“First Disney Resort experience” 4 of 5 stars

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1000 W Buena Vista Dr, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #178 of 328 hotels in Orlando
midwest
“First Disney Resort experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2006

Nice place. Room was in good condition and clean. The grounds are pretty cool, well kept, and clean. Not all kid Disney-ish like I expected.

Lots of variety in on-site restaurants. But all are pricey.
Certainly not within walking distance of anything. But Disney does have good bus schedules to all Disney stuff.

In-room internet is Ethernet cable only. $9.95 for 24hr. BUT read the rate card carefully. It implies that that fee will cover wireless around the pools, in the lobby and the conference center. NOT SO. Wireless is provided by another service provider and is not covered by the fee paid for in-room service.

• Liked — Weather. Nice Grounds. Well run resort.
  • Disliked — Misleading internet access fees. Pricey restaurants.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

3,224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (754)
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2006

Stayed there 8 nights. Room was big enough. A bit dated but the room was clean. It is a lovely resort, but the food let it down.
We ate out whereever we could. A long way from away, but found out where to catch local buses to take us in to Orlando and Kissimmee.

• Liked — Good transport facilities
  • Disliked — The food
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room close to the check in area, it is a very long walk if you are on the other side.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2006

Now to say this hotel is a five star would be a lie. The thing that is missing from this resort is better rooms. The rooms are just like you would get in the All Stars with the mexican theme. However, the bed we had was miles more comfortable than the ones in the All Stars. Now the positives of this place are endless. The surroundings, WOW!. This place is stunning. Has a beautiful lake at the front of the hotel and with all the greenery round you, truly spectacular. Especially at night when the place it all lit up. Now for food they have the Maya Grill, the menu looked very nice but becuase my wife is a vegetarian the options where very limited so we didn't bother. Really impressed with the option at the Pepper Market much better than just a normal food court that you find in most moderates and all stars. Food very nice and reasonably priced as well. If you eat in here you get a 10% service charge I think but if you want to take food back to your room this charge is waved I think. The bar and staff are amazing. Very friendly staff. One of the staff accidently poured two Baileys and ice when we only asked for one. Now instead of pouring the other one away they just gave us both! Very nice cocktails. To be honest I was so upset leaving this hotel, even when I was about to check in at Disney's finest hotel The Grand Floridian in the Concierge. A 5 star stay, 5 star surroundings and 4 star room. Mainly because of the view we had been upgraded to, for a lakeview. Going to stay here for 16 nights again in April. Can't wait!!!

• Liked — The surroundings
  • Disliked — The room was just average
  • Tips/Secrets — Try and stay in the Cabanas section closer to the front of the hotel with some fantastic views
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bronx, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Coronado Springs from October 8-October 14. The grounds at the Coronado are very beautiful and getting around the resort was made easy by using the go-carts that were driven by the staff. Amenties included a laundry facility and fitness center, however, walking around the grounds was great exercise and there was no need to use the fitness center. I agree with some of the other reviews that some of the staff were a bit unfriendly, but I would either switch to someone else who was willing to help me or speak to a manager.

Since I read the other reviews before leaving on my trip, my boyfriend and I did not have a meal at the resort. Since we had a car we went to international drive or other places to eat our meals. The resort had several pools--the pool with the slide was very loud with excited children going down the water slide, but the other pools were quiet---try the pool by the Rancho complex, no children and very quiet!

The hammocks in front of the Casita complex was very relaxing and always empty.

The rooms on the other hand need some upgrading or renovations. During my stay I was switched to three different rooms. On the first two nights, I was placed in a room with a double bed because there were no king size bed rooms available. On the third day, I was switched to a room with a king size bed that was handicap accessible, which meant everything was at my waist level and the bathroom had no tub just a seat with a detachable showerhead (which meant the entire bathroom floor could bet wet). I called to the front desk and was switched to a regular room with a king size bed. The beds were comfy, but the pillows are not---request extra pillows. Also, I had to call housekeeping twice because they forget to clean my room. Additionally, I called to inform them that I had a giant spider web on my door with many bugs stuck to the web--which I later cleaned myself, the room refrigerator was leaking and I had a huge wet patch on the carpet for two days and two of the light fixtures were broken which were not fixed even after we called it in. The rooms are tiny compared to other chain hotels that I have stayed in.

The great thing about staying at a disney hotel is the amenties such as having purchases delivered to the resort from the theme parks, the extra magic hours and convenience to the parks.

For my next visit to Orlando, I may stay at another moderate hotel such as the Port Orleans. If you visit the Coronado Springs and are seeking a quiet area ask for a room at the Rancho complex--though it's on the other side of the lake, after a day in the park you will appreciate to quietness.

