“Nice for conventions and a break from reality” 4 of 5 stars

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1000 W Buena Vista Dr, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #191 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Evansville, Indiana
“Nice for conventions and a break from reality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a great convention hotel and a wonderful resort to simply relax. I could have researched a bit more to get a better room location. Instead of blaming the resort, I take full responsibility. Shame on me for not upgrading to a preferred room! I think I would have enjoyed our stay even more. My kids did love the resort, but our walk to the main pool was very long (or maybe my feet were just shot). We stayed in Casitas 2. I believe if we stayed in Ranchos or even Casitas 5, my experience would have been a bit better. I loved the dark wood appointments to our room.

I did take my lack of research into consideration when creating this review. I loved our room location, except for the distance to the main pool. We were on the first floor facing the parking lot. What made this wonderful was the beautiful garden just outside our room. There are plenty of benches for relaxing and lush plants. I can't begin to explain how peaceful it was to just sit on the bench with my eyes closed and zone out for a few minutes. I had just survived a very rough spot at work, so this weekend trip with my children was exactly what I needed.

Keep in mind that prices for food are going to be a bit higher than normal Disney prices at this resort since many visitors are on per diem's with their companies. I have had nothing but wonderful experiences at the Pepper Market. It is a combination counter/table service restaurant. Select your food from one of the stations and then you are seated at a table. It was really nice not needing to get up from our seat to get a soda refill after a long day in the park. I believe that the Pepper Market provides a great value and there are plenty of choices for your family.

The main pool area is very scenic. We enjoyed watching the water on the replica Mayan pyramid. It made for some great pictures.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely!

Fast forward a bit to the recent Princess Half Marathon for a review on the convention facilities:

During past PHM's the expo has been held at the Wide World of Sports. I can't stand WWoS. I'm sure it is great for some events, but I thought it was kinda ridiculous to hold an expo so far away from, well, everything. I think the Coronado's convention facilities are fabulous for events like the expo. While at Disney for the race, we stayed at Old Key West. All car traffic to CSR was prohibited unless you were staying at CSR. At first, we thought this would be a problem, but it wasn't at all. Extra buses were set up for transportation to the convention center. I have to commend Disney - they are amazing with moving people and traffic. They did a wonderful job getting the traffic in and out of the resort. I was concerned on the size of the convention center compared to the 25,000+ participants. Packet pickup was simply magical. I literally waited for about 5 minutes and had my packet. I normally can't stand the expo at all, but this was quite tolerable. It was also nice that we could walk down a corridor and have a bite to eat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went to the Coronado Springs resort instead of our usual (Riverside) because several friends and family members said it is their favorite of the moderate resorts at Disney. While it is a nice hotel, I can't see why anyone would make this their favorite. The rooms are cute and modern, so that's a plus. Also, the central lake is nice and peaceful to go for a walk or to sit by and relax. Other than that, there didn't seem like much to do here for us. There is not much to see like there are at some of the other resorts. I also didn't like how the internal area of the resort was nice, but then the outside portion of the buildings face huge, vast parking lots. I would not want to pay $200 for a parking lot view. It reminded me of a mall parking lot because it was so large. Also, the bus stops were out in the sun with a little coverage, but again- nothing to see here. At some of the other moderate resorts at least the bust stops are surrounded by nature and give you something to look at while you're waiting. The resort does have great margaritas, though, and they have a spa for those who are interested. The breakfast buffet is good. If you are someone who feels that the rooms are more important than the grounds, you may love it here.

We also had several issues upon check in. They first texted us (while we were at the theme park) and told us our room was ready. Then when we got back to the hotel, and our room keys didn't work. We had hauled our luggage all the way across the mammoth parking lot and had to use the restroom. After calling the front desk (the resort is HUGE) they said they needed to change our room. So, we hauled our luggage over to another building. Once we opened the door, we quickly saw that there was some mistake- there was cement plaster in buckets all over the room and other construction equipment. Apparently, someone had given us the room that the construction workers outside were using (who would want a room outside of a mini-construction area anyway?). We called again and were told that was not possible because those room numbers were totally removed from their system and they could not have given us that room. We explained that we were indeed given the room and our keys were even activated and let us. Finally, they gave us another room (which they did upgrade to a lake view room for free) and we had no further problems.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Table Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

