“Grounds beautiful...service bad...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #178 of 328 hotels in Orlando
Grand Blanc, MI
“Grounds beautiful...service bad...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2004

Let's see...where should I start??? My son & I checked in for a 7 night stay July 3-10. Check In was a breeze and the bellman took us to our room in Ranchos 6B (great location) along with our luggage. Grounds are gorgeous and well maintained so, I thought this would be an ideal resort. That old saying goes "DON"T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER"!!! We walked in the room and there were dirty towels scattered across the bathroom floor. I called housekeeping and fresh towels arrived in about an hour. This was acceptable even though there were no apologies or anything. Upon making the reservation I requested a refrigerator. The refrigerator was not delivered for another 8 1/2 hours (yes, you still have to pay for that day). Since, we brought bottled water we went to the closest ice machine and guess what it was broken. So, I called maintenance for a quick fix. The 1st time I called it took about 5 minutes to get through to an operator. They said "I will put in a request". The next day still broken called back same thing. So, I let it go until the 4th day and I called again it took 42 minutes to get through to someone and they said the exact same thing ...I will put in a request. Needless, to say my entire stay the ice machine was never fixed! Housekeeping was not up to par. A few days they would re-hang old towels. Toiletries were not replenished everyday (I collect them from Disney and send them to a children's hospital used to make gift baskets). The intervals between buses were longer than other Disney Resorts. Pepper Market decent but, you get a better deal in the parks ($25 lunch for 1 adult 1 child). My son LOVED the main pool. Quiet pools are also nice. Both clean and well maintained. All the attention paid to the exterior should be shared with the interior portion of the resort as well as the service. Last, but certainly not least you just didn't feel that "DISNEY MAGIC". I have stayed at all the Moderate Resorts and a few Deluxe Resorts this one I will never stay at again (unless it is close to being free)!

• Stayed July 2004

3,226 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (754)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2004

We returned from our vacation with Disney and we had a blast. We were there from July 6-11th. We don't have one bad thing to say at all!!! From check-in to check-out our stay was great!

The second we checked in I requested being in the Cabanas 9B (if memory serves me), they were able to accomodate my request and had us checked in with-in a few minutes. We were just a small walk across a bridge from bus stop 1. That was a good thing. Yes the hotel campus is spread-out but I didn't think it was as bad as other folks said. We were also a little walk away from the quiet pool and of course the larger pool. The large pool was awesome, my son just loved the slides. There was never a shortage for chairs or towels, no matter what time of day you went. The most awesome part was our flight home was not until Sunday night, the hotel had luggage service that would lock up all luggage until your time to depart. That was a huge plus for us!!! It saved us from having to rent a car.

We took advantage of the bus shuttles to the parks and downtown Disney. The shuttles were awesome, the longest we had to wait was 15 minutes at MGM only because we missed the bus by about 2 minutes. So that was great!!!

The rooms were nice sized, not huge but fine for our party of three. We were always well stocked with towels and washclothes. The rooms had hairdriers, coffee pots and a ton of open space for storing luggage. We also had a refridgerator in the room, well worth the $10 a night.

We really enjoyed the Disney theme parks but them me tell you, the parks ARE NOT as big as they look on the maps. We were through the parks very quickly and we ended up missing some of the parks nightly shows because we were bored and didn't want to sit around for hours. So if you are planning to stay for the nightly shows, go to the park late morning. For some rides we had to wait in line shortly but never too bad.

I would give this resort two wonderful thumbs up as well as the Disney experience, it was amazing!

St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2004

We stayed at the Coronado from July 6-9 and were mostly pleased with this gorgeous resort despite its shortcomings. Yes, it is very spread out, but the grounds are beautiful along the stroll and it took us 5 minutes to walk to the Dig site, Pepper Market and restaurant. We were fortunate to stay at the Cabanas, 9A and near bus stop 4, which is very convenient to take to the parks and Downtown Disney. Our room was quite nice, offering coffee pot, iron and blow-dryer. There is a lot of storage space for your belongings, even with our family of four (2 adults, 2 children). The sink is separate from the bathroom, and has a privacy curtain which you can pull so as not to disturb the others. I recommend taking advantage of early entry for resort guests to the parks. During 4th of July week we were able to enter the Magic Kingdom at 8:00am on a Thursday and were able to knock out 6 rides that first hour. We stayed until noon, and returned about 6:00pm when the crowds started dying off. We never waited long for a ride.

