“Surpassed our expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Surpassed our expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We usually stay at the Shades of Green hotel but they were sold out for Veterans Day weekend. We booked the Waldorf because of its proximity to the Disney theme parks. Bull & Bear is amazing (great food and great service) and the rooms are very nice. We will stay at the Waldorf every time we go to Disney!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason S, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Jessica R.,

Thank you for your kind review and we are pleased our resort has met your expectations! More importantly, you are now becoming a loyal HHonors member! Please if you have not already joined our loyalty program, visit http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/join.do to earn Hilton HHonors Points and Airline Miles.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned (one week ago) from a week-long stay at the Waldorf. This is our second visit in less than two years. The location can't be any better. Though it's technically not on Disney property, it really is. Of course, because it's not owned by Disney, you don't have access to Disney transportation or any of the other perks of staying "on property." We don't mind as we always rent a car. Speaking of that, there is only valet parking at the Waldorf, and it is $24/night. A new feature, which we really loved, is that you can now send a text to retrieve your vehicle. It worked like a charm. Be aware that there is also an additional $25 resort fee that is tacked on to your bill for every night of your visit. So when looking at room rates, don't forget to factor that in. After checking in, we were personally escorted to the elevator (we handled our own bags-so it had nothing to do with that). This did not happen on our last visit, so I'm assuming it's a new thing. It was certainly a nice touch. Our room was a standard two queen bed set-up. Very nice and it more than met our requirements. The staff was extremely responsive to our every need. It seemed as if service was stepped up a notch from our last visit. Really great. One thing that we thought was pleasant, and humorous, was that one day (and only one day) the housekeeping staff must have noticed that we always took the mountains of pillows off our bed and piled them on a chair. One night, at turndown, the staff took all the extra pillows off our bed and put them on the chair exactly like we had been doing. Ha ha, attention to detail! My only complaint is that the wifi was absolutely horrible! Sometimes, it would kick me offline 3 or more times in the space of a minute. One night, I even gave up trying to get online because it kept kicking me off. Very frustrating. They were in the midst of upgrading the wifi, so hopefully that will fix the problem. If I could knock a quarter star off my review for that, I would. It was that bothersome to me. That aside, we loved our time at the Waldorf, and we would never stay anywhere else for a Disney/Universal visit. We stayed on Disney property at a premier hotel back in 2004. Can't speak for that hotel now, but the Waldorf is hands down a much better hotel than the Disney one was back in '04. It is also less expensive (!) - I compared rates a few months ago. Highly recommend a stay at the Waldorf.

• Stayed November 2013
Jason S, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Dear NewEnglander742,

The most rewarding experience our team members appreciate is hearing, is the our service level is getting better and better as the years progress! As we sincerely apologize in regards to our WIFI connection, you are correct this is being updated to match our guests requests. We hope to see you again for a third visit!
Southend-on-Sea, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in November 2013 and I was about to write this excellent review when I saw an absolutely awful review written by someone else. All that I can say is don't let this put you off because they are surely either being very unfair or they must have stayed in a different hotel because we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and thought that for the price we paid it was unbelievable value.

Both the standard of the building itself and the facilities are first class. Everything is modern clean luxurious and spacious and we found all of the hotel staff to be friendly helpful and efficient. Without exception we found them all very keen to go out of their way to assist and it seemed to us that they were all well trained and happy to be working there - which makes a massive difference.
The breakfast buffet was superb with a huge selection and the huge king bed suite that we were given as an upgrade was extremely comfortable
We would not hesitate to stay here again if and when we return to Orlando and we have been fortunate enough to stay in some of the very best hotels in the world including the Gritti Palace in Venice and the Four Seasons in Miami in the last month alone !

