You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Universal Studios Orlando to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Universal Studios Orlando
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5605 Major Blvd, Orlando, FL 32819 (Formerly Sleep Inn & Suites @ Univ Studios)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #134 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Halifax, Canada
“Did not win me over.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

On a recent trip to Disney I decided to visit Universal Studios for two days so I picked this hotel because it was close and cheap. Also it had a free shuttle.
Don't bother with the Shuttle, I wouldn't even call it shuttle service. It only goes from the Hotel to the Park TWICE A DAY!! Once at 8:30am and again at 11:20am. I checked in at noon so I missed the shuttle and ended up just driving over and paying the $12 to park at Universal. Also the shuttle only returned twice a day. It really wasn't conveincent. Even if it went once an hour that would be MUCH better.
The pool was very, very small so I didn't even bother with it. It really didn't look all that great.
The room was tiny! And it was shaped weird. The bathroom was so small they didn't have a tub just a stand up shower.
Hot Breakfast was a joke. All they served was Scrambled Eggs and warm Biscuits with Gravey. No Bacon or Sausage. A poor excuse for a hot breakfast.
The only good thing about this hotel was the Staff. They were friendly and very polite.

If I had to stay in the area again, I will pick a different hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
jmmiller123456, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Universal Studios Orlando, responded to this review, February 16, 2010
Regarding your comments on the hot breakfast, all Holiday Inn Express hotels do offer hot items on a rotating basis. Bacon, sausage and sausage gravy are rotated through out the week with either scrambled eggs or omelets. All items are not served in the same day.

I am pleased to hear you did enjoy our staff, and we appreciate your comments. Thank you and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Strasshof
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

I chose this hotel for our first three nights on our trip through florida because of the close proximity of universal studios, our first planned visit. We were surpised by the overall good looks of the place. In fact, there are people cleaning up every inch of the hotel all the time, everything - even the carpets of the aisles - look almost like new. Wireless internet worked flawlessly, the breakfast was constantly being refilled and fresh. Even the swimming pool was clean and perfectly temperated. From my experience so far - and the ones to be made later on this trip - I would say that this is a benchmark hotel for the Holiday Inn chain.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights, and I've got to say, I was very disappointed with this hotel. We've stayed in a lot of different Holiday Inn Express hotels throughout the US, and this one was by far the worst. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I will never go back to that hotel.

First the positives. The location is perfect if you're going to Universal Studios. The price was also a positive, as it is a fairly cheap hotel to stay at. For a lot of people price and location are key, so this hotel definitely has that in its favour.

Now for the negatives. When we arrived, the front door to the hotel lobby was locked. Granted, it was after hours (approx. 12:30am), so from a security perspective, that's not necessarily a bad thing. So we rang the bell to have someone let us in. After waiting for about 5 minutes, we finally got inside the lobby, where we were greeted by the most unmotivated hotel clerk we'd ever met. I felt like we should have apologized for disturbing her. Now purely a personal preference thing for me, but I HATE hotels that separate the sink/mirror area from the toilet/shower area. Maybe for families this is preferable, I don't know, but my opinion is that any "bathroom stuff" you need to do should be in the privacy of the bathroom, behind a closed door. Oh, and that leads me to my next point. The toilet and shower area was literally a converted closet. There wasn't even a real door, just a sliding pocket door which didn't close all that tight (although I guess it's not uncommon for closet doors to leave a gap). The bed was literally 5 feet away from this pocket door, seperated only by the small sink area. There were only 2 of us in the room thankfully. I can't imagine if more that 2 people wanted to share a room. The best part of our stay at this hotel was when we finally checked out. If I hadn't prepaid for the room in advance, we would have left while waiting at the front door for someone to let us in.

There are lots of other hotels right in the same area for about the same price, so my advice is to check them out first.

This all being said, I still really like Holiday Inn Express as a chain, but now I know that not all Holiday Inn Express' are equal, and will therefore need to do a bit more homework for the next time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
jmmiller123456, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Universal Studios Orlando, responded to this review, August 20, 2009
We take great pride in making sure all of our guests have an enjoyable experience during their stay with us.

We appreciate any opportunity during the stay to meet our guests desires and needs, and I believe one of our suites would have been more suitable to your needs.

Your comments regarding the greeting you experienced upon arrival is certainly not up to par with our commitment to delivering excellent service. I would appreciate the extra step if you could contact me with the date of your arrival.

Guest feedback is shared with all hotel associates in a continued effort to maintain our high guest service standards.

We thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Jane Miller
407-363-1333
jmmiller@buffalolodging.com
dundee scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

had a 2 nights stay and overall found it to be a pleasant hotel, check in was fine, and room was very clean and of a good size, pool area was also pleasant, not to big but quiet and relaxing,hotels location was great for the universal parks but not a lot else unless you had a car, Breakfast was tasty but manic, a problem i have encountered with the H.I.E.'s. STandard time for breakfast for all hotels in the chain that i have been to is 6.30 to 9.30, but if you are not down before 8am it is really busy, no fun at all. When you are on vacation you dont want to be getting up the same time you get up the other 48 weeks of the year, but the alternative is the crazy breakfast or missing it all together. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Over the piece enjoyed the stay, it is a nice hotel , and would stay again for a night or two if i was visiting universal , but if not for that there are many better alternatives place to stay in the sunshine state.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
reggio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

clean, cheap and near universal studio. Just too many holiday-school.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Manasquan, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

SUPER clean hotel. Wonderful front desk personal. highly recommended. safe and secure. Nice to see security going thru at night. Comfortable bed. Free in room wi-fi easy to use. Pleasant stay. Across from Universal Studios entrance.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

This place ROCKS! Stayed for two nights and we were thrilled. After some pretty scary places around Disney this one was a wonderful surprise. Check in was a breeze; staff was so friendly you felt welcome immediately. The room was immaculate, everything worked well, we enjoyed the pool and the hot breakfast in the morning.

Pick this one, you won't be sorry!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Universal Studios Orlando? Share your experiences!