“Still looks good after all of these years” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5601 Universal Blvd., Orlando, FL 32819   |
Ranked #93 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
USA
“Still looks good after all of these years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed at the Portofino the first month that it opened and loved it. Since that time I've stayed here at least five times but the last time was about four years ago. We booked last minute for the weekend before Christmas and got an amazing deal so I wondered if the low price meant that it may have turned.

Luckily, it is still great. Service was excellent. Our room was clean and in perfect condition. The property is still very well maintained and our bay view from the third floor guest room was gorgeous.

The hotel is a bargain if you are going to the parks because you get a "fast pass" which allows you to enter the park an hour before it opens ( a great idea for the Harry Potter attractions) and you don't have to wait in line for most rides. Before I booked, I went online to see how much the falst pass would cost if we stayed in a different hotel and the cost of the pass (without the park admission) was $99 for both parks !! Therefore it was thrifty to just stay at the portofino.

We ate a Sal's one night which was price $80 for pizza for a family of four and the Valet Parking cost of $27 a night plus tax ($20 to self park) always ticks me off but otherwise, the hotel is a pure delight. The free internet makes the parking a little more easy to swallow. I'd stay here again even if I was not heading to Citywalk or Universal! It is that lovely!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
LPBHManager, General Manager at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando, responded to this review, today
Comments from our repeat guests are valuable to us and we truly appreciate them. Our team members try to accommodate as many room location requests as possible and I am glad to hear we were able to fulfill your request.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Thai first
Olrando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is our favorite hotel in Florida! We visit here at least 2/3 times a year and we are never disappointed. The staff is exceptional and rooms & pool areas are absolutely gorgeous! The parks are directly connected to the hotel which makes this such an easy & fun vacation for all!

Review collected in partnership with Loews Hotels and Resorts

LPBHManager, General Manager at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando, responded to this review, yesterday
We thank you for your feedback and comments. As a repeat guest, your continued enjoyment and satisfaction mean a great deal to us. We look forward to having you back for another visit in the near future!
Danville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was my fourth trip to Universal. Previously, we had stayed at Hard Rock, Royal Pacific, and Portofino. Our last trip with Portofino was such a positive experience we decided to try it again. Unfortunately, our flight was delayed going into Orlando and we were checking in at around 11pm. We had requested a bay view room in hopes of receiving a patio room on the first floor. When asked about the room we found out they were reserved for those traveling with pets. At first, this was concerning as my mother has a pet allergy. We were assured however, the rooms were thoroughly cleaned every day and we would have no issue. There was a room with a king bed only but we were offered a cot for free (we declined but appreciated the gesture). We gladly accepted the patio room and boy was it a wonderful decision! Since our last trip, the rooms were redone and looked beautiful. We had done a grocery order from Orlando Grocer and the hotel held it for us all day and had a mini refrigerator. (It costs $15/day but our fees were waived). The air in the hotel could be cranked down lower than most hotels so we were able to sleep comfortably. Our views were wonderful as we had a view of the boat dock and the Christmas tree. Bathrooms were large and spacious and we enjoyed the robes waiting for us. You cannot beat the boat transportation to the parks except we did have an issue with a captain named "Bob" who was rather rude and extremely slow. The express passes included were wonderful, you could do everything you wanted all in one day. However, the concierge was closed at this time of night and we were told to wait till the morning to get our tickets for the parks.. This was concerning as the parks opened up early and we did not want to miss any time there. Luckily, we had a helpful gentleman who was a bellman get our tickets for us. I would, however, recommend you should be able to get your park tickets at any time of the day. We went to Sal's a few times and overall enjoyed looking out at our rooms. Be sure to request first floor patio rooms if you want to enjoy what we had. Do not be concerned about pet allergies! If we ever go back to Universal Orlando, we will be staying there again.

Room Tip: Bay view and request the first floor patio pet rooms.
Green Features: They needed separate cans for recycling items. We tried to separate cans from trash as much as we could.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback and are pleased to hear you enjoyed staying in one of our Bay View rooms with a patio overlooking the harbor. Though we have only a few rooms with this feature, we are happy to have provided to you.

When your travels bring you back to the Orlando area, we look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable stay!
Ankeny, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Let me start by saying the staff was very nice and helpful. But that is where the good ends. I have stayed at Loews Royal Pacific on separate occasions and was quite satisfied. I expected an even better experience here considering the significant increase in room rates. We checked in at 4.00pm on Sunday 12-7-14. Here we go :-(

1. Our room had a filthy comforter and holes in the bed sheets. We contacted the front desk and they immediately moved us.

2. Our second room also had stains on the bed sheets which they changed to our satisfaction. They did however throw the dirty linens out in the hall for the night.

