WE LOVE RIVERSIDE!
The layout and beauty of this Resort is simply stunning. Yes it's big - but that's the point. It is like staying in a small town with winding paths, rivers, trees, gardens etc. It manages to feel cosy and intimate as the buildings are set amongst the trees and each area has it's own pool (Six pools inc. Old Man Island - good fun to try them all and find your favourite).
This was our fourth visit - first time without children and to be honest we came back more for POR than to visit the Parks. We have always stayed in Alligator Bayou before - which was fine -(although I think the Hickory bed frames are a theme too far) so requested a room in Magnolia Terrace this time. Lovely location, Oak Manor 2nd floor corner room overlooking river. The rooms are similar but furnishings seemed more luxurious and grown up. Beds were very comfy too.
A few things we've learnt that may be useful:
Buses - Coming back from Magic Kingdom after fireworks bus queue to Riverside was huge! Would have taken at least an hour in line to get on bus - checked out queue to French Quarter and hardly any wait so we took that bus. Driver was kind enough to drop us (and quite a few others - we all cheered and clapped him) off at Riverside but you can either catch the boat up to POR which goes every 10 minuites between 4p.m. and 11 p.m. or walk along the River path - not as long as we expected - takes about 10 minuites stroll to main building.
Meal Plan - We had the free meal plan and often used snack option for breakfast e.g. Bagel or Cinnamon Roll and had with a coffee in our room as we got ready for the day. We found the best place to eat counter service was Wolfgang Puck Express at Downtown Disney - thoroughly recommend it - good quality well prepared food. We did have the full service option but quite frankly we wouldn't bother again - lots of restuarants were disappointing - even Californian Grill and Brown Derby the food and service left much to be desired. I think if we went again we would pop into themed restaurants out of peak time and just have a starter or dessert and enjoy the atmosphere.
Boardwalk - If you are spending a day at Epcot and the crowds all get too much - take a break - catch the boat at the International Gateway between England and France and hop over to The Boardwalk for a stroll along the Prom and a cool glass of something outside Big River Grill and watch the world go by.
Swim/Jacuzzi - We found the best time to go was pre 10 a.m. we were the only ones there.
Suprisingly, a Disney moderate, family friendly hotel can be romantic
( : Hope you enjoy it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a place where simple pleasures flourish and Southern hospitality abounds. From the stately white-column mansions of Magnolia Bend to the quaint backwoods cottages of Alligator Bayou, delight in this picturesque Resort hotel that evokes the romance and tranquility of the rural Louisiana Bayou. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Port Orleans Riverside Resort
- Port Orleans Disney Resort
- Orlando Port Orleans Resort
- Riverside Disney
- Disney Port Orleans Riverside Resort
- Port Orleans Hotel Disney
- Port Orleans Resort Riverside
- Port Orleans Resort Disney
- Disney Port Orleans Hotel
- Disneys Port Orleans Resort Riverside