“Great Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando

Save Saved
You added Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando to your Saves list
Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5780 Major Boulevard, Orlando, FL 32819 (Florida Center)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
2X Points & WiFi Included
Ranked #146 of 328 hotels in Orlando
“Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

We like this hotel because you can walk over to city walk and don't have to worry about parking or driving. The hotel is nice but the room was not as clean as it could be. It looked like there was dried blood at the bottom of the bathroom door, gross. The cookies were great and they gave us a much appreciated late check out time. Overall it was nice and we will stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012
DoubletreeUniversal, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Holliel0202,
Thank you for your five star review of your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. I am sorry about the cleaniness issue you experienced, I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping team and that will be an area that they do place more focus on when in the guest rooms.
Holliel0202, thank you again for the great feedback and when your travels bring you to Orlando again please let us know, we will keep the cookies warm.

1,902 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I recently spent a weekend in Orlando visiting the Universal Studios park & decided to stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando because I had a budget and couldn't afford to stay at the hotels located in the park area.
The Hotel's location is ideal & you can easily walk there within less than 15 minutes.
I arrived at the hotel, waited quite a while to check in & got the famous hot cookie. Got to my room & found it was not too bad but... the TV was unplugged, the view was horrible (aircon units on the roof behind - UGLY) & finally some paper with writing on it which should have been thrown away when the cleaning was done. I called to complain, & was told that I could change the next day. Housekeeping came to check up on my complaint about the piece of paper that should not have been there.
Next day, I went for breakfast - Starbucks there does not take the special prepaid card. Why? To make more money of course! Starbucks in the USA is more expensive than in Canada - nearly $3 for a cup of tea??? The lobby of the hotel is quite tacky & was filled with young latinos at some youth conference. They were mostly very nice & polite.
After my breakfast I came back to the reception & got into my new room which had a decent view with two queen beds. The bathroom was not as nice as the first room - the bath was kind of tacky & the tap at the sink was loose.
Next morning I had breakfast in the main breakfast area of the hotel (at the back of the hotel). I decided to have an omelette & it was pretty nice but the chef was quite sullen. Its important for staff to be friendly & pleasant. Upon my return to my room, I removed the "Do not disturb" sign & went off to the Universal Studios theme parks. Upon my arrival quite late that night I found that the room and the bathroom had not been made up. The floor mat was soaking wet & the bath was not clean. The bed was not made & so I slept in the 2nd bed. I complained & housekeeping came to bring me up a clean bathmat. I also called to order a taxi for my return to the airport. I called twice before midnight to ensure that a taxi would be booked & ready for me at 5:30am the next morning. The next day, I was in the lobby at 5:20am & waited a considerable time for the taxi which never appeared, so I asked for one, which supposedly was called but didn't come. Eventually a car was called & appeared to take me to Orlando International Airport. I will never again stay at this hotel & would only recommend it if you absolutely need to stay in a hotel near the Universal Studios park. Hopefully the service there will improve.

Room Tip: Rooms in the North side have a horrible view of air conditioning units. Rather stay in a room on the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
DoubletreeUniversal, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear PatARB,
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. I am sorry about your experiences within the hotel. I have shared your comments with Food & Beverage, Housekeeping, and Front Office about your experiences. I know that they are all working with their team members to make sure the items you experienced do not happen again.
PatARB, I am sorry about your experience, and I very much appreciate the feedback you have provided.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for two weeks and have no complaints. Staff were very friendly, hotel was well maintained and rooms spotless. Ideally located, just a 10 minute walk to Universal parks and 15 minute drive to Disneyworld Parks. Good facilities on site. At the midway point of my stay the air conditioning within the room stopped working and couldn't be fixed and due to the unbearable heat i was given a new room without delay. Wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Rixter5,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. I am sorry about your issues with the air conditioning when you were here, I am glad that we were able to move you so that it was not a problem.
Rixter5, thank you again for your feedback and if your travels bring you to Orlando again please let us know.

Springfield MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Was staying here for a conference. First off, the manager was extremely nice and accommodating. Our flight in was cancelled due to weather and we missed a night of our reservation and he didn't hassle us and took the charge off no questions asked.

The hotel itself was nice enough. The pool area was very nice and the location was good, directly across from Universal. The rooms were alright. A little outdated, the furniture looked worn down.

I also experienced a few real negatives during my stay. One was there was hair all over the shower wall (not mine) and I didn't notice it until I was in the shower. I called down to the desk asking if someone could come clean it. No one came. Late in the afternoon I called again saying I wanted to make sure this was done before my next shower....No one came. That evening I asked the manager at the front desk to take care of it. NO ONE CAME. The next morning I once again took a shower with someone elses hair smeared all over the place. Left my room as I had to go to the conference and figured OK, they'll clean it when they clean my room...Did not happen. It was still there after someone came to clean my room. I called the desk now pissed, and someone finally cam to clean it.

