“Another Hilton experience” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Brooklyn, NY
“Another Hilton experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed here for a two day business trip. Meetings were held in the hotel as well. Staff were friendly and accommodating. Food in David's Grill was average. Room was spacious with two beds, a side chair and table and desk and chair. Bathroom was clean. Room well taken care of. As in my recent stay in another Hilton, a magnifying mirror in the bathroom would have been welcome.

• Stayed November 2012
The_Hilton_Orlando, Manager at Hilton Orlando, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear bklyred,
Thank you for your kind comments about your stay at the Hilton Orlando. We have shared your comments with the Housekeeping and David's staff. We look forward to welcoming you back real soon. Regards, the Hilton Orlando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (590)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Washington D.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Nice place, for sure. Huge of course. I was on business and even with the firm picking up the tab i had quite Some beef with the place:
- issues with it's cable provider prevented in-room TV - and it took a lot of my patience to get them to figure that out
- extremely expensive business center ($7 for 15 min of Internet access??? Plus charges for prints)
- Starbucks Is $1 per cup more expensive
- food in restaurants and room service not at any level reasonable

• Stayed November 2012
The_Hilton_Orlando, Manager at Hilton Orlando, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear TooFrequentTraveler,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your business travels. We always try to provide our guests with a valuable stay and we routinely factor cost into that. We will review your comments with our team to ensure our quality amenities are consistent with our prices. I'm also sorry to hear about the complex issues with the cable service. I will look into the situation and will take any necessary action to neutralize the problem. We hope you will reconsider staying with us on your next trip to the area. Happy Holidays! Regards, the Hilton Orlando.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Kudos to the valet parking team. They helped turn a potential bad experience into a great service recovery effort. My electronic key got misplace. They ( special shout out to Jayce ) helped me get the key replaced and provided my family taxi vouchers to get to our family gathering for Thanksgiving while the car was in the shop. The whole team demonstrated what a professional group they are. Thanks also to Ashley and Carla.

Dear Craigmccall,
thank you for your review of our hotel, especially our Valet Team. I have shared your comments with the entire Hilton team and in particular the Valet Team. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Regards, the Hilton Orlando
Savannah, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

When I checked in I thought I had a great deal: the hotel looked nice and really clean and shiny. But within a few hours of checking in the problems started.

One would expect that at a hotel of this caliber the least you could expect is a warm working shower, a bed with clean sheets, and a hassle-free experience. Not at the Hilton. You cannot have that.

Here is the long story:
1. I got to my room late as we just put our luggage in the room then went to the park. By the time I got back I was really looking forward to a nice shower and sleep. Not to be. The shower made a lot of noise but no water came out. I called and called and called the front desk, nobody answered. Finally I went downstairs. Was told that someone would be up. I didn't want to wait and asked to be changed to another room. I started getting this speech about how they had to downgrade me if I wanted to change rooms because they didn't have any more king rooms available. I didn't stay around to listen and went back upstairs.

2. A few minutes later I got a knock on the door with someone telling me that they had miraculously found a king room that I could change to. I quickly packed my bags. Unbeknownst to me I was charged $1.15 for the phonecall I made to the front desk. Is that gall or what? A charge for an in-hotel call????

3. When I got to the new room at 2:00 am at this point, the shower worked fine, but when I was about to slip into bed I noticed two large strains on the bottom sheet, about the length of my thumb. These are not stains that would go unnoticed. Someone put them on the bed knowing full well that they were dirty. I called downstairs (and yes, got charged for the call, unbeknownst to me) and requested new sheets, which I put on the bed myself. By the time I got to bed it was well past 3 am. That was the first strike.

4. In the hotle my phone charger wasn't working so I made two phonecalls of 5 minutes each to the people I was traveling with, and two phonecalls to my husband. The rate sheet said that a phonecall was $1.00 to connect and 10c for additional minutes after 60 minutes. To be fair it also said in very tiny, tiny, tiny print that an AT&T rate would apply after that. What it didn't say was that the charges for a 15 seconds phonecall was $7.00. A charge for a 20 minute call was $18. All together I was charged over one hundred dollars in phone calls. Note: there was no Internet at the hotel. Even the business center charged for an Internet fee.

5. The next day I was sick and I ordered in room service (and was charged for the call), and I was told that my room credit card wasn't working. When I went online to check why, I saw that Hilton had held over several hundreds dollars from my account as incidentals. I used another cc and figured when I'd check out the charges would go away. Not so. Three phonecalls later and an urgent email to the bank and the money is still being held over.

6. An additional charge of $135.00 appeared on my card from nowhere, after I checked out.

7. The breakfast was extremely expensive: $5 for a juice. $21 for an omelette. We chose the buffet for $22, they even charged our children, $11 each (!!!! In most places kids eat free!!!) and that would have been ok except the food was so mediocre I would have eaten better at a supermarket