3. There was trash on the floor behind the room trash container such as sugar packs and coupons, Indicating the floor had not been vacuumed.

4. The toilet was not very clean showing signs of matter in the bowl.

5. There were dripping stains on the bathroom wall next to the toilet that were disgusting and tried NOT to guess what it could have been.

6. The in room safe did not work when we tried to secure valuables. There was a piece of tape on the backside of the door dated 9-01-13. I am sure this was the last time the battery for the keypad was replaced.

7. The handset on the cordless phone was dead.

8. The window cranks and mechanisms were broken.

9. There was cobwebs and what appeared to be mold on the inside of the window casements. They were disgusting.

10. When the toilet in our room as well as nearby rooms flushed, you would here it in the sink drain.

11. The desk had residue on a good part of clearly indicating it had not been wiped clean prior to our arrival.

12. The Universal times and info provided in room was from the previous month.

13. What appeared to be mold or mildew in the shower.

As I had mentioned in the hotels customer satisfaction survey, We were only there for a 3 day theme park vacation and did not want to spend our time chasing these issues. I have some photos but I am not going to post them here. After completing the survey, I received what I felt was a sincere attempt by Mr. Dennis Yu, the hotels Guest Services Manger, to discuss the shortcomings of our stay.
He asked for a valid contact phone number from me and a time to call, Which I readily provided. This was on December 12 and as of this post I have yet to hear from Mr. Yu. Don't indicate you wish for resolve and not follow through. HIGHLY unprofessional. Some of my friends have advised me to contact my credit card issuer. THAT would get some attention I'm sure.
In conclusion, I am a 54 year old male and I am a Loews YouFirst member. My wife travels exstensively for her work and is a Hilton Honors Gold Level member. We could have stayed anywhere we would have liked on points alone but chose to spend several hundred dollars a night to stay at Loews Portofino Bay to be onsite at Universal studios.Very sad.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments.

Please know your comfort and enjoyment is our priority. These issues you mentioned should not have been an inconvenience to you during your stay; nor the shortcomings post stay. Customer service is our highest priority and I would like to speak with you to gather more details about your stay. Please contact us at: portofinogeneralmanager@loewshotels.com so that we may schedule a call at your convenience.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We visited with an 80 grandmother and with young teenagers. It was perfect. My mom took the boat ride to the park entrance and returned trip several times throughout the day for the fun of it. The kids enjoyed the park and pool. The rooms where spacious. The food is much better than expected at hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Loews Hotels and Resorts

Thank you for your comments.

I am so pleased to hear you were able to find something enjoyable for all members of your party. We look forward to serving you again soon. Until then, Ciao!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I'll start by saying that I have visited Orlando extensively over the past 10 years, visiting 2-3 times per year. The Portofino is my favourite hotel.

From the moment you arrive, the atmosphere is lovely and relaxing. The subtle Italian music in the background, calm atmosphere and pleasant staff make this possible.

- Rooms - the rooms are amazing. Very comfortable, large bed - perfect after a day in the parks.

- Location - the river boat to Citywalk for park access is regular and comfortable, the staff on the boat are always pleasant and give tips - sometimes with funny jokes to brighten your morning.

- Dining - we ate at the poolside bar, the service was a little slow, but good and the food portions were large and excellent quality. Mama Della's is great to pick up a snack or food, they have great olives in here!

Pool area - perfect after a day in the parks.

I can't recommend a stay here anymore. This was our 3rd stay and already booked for next year.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recommendation.

I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your accommodations and our popular Mama Della’s Ristorante. We are proud to offer authentic Italian cuisine in a warm, genuine atmosphere.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your return visit next year.
Oldham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The main benefit of the Portofino Bay is its position, just a 5 minute boat ride or 10 minute walk from the enmtrance of Universal Studios. That shouldn't, however, detract from the fact that it is an excellent hotel in its own right.

There are a number of good restaurants including Bice at which you can nevr go wrong. The pool area is also everything that you could want when having a rest from the stresses and strains of the theme park.

Unfortunately we had some exceptionally chilly weather when visiting in early December meaning we couldn't take full advantage but we still very much enjoyed our stay.

I think it is worth paying the additional fee for a lake view room as this is what sets the hotel aside from the other on-site offerings. The Christmas tree by the lake was also impressive.

The hotel offers the fast pass and early entry option for the theme parks which is good nd allows you to do the busiest rides before the masses arrive.

We also hired a car whilst at the hotel as we needed to drive to Miami to catch a flight. This was excelptionally easy and painless.

Room Tip: Get a lake view
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
We are truly delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us, and pleased you took advantage of some of the many amenities we provide.

Again, we are pleased you would recommend the Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, and hope to welcome you back on your next trip across the pond!

Been to Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando? Share your experiences!