“Extremely disappointing experience at what WAS a great hotel in Orlando” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Orlando

Offers & Announcements
RATES FROM $199*!
Ranked #21 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Extremely disappointing experience at what WAS a great hotel in Orlando”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Let me start by saying that I've stayed at the Waldorf on 3 other occasions and have had nothing but positive experiences. I considered it my "home away from home" in Orlando. Since I've stayed at this property before, I'm completely aware what the typical room configuration is supposed to be for the type of room I booked. I booked a suite with a balcony looking over the golf course as I enjoy relaxing on the balcony after a long day at one of the local amusement parks. When I made my booking (3+ months in advance), I specifically requested that the room be located on a mid-level floor overlooking the golf course. I understand that this is a request and not a guarantee. Unfortunately, the problems started immediately upon check-in. After checking in we went up to our room only to find that the key card was not working so one of us had to go back down to the front desk to have them activate it.

Once inside the room, the bathroom configuration/layout was not the same as the previous rooms I've stayed in for the same price… A nice soaking tub and a very large glass walk-in shower is the norm. The room I was assigned had only a tub/shower combination and no separate shower. Additionally, the room location was not overlooking the golf course as requested. I had been attending a conference earlier in the week at a low-level Disney property so I was really looking forward to arriving at the Waldorf. To my disappointment, the Waldorf bathroom was configured with little to no more amenities than the Disney property that I had just left... at least not enough to warrant paying double the price. I went down to the front desk and requested to be moved to another room. They were unfortunately fully booked and could not accommodate moving me until the next day. I agreed and was instructed that I would need to pack up my things in the morning and bring them to the bell desk before I left for a day at the parks. They would then check me into the new room when I came back the next evening. After expressing some frustration at the inconvenience, I was given 4 drink vouchers and after pushing further, was given a $100 resort credit. At that point, I was in agreement with the plan and felt sufficiently compensated.

After being in the room for about 20 minutes and thinking about leaving all of my belongings, including my work laptop, iPad, Kindle plus other valuables at the bell desk for the day, I decided it wasn't worth the trouble nor the risk so I called the front desk and left a very specific message for the front desk manager I had been working with (Marichel... sic?) and advised that I would not be moving and that I would take up my issues with Corporate after my stay if necessary. The next morning we left around 8:30am and arrived back at the hotel after 8:00pm. We entered our room, using the same keys we had at been issued at check-in, only to find another guest checked into our room! Our unpacked belongings had been gathered by a bellman and haphazardly put on a bell cart... EXCEPT the contents of the safe that included thousands of dollars’ worth of laptops, iPads AND a diamond necklace valued at almost $20K. The gentleman was very gracious, despite us walking in on him in his supposedly private and secure room, and let us gather the items from the safe as well as a few other items that the bellman had not taken (clothing in the dresser, etc.). We then went down and asked to speak to the hotel manager about the issues... primarily the many breaches of security. Marichel advised that the hotel manager was in a meeting and unable to assist us so we reiterated the sequence of events and our concerns. Most importantly the security issues... 1) that another guest had been checked into a room that still contained our valuables and 2) that the key card had not been deactivated and we were able to enter the room of another guest. Marichel advised that she would investigate the incident and offered us 1 complimentary night of the 4 nights we had reserved. In my opinion this was insufficient compensation for the many challenges we had experienced thus far during our stay. My expectations were more around 2 complimentary nights which would equate to half of our stay... I thought that was fair. The rest of our stay was thankfully uneventful but we never heard from Marichel or anyone else at the hotel to explain what their investigation uncovered from the incident.

Before I checked out, I expressed to the front desk that their communication was severely lacking and should be looked into. Additionally, their overall customer service was extremely disappointing for a luxury hotel chain and the quality of the room was also disappointing... one phone wasn't connected to anything so it obviously didn't work, the tub handle fell off, the toilet wouldn't flush, etc. Upon arriving home, I contacted Hilton Worldwide to register my complaint. After waiting for 2 weeks for a response, I received an email simply stating that they had given me 1 complimentary and basically that was that. Very disappointing indeed! To say the least, I'll be staying elsewhere for my next trip to Orlando.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
Woodridge, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Finally catching up on a review from a stay in July 2014. I want to start out by saying that we'll be staying here again this July for our 25th wedding anniversary. The WAO was simply outstanding in every regard. My family of four, including two teenage boys, stayed in one of the deluxe suites and it felt like a second home, actually better in some regards. The price is above average but the service and amenities more than make up for it. From the complimentary shuttle service to Disney to the Peacock Alley lounge, there's nothing short of excellent.

