“Excellent Overall Experience - A few minor complaints” 4 of 5 stars

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1000 W Buena Vista Dr, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #190 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Deerfield Beach, Florida
“Excellent Overall Experience - A few minor complaints”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Overall, Coronado Springs was fantastic. We only stayed one night, but I would have liked to stay a few extra nights. We came for my sons 8th birthday. He wanted to go to a hotel with a fun pool and water slide. The reviews I read were mixed, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was very happy and will likely return. I was traveling with my husband and 2 boys, ages 4 and 8. Some of the reviews suggested Disneys Caribbean Beach over Coronado Springs for families with smaller kids, but my son wanted Coronado (because of the "pyramid" pool), so thats what we chose. I actually went to Caribbean Beach the following day to check it out, and I'm glad we stayed at Coronado.

I did the online check in the night before. Trying to figure out online check-in was a pain in the butt, however because I got it done, check in at the resort things went smoothly. The online check in line was shorter, so I'm glad I did it that way! We arrived at the resort EARLY, at about 11am, and despite check in not being until 4:00, they had a room ready for us already! So that was great. I was slightly disappointed because I had requested a room close to the "feature pool' at the "Dig Site", and I don't think we could have been FURTHER away, but it was a request, and wasn't guaranteed. I was told all the other rooms were full. We only paid for a standard room (maybe the closer rooms are preferred? Im not sure!). Our room was in building 4, Casitas, 4th floor, corner room. Either way, the lady at check in told me it was a 4 minute walk, and she was on the money there. I timed it. (I actually used an app on my phone, it was .4 miles one way, and a 4 min walk when I was alone - a little slower with my 2 kids). Now - I have to say, the walk to the feature pool did get really annoying and tiring after about the 4th time!. We must have walked back and forth to our room 10 times in one day. Add up the miles and your talking 4 miles a day. I guess we didn't have to make the walk so many times, but with kids, you end up back and forth a lot between one needing a nap, one forgetting something in the room, etc...
We didn't visit any theme parks on this trip, but I can see how it would be even more exhausting if we had. For that reason, I don't think I would stay here if we were going to theme parks. Its all just too spread out! It was also .33 miles to where all the restaurants were from our room. Thats not THAT bad... but having a refillable mug would be kind of pointless. Are you really going to walk a 3rd of a mile to refill your coke? I really think the walking was the worst part... but on the flip side, the grounds are gorgeous! The walks are NICE if you can be leisurely about it and aren't in a rush I suppose. I kept wondering why they didn't have some sort of golf cart/ tram service, traveling around the lake to give people rides from point a to point b. I think so many guests would really appreciate something like that!

Our room was nice size. The beds are SO comfortable. We were on the 4th floor, which is not my favorite place to be, but we had a good view of the "fantasma" show at Hollywood Studios. We could also see Tower of Terror from our room. The refrigerator in our room didn't feel like it was working no matter how cold I put it, but I never complained because we only were putting a few waters in there.

If you don't feel like walking far, and just want to take a dip, there are smaller pools located close to all the buildings. Just no slides or hot tubs! We never used it - the kids wanted the slide! IF it had just been me and my husband, we would have.

Now the feature pool was awesome. It was big. It was pretty. The slide was loads of fun. They had life jackets for my youngest (which I appreciated). And the lifeguards were really watching. They also had a small splash pool for little ones. My only "complaint" about the pool is that the pool deck got REALLY hot - burn your feet, blistering hot. It was also very slippery in spots. (I saw one woman fall on a slippery spot, and I almost did as well at one point) I'm surprised Disney couldn't spring for "Stay cool", non slip, decking. Just walking from my pool chair to the water slide and I felt like the bottom of my feet were blistering!
At the feature pool area, there was also a fun playground for the kids, a ping pong table, a vollyball court, an arcade, and a hot tub.

The food at the snack bar was yummy and not too overpriced. We had nachos that really hit the spot. And my boys and I shared a burger that was plenty big enough for all 3 of us. The drinks on the other hand, were not all that impressive. Weak and expensive. I had a foo foo pina coloda... and I'd swear it was a virgin if they hadnt charged me for the one with alcohol in it. And it was premade, which was disappointing. If I'm paying $10 for a frozen drink, at least blend it in front of me.