• Liked — The resort grounds are beautiful.
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not eat on the premises, rent a car and explore international drive, Sand Lake Road and Kirkman Road for places to eat.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2006

WOW! Beautiful grounds. The biggest best pool in all of Disney resorts. Super clean rooms and grounds. Rooms were plenty large enough for 3 adults and one toddler. Nice size tub and shower . Comfortable beds( little small). Yes, This hotel is very large ... you need to walk! ALOT! I enjoy that- so if you do , its perfectly fine. The lake is heavenly, with its cute bridges and all- very warm and welcoming lobby. Check in takes a little time.
Gift shop is very good. NO SOY MILK!! thats an issue - for allergic babies etc... Not much in the means of tolietries, go shopping at Target- its close by. Maya Grill Restaurant - we waited 1 hr. to eat- our appertizers- it wasnt crowded at all!
The shrimp martini app is gross! food is good though- very good!
Two hrs, in a restaurant with a toddler isnt good! But its tasty.
expensive- but we had dinning plan! cost 140$$$ without plan for 3 adults. Thats alot in my eyes. Gym was cute- new equiptment and a spa is super small( I didnt like the spa at all.. too small.. two treatmenat rooms- This is disney?
I am in that feild- and I wasnt impressed at all with the so called spa. Its nice to offer it though for convention goers. Thursday is super full at the Coronado- Terrible- but the rest of the week was great. The pool is truely a sight- a pyrimid with a waterfall.. ita huge pool and there are smaller pools through out the complex also- the hot tub.. its so small.. only one ???
You can rent bikes, jog, play in the sand( the baby loved that)
Its great to take a break from the park and spend some time in this hotel- its truely a resort.
We would go back!!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

Our party of three stayed a week at Disney's Coronado Springs in September 2006.

This is one of Disney's moderate resorts, and is also a Convention Center. Disney's moderates are always fairly large, but this one seemed particularly spread out. It was about a 15 minute walk to our room from the main building. There were bus stops throughout the resort for getting to and from the parks, but if you wanted to get to the main building for something you either had to ride around on one of those buses, or walk.

In terms of location, this resort was convenient to EPCOT, MGM and Animal Kingdom. By bus, it is a long ride to the Magic Kingdom (20-25 minutes), so think twice if you plan on spending significant amounts of time there. The bus service itself was great: we never waited more than 10 minutes.

The room was decent size, and there were plenty of drawers for unpacking. The sink area was located outside the bathroom, and there was a privacy curtain separating that area from the rest of the room. It was a nice touch. Housekeeping was good, and after I requested additional towels our first day, they remembered to leave them daily.

We visited both the Pepper Market and lounge onsite. The Pepper Market had great food, once you got past the confusion of how to order\. The down-side was that with so many options, it meant that other members of your party had sat down and were done with their meal before you even picked yours up. Was only able to visit the lounge once, for a drink and chips/salsa. We wanted to stop other times, but found it very crowded with convention goers late afternon and evenings.

We didn't visit the themed pool, just one of the quiet pools. It was a great size and barely used at all. Although they say they do not provide towels at the quiet pools, there was a rack of them there.

There was also a fitness center a spa, but I didn't use either. I walked through the fitness center and it looked like there was plenty of equipment.

One tip: when checking out, make sure to arrange for bell services assistance well in advance. Their bell staff is limited and the resort is too spread out to handle this yourself.

Overall, I liked this resort, but there are other Disney resorts I like a lot better (Port Orleans) and would stay at those before visiting Coronado Springs again. It was just a little too spread out for me, and a bit crowded because of the conventions.

• Liked — It's a Disney owned resort, so transportation to/from parks is not an issue.
  • Disliked — Resort too large. Overcrowded because of conventions.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2006

Just got back from the Coronado...I called five days ahead of time and requested a room between bldgs 3 and 4 in the Casitas section, checked in at 12:30, rooms were ready and we got our location--this area of the hotel is quiet, the lakeview is spectacular, the health and beauty salon and a large quiet pool were about 45 seconds away, a bus stop was right behind us, and we hopped golf carts to the big dig site pool...the casitas are more toned down and "mature" mexican feel to them (no garish colors)...the dig site is great, the pool unbelievable, my husband and I went there 9 years ago on our honeymoon, and this is our third trip back! We love the pepper market, yet, it's not the cheapest place (this is disney, folks) but they do add the tip right on the bill for you. One word of caution--make you dining plans ahead of time if you got the free meal plan, we made ours 4 months before we went and it worked out great!! People not making food reservations were eating in off hours, etc. Friendly staff and great bar area, too--tons of fun!!

• Liked — views/pools
  • Disliked — high pirce at restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — stay in casita section, the nicest
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Disney's Coronado Springs Resort? Share your experiences!