“Nice but you need a car” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5800 Universal Blvd, Orlando, FL 32819   |
Ranked #57 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago Illinois
“Nice but you need a car”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2005

The hard rock hotel is a very nice hotel. The staff is very nice, housekeeping was wonderful but the price to eat at the hotel is crazy. The food that is served in the Kitchen is really not worth it. The food cost too much and the food is not that good. The hotel charge $8 to go to the workout room and I paid alot of money to stay there and the workout room should be free. There is a charge for a large bottle of water the cost $6 and a regular size bottle of water $2.50, a can of soda $2.95. The best part of the trip is the exress passes, it bypass the rest of the people standing in line. the food inside parks are wonderful and alot cheaper than the hotel. Make sure to buy a soveiner cup and take to the park everytime because it cost only$1.49 for refills. Overall it was nice but I can not afford to stay there again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

Stayed here 5 days during Memorial day with my husband and 2 kids ages 8 and 10, and had a great time. The hotel was clean, and friendly. We had stayed at the Portofino around Christmas and was very impressed, but when we decided to come back for Memorial day, we heard that Hard Rock was more kid friendly so we chose it instead. From the mixed reviews, I did not know what to expect, but we had a great time. We stayed at the club level in both hotels, and they both had their advantages and disadvantages. The food choices in the Hard Rock are much better in the evening than the Portofino, however, breakfast is much better at at Portifino. Also, the club room is smaller at the hard rock, and you get people in barefeet, and pj's which was a turn off for me. However, the pool at Hard rock for the kids is much more enjoyable.

I enjoyed both hotels and their ammenities and would recommend either one. Breakdown though if you are couple stay at Portofino if you are a family chose hard rock.

• Stayed May 2005
Warren, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

My family just returned from a nine day stay at Hard Rock (June 10-18.) I read so many of the previous reviews before we went, I almost didn't know what to expect (some people had some pretty negative things to say.) I'm thrilled to write this review as we were extremely pleased with our entire stay at HRH.

The POSITIVES:
-Club Level definitely worth the extra money (quick, light breakfast each morning-- beer/wine and hor dourves from 5:00-7:00--desserts every evening--soda and bottled water all day long)
-Friendly staff (every single employee we came into contact with said hello and asked how we were doing)
-Pool (perfect for my seven year old and the baby pool was great for my twenty month old)
-Rooms (clean and comfortable--we upgraded our second day there to a bigger room w/ king bed and pull out sofa, two TVs, separate dining room, etc. FABULOUS!)
-Short walk to Universal, Islands of Adventure, and CityWalk (Express pass at the parks was enough to make you feel like royalty)
-Music, music, music!!!!

The NEGATIVES:
-poor lighting in the bathrooms
-remote controls did not work well unless you were 2 feet from the TV (we noticed it in our first room and with both TVs in our upgraded room)

What else can I say? The positives DEFINITELY outweigh the negatives. Yes, some of the food/drink prices were high at the restaurants on site, but what can you expect anywhere in Orlando?? (And believe me we went to many restaurants throughout the area that week.) You can't expect to travel to a tourist area like that and find a $3.00 cheeseburger!

This vacation was all we dreamed about and MORE! We can't wait to go back. Thank you, HRH, for a fantastic experience!

Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2005

We stayed 5 days at the Hard Rock Hotel Club level the first week of June. We were given our room key to enjoy some drinks on the 7th floor lounge while we waited for our room to be ready. I was called on my cell when our room was ready. The room was spacious & clean. The cleaning people were very nice and creative. They arranged a gator (the boys won at the park) and had him posed on the bed with a blow-up guitar. Club level free sodas, water, coffee, breakfast, delicious appetizers, beer, wine(5-7),cookies & milk (evenings) was awesome. It is worth the extra $$.
The pool was very nice and clean. My teen loved the slide. The hot tub was always packed, the other was closed. The pleasant walk to the parks with all the nice plants was great. All the rock memorabilia was cool. I especially liked Elton John's super high heel shoe display. We also enjoyed the rock music playing everywhere, even under water. I highly recommend this hotel (unless you like peace and quiet).

• Stayed June 2004
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2005

We booked on the 7th Floor Club Room. The convenience of a continental breakfast each day, the hor's deouvers in the evening and treats at night were a nice break from the ridiculous prices in the parks and at City Walk. The room was large, clean and had a great pool view.

Our 12 year old twins just loved the pool. The short walk to the parks was great too. Made getting there early each day at opening time easy. The kids even went on their own one day while we rested. No worries about them being on their own for a few hours.

The Universal Express convenience made for little or no waiting on any attraction. Compared to Disneys Fast Pass, there is nothing like the Universal benefit. Was like being a VIP....

The food in the Club Room was actually quite good, even premium or fresh squeezed OJ. The treats at night were a nice surprise. Every day the menu was different and kept it interesting.

Service was good and this was a highlight of our DisneyWorld trip... Disney was a big let down.... even for our twins by comparison.

Definitely spend extra on the Club room. While at Disney, I was spending about $100-150/day on meals and none of these were 5 star meals either.

Would do this again in a heartbeat.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2005

My family and I stayed at the Hard Rock for a quick Mothers Day weekend trip and were delighted. The front desk service was fabulous and check in at the Lowe's First counter was a snap. Beware that self parking is $7 per day and valet parking is $14/ day. Unconscionable in my opinion, but I look at it as my fee for the express pass feature on the room key.

The room was spacious, clean and tastefully decorated. Only criticism of the room is that the pillows are too soft (down) but extras were quickly delivered and hypo-allergenic replacements are available.

When we first arrived at the hotel we were concerned because we had small children and the atmosphere seemed more adult, but there's plenty of families at the hotel and our concerns turned out to be unfounded.

The pool area is fabulous, with underwater music piped in, a waterslide and volleyball area and great margaritas. However, despite its expansive size, the pool is very shallow throughout. Great for kids, but it made swimming difficult for adults.

Mother's Day Brunch at the Kitchen was out of this world.

• Stayed April 2005
chicago, illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

A beautfiul hotel to stay in. Service was great. I hadn't pre-booked, the desk was helpful and told me to call reservations to see if I could get a cheaper rate. Parking is cheap $7 a day. A walk through the garden connects you to Universal Studio's and City walk or you could catch a shuttle. The restaurant was pricey but good food. Seems like a great place to take kids.
Pool was awesome. Enjoyed the buffet breakfast, lots of choices to eat.
From cooked to continental. Only downer I had a 2 inch cockroach walking around the room. However, the hotel was quick to deal with it and very apologetic. Didn't milk it because this is Florida and you get bugs in this climate. I would stay there again. I liked the rock music theme.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando? Share your experiences!