is reachable via an amazing boat ride, I strongly encourage to use this service.

On my last day, Magical Express picked me up at 5:50 pm. Yet the room had to be empty by 11 am. No worries there: I just left all my belongings to Bell services, enjoyed HS and EPCOT and then came back to get luggage and Magical Express. It was a breeze.

I also never felt unsafe, which is not always the case when leaving the gates for a Kissimmee destination like Walmart...

This place checked all the boxes for this last vacation. I would recommend in a heartbeat, with just a recommendation to rent a car if you don't want to wait for buses to send you left and right within the resort or to your theme park destination.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Thank the good lord that my parents bought DVC membership when this place opened over 20 years ago. I've been luck enough to come here quite a few times now and have just returned from a family vacation with nine of us to celebrate my mum and dad's 50th. It was a perfect holiday.

OKW is a huge resort but we always ask for a room in blocks 17, 18 or 19. These are less than five minutes walk to the main pool and hospitality house or just around the corner from its own quiet pool. This - to us - is perfect and the best of both worlds. Plus, the bus stop is the second last on the route around the property so you don't waste too much time picking other people up. I've seen in one guidebook to avoid this area because of the noise from the main road on the other side of the bushes; I can honestly say we never ever heard any road noise at all.

The rooms are large and very well appointed. We had a fridge well stocked with our own fruit juice and wine and beer. Many evenings were started sat out on the balcony having a short drink before we went out for the night.

One definite advantage to this place is the sports and activities you can do; basketball, volleyball, tennis, shuffleboard and regular pool parties to keep the kids happy.

I can't wait to go back!

PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Dates of travel: November 3-10, 2012.
Room number: 3214.

I'm a travel agent located in Pennsylvania who recently traveled to Disney World. With 9 people in our party, our obvious choice was a 2 bedroom villa. We decided on Old Key West for a number of reasons - some of the largest rooms on Disney property, quiet and my husband's family used to own Disney Vacation Club and their home resort was OKW.

We arrived on Saturday around 12pm and it was busy at check-in. We were taken care of in a few minutes, though, but told our room was not ready. I had a few requests on my reservation, namely a room on the first floor, close to a bus stop and a dedicated 2 bedroom unit. When our room was finally ready, we were happy to see all of our requests were taken care of!

The 2 bedroom villa is HUGE with plenty of room to spread out. The dedicated 2 bedroom villa simply means the second bedroom with 2 queen beds has a sink outside of the bathroom instead of a kitchenette. Again, with 9 people we decided it was better to have more sink/mirror space to get ready in the mornings. The master bathroom was probably the largest bathroom I've ever seen in a hotel. We loved it!

It was very convenient having the full kitchen as well. We ate breakfast in the villa and even cooked a few dinners. It definitely cut down our overall cost of food. It was stocked with all of the plates, cups, flatware, etc. Another great benefit is the washer/dryer!

Thankfully we were a few steps away from the bus stop. I've heard some complaints that it can be loud next to a bus stop, but we did not have this problem at all. In fact we didn't hear anything while in our villa. It was like we weren't even on Disney property at all, it's that quiet!

The ONLY problem I had (and I couldn't drop the hotel in rating because of it because it's a Disney-thing, not a hotel-thing) Is the bus service. We really didn't have to wait more than 5-10 minutes for a bus, but it's a looong way from the hotel to the theme parks. This has been a common issue with almost every hotel that's either not on the monorail loop or behind Epcot.

We are planning a trip next year for the same week but are looking to possibly try out another DVC property. But if all else fails, I (and the rest of my family!) would return to OKW in a heat beat. Don't hesitate to book this property!

Room Tip: Make sure to request your room preferences ahead of time. We requested a room on the bottom floor...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We chose to stay here for a week long extended family vacation in October 2012. Our party consisted of one family with 2 small children (4 and 5 yrs), one set of grandparents, and one couple without kids. These condo-style units were LARGE, and very nicely furnished. We were very comfortable, and could do laundry in the in-room washer and dryer (they even brought detergent with daily room cleaning). I was worried when I booked because the photos on Disney's website make the rooms look a big outdated, but that was not the case at all. This is a huge resort, but it has a nice quiet ambiance with plenty of fun things to do with the kids 'at home'.

Room Tip: worth it to get a room with a washer and dryer (2 bedroom +)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Old Key West Resort? Share your experiences!