After reading some reviews about the walking distance from your room to a place to eat I decided to get a preferred room and I am glad I did. The hotel is placed between a lake and parking lots so this causes it to be spread out. The room was clean, up to date and roomy. We stayed in the casitas 3 but on the far side so we walked behind and across the parking lot to bus station 2, which was the first to get picked up and first dropped off. The food at the pepper market was pretty good and I had no problems figuring out what to do as others had stated. You get a punch card, take it and have it stamped when you pick your food and the waitress uses it to make your bill out, no problem. The staff was very courteous and helpful. It is a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Use preferred rooms. Use bus stop #2.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Great stay on site. I arrived at 12n no problem my room was ready. Checkin was a walk thru due to online checkin, the whole process took maybe ten minutes and that was because the printer messed up. The room was nicely decorated; however a little dark for my taste. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. the bathroom area is split with the sinks on the outside but this area can be shut off with gliding doors. I thought the flat screen TV was a little small for the room but that is just me. The room itself reminded me of a upgraded Holiday Inn which is not a bad thing but I guess I was expecting better. The main pool area is an awesome themed Ruins site with a huge Aztec temple complete with "vines"all around it. The pool area also has a huge hot tube that stays open to midnight along with the pool to allow a long dig at night after the parks. It was nice staying on site with the transportation to the parks provided but it took twice as long to get to the parks than if I had driven. All in all it was a nice stay in a beautiful resort but I am still not sure it was worth the extra money to stay on site.

Room Tip: If you are a pool user be such to ask for a room near the "dig site" because this is a hug...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Newcastle, Wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This hotel is exactly average. There is nothing special here. The decor is dated, the rooms are dated, the food is average. I felt as though I could have been at a Best Western in Missouri. We used the room only for sleeping as taking a mid-day break from the parks and heading back to your hotel room for some relaxation doesn't make as much sense here as it does in Disneyland. Mostly because to get from hotel to park and park to park is about 45 minutes to an hour in wait for the bus and travel time.
The staff was accommodating and I truly have no complaints. The stay wasn't spectacular, nor were there any issues. I really wouldn't want to pay more than $100 per night for this location.
The best thing I can say about staying here is that by staying at a Disney property we had access to Extra Magic Hours and even on a busy holiday weekend it felt as though we had the park to ourselves until 2 am.

Room Tip: I would recommend working with the front desk staff to secure a room close to one of the four bus st...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at Coronado Springs during the Princess Half marathon because the expo was held there and transportation was provided to the event from there. We were comfortable and enjoyed our stay because we love Disney World and were so excited about the events we had planned that week. We had minor complaints about the hotel, but none were enough to spoil our fun. But this is NOT the premium vacation experience one expects (and pays for) at Disney.
The grounds were pretty and well cared for. The room was comfortably spacious, but the lighting was terrible, the furnishings were old and sparce, and the TV was tiny and Disney Jr. is not on the channel menu. My daughter was so bummed about that! The thermostat in our room only worked intermittantly. Being a warmer February, temps outside were mild enough that we didn't really need to run the a/c much. The room was kept really clean, which we appreciated. We returned while they were still cleaning once and were asked to wait to go back into our room until they were done. We didn't mind at all until one of the housekeeper's friends (not in a uniform) showed up and chatted with her outside our room for 15 minutes while we were waiting nearby for her to finish up. I found this quite rude and annoying and ultimately told the housekeeper to just pass our room for that day. All other days were great.
I paid extra for a premium room, which was close to a bus stop and close to the parking lot. I LOVED that there were always parking spaces really close to our room. If you drive and have to haul in a ton of stuff, this is priceless. We were close to the 1st bus stop, which was great on the way back, but we had to ride through all the other bus stops at the resort before leaving each time. We quickly realized it was faster overall to drive our car to the parks.
The "concierge" is walk up only. That's ridiculous, considering the grounds are so large. The "concierge" desk was almost a half mile from our room. I called the front desk three times before someone (curtly) told me that the gift/sundry shop sold baby shampoo. So I needed to go up there anyway, but would have been livid if I'd made the trip only to find out they don't have what I needed. I think this walk up only concierge desk is unacceptably poor customer service.
The service provided by the chefs and waitstaff at the Pepper Market were very good. Especially the chef's went above and beyond to try to accomodate this family of somewhat picky eaters. That said, the food was pretty dull and uninteresting. But I'm sure that's not the particular staff's fault, as the same is true of much of the food at Disney. We strongly feel that Disney World's food and beverage management needs to be fired. Period. McDonald's has a more interesting and varied menu than many of the Disney restaurants. You can have MUCH better food in Kissimmeefor a third of the cost. But another guest said he prefered overpaying for the low end food on property to the $50 he spent for cab fare to go eat off Disney property. Your options really depend on your transportation options.
We always have fun at Disney and this trip was no exception. If you're participating in a runDisney event, stay at this or any host resort. The convenience of the bus service on race day well makes up for what the resort is lacking. Otherwise, I'd recommend one of the non-Disney hotels by DTD. They're a much better value overall.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the premium room closer to the bus stop / parking lot. It will save you a ton of extra hi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The property is lovely and spacious, the cast members are friendly, helpful and polite.
The guest rooms are adequate, somewhat utilitarian.
The lighting is poor in the guest rooms. The food is fresh, but not imaginative. Certainly Disney theme parks are magical, but the hotels lack the same focus.

Room Tip: Rooms are long distance from main buildings
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Disney's Coronado Springs Resort? Share your experiences!