Second, the first morning I wake up to take a shower and the water was cold. I had to wait a half hour for someone to show up and fix the boiler making me late for my first session of the conference. Next day SAME THING! This time someone came up faster though.

The breakfast place is also insanely out of control expensive and not worth it. Do not eat there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Nicoleb610,
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. I have shared your comments with our Engineering team and our Housekeeping team. They are working to make sure items such as the cleanliness of the shower and the temperature of the water does not happen again. I am sorry that we did not respond to your initial requests for service.
NicoleB610 I am sorry about your experience and I do thank you for your feedback from the stay as it will help us improve.

Boulder, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The building looks tired on the outside, but our room was perfect and appeared to be newly renovated. The carpet and bedding were both fresh. My 9-year-old loved seeing Universal out the window (you have to ask for this view).

We walked to the theme park each day and took the free shuttle home at night. You can walk to a variety of eateries and to a drug store, meaning we didn't need a car for our stay. Because there is a mini-fridge in the room, we saved money by eating breakfast in -- yogurt, fruit, cereal and milk.

Tips:
* If you plan to use the hotel's free shuttle bus to get to Universal, book your shuttle reservation early. They fill up fast.
* You need a shuttle ticket from the hotel concierge in order to take the bus home at night.

Our critiques:
* A microwave would make the room even more usable for meals in.
* The hotel needs a "curfew" -- a time beyond which people cannot make noise in the hallways. A group on our floor was partying until the wee hours of the morning. I had to call the front desk on more than one night to report excessive noise. (To the hotel's credit: when I called, they responded quickly.)

Overall, this hotel was a great value for the money we spent. We had toyed with the idea of staying at a Universal onsite property, but decided not to spend the extra money, since we would be at the theme parks all day (and not spending much time at the hotel to make the extra expense worth it). My son says this Doubletree is his favorite hotel EVER.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room if you need more space. They seem to be a little larger.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeUniversal, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear BoulderTravelMom,
Thank you very for your feedback about your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal. We are pleased to hear that your child loved seeing Universal out of the window, I bet he woke up every day and that was the first thing he did. We are sorry about the noise in the hallway from the group on the floor. We do take each call from guest seriously and react as quickly as possible.
BoulderTravelMom, thank you again for your feedback and if your travels bring you back to Orlando again please let us know.

Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I visited the hotel because it was the location of the conference that I was attending and I felt the quality of the hotel was really sub par. For one thing, if anyone would like to have internet access, forget about it. There was only one area of the hotel in the main lobby that signal is easily accessible, and when there you have to register your room number and get only 24 hours of access. If you chose to pay for it(which I would), you can only use it on 1 device such as laptop. Cell phones and tablets or other computers would be not allowed to have access.
Also, cleanliness of the room could have been better. The plug was broken (chargers just fell right out), and the bath tub had stains on it.
On a positive note, the beds were comfortable and clean and the TV in the room was very nice. The conference center was also really conducive and the staff well trained to handle the conference.
Overall, good conference center, but rooms need an update.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
DoubletreeUniversal, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Carly F,
Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. I am sorry about your experience with the internet service; we are currently working on upgrading our internet service and should have it completed by December 7th. We are adding additional bandwidth and making it easier to log on in the public areas of the hotel. I have spoken with our engineering and housekeeping team about the issues you experienced and I am sorry about them, they will be working harder to make sure these types of items are not missed.
Carly F, thank you again for the feedback we very much appreciate it.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Wow what a great hotel. My first trip to the states and gave a great first impression of this wonderful country!! The hotel was very busy with both holiday makers and business guests. Very smart hotel, rooms huge and kept clean by the wonderful staff. Pool area large for those rest days, which you will need between parks!! All staff very helpful, in particular the guest booking staff for events, gave me and my friend great tips to save money. About 10 - 15 mins walk to Universal and Trolley stop just outside linking you to all of Orlando I Drive, the Lynx 42 bus to florida mall and Lynx 111 to Disney (jump on outside Double tree at Seaworld). Taxi to Disney around $30 depending what time you get one, but much cheaper than driving!! Enjoy!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Rebs1983,
Thank you for the five star review of your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. We are so glad that your vacation and your stay with us was great. Thank you for choosing us for your first trip to Orlando with all the choices there are you decided to stay with us and that does mean a lot to us, thank you very much.
Rebs1983 if your travels bring you back again please let us know.

Tom MacDonald

Been to Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando? Share your experiences!