“No worries” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
“No worries”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2003

I was at the Royal Pacific for a conference 11/8-11/12 and it was fine.
Read the reviews and was a bit concerned but saw maybe one small dog.
The staff is friendly, hotel is clean and it's in a good location. I would not be worried about the bad reviews. Front of the line access was key!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2003

We visited November 4-11. We went with another family. We were a little nervous with the negative reviews but we really did not have many problems. Both families were Loews First members but we were unable to get a room upgrade (hotel booked) but we were able to get a complimentary rollaway bed. We had to ask for our welcome gifts but they eventually came. I would suggest becoming a Loews First member, it doesn't cost you anything and you may be able to get a free upgrade.
The rooms were very small, nothing special. We were able to get a $110/night rate using our Entertainment Book. That was a great deal.
The rooms definitely were not worth the regular $209 rate. The staff was great and the grounds were beautiful -- unfortunately we had TOO much rain, couldn't enjoy the pool very much. We used our room key to go ahead of the lines at Universal--well worth it!! As far as expensive food and parking fees -- you're on vacation--what do you expect!!

• Stayed November 2003
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2003

Royal Pacific resort will take care of all your personal needs, best part is being close to the park and able to use the express line accessability for the rides.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2003

After reading all of the reviews on this site, I was panicked about the hotel. I only saw one dog during my 5 night stay. I did not hear a single bark. The hotel was gorgeous, the rooms were adequate. Service was wonderful. The pool is beyond compare. Don't believe everything you read around here.... the hotel is great.

• Stayed November 2003, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2003

We stayed at the Royal Pacific last week (Oct. 21-26), in Tower 1. The Hotel is beautiful with its Polynesian Theme, beautiful lobby, fountains. Tower 1 is convenient to the pools and walkways to the Parks. We loved using our room key to access the front lines at the rides (we felt special!). Water taxi was a little slow but the walkway to the parks was beautiful and very convenient. Hotel has a problem with upkeeping and staff. For the price you pay, you expect the walls not to be beat up both in your room and in the hall and tiles not to be missing in the floor. Our friends room never had the correct annemities - soap, ice bucket liner and had extensive problems with the toilet. One room down the hall from us flooded -the staff was cleaning the floor, including the hall carpet as we went by. The carpet in front of this room remained wet the time we were there. Also had problems with the phones - our friends phone was full of static and unusable. In our room, we found a spring, about an inch long, sticking out of the mattress on the side that could have nailed somebody's leg. We called and reported it. The maid had to have known it was there - the sheets had a hole in them where the spring had punctured it. Hopefully it was taken care of after we left since we didn't find it until the morning we checked out. As a Lowes Member, we were promised a check in treat (cookies and milk). We had to call and ask for this. The front desk also asked us what paper we wanted delivered each monring - we never got the paper we asked for. Not one morning. Why did they ask if they didn't intend to deliver what we asked for? And even though I know this hotel is "pet friendly" it was still shocking to see big dogs walking in the beautiful lobby. I wondered if all the rooms are sprayed for fleas because they don't appear to have separate towers or rooms for just pet owners. We even had to dodge a dog urinating on the sidewalk one morning. And all this for rooms over $200. One night after returning from driving to Orlando, we could not find a parking place and had to park in an overflow parking lot way beyond Tower 2. We were told the Hotel was "full" that night. Of course, we could have paid an additional $12 to let the valet park us (that is in addition to $6 parking). And understanding the valets was difficult - not sure all of them spoke English. The pool areas were beautiful; Emeril's was fantastic; the room key for Express Pass was wonderful; the hotel was very accessible to the parks. We had a good time, a good trip. Would we stay at Royal Pacific again? I'm not sure. They just don't have the "Disney" touch. And its' the little things that make or break a hotel and there were a lot of little things not taken care of.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2003

