We recently had the chance to stay at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort while attending Florida Hospital's Golden Gala, a fundraiser benefiting the Florida Hospital Foundation. This was our second stay at the hotel, the prior being about 3 years ago, for a conference.
I wish I could say I was impressed; but, honestly I don't understand the whole Disney mistique. Disney's Imagineers are very good at designing venues that get people through a queue as quickly as possible; and, separating those same people from their hard-earned money. But, beyond that, there isn't much "magical" happening as far as I can see.
For example, at check-in, I parked the car under the porte cochere as you would at any other hotel. I proceeded the football-field distance to the check-in, waiting in the queue; and, was promptly and quickly checked-in. I was provided a mountain of informational papers; and, sent on my way. When I came out, my wife told me that the valet suggested she move the car, or he would have to move it for her (if I wasn't back in 5 minutes.) Where was I supposed to park? Oh, over where it clarly states 30-minute parking... how could I have missed that?
Then, we proceed to our "premium" room, which was located in Cabana 1, right next to the event -- SUPER! Well, since all the employees working the gala had already filled up the parking spaces for Cabanas 1, 2, 3, and 4; I had to park at Cabana 5 after dropping my family off in front of Cabana 1. Hikiing back more than 1/4 mile to my room (NIke app on the iPhone), I was less than impressed. The woman in the Range Rover screaming at the parking attendendant about the parking fiasco didn't help either.
Now, don't let the name throw you, the cabana isn't a small hut at all. In fact, it is a large tenement (a large residential building) with dozens of rooms on multiple floors. And, the cabanas are spread out over a vast complex encircling the lake. My sole memory of our last stay is how sore my legs and feet were walking back-and-forth to the convention center. I relived that memory on this occassion.
As for the rooms, they are quite small by today's standards; and, the bathrooms are especially small... our's was equipped with a handicap access door; and, it barely cleared the commode and the bath! The one good thing about the bath is the generous bench for showering and toiletries. Climate control was very nice, despite the control button being broken. However, we were able to "MacGyver" it with a ball point pen! Despite the small size, we were quite comfortable, as the rooms were very clean; and, very well-maintained. The mattresses were just right; and, despite heavy foot traffic outside, the rooms were very quiet.
The staff was friendly, with a fond greeting from every "cast member." However, as you would expect, the food is outrageously priced --- $3 for a soda in the vending machine; amost $4 for a "large" coffee that I don't think measures 16 ounces; nearly $5 for a croissant; and, nearly $7 for a "personal" pizza that is barely a hand's-breadth in size.
The best advce I can offer is for any visitor to enjoy the theme parks as much as they can. But, stay at the less-expensive properties available to "guests" as you won't be in the room that much.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Disney's Coronado Springs Resort is a Southwest-themed Disney Moderate Resort hotel encircling Lago Dorado—a glimmering 22-acre lake—that evokes the spirit and romance of Spanish-colonial Mexico. Follow in the footsteps of explorer Don Francisco de Coronado as he searched for the legendary Seven Cities of Gold while you discover the beauty and fantasy of a unique Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Amex, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Disney's Coronado Springs Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney`s Coronado Springs Hotel Orlando
- Coronado Springs Resort
- Disney Coronado Springs Resort
- Disneys Coronado Springs Resort
- Disney Coronado Springs Hotel
- Disneys Coronado Springs Hotel
- Coronado Hotel Orlando