“I Loved It!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside

You added Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside to your Saves list
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1251 Riverside Dr, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830 (Formerly Dixie Landings)   |
Ranked #84 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Miami, Florida
“I Loved It!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Now that I've stayed here, I'm really surprised by the negative reviews.

Yes, this is a VERY large resort. VERY! LARGE! If you're out of shape and can't walk far, this is not the resort for you. Spend your money and stay at the Contemporary. However, I was not bothered by the distance or the walking. This is Walt Disney World. You're GOING to be walking a LOT, you're going to be standing in lines, and you're going to be waiting. It's just the reality of this place. If you prepare yourself for that, you won't be bothered by it when you get here.

Luckily for myself, I was placed in Building 15 which is conveniently located near the main lobby and dining hall. My friends were upgraded to a Royal Room and were in a different area, but it was not a far walk from the dining hall either. The grounds of the resort are absolutely beautiful and immaculately maintained, in true Disney fashion. A river runs through the middle, and there is daily ferry boat service to and from Downtown Disney. Check-in was quick and easy and the staff were very friendly.

My room was in Alligator Bayou and it was nicer than I thought and very clean. I'm not sure who it was who said the bathroom vanity area is only separated by a curtain, because mine was in the bathroom itself which of course was a separate room with a locking door. Perhaps the rooms are varied? I found the bed to be very comfortable, and since I was staying by myself in a room with a King Bed, I had plenty of room for storage for my luggage/clothes/etc., but I could see where it would be lacking if you were stuffing 4 people in one room. I loved the fact that my room had a ceiling fan! That was the highlight of my stay, haha.

My friends' Royal Room was beautiful and had such unique touches to it!! I would love to stay in one of those next time.

We ate in the Riverside Food Mill (otherwise known as the dining hall) for all of our breakfasts and one dinner. At dinner, they have a create-your-own-pasta station which is AWESOME!!! I had penne pasta with alfredo, loaded up with lots of veggies and chicken. It was huge and delicious! I highly recommend that. Breakfasts are typical Disney breakfasts. Yes, there were lines at the cashiers, but nothing unusual and again, very, VERY typical for Disney. Like I said above, this is WDW. Lines and waiting are STANDARD here. Prepare yourself for it. That being said, I never waited for more than just a few minutes at breakfast. We arrived at breakfast at around 7:30, as we wanted to get to rope-drop at the parks. It was crowded, but nothing terrible. We always managed to get a table.

The bus stops can get a bit annoying at this resort because there are a few of them. The main one is usually crowded so we opted for the East Depot which was not far from my friends' Royal Room. We got on the buses every time and always got a seat. We didn't have to stand for the entire time. The buses are crowded and they stop at multiple stops within the resort, so driving can be easier if this is something that bothers you. However, you'll deal with the Disney transportation "issues" at every resort, not just this one. It is what it is.

All in all I loved this resort and would stay here again. I didn't love it as much as I loved Animal Kingdom Lodge, but then again, that's the difference between the moderate resorts and the deluxe resorts. ;)

Room Tip: Try to get something close to the main lobby. Royal Rooms are more expensive but very pretty and clo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,212)
Chicago

POOL
Pool was great and warm for the beginning of March.
Pool bar was big and friendly with quick friendly service.
Games where fun and they are easy to pick up and to leave.
Slide was fun and safe
Didnt have a problem getting a chair
Towels were clean and plentiful

Royal Room
The fireworks on the bed board was lame after the 2nd time.
Room was big
If a toilet flushes your gonna hear it.
Clean
Beds were comfortable the pillows were not
Rooms are dark but the window has ton of natural light. The problem is that the walk way is right in front of the room.
It does take a little while to get your bearings. All the buildings in the same sections look a like.
Water pressure was fine in the sink and toilet but the shower head was leaking badly = loss of pressure.
Fridge in the room was handy.

Resort Grounds
Beautiful especially at sunrise and sunset. Really impressed with how nice it was.
Pay for the rooms close to the Lobby or you need to rent a car. This place really is huge. Normally I wouldn't mind walking through a beautiful place but after a couple of days dodging phsycotic individuals with scooters I was thankful for the short walk.
All the paths where in good shape, didnt have any issues with getting the stroller anywhere.