We stayed at the Royal Pacific from October 12th through the 17th. I could write all day about the great time we had but I will try to stick to the relevant information:1. We stayed at the concierge level, Tower 3. I had read reviews about barking dogs and such and chose this level at the recommendation of other writers on this board. It was definitely the way to go. The Concierge was staffed by very professional, courteous, and friendly personnel. For example, most Continental Breakfasts stock meager goodies of bread and pastries and are soon raided by the greedy, so one is left with a few bagels to eat. At the Royal, however, no matter how many people returned again and again to stuff themselves the Staff quietly and quickly reloaded a fine spread of fruit, cereal, coffees, tea, pastries, etc. so we didnt have to get there early or starve. This is also a great value as meals in the park, right down to soft drinks and bottled water are very expensive. As it was my wife and I could take a break from the parks, take the boat back to the Royal, have a snack (or wine and beer in the evenings) and cool off before returning. It was also great to wake up, stroll down the hall, have breakfast and coffee and be off to the parks without having to find a restaurant. The Staff also let us take bottles of water and pop with us to the park. The Concierge lounge itself is very nicely appointed and comfortable, a nice place to read the paper.2. Room quality. Our room looked new, with no visible wear or tear, and I looked for it! The décor is dark, which is authentic if you have seen Malaysian interiors. The room size was fine for my wife and me: if you have 2 or 3 children it will be cramped, I think. Not small, not big. I thought the room was exotic yet relaxing.3. Staff services: maid services no problems whatsoever. The turn down service is great, you should try it! My wife and I were mildly surprised by it at first and then we came to look forward to and enjoy it.4. Hidden charges: we too were dinged for the $6 a day parking fee for the rental car but werent surprised thanks to other posts here. There was a bottle of Evian water in the room with the warning it is $7 to open it, so we didnt. It was odd to see it considering the infinite supply of bottled water we would get from Concierge.5. Overall Staff performance: very, very nice and professional. Our airline lost our bags so at our first arrival the Clerk arranged with Bell Services to monitor that nights lost bag arrivals for our bags. They said USAIR bags usually arrived about midnight and said they would let us know in the morning if they arrived. I said I didnt want to wait that long and to let me know immediately. At about 12:30 am the message light flashed on our phone and I knew our bags were in. Everything I asked for I got, including answers to the same dumb questions I asked about the park, directions, etc.6. Restaurants: the hotel has three. We liked the Islands and went back most nights. The ahi tuna was superb as was the service. It was not crowded at all and the décor is beautiful. We dont have children but noticed a number of families there and the kids having a good time. Jakes is more of a nice bar and grill and the food and service was good, although we ate there only once. We didnt eat at the Tchoup Choup although we should have checked it out.7. Grounds: absolutely beautiful! The lagoon has a decommissioned seaplane tethered there for effect, and the outriggers and palm trees set a very exotic yet un-garish theme. The water taxis do the job very well and are a pleasant trip in and of themselves. Around the hotel and gardens are what appear to be authentic Malaysian, Indonesian or perhaps Thai statuary and other artifacts. There are also hand-carved benches here and there are virtual museum pieces.We took the water taxis over to the Hard Rock and the Portofino to compare hotels and were still pleased with our choice. The Hard Rock is a beautiful structure and grounds resembling a great villa or hacienda. The actual rock memorabilia doesnt fit the architecture although thats OK too. It was an odd mix of austere traditional setting and Andy Warhol chic. I wouldnt have been at all surprised to see Malcom McDowell and his Droogs stroll by, the juxtaposition was so odd. The Portifino looked very nice and seemed more private than the other two hotels. The Italian village motif in Florida seemed out-of-place. Since the townhouses were simulated there was no seam between the buildings, and it gave the village an odd fake look. I would describe it as a set from an Italian version of the British series, The Prisoner. If not that, it looked like an Italian city deserted just before an Allied invasion. Nice hotels though.8. Value: the Club Level Concierge has the maximum room rate. We took advantage of a fourth night free special which reduced the average cost per day to a cheaper room. The Concierge amenities, I believe, made up for the rest of the higher cost. As mentioned in other posts the room key is an infinite Express Pass and my wife and I (we our 4 years apart in age, average age 50) would get off a ride (The Hulk, for example) and get right back on until our necks ached. We would go right past a 30 to 40 minute line of people to re-ride. That luxury alone is a major reason to stay in one of the three park hotels.9. Nuisances: I read other posts about dogs and was concerned about barking dogs; I only saw a few dogs while we were there. Perhaps it was the time of year or just coincidence. We walked all around the grounds and never saw a dog walk area although there is one according to the hotel. Hence, no dog poop lying around like you see at hotels with pets or dog walk areas. As to barking, perhaps the quiet was due to being either in a Tower, the Club Level, or both. I would have considered the vacation a misery if I had to listen to a barking dog all night as some people experienced.Towards the end of the week there was a Best Buy convention and they brought their families and kids. They savaged the concierge buffet and used the spas/hot tubs as kiddie pools but were generally under control. Some of their kids were wild demons but didnt seem to infiltrate to the 7th floor.10. Advice: the room rates vary quite a bit. On the boat ride we could see the ground level rooms. The windows looked right into a nice tropical jungle as per previous posts. Like most hotels, you get what you pay for. If you dont care about gazing at a remarkable view and want a room at a great hotel next to the parks, get the cheapest room. If you want to look out your window and see a tropical paradise with the park city skyline in the background get a club level room like we did. I took lots of pictures, some of the best right out our window. I also think our peace and quiet was a direct result of being on the Club Level. The 7th floor can only be accessed with your room key. Before returning I will ask if any conventions are going on. Oh, and DO the Halloween Horror Nights, at least one night if it is going on while you are there! Not to be missed! Also, join the Loews First membership at their website. It is free. As members we had a basket with a bottle of wine and two glasses waiting for us. We had a fantastic time and will definitely go back.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2003

I stayed at this hotel last weekend and I could not believe how terrible it was. Be aware, Pit Bulls and Rottweilers are walking the halls with their owners. More than several times while walking in the halls/lobby areas, dogs were barking feriously at us. The hotel should mention that it is dog friendly (with no restrictions) when you make reservations. I am a dog owner, but I still do not like big scary dogs growling at me. That's not fun and can be down right scary for some people. The hotel itself is eerily decorated in the halls going to your room. It reminded me of a "haunted" victorian theme gone bad. The paint on the wall is in desperate need of a TOUCH-UP! The walls in the halls we walked through were actually kicked in with holes to go with the lovely chipped purplish paint. The room was just as lovely, the light in the bathroom was not working when we got there and the room walls were loaded with chips in the paint. I'm sorry, I've stayed in no name motels in Daytona that were kept up better. No service either, we called to have them fix the light in the bath and 75 minutes later still nothing. This is during the slow season. I would recommend the Hard Rock over this hotel any day, same management, but much better in the service department and much nicer. Only a little more money too.
They act as if this is a "cheap" hotel, $200.00/night should not be considered a "cheap" hotel. If you want a really nice experience in Orlando check into the brand new Ritz or JW. Both are unbelievable, but if you want to stay on the property at Universal, avoid this mess and stay at the Hard Rock, it's so much better all the way around.

Been to Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando? Share your experiences!