“Excellent, affordable food in Orlando!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #122 of 3,180 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Seattle, Washington
“Excellent, affordable food in Orlando!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

A friend suggested this place, since he knew we liked Mexican food, but this is not your usual Mexican restaurant. The menu is extensive and interesting. I had the Camarones a la Diabla, my husband had Carnitas, and our friends had several kinds of tacos. The food is beautifully presented in reasonable portions, and everyone agreed that all of it was VERY good. The salsa could have been a little spicier for my taste, and I think that was the only criticism I had. My husband's margarita was the strangest shade of artificial green, but it tasted great. In a town where I've only had mediocre and overpriced food in the past, this was a delightful surprise.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Kissimmee, Florida
“"The Best Mexican Culinary Experience Ever!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten at Agave Azul 3 times now, and each time I am blown away by how different this restaurant is as compared to every other Mexican Restaurant that I have ever eaten at. To begin with, every visual decorative detail is modern, cutting edge, and trendy. The margarita menu is the most extensive one that I have ever seen. The background music is a varied mix of Latin tracks, not isolating to just Mexico. With regards to the margaritas, you must try the Chingon! This powerful margarita is prepared fresh by Mexican bartenders that know how to prepare a drink. Try it frozen, but be warned, designated drivers are not included with the drink. As for the menu, it is typical of Mexican fare. The preparation and presentation is surreal. This is not a fast food establishment, nor a temporarily opened restaurant. This is the best! Although all of the prices are outstanding, you should visit the first time for lunch, as the prices are even lower, while the portions surreal. Dress attire is very casual, although you will find a very mixed business attired lunch time crowd. With it's close proximity to the very affluent Windemere community, don't be surprised to find numerous politicians, and sports celebrities eating here. I have eaten besides NBA Hall of Famer Shaq O'Neal, and other members of the Orlando Magic during my visits. This was Tiger Woods favorite Mexican restaurant when he lived in Windemere. Last but not least, THE RESTROOMS! Walking towards and entering the restrooms is quite an experience. Super clean, super luxurious, and proof that one must have a clean place to clean ones hands for an eateating establishment to be at the top of their game! Bravo!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Expectations Exceeded”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I travel a lot, and have used trip advisor a bunch to get comments from fellow road warriors on restaurants hotels etc... I love authentic Mexican food and have had some excellent cuisine all over the US. Agave has it all, great service great food, the flavors were amazing. If you get the opportunity check Agave out, for the money it can't be beaten!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kent, Washington
“I was worried by the ratings drop - nothing to worry about here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We have been several times since my last review. Service is good - waiter checked back many times through out dinner. Prompt food delivery. Chips flowed as needed.

We called on a Friday night at 7PM to make reservations and they said they weren't very busy. And don't take reservations for our group size. That was a worry because every other time we have had to wait at least 20 minutes. They were able to seat us right away. However, the restaurant filled back up later and there was a wait.

Carne Asada (sp?) was okay. Burrito Loco (grilled chicken) was good. Chips are kinda bland. Margaritas are excellent. We shared a pitcher. Prices are reasonable. We will come back again.

In the past, the outside seating area had smokers. We would prefer to eat outside but not around smokers. We didn't ask if things have changed.

• Visited October 2013
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Well worth the price of admission...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We are a bit nervous when trying Mexican Rest's without any knowledge of what to expect. We were in Orlando visiting WDW and wanted some good inexpensive (and non junky) food. We gave this place a shot, and we were not dissapointed. It was fairly inexpensive and the food was pretty good. Not the best I have ever had, but well worth the price I paid. My wife and daughter are vegitarians, and I am not. There was something there for everyone. We are originally from southern CA and do not like Tex Mex. Good news - if you do, there is something there for you...if you do not...there is something there for you, too. I liked that. We enjoyed the salsa a lot. Not the best, but it was pretty darn good. My daughter thinks she is a queso expert, and she called it some of the best she has ever had - "it was real cheese!" - she loved it. My wife and I got the Guacamole as an appetizer and really enjoyed it. It tasted so fresh. All in all we were surprised and we all said (there were 4 of us) that we would go back again if we were ever in town. If this place was in my city (we live out of state) I would go there to reat regularly. 2 adults and 2 teenagers with 3 appetizers 4 complete meals a couple of drinks and we were out the door for about $80 bucks.

The service was a bit slow, but we were in no hurry and everyone was very nice.

Only downfall was the frozen margarita. It tasted like it had a fake lime flavoring in it. Neither my wife or I enjoyed it. She could not even finish it. We were dissapointed about that, but if you don't mind that type of fake flavor - it may not matter to you.

• Visited September 2013