I was so looking forward to staying at the Portofino Bay because we visited the real Portofino Italy last summer. upon arrival all seemed fine. the people at the hotel desk were friendly, our room was ready early. the Bellman was nice, but a little long winded (now we know why, he was starved for human interaction) we headed to IOA. I tried to retrive my tickets that I had purchased online but I was unable because thier computer system was down. We were directed to two different lines and finally let in through a side door. with no tickets, and told when we leave IOA stop back at guest relations to get our tickets. guess what, no tickets, no apologies. they told us later when we go over to universal they should be able to give them to us. So we get to universal around 4:oo pm told to go to guest relations. only one window open. we stood in line for at least 15 minutes. I could'nt believe it! they know they are having computer difficulties and they have one person manning the fort. ridiculious!!! finally they just give them to us. Thank God. We had a good time at universal studios although it seemed like the place was a ghost town. We left right at 7:00 and headed to the nascar cafe (my husband is a big fan and goes to the races) this place was also deserted. it was us and about 5 other people. I really began to wonder what the hell is going on. We had just come from disney. stayed at the yacht club for 4 nights, and it was business as usual. people everywhere. plenty of disney employees to let you in the park in the morning. always someone to ask a question to. how could this place be so different. needless to say our meal was lack luster and we proceed back to the portofino bay. but when we got to the boats they were not operating because of lightning and thunder in the distance. O.K. no problem, so where is the bus stop. they told us and we walked up to universal with about 5 other stranded guest thats 9 in total, and stood beside the sign that said universal resort bus stop. and guess what! the bus driver drove right by us. lightning and thunder all around us by now, a group of about 12 people waving and yelling. I stood there in disbelief. how can this happen. now I felt like I was in sever danger. lightning bolts getting closer, no where to go, a bus driver that just went by us with an empty bus. I began to think, this was the biggest mistake of my life coming to universal. now my childern are starting to get nervous about the lightning. a few minutes later the same bus driver that had just drove by us comes back. where did he go. he was gone for approx 5 minutes, he could'nt of gone to any of the hotels. So we get on board and this guy is totally unfriendly like we interupted his night or something. no good bye have a nice night folks, like you would hear in Disney. our goodbyes fall on deaf ears. no response!! we finally get back to our hotel. our 5 star hotel. sheets turned down, chocolates on the pillows along with the ants. yup thats ants! not chocolate covered ones, real ones crawling on our night stand and few on each bed. What the hell is going to happen next!!! so we kill the ants. or most of them squashing them with a tissue. I was afraid to call the front desk. they might come up with a huge can of raid and kill us off. The next morning we proceed downstairs to the coffee shop to get a bagel, coffee, juice and then head to the parks. locked up tight!!!
Closed. no coffee shop. they told us there was low occupancy so they closed it. Great!!! we were directed to go to the full service trattoria. When we order just what we intended. coffee, yogurt ,bagels. they look at us like we have three heads. I told the waiter we wanted to go to the coffee shop but it was closed. he was very nice and brought our check right away. 25.00 dollars for coffee yogurt and 2 bagels. YIKS !!! O.K. So on a positive note The hotel was beautiful. our bathroom was huge. and there were no creatures in there. Sitting at the villa pool. I really did feel like I was in Italy again. The hot tubs were more like warm tubs and a fart would give you better bubble action. If you like going to a beautiful although deserted hotel. totally understaffed. mostly unfriendly. and you don't mind the occasional thought of insects crawling on you while you sleep. This is the place for you!!!
- Also Known As:
- Loews Portofino Bay Resort
- Portofino Bay Hotel
- Portofino Orlando
- Portofino Bay Hotel Orlando
- Portofino Bay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Celebrate la dolce vita — the sweet life — at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando®. Located at Universal Orlando® Resort, this luxurious hotel re-creates the charm and romance of the famed seaside village of Portofino, Italy, right down to the cobblestone streets and outdoor cafes. Hotel guests enjoy spacious guest rooms featuring authentic Italian furnishings, impeccable and attentive service, an opulent spa, three themed swimming pools and exceptional dining. Hotel guests also enjoy an exclusive package of theme park benefits, including: * Early Park Admission† to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™, one hour before the theme park opens (valid theme park admission required)* Universal Express ride access* to skip the regular lines throughout both theme parks - a FREE benefit worth up to $87 per person, per day (valid theme park admission required)* Complimentary water taxis or shuttle buses to make getting around the resort fast and easy so you can make the most of your time * And more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Amex, Travelocity, Olotels and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.