Dear EssexBoy,

From the bottom of our hearts, each and every Waldorf Astoria Team Member thanks you for your kind words and five star review. Being a loyal Tripadvisor contributor we understand you have experienced hundreds of different hotels across the globe. Our team members wish you the best and hopes to see you soon!
Ottawa, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at the Waldorf. The bar and pool services were excellent. The rooms and bathrooms were very good to excellent. TIP: Please reserve the time for the maid services. We did not eat on the premises. $$$$ We ventured to the Hilton next door and out in Orlando. The food quality suffered but did not feel like paying double the price for food and wine. Best value for the stay compared to the Hilton next door but with full access to all its amenities:(restaurant/shops/lazy river/pool) This resort has it all, the zen atmosphere of the Waldorf and the bustling scene at the Hilton. Can't wait for next time!

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Saturn_246,

Our hotel professionals are thankful for you kind words of the Waldorf Astoria and Hilton Bonnet Creek. We believe the wide varieties of amenities to be offered, is the best for all our guests. See you soon Saturn_246!
West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel before. The facilities are very nice and the rooms are large and comfortable. The Waldorf Astoria has some of the most comfortable beds we have stayed in. The staff is very friendly and for the most part go out of their way to assist you.

We did have an issue with a second room we booked during our stay and the front desk seemed totally disinterested in resolving our issue. It took way to much of my time to resolve the problem.

We visit the Orlando area every year this time of year and will stay in the hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear John379,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Tripadvisor review of our resort. As we thank you for your positive comments in regards to our team members, we also would like to express our gratitude to your feedback provided about the delay resolving the challenge with your second reservation. Please feel free to contact our management team if your travels should bring you back to our wonderful city. Our dedicated team members would like the opportunity to turn your four star review into a five star experience.

Warm regards,

Jason Smith
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

The Waldorf Astoria is known as a 4 star hotel, but after my experience I would rate it as a 1 star hotel with terrible service and an incompetent staff. I will never stay there again and I don't recommend this particular location to anyone who is looking for first class experience. No one in my circle will stay at this hotel after hearing of my experience because they know that I'm a world traveler and I only accept the best of the best. When I'm away from home, I need to feel content and would never stay at a hotel that makes me uncomfortable.

We decided to book 4 nights for our Disney World & Universal trip, but after housekeeping and engineering entered our room without our permission and tampered with our luggage we asked for a refund and left. The staff is simply incompetent.

First Day:

1- The hotel uses Salvatore Ferragamo toiletries which is not to my liking because of the strong scent so I asked the front desk if they could get Peter Thomas Roth toiletries from the Hilton Bonnet Creek, which is next door and considered to be their sister hotel. He said that he would get a hotel runner to take care of it. Guests staying at the Waldorf can use amenities, such as the lazy river pool and etc. at the Hilton. The request should not have been treated as a big deal and I don't understand why the front desk could not comprehend such a simple request. It's not rocket science....it's toiletries! I never received the toiletries I asked for even after calling concierge twice about this issue. They said that they would get back to me, but I never heard from them and never received my toiletries.

2. The hotel ONLY offers complimentary transportation to and from Disney's theme parks so we asked them to book a town car to take us to Universal Studios. They booked a car for us with Mears Transportation. We provided a specific time, but because there was a delay with our flight we called them several times advising that we were going to be late. Concierge said that it wouldn't be an issue because the driver will track the flight and know when to pick us up. Did they do this? No. How do I know? Well, the driver told us that she waited for over an hour for us and Waldorf never told her about the flight delay. We called concierge and they apologized and took care of the fee.

Second Day:

Apparently, something was wrong with their Internet so they passed out a letter informing guests that engineering would be entering rooms to fix whatever issue they had. They also said that if guests did not want engineering entering their rooms, they should hang the "privacy please" sign on the door. Not only did we follow their written instructions, we called concierge twice asking them to let housekeeping or engineering know that we don't want them to enter our room.

Well, did they listen? No. How did we know? I noticed that the bathroom trashcan was moved and someone tampered with my luggage. I have a 3-digit dial lock which was tampered with because the numbers were different from what was set and I could tell that someone rummaged through my luggage. Not only do I think the staff at this hotel is incompetent but they are idiotic. If you are going to go in my room without my permission, then be smart and leave everything as is. If you are going to look through my luggage, then make sure to clean up your tracks. I called security and spoke with Aaron who advised that he could find out who entered our room by interrogating the lock. In other words, the electronic lock systems which are installed in major hotel chains allow security to pull up a record of the keycard used to enter the room in addition to the date and time of entry. After we spoke on the phone, he came to our room to check the lock then he called us with an update. He confirmed that engineering and housekeeping entered the room. They had to reason to be in my room and tampered with my luggage.