The hotel site was nice, the pool really enjoyable, and the rooms sparkly on the outside (but check the sheets) but I would never come back here. If management had tried to make up for its multiple errors and faux pas, I would not have written a review at all, considering it's hard to rate highly a place that gave you so much angst, but if you're like me, you don't want to have angst on your holidays. You want to know that everything is taken care of and you can, at least, count on a warm shower and clean sheets at the end of the day. Not at the Hilton you can't.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
The_Hilton_Orlando, Manager at Hilton Orlando, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear WritingLaura,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Hilton Orlando. We are, however, very disappointed to hear of the challenges you endured while you were here. We take all comments and criticisms seriously and appreciate the time you took to provide your feedback. Everyone at the Hilton Orlando aspires to ensure that all of our guests receive an exceptional experience and regret that we did not achieve this goal. Your review has been shared with our Management Team so that we can improve in the key areas mentioned in your review so that we can continue to maintain the high level of service we are known to provide. Please note that we have sent you a personal note through Trip Advisor asking you to give us call. We hope that you will do so. Regards, the Hilton Orlando
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel the week before Thanksgiving as I was attending a conference in the convention center as well as showing clients around the area. From valet to check in the hotel was professional and very friendly. The bellman, Thomas was helpful with my luggage and delivery my things fast and efficient. The madame at check in, Abbey, was extremely helpful with not only writing down directions to several places around the area but she checked me into a room before the designated check in time. I also needed several items sent to my room for a conference meeting and within ten minutes she had personally sent up all that I was in need for plus extras that I did not think of.(Needed note pads but did not say pens/pencils as I received them regardless) I am not sure if she is a manager but her eagerness to help and professionalism was very well spotted. I also had the pleasure of dinning at Spencer which I would recommend to any reader. The steaks are out of this world! If you are looking to stay at a hotel that is close to the convention center as well as IDrive, this is the spot to book at. Over all I was very happy with my stay and already booked with Abbey to come back with my younger daughters and wife in January. I was also made aware of a Resort Charge that is a bundle of great offers throughout the hotel. At first I was turned off by reading the fee online but then it was described to me as I was booking our next stay and it sounded like a pretty reasonable deal. It would be nice if parking was included but understandable why it has to be separate from the bundle.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a parlor. Well worth the extra money if you are holding a meeting in your room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear StephenErelator,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Hilton Orlando! We were so please to read you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality. I have shared your comments with all department heads and in particular Thomas (bell stand), Abbey (Front Desk) and Spencer's Team to let them know that they played an important role in making your stay memorble and enjoyable. We are looking forward to seeing you on your return visit! Regards, the Hilton Orlando
Round Hill, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

After a bad experience with another hotel we chose the Hilton Orlando. Initially I was concerned about them being right across from the convention center and the hotel being "worn". After walking through the hotel those concerns were gone. This is a very nice place to stay! The staff on all levels was fantastic. I don't know what else to say, they were all polite, helpful and always smiling. The management of the Orlando Hilton should be very proud, they have a great team there.

Our room was clean and had everything we needed. The restaurants were very good. We ate at the Bistro for several meals including lunch after the debacle at the other hotel. Our waiter brought us chocolate covered strawberries on the house after hearing about our day. A very nice touch that he did not have to do.

Clean massive heated pool. Hot tub and lazy river. Kids had a lot of fun on the days we stayed at the hotel between amusement park trips.

The location of the hotel in relation to the parks in the area couldn't be more central. Great place to stay no matter what you are traveling for but if you are going to Disney, Sea World or Universal, you couldn't be closer to all three.

We will stay again.

Dear ChrisandKim9,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about our hotel. We love to receive accolades such as yours! We can't wait to see you again! Regards, the Hilton Orlando
Round Hill, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We checked into the Hilton after checking out of our Hyatt Cypress Creek reservation after just one hour.

We were a bit concerned because the property is adjacent to the convention center and sometimes those hotels show a lot of wear. Not here. The hotel is current and clean; well attended by staff. The heated pool and lazy river were important to match for our kids and the water fun here was great for them; the pool bar and wait service was great for us. The rate was pretty standard for what we were paying ($109 plus resort fee and parking) and the hotel was well placed for our trips to SeaWorld, Magic Kingdom and Universal. We ate at the Bistro and were surprised with chocolate covered strawberries after telling the waiter why we had just checked in - nice! The Marketplace was surprisingly well-priced, not exorbitant like so many hotel markets, even for snacks, beer and wine. We didn't get to hit the two firepits by the pool, but they were big and nicely placed. There is a wealth of restaurants for every taste and budget very close by on International Drive... from iHop to Fogo de Chao.

The only two shortcomings were the concierge staff and confusion over the internet/printing access for guests:

Internet access is included in the resort fee, but we never received the "login" promised via the website and had daily internet charges on our bill; sometimes more than one charge. Promptly removed, but it was still a hassle I don't usually have at other Hilton properties when I use my HHonors login.

When I asked the concierge team about printing my Seaworld tickets they directed me to the business center. The business center charges $6+ for 15 minutes of access and an additional fee to print per page. I returned to the concierge desk and was assured this was my only option. After paying so we could get on our way, I discovered that night in the services directory that up to 11 pages may be printed to the front desk via an online service offered. I did this to print our boarding passes from the room. Even the gentleman checking us out didn't seem familiar with the service and it took a long time for him to get and print our passes.

A bit odd for internet access and printing to be such a hassle these days. This would concern me more if a business trip.

All in all though, very pleased with our stay and would definitely recommend for a family trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
The_Hilton_Orlando, Manager at Hilton Orlando, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear ChrisandKimP,
Thank you for taking the time to post your extensive review of the Hilton Orlando. I was please to read that for the most part, you did enjoy the hotel and its amenities. I have shared your feedback with our leadership to act on and use as a training tool to ensure that your next visit with us will be a very positive one. Regards, the Hilton Orlando

Been to Hilton Orlando? Share your experiences!