“Peaceful Disney” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside

Save Saved
You added Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside to your Saves list
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1251 Riverside Dr, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830 (Formerly Dixie Landings)   |
Ranked #63 of 329 hotels in Orlando
ocean, NJ
“Peaceful Disney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I LOVED PO! Having been to several of the Disney resorts, this rates at the top. By far the best moderate. We stayed in the Royal Rooms, just adorable for the little princess he kid in all of us. the service is wonderful...It's Disney! The pros !. Beautiful pool & grounds, nightly carriage rides, a short walk to French Quarter, and it's own ferry to Downtown Disney! What I loved most was the calming atmosphere at PO. Such romantic charm, a great relaxing resort after the parks. I would ecommend for couples as well.

Room Tip: chose a room close to lobby
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

4,236 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (909)
Hagerstown, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Yes, it's good to stay on a Disney hotel if you're going to Disney, But few hotels are actually a stone's throw from Disney This hotel's strongest asset is the lovely grounds and river that runs through it. That's truly charming. If you stay at any of the Disney hotels, but sure to ask them how to check in at the airport to be able to ride the Disney shuttle to the hotel. It's free and you need to do this. The check-in is past the luggage area and they will help you from there. And they will ask to book your return ride at that time, so have your return trip details handy. Check in at the hotel was sort of slow- a long line. Then it was confusing to actually find our room I did ask for a quiet room and they put is in the Alligator Bayou part- the theme was rustic and the room small and darkly decorated. I didn't like it and immediately asked for something brighter. So we got the other type of room It was still small, but the decorating was more in my taste. I do mean small, so if there are more than 2 people, you will be cramped. This hotel is not that close to Disney and you will need to ride the Disney shuttle buses to get there, Buses will take you anywhere in Disney you need to go. As far as eating, there is a place that everyone eats at and the food is actually pretty good- not cheap if you don't have a meal plan included. At least we didn't overpay to stay here. I did like the Mark Twain river type theme, but I don't think I'd stay here again. I would want to be at a hotel where I could walk to at least one park Also, you can take the little boats into Downtown Disney. That does take some time- like 20 minutes. Downtown Disney has some nice restaurants and some interesting stores.

Room Tip: If you like dark rooms with a rustic bayou feel, then ask for the Alligator Bayou. If you want light...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came back to Disney for a quick long weekend away without the kids, we brought the whole famille 6 months ago for a 10 day stay. Because we have a large family, we always stay at the Villa Resorts so this was our first time staying at a moderate priced resort, it will probably be our last. While some things were wonderful, the overall feel we were left with will have us booking future vacations at the deluxe and villa resorts only.

We did take advantage of the online check in, which helped to quicken our time at the reservation desk. However, once we recieved our welcome package and were sent on our way, it was a while before we were able to find our room. The layout to the resort is a little confusing and not very clearly marked. Upon finding our room, our initial impression was that the room was well appointed and clean, although small and dimly lit. The one window did little to allow natural light in. But the bed, we had a king bed room, was so soft and comfy it made you want to immediately fall asleep. And thank goodness for the extra covers on top, the room was chilly and we were unable to control the temp via the wall controls. So if we stayed in the room at all and didn't feel like wearing a sweatshirt, we needed to cover up with the blanket. Another issue with the room was that the wifi service was practically nonexistent and cell phone signal only worked if we were sitting at the window. Not at all acceptable when trying to keep in touch with family back home.

The privacy curtain at the sink/closet area is a good idea but I was completely shocked by the unbelievably small size of the bathroom. Is that how it is in all of the value/moderate resorts? It borders on completely unacceptable! I know I am used to the spacious layout of the villa bathrooms, but this was little more than a toilet and small shower/tub shoved in a closet! However it did have a fantastic shower head that made the shower enjoyable.

Did I mention that it took five hours for our luggage to arrive? We used Disney's Magical Express, and while they have changed the check in process a bit and made it a little more time consuming, it was still wonderful to not have to worry about ground transportation to and from the airport. But if we could reach our hotel in under an hour, what is the reasoning for our luggage taking 5 hours? There was only one other couple on our bus and only 5 or 6 familys in total waiting at the bus depot at the airport. So I can not begin to understand why our luggage was detained, causing us to have to wear our dirty airplane clothes when we left the resort to meet friends. Next time I will make sure to carry a clean set of clothes in my carry on.

The grounds at Riverside were beautifully maintained and lush, although the walking paths are very dimly lit at night. And the only pool we could find, the main one I believe, was too small for a resort this size and always crowded. The food court at Riverside was spacious although their food selection was limited and never changed. If you want something more than burgers, sandwiches or pizza you will need to look elsewhere. We never did get to try the resort restaurant, but the bar/lounge area off the lobby was fun, the staff was friendly and courteous, and there is even a working fireplace you can sit by while sipping your drinks.

My overall impression was that this hotel wasn't terrible, and maybe if we hadn't been previously spoiled by staying at the better resorts, we would even think it is great. But knowing that Disney has greater selections available, I will be choosing to spend a little bit more money and staying at the more deluxe resorts on our future trips.

• Stayed June 2013
Oceanside, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

To Start off, This Place was amazing...... Location Location Location.

Myself and my Girlfriend, and my Friend stayed 6 nights in the Newly Themed Tiana Room, and it was amazing. Sure we had a view of the parking lot, but still who cares......

The Best Things about this place, was how close we where to the Bus Stop, and the Main Lobby for the Hotel. Also we where so close to the water taxi that was able to take us to Port Orleans French Quarter, and Downtown Disney

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was my first visit to a WDW resort and can honestly say it was the best holiday ever. The hotel staff we very friendly and even let my 7 year old niece to all the check in process from the other side of the of the counter. Our rooms had garden views and were only a short walk from the main eating hall and pool. The rooms were very clean and a decent size with 2 large double beds in it. Would recommend this hotel to anyone....so much so I have already booked to go back in 2014!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room as near to the main eating area and pool as possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was our fourth trip to WDW and we like to try a new resort each time. We were very pleased with POR. We were in the Acadia building overlooking the river. The resort staff was very friendly and helpful (as always). The property itself was very beautiful and the rooms nice too. I loved that there was a separate vanity area so my husband could shower while I put on my makeup. There was a curtain that separated it from the sleeping area which was nice too. There was also a ceiling fan, which I don't recall seeing in many other hotels and it made me feel at home. We slept like babies each night!

The shuttle service was fantastic! We've had slower experiences at other hotels, but we never had to wait more than a few minutes. We missed the shuttle leaving Animal Kingdom, but within a couple of minutes another bus was right there.

The food court was the same as in other resorts, but we don't usually don't eat at the food courts anyway. We always do the dining plan eating dinner in nicer places (such as Be Our Guest in MK and Ohana at the Poly), lunch in the parks, and a light breakfast. On the first day we had a really late lunch due to the Fantasmic package so we chose to eat breakfast at the hotel. It was just ok.

Overall, we were very pleased and if we didn't do different resorts each time, we'd stay there again!

Room Tip: We were in the Acadia building which seemed close to the lobby, pool, and bus stops.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Fairhope, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here the week of Easter with the family for Spring Break. Had a room in the Alligator Bayou with the new Murphy bed that folds out of the bench/tv stand. The Murphy Bed is only large enough for a child (9 or less) but was perfect for us with a 9 year old. We have stayed here on many occasions and this is one of our favorite resorts on Disney property.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!