“Look Elsewhere for Disney Magic” 3 of 5 stars

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1000 W Buena Vista Dr, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #187 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Denver, CO
“Look Elsewhere for Disney Magic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I had a work conference at the Swan and Dolphin Resort, which I loved. My family was joining me though mid-week to check out Disney, so I decided to book a more "kid-friendly" resort for the family and chose the Coronado Springs Resort. As soon as we got there, all the computers were down so they could not check us in, and we could not take our luggage to our rooms. That was a pain. We stored our luggage and went to the parks. When we got back that evening at 10:00 PM, the computers had JUST come back online. Ridiculous. We got checked in and a golf cart shuttle took us to our rooms. The rooms were dark, musty, and felt dirty to me. They were badly in need of some renovations. The carpeting had random wet spots on it, which was disgusting and we couldn't figure out what was causing them. The beds were just OK. The grounds were very nice and I had some nice morning jogs around the lake. The health club was very nice also. I liked that there were several coin laundry facilities on site in case you needed to do laundry, which is a must if you have small children. We were in building 5 and it took forever to walk to the restaurants. Also, if it's raining, too bad! There are no covered ways to get around this resort. You just have to walk through the rain. Honestly the whole place had a bit of a motel feel to it. The restaurants were OK, but not great. Rix was convenient and had several items you could just pick up and take to your room. Pepper Market always had long lines and the food was bland and not very high quality. Also, sometimes the buses came quickly to get us to the parks, and other times we were waiting for up to 40 minutes. This is totally unacceptable. If you've been to Disney you know you have to get there early during the high season to get your Fast Passes in order before they all sell out. Losing 40 minutes to an hour waiting for a bus is outrageous. One redeeming factor is that the cast members at the resort were very friendly and helpful.

If you want some Disney magic, look elsewhere. The Swan and Dolphin were beautiful, had easy and accessible transportation tot he parks, were closer to everything, and have high-quality restaurants. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Buildings 5-8 are closer to the pool. Buildings 1-3 and 9 are closer to the restaurants. Buildings 8...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (926)
Tifton, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We've stayed at CS several times, the most recent in late April, early May, 2013. We skipped lunch and rushed down to arrive at 3 pm check-in, but our room wasn't ready. Really? So rather than wait 1 to 1 1/2 hours for our room, we ended up with a room further away from El Centro. To make amends, the clerk asked which floor we preferred...I replied ground. We were given a 4th floor room :-(. Every morning the TV pic was frozen; front desk told me due to the rain, I had to unplug and plug it back in to reset it. One night our bathroom floor was flooded due to leaking toilet, so we were two hours later getting showers and going to bed that night.
Now that other moderate resorts have queen beds (Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside), why would anyone choose to stay here???

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ocala, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

First, I'd like to say that I agree with other travelers that have commented on the dark, damp smelling rooms at this hotel. The bathrooms are severely dated and the rooms definitely are less impressive than I would have expected from Disney. These are more along the lines of an average Motel, not a mid-level Disney hotel.

Secondly, my colleagues and I booked rooms 3 months in advance at the hotel for a week-long medical conference held there. We paid deposits for preferred rooms at the time of booking, which we assumed would guarantee the rooms we chose. The reservations were confirmed a week prior to our arrival with requests for adjoining and nearby rooms also confirmed. We were told that the adjoining room request could not be guaranteed, but that the request would be considered. We did online check-in 3 days prior to arrival. When we arrived on-site to pick-up keys to our rooms, only one room was checked-in and was the preferred room that we reserved. The other room was neither checked-in online or in the preferred building as requested. When management double checked the reservation, they said that it had been changed by someone at the hotel, and that they could not tell why. After speaking with a manager, Robby, and requesting that this be corrected, we were told that there were no other rooms available at the paid for and reserved preferred level and that if I wanted to be near my colleagues, I'd have to down-grade my room to the non-preferred level. As we were at the hotel for a conference and not simply for a personal vacation, we had no choice but to check-in and accept the rooms as offered. However, we expected more from a Disney facility.

The next few days showed that this was not an uncommon occurrence with our conference group. Speaking to other conference attendees brought out the fact that there were others within our group who had the same problem. This type of customer service shows a lack of care for the attendees of our conference group. I'm recommending that the organizers from our conference choose another facility for future meetings.

The next day after checking into the Coronado Springs resort, we found and fell in love with a gorgeous NON-disney hotel, 3 minutes away, at Bonnett Creek for the same price as the preferred room at CS. We checked out of this Disney hotel and moved directly into the available room at this other hotel. When we explained that we were transferring from the Coronado Springs and needed the room at 1:00 instead of at the 4:00 check-in time, the front desk checked availability and checked us right in honoring all our room requests. That was the customer service we expected from Disney, but did not receive.

Disney, I'm very disappointed in the service we received at Coronado Springs and neither I nor my colleagues will be staying at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My family and I are frequent Disney visitors, always staying at a Disney resort. My husband and I planned a couple only, no children vacation for the 2 of us and chose Coronado Springs. We were very excited for this vacation, but I can say have left feeling a bit disappointed. Drink station was a joke...always out of the drink we wanted, only 2 stations for all the people that use it, so super long lines. The rooms were so-so, but very uncomfortable bed. We chose this resort because of the boat rentals, only to get there and find out they are closed down. There was a nice bar outside and a great pool, but nothing that is more special than the other resorts that we have stayed at. My best advise...for the money, stay at Port Orleans Riverside! I know from now on, that is where we will be staying. Cleaner, neater, more to do, and the boat rides from the resort to Downtown Disney are great. OH, and it is less money. Now, for all the complaining, a bad hotel at Disney is better than a great hotel away from Disney! This just isn't one of the best that Disney has to offer for the moderate price range resorts.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

What an awesome pool, the property is huge so expect some walking, but the walk is beautiful. The food court is awesome with so many choices that you could eat there for lunch and dinner and never eat the same thing twice all week, and that will save you a lot of money. Great property but the bus service seemed to be slower than other properties I have stayed at Disneyworld.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is our 4th stay at Coronado and it just keeps getting better! When we checked in the guy said "welcome home!" We request a room and that building was booked but he said the one he gave us was even better. It was, closer to the food court but the bus stop was further away but not bad. This is a big resort and they have conventions there a lot, but since it is large you don't really notice the crowd. The rooms are large and really clean. Updated nicely with super comfy beds. We have stayed at many of the resorts on Disney property and keep coming back to this one. LOVE it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Miami, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This Hotel exceeded our expectations. My husband, our two daughters and I stayed there for three days. The girls loved the pool and played there until late every night. They offer different activities including roasting marshmallows and movie night (every night of the week). This hotel is a big property and some rooms are far from the main building. Our room was on the first floor, not too far from it or the main pool. We had a great service overall. We had breakfast at the pepper market and some nights just grabbed something quick at Café Rix. At the Pepper market, they offer a variety of food, from waffles, pancakes to omelets, muffins, fruit, etc. Our room was always clean and it was very quiet; even though it was near to another pool. Parking was free. Buses that take you to the parks come very often, we waited approx. 10 to 15 min. We enjoyed our stay very much.

Room Tip: Building 9A is close to the main building.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Coronado Springs Resort? Share your experiences!