“Stay somewhere else” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside

You added Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside to your Saves list
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1251 Riverside Dr, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830 (Formerly Dixie Landings)   |
Ranked #82 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Rochester, New York
“Stay somewhere else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was in Disney for a family wedding, and this was the hotel the bride and groom chose for their guests. It was disappointing from beginning to end. The hotel is supposed to mimic a plantation from what I could gather - buildings were spread out. We happened to arrive late evening we got lost on property - twice. The paths are dimly lit and signage is almost non existent. When we inquired about getting a ride in one of the golf carts or having a "cast member" guide us, we were told that wasn't possible. The room was small and needed serious updates. The garbage can in the bathroom appeared to be an old hazardous waste basket, there were stains on the beadspreads, all the fixtures were old, half of the lighbulbs were burned out, the towels were threadbare, and the top lock on the door was broken off. Overall, we made due because we were with family, but I would NEVER stay there again, nor would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. There are far better places to stay on Disney property for around the same price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,205)
East Greenville, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Disney's Port Orleans Hotel in Orlando is an appropriately priced, middle class compromise to what could be an enormously expensive experience. The fact that most individuals spend little time in their hotel rooms and most of their time at the theme parks makes it painful to spend hundreds of dollars to stay in a hotel room. However, staying in a Disney resort does provide one with the ability to get to the theme parks earlier than those not staying on site and that permits much easier access to the ordinarily high volume attractions in the parks. Along with Disney's Fast Pass system, this allows one to maximize their experiences.
Rooms are clean, appropriately appointed to theme and have a refrigerator and coffee maker. I believe that Disney has attempted to provide a means for guests with limited incomes to stay in the park in comfort. If they could find a way to discount family tickets for the theme parks, that could bring a visit to Disney within the reach of significantly more middle class families.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the ends tend to have less traffic.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
eastern US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside during February 2013 for several nights.

First, the good things. The property is attractive, with a small river that winds around a small island, where the pool is located. The lobby area is nice, with a gift shop (which are everywhere on the Disney property), a small bar, and a nice restaurant. The landscaping was well maintained and provided a nice feel to the resort. There's also the family style cafeteria. The grounds are nice to walk around. For the most part, the transportation works well, with buses that travel most places on the Disney property and back and forth to MCO. Our room was pretty small, but adequate for the two of us, and it was clean and in good condition. The housekeeping responded to one small request we had. We didn't buy that many souvenirs, but the ones we did buy were sent from the shops to the resort for us to pick up so that we didn't have to carry them with us all day.

Now for the not-so-good things. This was our first trip to Disney, so we did not know all the tricks. Whenever we asked a question, we would get odd, and often, rude answers. I realize that there are a lot of Disney pros that know all the tricks of the trade, but we are not one of them. The woman who checked us in was rude, and did not seem interested in explaining things to us. We also got this from one of the guys working in the baggage area. This happened several more times. What ever happened to the friendly, helpful Disney attitude? The internet on our room also did not work. It worked fine in the lobby (which was a different network), but it would not work in our room on a laptop, an iPad, a phone, or a kindle. It finally did work the last night we were there. I did call several times on this. The responses I got were silence (yes - silence), to a promise to fix it (this was the first time I called, and it certainly didn't get done for a couple of days). I got the feeling that they really didn't care too much. So I took my laptop over to the bar and sat there each night. Some of the transportation was confusing, and frankly, wrong. One set of directions said that we could not take a boat from our resort to Downtown Disney, when in fact this was indeed possible. And other stories like this.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I loved this resort. My only issue with it is that it is so big (I think it's one of the largest resorts on the Disney World property). We had a room in one of the mansions, I cant remember which number, but they were closer to the lobby/restaurant. Even then, it was a long walk to get to our room. However, the staff was great, the store had everything you could possibly need and want. The food was great. And the property itself was gorgeous. I did enjoy being able to hop on the boat to get to downtown Disney. It's definitely a resort worth staying in at least once. I think children would really enjoy it, and the pool was pretty cool.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the mansions closer to the lobby/restaurant/dining hall.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at Riverside for four nights. Check in was easy, especially since I already checked in online days before; the line for the regular check in was wrapped around the lobby. Room was on the larger side, two queen beds and a pull out little kid size bed. Parking was easy and plentiful. Lots of walking, but the place is beautiful. Kids loved the pool, fishing hole and the arcade. We ate at Boatwrights a couple of nights for dinner, not very good. The food court had a good variety of meals and snacks. Disney transportation to the parks was very easy, the bus was never very crowded.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our first stay at a Disney Resort. We upgraded to a "preferred" building (27) that was close to the food court, and Riverside attractions. The grounds of the resort are beautiful and very clean. The room is a little larger than a standard hotel room size. We requested a pull down kids bed that my 7 year old son loved! This is a large resort, with many Disney transportation stops. Pools are just a short walk from every building at Riverside. The main pool and playground are next too the food court. We enjoyed our stay, and would recommend Port Orleans Riverside to friends.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for the preferred buildings. It allowed us to be a short walk to everything River...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My first time staying on a disney resort as I stayed in a villa before, however this is the way to go.

Room: We had our room in the Magnolia Terrace which was near to the quiet pool, not too far from the car park and East Depot and less than 5 mins walk to the food court. The room was big enough for the three of us but not for five. We found enough space to empty our cases and put them in different corners not to be used until it was time to repack. Beds were comfortable, bathroom fine and we had enough towels and amenities. Two problems we could hear the toilet being flused at night which I always hear about 2am and only once for the night (strange) our Mousekeeper needs a tip on how to clean a room. I had to complain however nothing was done.

Food court: We were on the disney dining plan, choices were limited for us after two weeks. ate out a numberof times as was a bit tired of the offerings here. We were always able to find a seat and it was busy.
DPOR needs to revise the method they use in getting our food. We join the line for one thing however if you wanted a starter or dessert its another long line, which makes your food cold or your dessert hot. Waited half an hour for my pasta your way. Breakfast was much better.
Try going to get dinner before 6pm much calmer.

Pool: Well managed, number of lifeguards on duty at all times. Area clean and a joy to sit around.

Staff: Wow I really believe that the walt disney staff customer service is second to none. And this is the same at the DPOR. They were friendly, knowledgeable and did there best to accomodate us.

I do not know what the luxury hotels are like but I am very happy with the Disney Port Orleans and believe it is a VERY good moderate hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!