I was very upset after hearing the news because this is supposed to be a reputable hotel and not only did we ask concierge to let housekeeping and engineering know that we didn't need their service; we put the "privacy please" sign on our door. Nothing was stolen as I would never pack anything of value when attending amusement parks; however, it's about the principle.

I wanted to speak to the General Manager, but they put Jeff, the Director of Guest Services, on the phone to apologize because that's the only thing they know how to do at this hotel. I told him what happened and he apologized and said that he would look further into the situation and speak to his staff. I would think that Jeff, as a Director, would have enough experience in the hospitality industry to actually understand the essence of hospitality and great customer service, but I was wrong. He offered nothing except apologies which really bothered me because being a world traveler; I know what good customer service is. Not only should he have apologized but asked me if I needed anything to make me feel more comfortable such as a room upgrade and etc. I don't care about a room upgrade because I was never in my room. I'm out all day visiting amusement parks so I don't need a bigger room BUT it was about principle and appropriate customer service! His people messed up so he should have tried to alleviate the situation. We had another conversation in which I told him that the hotel should not charge me for my visit and he said that he could only offer one free night. I told him that I did not think that was fair because I don't feel comfortable here and they needed to fix the situation. He basically told me in a politically correct way that I could leave and stay at another hotel so I told him that if he wanted me to leave then the hotel needs to find another luxury hotel for me and pay for it. How rude of Jeff! My entire day was ruined because I spent all morning and a good portion of my afternoon on the phone dealing with this situation. I don't think Jeff understood what an inconvenience it was to look for a new hotel, make a reservation, pack and leave. It takes time and it is a great hassle. How dare he made that suggestion.....it was not his place. He made us feel like he was insinuating that if we didn't like it at the Waldorf then get the hell out and he didn't care that there was a security breach.

Talking to Jeff was a waste of time so I asked to speak to his superior. He transferred the call to his boss, Jorgi (did not get the correct spelling). In a nutshell, she wanted security to handle this situation because my request was for them to compensate me by paying for the entire 4 nights. Security would have to submit a report to their insurance company. At one point, I asked her if I could switch to another room because I didn't know why engineering and housekeeping entered my room. What if there was a hidden camera! She pointed out that if there was a hidden camera in one room then there could also be one in another room, but she could accommodate me. Yes Jorgi, I understand that there could be hidden cameras everywhere....even in your office, but what a fatuous comment to make when dealing with an unhappy customer. Come on, think! A smarter way of handling it would be if she assured me that there would not be any cameras.

I became very distressed after speaking to the nescient staff and could not understand why they would not put the GM on the phone. The excuse was he was in meetings all day. Keep in mind that it was low season, on a Sunday and the location is Orlando. The last follow up call I made was to security and I told them that they need to provide some sort of update because everyone is giving me the runaround. Within about 30 minutes, I finally received a call from the GM, John. Out of all the conversations I had, this one was the most productive because we came up with a solution. I offered to pay for the 1st night + the daily resort charge of $25 if they would issue a refund for the 3 nights, pay for my transportation fee and not charge me the daily resort. He agreed and paid for my ride to the Ritz Carlton. At one point, he mentioned that they were not in the business of paying for my next hotel which really confused me and made me realize that there was a miscommunication. The messages that were being relayed from person to person were lost in translation, which is the prime reason as to why I asked to speak to the GM in the first place. I explained to him that Jeff said that I could stay somewhere else so I said that if he wanted me out then he needed to pay for it....that's all. John did say that he was in meetings and he hired these people to take care of problems. I think John needs to re-evaluate his staff because they are a reflection of him. Do I think that they will get reprimanded? Probably not because even though it's a luxury hotel the staff is incompetent. you can't compare luxury hotels in Orlando to ones in a metropolis such as Los Angeles, New York City, Paris and etc.

