I would like to share my experiences at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Florida. The experience was very unpleasant and the hotel was not at all comfortable in any way. Below are only SOME reasons why the hotel was not enjoyable.
1. Thieves. During my stay here, my phone was lying around the hotel and I was under the false impression that the security was excellent in the hotel. I was wrong. The next day, my phone was stolen!
2. Lack of Toiletries. During the first night of my family’s stay, we had to request basic toiletries such as toothbrushes, shower gel, soap etc. With 5 people staying in two rooms, we were given ONLY 1 bottle of shower gel and shampoo each day between the two rooms in which we were staying. Also, the housekeeper did not even change the tissue box when it was empty. Finally, the cotton buds and cotton wipe packs were already opened before we even touched it, which signifies that the housekeeper probably never changed it.
3. Cleaning service is horrible. The bathrooms are cleaned badly. On the first night, we saw some hair on the ground of the bathroom. By the 5th night of our stay, it was still there on the ground. Also, the slippers look as if they should have been replaced a long time ago.
4. Loud clicking noise in the middle of the night due to the heater. During the 3rd night of our stay, the heater broke down and started making clicking noises. The next morning, we asked the front desk if they could help us fix it. When we arrived back in the hotel that night it was STILL broken. We complained and the manager suggested a room change! It was 10 pm at night with our baby asleep, and we had ONE HOUR to pack our things and to give another guest the room. That would mean that THEY would have to suffer the clicking noise and not get a good night’s sleep! How could the manager be THIS CRUEL to someone? We endured it for another night and complained again the next day. When the repairperson came, there were no staff that followed him, and WE were expected to answer his questions on why the heater was broken! This wasted my time and ruined our schedule for the day.
5. NO Complimentary water. All other hotels had at least 4 bottles of water per room provided free every day, but this hotel had nothing like that! This hotel sold bottled water for 4 American dollars, and the bottles were tiny to boot!
6. Lousy Management. Firstly, when we booked the hotel, we already asked for a baby cradle. When we checked in, the receptionist told us that they knew we needed a baby cradle. That night, no baby cradle was given, so we reported this to the front desk the next morning. That night, there was STILL no baby cradle. We asked for it again on the 3rd morning, and finally the baby cradle was given. Also, another sign of poor management was when the payment was settled on the last day. When we arrived back at home, we reviewed our “e-receipt” of our credit card, and found that they charged one night twice! This is unacceptable, and whether done intentionally or as a sign of poor management, this shows that the hotel staff were undertrained. Lastly, when we booked the hotel via the phone, we requested 2 CONNECTING suites, and they said that it was OK. When we arrived, they said that there were only 2 suites NEARBY, but not connecting. This meant that we got downgraded to a suite and a room.
As it is clearly shown, this hotel is an overpriced, lousy hotel that claims to be “5 stars.” They must be deluded to think that, as this was the worst hotel I have ever been to. I have been to many “5 stars” hotels including the Waldorf Astoria in Shanghai, and I cannot believe that this faction in Florida is this bad - so bad that it shouldn’t rank more than “3 stars!” I demand an explanation of why the hotel was this terrible.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
We are glad you chose our property during your stay in our area, and I apologize that you encountered unsatisfactory conditions in your guest room. We have addressed these concerns and instituted additional training with our housekeeping and engineering staffs to avoid these issues in the future and to ensure that our guests are surrounded by inspirational environments during their stays. Guest safety is another priority and I am anxious to hear your story about the stolen cell phone. Please contact me directly so that I can speak with you about it. We assure you that if you give us another opportunity, you will find the singular Waldorf luxury experience you deserve.
Report response as inappropriate
Jason P. Smith
Front Office Manager
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.