We went for Dinner at the Pepper Market. The food was ok. Average priced for Disney. The 4 of us shared... we had 1/2 a BBQ Chicken that came with potatoes, veggies and cornbread, a 1/2 rack of ribs with the same sides as the chicken, and a Caesar Salad. All were tasty. Its buffet style, no servers - so you get your tray and go to the area you want food from, order, get a ticket stamped, and take your food to your table to eat. I'm not sure, but the "chef" where we ordered from was either mentally handicapped or on some hard core drugs. I'm not joking or being mean, but something was not right. He didn't seem handicapped - (appearance wise) so I'm thinking he had to be on drugs. We were there at a very slow time, there were hardly any other customers there. First off, he was moving in SLOW MOTION. No joke. THEN, He took my order ("half a chicken platter and half a rack platter please"), makes my chicken plate. Puts it down. Walks away to get more cornbread. Comes back to the station. And stares at me like hes never seen me before. He says "can I help you?" I say "Um, yea? I'm waiting on 1/2 a chicken and half a rack". He starts to plate another half chicken for me - when the first one was RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. I tell him - hey - you already made that. He mumbles something along the lines of oh yea.. and finally gets me the rest of our food. Other than that though (which was actually quite comical), the food was decent. Nothing to brag about, but nothing to complain about either. Our bill was $51 with the three items and 2 sodas. Pricey, but not too too bad.

That night we went back to the pool. My boys loved using the slide and night swimming. The snack bar closes at 7pm... which I think is dumb. The pool was PACKED at 9pm.. and I'm sure we weren't the only people wishing it was open. We were starving when we got back to our room, but at this point too tired to walk the 3rd of mile back to the only OPEN food spot, so we just went to sleep!

The next morning we had to check out at 11am. I woke up at about 7 (typical I think for families with kids) and walked to get us muffins, bagels, coffee, and milk for breakfast at Cafe Rix. I went alone while my husband and kids stayed in bed a little later. When I got back, we ate, put on bathing suits, and went right back to the feature pool. I thought for SURE it would be open but of course it wasn't. So we had to wait around until 9am... ANNOYING. Why on earth would the pool not be open at 8am? There were actually at least 5-8 other familes waiting as well. I was told we could use the pool by our building until 9. But we certainly didn't want to walk back and forth AGAIN. And we really just wanted to use the big pool and slide for a couple more hours until check out. I just don't get it. Its summer. The main attraction pool should be open by 8. We had to check out. Other families might want to have a quick swim before going off to the theme parks. I just think thats stupid. Yes, you can use the pool all day, even after check out, but we also didn't want to have to dress and change in bathrooms. We just wanted a little more fun before we headed back home. Oh well.

Anyhow - Like I said, except for a few minor things - I think Coronado Springs is a gorgeous resort, I would definitely come back, but NOT if visiting theme parks. I can see why some families of smaller kids would like Caribbean Beach better, but I think Coronado Springs was nicer... and BOTH were huge and would require tons of walking.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra if it means getting a room near the feature pool. The walking is a LOT.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (891)
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Had an amazing but short (2 nights) trip to Disney and stayed at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort with my 20 yr old daughter. My first time at Disney. we both loved it. Washroom in the room was private for her which was good. Room was clean and bright but really you aren't there much anyways. Am a coffee lover so would definitely recommend getting the refill deal at the snack/restaurant area or it can get expensive. Room was qite far from main part of hotel but we just drove over in the am for coffee/breakfast and the bus service was great from out front of our room area. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Get a room close enough to walk to main part of Hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stayed at the Coronado for four nights and we were very impressed with this property. We have stayed at all levels of Disney hotels and this one was near the top. The Aztec theme with the lake and walking trail and large themed pool are fantastic. We were in building 8 and the walk to breakfast took us 5 min. Yes the property is large but we do more walking in the parks then here. Convenient bus stops but they do fill up quick which might mean a wait for another. The room was clean. We liked the sliding doors for the bathroom sink area for privacy. Shower/toilet area is very small. Seems like they need to update their mattresses as they were not comfortable. Food court quick service for muffins, pastries, good for breakfast but the food court was terrible. Again I wonder why Disney doesn't offer the same quality of food they do at the parks as they do in the food court. Overall I would recommend this hotel. Great customer service. Also if you need help getting your bags to your room they have golf cart bell men that will take you to them.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

