“Excellent overall; gets expensive fast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Johnnie's Hideaway

Johnnie's Hideaway
12551 State Road 535, Orlando, FL 32836 (Lake Buena Vista)
+1 407-827-1111
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Johnnie's Hideaway is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #338 of 2,999 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients, Large groups, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Lake Buena Vista
Cross street: Crossroads Shopping Center
Description: Johnnie's Hideaway is created in the image of time honored Florida flavors with emphasis on Floribbean coastal cuisine, serving hand cut dry aged steaks, prime seafood and an extensive raw bar featuring Florida stone crab claws. Johnnie's unique tableside cart service along with an award winning wine list can be enjoyed inside surrounded by authentic Florida Highwayman art or lakeside on the tiki deck.
Ann Arbor, MI
“Excellent overall; gets expensive fast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is perhaps one of those restaurants where if you have to ask how much it cost, you should perhaps look elsewhere.

The food was excellent overall. I ate with a group and ordered a salmon dish, which was very good. The waitress, who was excellent, recommended a collection of tasty appetizers which included crab and salmon. The salmon dish was one of the least expensive items on the menu; yet after the appetizers and soup, the total cost, not including wine, was in the 70s.

In conclusion, if one if not on a budget, this is a recommended dinner choice. If one on a budget and/or is putting the meal on an expense report, I'd encourage looking elsewhere.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Jacksonville, Florida
“A favorite delivers again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

My wife and I found Johnnie's years ago and always try to have dinner there at least once on a trip to Orlando.
We had great weather but opted for the inside service anyhow. My wife is no fan of pickles (theirs are great!) so I calmed the troubled waters with an order of the truffle fried portobella mushrooms
that were outrageously good. I had been wanting a steak and my wife had the stone crabs since it was near the end of the season. Both were perfectly prepared and presented.
Johnnie's is not a budget diner but their attention to detail and overall atmosphere make the evening a nicely upscale experience, something not easily found these days.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Not as good as last year”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We are once a year visting Orlando, and up-to-now Johnnie´s Hideway was one the places we visited each time. Not only because they offer good Austrian white wine (Gruner Veltliner), but also because we liked the steaks and seafood very much. This time we went there with our friends and ordered steaks, salads and various side dishes. Everthing tasted well ,except of the steaks where too much pepper was used for the seasoning. In addition, even though ordered medium-rare the steaks were medium and already quiet cold than served. It´s a pity, let´s see how our next year´s experience will be.

Visited March 2013
Wailea, Hawaii
“Great place for seafood and steaks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Seems rare to find a place that does meat and seafood equally well. Johnnie's fit the bill for our group of 5. The food was consistently excellent including the complementary house salad and house made pickles. It's not the least expensive restaurant around, but the value is there. Around $35 for a steak including salad and mashed potatoes is quite reasonable. We splurged on a great platter from the raw bar for appetizers. The desserts looked amazing (and huge), but we were all too full. I'd return without hesitation.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
tampa, fl
“Would have been a 5 but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Got a reservation easily on a busy weekend in Orlando. Chose this b/c it was close and it is n the same family as one of our fav steakhouses, Charley's.
Our server was very eager to get our order, coming to our table many many times. (Maybe this was intended to get our young kids out of his seats!). Once the order was in, the service slid downhill, that is why I docked them a star.

We had oyster sampler - very very good
Chef sent out a special app for our table, VIP reservation -steak on a crostini
Filet was one of the BEST I have ever had (compared to Charleys and Bern's!) maybe even better than Berns!
Sides, potatoes and mushrooms were great. Salad and yummy pickles are also served.
Stone crabs were in season - soooo good - we wish they offered them warm, with drawn butter, so much better in my opinion. We did have to remind our server we ordered them (like I said the service kinda went downhill after our order)
Wine - excellent and in Orlando you can cork it & take to with you so you don't feel like you have to polish off the entire bottle!
Kids - they undercooked my son's chicken- I cut off the undercooked portion and told the server. He took it away on our finished salad plate. About 10 minutes later (maybe more), the undercooked, re-cooked portion of chicken was put back on the table - my husband and I were SHOCKED a restaurant of this caliber would re-serve food like this, but they did.
I would go back, the food is very, very good.

Oh and our young children were quieter than most of the adult diners - I am proud to say they are well trained in restaurants! If your kids are not, you may get dirty looks here! Also looks like they have a great happy hour menu!

Visited April 2013