The down side: Disney did nothing to recognize our little boy’s 5th birthday, even though we mentioned it during check-in where the front desk specifically asked for the information. They only came to clean our rooms very late in the afternoon, when they knocked on our door while we were trying to nap after a hot morning at the park. She handed us some towels and never returned. The cost of anything at the resort is unbelievable. We are fortunate that we could afford to stay at this resort, yet it is sad to think that most people can’t. It cost us $35.00 for the four of us to have lunch (hamburgers). If you wanted to purchase a can of soda from the vending machine it costs $2.50 for a 12oz can. Disney offers no discount for anyone, and it is obvious it is all about the money. Shame on you Disney!!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2004

The Resort is very Grand. The perfect place for what it is designed for. Conventions and Business meeting. We have stayed on Disney properties for the past 3 years and thought we would try a moderate resort rather than our value resorts. If you want the peace and quite, a beautiful pool, good selection of food at the market place. You will need a little time on your hands because it is soo spread out. Here is how I compare it to the value resorts. Starting with the parking. The front desk suggested that we park near Bus pick up number 2[they have 4 pick ups] The bus lanes are a lot closer at each of the theme parks.
After our first walk to the room we decided that this would not work out, since it was 3 tenths of a mile to the room. Not a big deal unless you have just spend a day at a theme park. The room was great and we had a wonderful view of the lake and the rest of the resort. They have 2 pools, one was near our room. Nice but nothing that said Mickey was near by. The other is very nice with great decor. the pictures at web site tells it all on the pool area. The pool was open from 8 am til 12 midnight. We thought that on our last night we would enjoy the pool, very large hot tub and the snack bar with lounge. Well at 8:30 on a Friday night at a Disney Resort with a half of a mile walk to our room. We find out that the snack bar is shutting its doors. This was not a good thing and we heard several negative comments from familys at the pool with their $12.00 free refill mugs with a long walk between refills. Forget about purchasing the refill mugs if you are staying here. It reminds me of the Soup Nazi episodes from Seinfeld. When you enter to get your refills you will encounter no less that 2 people to get past with your drink cup. They was handing out either tickets for refills or tickets for ordering. Too much hassle for a cup of Coffee. Save the money and use the pot in your room. And upsetting for my wife and daughter was that at the value resort you could get Hot chocolate in your free refill mug. At this resort it will be a small cup and will cost you 3 dollars. Coronado is grand for a lot of people, But my Disney experience could not be more grand than a value resort stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2004

My fiance' and I currently stayed at the Coronado Springs Resort, and had the most amazing time. Our stay was from May 21 - May 23. I wasn't aware that we had reservations there until we went to check in. My fiance' proposed to me at Magic Kingdom that Friday, and as soon as he did, he surprised me by telling me where we were staying. We left right away and went to the hotel for check in. The staff was WONDERFUL!!! Everyone was very happy and congratulated us quite a bit. When we left the room to go down to the pool, a staff member went into our room and put balloons and a card w/ a picture of Minnie & Mickey that says "Congratulations on your engagement." Very sweet!!!
We had planned on our friends coming down the following night. My best friend and her boyfriend had reservations for a different Disney hotel, and ended up getting a room at Coronado Springs after visiting us there. My fiance' friend ended up getting a room there too.
The rooms were a good size, and had everything we needed. A bonus to the room was the curtain that seperates the room from the bathroom area, so you have a dressing room and don't have to disturb anyone else. The maid service was fantastic. We had the "do not disturb" sign on the door, and the manager left us a message to make sure everything was alright and to call them when we were ready to have it cleaned...no matter the time.
The area was BEAUTIFUL!!! The pool area was great, and has everything you could possibly need for kids. I especially enjoyed the "beach". That was nice and close to our rooms, so I really enjoyed walking and going down to the hammocks. I loved the scenery of flowers and trees with the bridge. Not to mention...bunnies hopping around at all hours of the night. =)
We didn't try the one restaurant everyone is talking about, but we did have dinner at the Maya Grill and it was great!!! We had an appetizer, steaks, bottle of champagne, and it was all GREAT!!!
The ONLY complaint I have is that the ice machine was about an 8 minute walk from our room. Other than that..it was PERFECT.
Oh, and one more complaint...I didn't get to stay long enough!!
~~TRY THIS HOTEL~~

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2004

Okay. Just retruned from a 7 night stay at the CS (June 24th - July 1st). Very nervous before the trip because we stayed at the Yacht Club last trip and it was excellent and the reviews of the CS were mixed. There were 6 of us on this trip (2 adults and 4 kids ages 13, 12, 10 and 7). Here is my objective review and some tips to enjoy your stay at the CS:

The rooms: Larger than expected and very clean and functional. Lots of amenities (hair dryer, coffee maker, high-speed Internet access) because it's a convention hotel. Lots of storage and a screen that seperates the bathroom dressing area from the room so you can get ready and not wake anyone sleeping in the room. We had adjoining rooms, so for $300/night we had a 650 sq. foot suite with two bathrooms and 4 double beds. The only downside is where you end-up. I think Cabanas 8A or 8B are the best buildings (we were in 8B). Very close to bus stop #4 and the main pool. Only a 5 minute walk to El Centro. Suggest you fax a request for a specific room to the room coordinator 4 days in advance. Downside is that stop #4 is the last one so you are on the bus for an extra 5 minutes each trip. Overall, the bus service is hit or miss. Waits ranged from 1 minute to 20 minutes.