Feel comfortable in your decision to stay here, treat yourself and enjoy a wonderful vacation property!

Room Tip: Higher floors, the better, obviously. A view of the pool is great but because of the hotel's loc...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bradenton, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel is easily in the top 5 I have ever stayed at. Attention to detail is very visable, and service was exemplary from every staff member we encountered. Rooms are nicely appointed, and look as if brand new. Elevators super fast! Nice pool area with attendants there to bring you a nice cover for your chair with pool towels as well, no need to go searching about yourself. Lobby bar a very nice place to hang out. Convenient to Downtown Disney, but not right in the middle of the traffic. Very nice, would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Waldorf over the Easter period. We have stayed at the Waldorf on a number of times unfortunately on this visit the normal levels of service and quality were missing. A large percentage of the hotel had been booked by a religious family group which put strain on the normal levels of service.

As an example one of the nicest pool areas in Florida (Hilton always have on their marketing material) had been converted into a tented village by the erection of various temporary cabanas and all the grass areas used. We were offered some temporary deckchairs when we visited the pool. The pool staff had completely lost interest and just told us it was really busy and there was nothing they could do. All the cabanas were booked out to this one group for the 10 days of their visit plus all the temporary cabanas. The service around the pool was non existent .

All of this was completely different to our previous stays at this Hotel where the pool was a delight and the service excellent.

The main reason was just the volume of people around the hotel. Because of the dietary requirements of this large group all meals were taken in the hotel so there was always pressure on the pool ETC. The hotel should consider the affect on other guests when having such a large group who will rarely leave the hotel and grounds. It was not the individuals they were fine but the lengths the hotel had gone to accommodate them which definitely affected the quality of our stay.

We travelled with 3 older teens who love staying here. They didn't recognise the hotel this time.

The Peacock bar was an Oasis of Service and was always great for an after dinner drink.

We did play Golf and the course is in great condition .

Overall a big disappointment as we always look forward to our stay here. We got the impression that the hotel were more concerned in making a bigger profit than maintaining standards at Waldorf levels. i think it is fine as long as guests are told when booking that there will be some disruption in the hotel during this period.

We had also requested interconnecting rooms (booking was 6 months in advance) which is normally never a problem. This time we were 3 floors apart and there wasn't even an apology.

A real shame . We will probably try the Ritz Carlton next Easter.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Laurel Springs, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Stayed here for a conference with my husband. The hotel was very nice, the staff was helpful and knowledgable. The grounds were very well kept. We only ate at the club house and the pool. The food was good but pricey. The pool area was very nice and arranged so that if you didn't want to be in the mayhem of the kids in the pool, you could hide. Overall it was very nice, almost Ritz-like.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Very fine business venue, but wouldn't be first choice for a private trip. At the rate we were given as part of a conference, we were very satisfied. If we had to pay the usual price, we would have to say that although the place is beautiful and the staff excellent, the price is more than it should be for the kind of facility. This is probably part of the Disney factor, but we weren't using the Disney property.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Jundiai, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The hotel is not part of Disney complex but it is close to all Disney attractions, the grounds are glamorous and sophisticated, the staff is attentive and helpful, it is no cheap for sure but it worth every single penny you pay for that, the breakfast is high end, the pool is huge and furnished with all amenities you need including fluffy and immaculate white towels, the pool bar is great and every day after the parks we pass by to a fast lunch or dinner, the rooms are of regular size for an American hotel but it is also of very good taste and quality, myself and my kids stayed there for one week and we really didn't miss home, the best part is to be greeted by your own name every time you came back tired from the parks, it made us feel at home there. Thanks you all for that great stay.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Karima L, Front Office Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear lontramil,

Thank you for the incredible five-star review of your stay! We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us, and experienced, what we call "True Waldorf Service"! We cannot wait to have you return again soon!

Been to Waldorf Astoria Orlando? Share your experiences!