This was a great hotel to stay at for one reason it is Mexican and Spain style this is nice :) and their food is very AWSOME!! It tastes amazing and their rooms smell good and feel spashes I think this hotel is a 5 star hotel it has good views and at night el control lights up over the water I think that is amazing I RELLY like this Mexican themed hotel

Room Tip: Have a room that lookes over el centrol
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Our group of 9 stayed at Coronado Springs from May 29 to June 2, 2014. We really enjoyed our stay. The rooms, (we were in Cabana Building 8A,) while slightly small by current standards, were very nice and well appointed, very clean and quite comfortable. Really, is a fancy room necessary? For our trip, the only time we were in the room was to sleep or shower or change clothes. You don't go to Disney World to stay in a room. You go for the parks and the outdoor activities. Most every day, we started early, (8:30-9) and returned late (9 PM to 1:00 AM). The one day we got in early, (7ish,) we went to the big pool and swam till late. So, paying for a posh room would have been a waste for us. My belief on WDW is you go to run the parks till close. You don't go for a fancy room to only spend a few hours a day. My only complainant on the room, was it didn't have a nice sitting easy chair. Because of my back, I don't like sitting on a bed propped up. I would have liked a chair. But that isn't enough to downgrade the review. I will say, we really liked the beds. They were very comfortable. Someone we talked to, told us Coronado Springs had the best beds at WDW. I have no way to confirm that, but we found them very comfortable. We slept great.

The rooms were very very clean. The resort cleaned the rooms every day with new linens and bath towels etc. They worked hard to keep the place clean. And the grounds of the resort are just beautiful. They too are very clean. Walt Disney's rule of trash cans being about 30 steps from a person at any given time are pretty much carried over to the resorts and as such, they are very clean with beautiful grounds, lawns, ponds and other water features and blooming plants. It was like being in a garden.

The main builds are very nice and hold a great store, two sit-down restaurants, a cafeteria type restaurant and a snack shop/bakery. We used all of them and the food was quite good. The eateries and shop are a few minute walk from the rooms, but as someone else said...I averaged walking about 4.5 miles a day at each park (per my Jawbone UP fitness band) so walking 5 minutes to dinner and snacks isn't that outrageous. The grounds are so beautiful, I enjoyed the walk. The weather was great, with nice breezes, so I enjoyed the stroll. And, in each cabana building, there was a pop machine and an ice machine, so if I didn't feel like taking the walk, I could go there, and did. There are 4 bus stops at Coronado Springs where you catch a bus to each park, or the water parks, or Downtown Disney. And you could, if you want, ride the bus over to the building housing the restaurants if you wanted. Our room was only a couple hundred yards from the bus stop so that was very convenient.

I have done a WDW vacation staying off resort at a non-Disney condo and now have done WDW staying on their property, and I will never do WDW again without staying on premises. That makes the trip so much easier. Before, we had to rent a car to get from the airport to the accommodations, and then to drive to the parks. We had to drive ourselves to breakfast and/or dinner. And then back to the airport, turn in the car and make all our arrangements. By staying on property, we checked our bags here at our local airport. WDW sent us baggage tags that we affixed at home. Once we checked our bags at the local airport, we didn't have to fuss with them again. And when we got to our room, our bags were there waiting for us, in our room. When we left, we checked our bags at the Coronado Springs departure office there in the main building, and they handled the rest. The bags were waiting for us at the luggage carousel at our local airport when we got home. WDW picked us up at the airport, and took us to the resort. And they transported us from the resort to the airport. Additionally, we could catch a bus from our Cabana to each park, water park and Downtown Disney. It was just great. Never had to worry about driving or parking. That saves so much time an hassle. I loved this aspect. The main reason to stay on property. I will always stay on property.

We had a great time, and we loved Coronado Springs. It was a great, fun time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Manhattan, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed here for vacation and it was an amazing resort. The cast members were friendly and the resort was very clean. They were able to help us with some issues that we had, in a fast and positive way (they didn't make it feel like we were bothering them). The outside of the resort is landscaped and looks very nice and clean.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

this is great hotel for everything,good sevice,friendly,clean,im fell happy from here,we have free time here togerther,staff from hotel very friend,we will be back here with to many friend,we can shopping to manything near here,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Coronado Springs Resort? Share your experiences!