The resort: Beautiful grounds. Pool is fantastic for kids. They loved the slide and sitting on the steps of the temple. Bought refillable mugs which was great savings tip. Everyone that worked there was ultra helpful and friendly. Check-in was a little slow because they spend a lot of time with each guest getting the card keys ready and explaining the resort. Our housekeeper played hide-and-seek games with our kids' stuffed animals. We tipped her a few dollars every day. The kids could not wait to see what she had done each day. Great gift shop, arcade and convenience store on-site. We even did a load of laundry. Tip: Check your bags out front before checking in and use the golf carts to get to your room the first time, so you don't get lost.

Eating: Here is a big tip -- bring one extra suitcase filled with snacks for the park (cheese crackers, pretzels, granola bars, etc.). Then use the extra suitcase to ship home all the presents you bought at the parks. Also bring plastic bowls and spoons along with a collection of small cereal boxes. Every night I went to the convenience store in El Centro and bought a quart of milk and some OJ. I put them in the ice bucket and filled them with ice. Then in the morning the kids ate cereal and we were on our way. Great time and $$ saver. You can also buy a great assortment of muffins and pastries from the Pepper Market express window. We ate one lunch at the pool and the food was great. I agree that unless you have a lot of time and $$$ you should skip the Pepper Market. We ate there on our last day and even though the food was very good, the place it was confusing, crowded and expensive. Eat at the parks or the CS pool.

Other: The pool is not as good as the Yacht Club, but I liked the freedom of having our own place rather than waiting for an elevator every morning. Our kids loved the Disney Water Parks -- get to there early and try both of them. Overall, the Coronado Springs is a great resort for the value. It's not for everyone, if you like a full service hotel all in one building, with no walking and want to eat in a restaurant every morning and afternoon, this is not the place for you. If you have kids and are looking for a convenient place to stay that allows you the freedom to maximize your time in the parks and not spend a lot of $$ (without going the low-priced All-Star Resorts route) this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed June 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2004

I was really nervous about staying here after reading so many of the reviews. However, I was pleasantly surprised. We just returned from our Disney trip w/ 2 kids (4 and 15) and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Positives:
-I found the staff to be VERY friendly right from the get go.
-Whoever said that housekeeping doesn't add the "extra" touches for the kids? We came home one evening to find that hk assembled our youngests' disney dolls, etc. in the window - Woody hanging from the curtains was a big hit.

-We stayed in Ranchos 6A, bus stop 3 (actually 2 for the circuit on site). Granted, it's a walk to the front. However, I enjoyed the time in the morning to take a 10 min. walk to get coffee - it has beautiful grounds. I also saw plenty of people being shuttled back to their rooms on golf carts - staff is happy to do that.

-We were very close to the dig site and pool. Get there at 10 am and the kids get to help turn on the fountain on the temple. Big hit! The pool is nice w/ some shaded areas. My kids (and us) wouldn't leave the slide! Clean locker rooms, nice playground and hot tub.

Negatives:
-I wouldn't stay near bus stop 1 or 4 (1 especially)if getting to the parks in the morning is important- while you're close to the main building, folks there got screwed trying to get on certain buses in the am (the only am we went to a park)- or standing room only and very crammed. If this is a priority to you, I would request a room near bus stop 2 or 3.

-Rooms are small, but again, you're not living in 'em.

-Also, while we thought the added touches were nice w/ the dolls, toward the middle of our stay I thought hk could have done a better job - never replenished tissues, left a cleaning towel in our room...(as I found, it was not the same woman that did the dolls).

-And, yes...the Pepper Market is overpriced. However, we only ate there one night. With so many options, why stay & eat at the hotel??? :) However, waiters were VERY pleasant. We loved Ashby!

TIPS FOR AN ENJOYABLE STAY:

Get a fridge for $10.60/day and buy water/snacks @ Panchitos or La Tienda.

Also, def. get the refillable mugs. You'll save $.

And...we enjoyed hanging @ the pool during the day & doing the parks in the late afternoon - buses less crowded & parks too (Also not as HOT)! :).

Feel free to email me w/ any ?'s Have fun! - Kristin

Been to Disney's Coronado Springs Resort? Share your experiences!