Buses
One of the nice things about being in a big resort is that we didnt wait for buses for very long.
They had a tv with the wait times which where fairly accurate.
The lobby is the first stop so My Wife and ChIld always had a seat.
Drivers where friendly and informative.
If you are leaving at odd times or going to another resort for a meal do yourself a favor and take a cab. It's 15 bucks and saves you an hour. Cabs are always standing by.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Lexington, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We loved POR so much last year that when we started planning our trip for 2014, POR was our must stay hotel. I just love the feel when you walk into the lobby! We arrived very early at check in, but POR was able to accommodate our early arrival & we were even given a free upgraded room! We stayed in Building 16 (very close to the main building) and loved it as much as when we stayed in Building 24 last year. We thought being closer to the main building we would hear & see more foot traffic, but that was not the case. We still were able to enjoy the quiet, peaceful setting of POR. I love the lush courtyards & pathways, the peacefulness and beautiful buildings & rooms. We were in Alligator Bayou again this year & love the decor in the rooms. The room size & room amenities were perfect for our family of three. I will say that our beds were a little more lumpy than they were last year, but other than that we had no issues with our room. It was great being closer to the main building so we could take advantage of the refillable mugs & larger pool. Our bus stop was just a short walk across the guest parking lot which is convenient with small kids. The cast members at POR have always been very nice, helpful & friendly. Although we didn't get to eat there this time, one of our favorite restaurants is located at POR-Boatwrights. Looking forward to our next trip & stay at POR!

Room Tip: The "Preferred Rooms" are great because they are closer to the main building & most of...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

The hotel was lovely and the staff very friendly; the hotel was clean and room welcoming.
The food was generally good but the dinning room was always busy and could be difficult. We had the grandchildren with us and there wasn't as much entertainment here as we have had in other hotels in Florida.
Was a bit annoyed by the money exchange staff as they could be a bit difficult and rude so was not so keen to use them and often went out to get money exchanged.
Would I go again no as the hotel just didn't quite meet our needs

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We are staying here for one week for a Disney vacation. When we arrived at 11:30 pm with lots of luggage we could not find a bellman or a luggage cart. The directions to our "lodge" were not great. We found the building and the room after a search that ended up 312 steps from the closest parking spot. We then realized that we were on the second floor and there was NO Elevator! The room had no closet and very little space for luggage. Would not recommend you stay here if you have more than 2 suitcases. The beds were comfortable and clean. The restaurant is a 5 minute walk away and the bus stop is one-quarter mile away. Would not stay here again unless i needed lots of exercise....

Room Tip: Ask for one next to the parking lot and close to a bus stop if you don't want very long walks.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Owen Sound
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Not trying to come across as negative because we had a wonderful time at Disney as we always do, but I'm not sure if we would come back to this resort.
First off check in was an easy process, staff were friendly and our customized magic bands were waiting with our names on them. That was cool. This time we were in buildoing 16 which was a lot closer than last time we stayed here, but this is a large resort, nothing is a close walk.
What upset me this time was the raw sewage outside of our room, the first day when we got up and left our room there was a terrible smell and sure enough in front of our room was open flowing sewage. The cleanouts are located here I'm guessing so one of the rooms had a backup. I was happy to see some maintenance men already working on solving the problem.
When we came back that night it was cleaned up. the day however again, was that same smell greeting us as we left our room, this time when we came back it was still not cleaned up.
Went down to the check in area and spoke to a lovely girl who apologized and entered data into her Ipad, no follow up again on this, which I asked for and it was still outside the next day ( that’s when I took the photo)
The quick service here is excellent and the staff are friendly although seem understaffed and a bit stressed. The new "chips" the drinking cups work okay, but we did have some issues with this. Magic bands rule, although one of my daughters was unable to scan even her own meals.
I think we're going to try another hotel next time

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Hi this resort is the best disney hotelI've stopped at by far.The staff are super they couldn't do enough for you check in was fast and easy you was given a map to show u to your room.OK this was a bit hard at first as the resort is so big when we finally found our room it was big to our surprise as we read reviews saying they were small we had 5 of us in this room with more than enough room after a long flight we went straight to sleep the next day on close inspection we found a few specs of paint and a cob web in the corner if the bath room so I went to reception told the lady the problems.The lovely lad said ok do u mind in moving rooms I said no I don't Ming she upgraded us to the princess rooms at no cost what was great when we got there my daughter couldn't be leave her eyes she was amazed by the room.THe only down side off it was the rooms were smaller than the other one we stopped at .(would I pay the price to stay in this rooms if don't think I would )as after a couple of days my daughter didn't really bother he with all the little things u have hidden around the room.THe grounds at port orleans riverside are massive compared to the french quarter it's like twice the size off it .the food court is twice as good at riverside than french quarter u have a wide rang off food and drinks there riverside is the best place we've had food at for the hotels plenty off choice and always hot food there the pasta is great and I also like how u choose your own omelettes And they make it for you is cool.So all in all stay here as this is by far the best moderate hotel at disney world

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!