I'm a very busy person and really don't have time to go online to write reviews, but I think that what happened was simply wrong and unacceptable. Even after I spoke with Hilton Corporate, there was no resolution. They are interested in protecting themselves even when it is wrong and I think people should know what they are getting themselves into.

When I checked out of the hotel, I had to wait about 15 minutes for a copy of my official report. I wrote an official report, notating my complaints and what happened. Security told me that they would have a copy at the front desk so why did I have to waste more time waiting. This is another example of incompetency and poor communication and customer service on their end.

Lessons for the staff:

- Do not say you're going to have a copy at the front desk and make me wait for 15 minutes. It should have been there.

- Do not say you're going to get a runner to get Peter Roth Thomas toiletries for me and not deliver especially after I followed up.

- Do not tell me that you are going to let the driver know that I'm going to be late when you did not do so.

- Do not come into my room after I told you to tell housekeeping and engineering that I did not want them to enter my room.

- Do not be lazy. Try to understand the true essence of what the hospitality industry really entails. Just because you are in a suit does not mean you're exuding the quintessence of 1st class. I've seen clowns in suits......so what!

My suggestions to those who would like to find a nice hotel in Orlando when visiting the theme parks is to stay at a Disney resort. After doing a lot of research for our next trip, there are so many interesting perks from transportation, food, activities and etc. I'm not saying that if you stay at a Disney hotel or another other hotel, no one is going to enter your room and tamper with your stuff......perhaps they won't be incredibly imbecilic as to leave proof while doing so! And, I also noticed that after Aaron confirmed that there was a security breech I never heard from him again. I had to deal with several members of their security team when follow up on the case, but never him again. It's as if they did not want him to say anything else. Hopefully, he did not get in trouble for being honest!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear VHelsing2013,

Our Management Team's appreciates your detailed feedback and we apologize for the inconvenience. We have since followed up with each department, ensuring that you and future guests are taken care of. Guest comfort, health and safety is our top priority and your comments will certainly help us to make sure we're meeting our high expectations. If I can assist you further, certainly let me know.

Jason Smith
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

It seems to be an often repeated theme: people who have stayed at Disney try the Waldorf as an alternative and wind up loving it, and this was the case with us too. My wife and I stayed here for four pleasurable days and we can't wait to come back. Everything was 5 star from being greeted at the front desk (exceptional sevice) to the concierge to the waitstaff. Not only does the staff greet you with a smile, but they are always immediately there to assist you with your every need. I joked to my wife "the staff respond so quickly to us, it seems like they are genies coming out of a bottle!"

The place is beautiful and the lounge is a great place to socialize, eat and drink. It's laid out perfectly in an open area right off the main floor, and there is a outside veranda that abuts the lounge. There is piano music every night I was there from 7-9. Breakfast was included in our package and the buffet consisted of almost every item imaginable.We chose the package which included the $50 per night food and drink credit, which turned out to be a good buy. If there was one wish I had it would be that they had a coffee shop or a place to grab something on the run, but you can do that by going over to the Hilton, which is connected through an inside walkway from the Waldorf.

The room was standard but fine. Plenty of closet space with a beautiful high definition television. .Beds were soft and comfortable. Bathroom had separate tub/shower combination. Housekeeping was first class.

If you are going to the Disney Parks there is a free shuttle that runs on time. There is a sedan service which cost a little more than a cab that can take you to other places.

The pool was great. Mostly older people, plenty of towels and staff to wait on you.

All in all this was a most memorable experience. I have stayed at the Ritz in Boston, Plaza in New York, Hay Adams in D.C. and the Windsor in New Orleans and this hotel rates with those for quality and service. But the best thing being Orlando, the price for this hotel is much less expensive. LIke I said in the title of this review when it comes to the Waldorf "can't wait till next year."

Room Tip: Check out the sedan service if you want to go somewhere.