“Where's the magic?” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #182 of 328 hotels in Orlando
Orlando, Florida
“Where's the magic?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We recently had the chance to stay at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort while attending Florida Hospital's Golden Gala, a fundraiser benefiting the Florida Hospital Foundation. This was our second stay at the hotel, the prior being about 3 years ago, for a conference.

I wish I could say I was impressed; but, honestly I don't understand the whole Disney mistique. Disney's Imagineers are very good at designing venues that get people through a queue as quickly as possible; and, separating those same people from their hard-earned money. But, beyond that, there isn't much "magical" happening as far as I can see.

For example, at check-in, I parked the car under the porte cochere as you would at any other hotel. I proceeded the football-field distance to the check-in, waiting in the queue; and, was promptly and quickly checked-in. I was provided a mountain of informational papers; and, sent on my way. When I came out, my wife told me that the valet suggested she move the car, or he would have to move it for her (if I wasn't back in 5 minutes.) Where was I supposed to park? Oh, over where it clarly states 30-minute parking... how could I have missed that?

Then, we proceed to our "premium" room, which was located in Cabana 1, right next to the event -- SUPER! Well, since all the employees working the gala had already filled up the parking spaces for Cabanas 1, 2, 3, and 4; I had to park at Cabana 5 after dropping my family off in front of Cabana 1. Hikiing back more than 1/4 mile to my room (NIke app on the iPhone), I was less than impressed. The woman in the Range Rover screaming at the parking attendendant about the parking fiasco didn't help either.

Now, don't let the name throw you, the cabana isn't a small hut at all. In fact, it is a large tenement (a large residential building) with dozens of rooms on multiple floors. And, the cabanas are spread out over a vast complex encircling the lake. My sole memory of our last stay is how sore my legs and feet were walking back-and-forth to the convention center. I relived that memory on this occassion.

As for the rooms, they are quite small by today's standards; and, the bathrooms are especially small... our's was equipped with a handicap access door; and, it barely cleared the commode and the bath! The one good thing about the bath is the generous bench for showering and toiletries. Climate control was very nice, despite the control button being broken. However, we were able to "MacGyver" it with a ball point pen! Despite the small size, we were quite comfortable, as the rooms were very clean; and, very well-maintained. The mattresses were just right; and, despite heavy foot traffic outside, the rooms were very quiet.

The staff was friendly, with a fond greeting from every "cast member." However, as you would expect, the food is outrageously priced --- $3 for a soda in the vending machine; amost $4 for a "large" coffee that I don't think measures 16 ounces; nearly $5 for a croissant; and, nearly $7 for a "personal" pizza that is barely a hand's-breadth in size.

The best advce I can offer is for any visitor to enjoy the theme parks as much as they can. But, stay at the less-expensive properties available to "guests" as you won't be in the room that much.

Room Tip: Bring your running shoes, as getting around Disney's Coronado Springs Resort requires a lot of w...

3,260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (770)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

A real disappointment. There is really NOTHING nice about this so called hotel. It is a huge complex reminding of a dormitory, which presents a challenge finding your room in the midst of dozens of 4 story buildings that look identical. The rooms r well below average, without even a coffee machine in the room - so if you want to get a cup of coffee in the morning, you may have to walk close to a mile to the main building. And don't count on getting the courtesy of a late checkout! Awful is an understatement ... this place will spoil your overall experience at the Disney Parks, so I highly suggest u find a decent place that is so plentiful in Orlando, at very reasonable prices.

Chelsea, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I am a long time Disney World traveler with more than 50 stays in Walt Disney World properties - but this was my first visit to Disney's Coronado Springs Resort. I had always hesitated due to the fact that it is a "convention" hotel. I was pleasantly surprised with the resort - there was no notice of a convention feel at all. The rooms were very nice with only a "hidden" Disney theme - such as "hidden" mickey heads on the bed linens. Our room was in the Cabanas area and was very clean and well maintained. Our visit was during Thanksgiving week and we found the resort to be not crowded at all. Bus transportation was acceptable and convenient to our room. The only disappointing aspect of the resort was the lack of an adequate "Quick Serve" restaurant during the dinner meal - with Cafe Rix being your only choice. Cafe Rix is a very small area and the choice are VERY limited. I much prefer the other moderate resorts for the dinnertime meal choices - but overall (meals not included) I prefer this moderate resort over all of the other moderate resorts.

New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

First the good:
Grounds are beautiful for walking, access to Disney bus service, good on-site restaurants and cafes. The pool is great with a nice waterslide that the kids never seem tired of. The lifeguards are good, making sure the pool is safe, but still allowing the kids to have fun.
The bad:
I am convinced that the cleaning staff did not wash the drinking glasses in the room. I had to ask for disposable plastic cups to drink out of.
The HVAC did not work properly in the room. Had to turn up the heat to 89 degrees to prevent the air conditioning from turning the room into an icebox.
The hotel is built in a Spanish colonial theme, so the rooms have only one window that overlooks the walkway, like a motel, so you have to keep the curtains closed to prevent peeping toms from looking in. Also, the window does not open, so you get zero fresh air, instead relying on the faulty HVAC system.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We recently spent a week at the Coronado Springs Resort. We are young at heart and enjoyed the time we spent at the parks. The hotel is themed South American and the restaurants also mimic this region. The buildings are all built around a lake. We happened to have a great view of the 'beach' near the main pool. It made grabbing a quick meal easy and convenient. There is also a very nice bar at the main pool. Make a point to select a building near a bus stop. The week we were there we never ventured our in our car. We simply hopped a bus to all parks, downtown disney and any hotel for meals.

I'm completely surprised how busy all of the parks were during our stay (Nov 10-17). Perhaps it was due to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. At any rate there were more small children than any November we can recall.

We had a great experience at our own leisure and hope to go back again in the near future.

Room Tip: we upgraded to a water view. Because the resort was not sold out we had a hand in selecting our vie...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicagoland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We wanted to stay at a Disney "moderate" resort while my husband was attending a business conference at the Orlando Convention Center so that the children and I could take advantage of the Disney transportation system. We did not realize that Coronado Springs also had its own convention center. As a result, there were so many business people going back and forth with their business suits and their wheeled briefcases, that it was hard to relax and feel as if we were at a resort. The food wasn't good at all. There was one fast service cafe, Cafe Rio, but there wasn't much indoor seating and the walk back to our room was too long. As a result, we ended up eating our breakfast in a corner in the bar area. The other restaurants are a buffet type restaurant which had a fenced off from the rest of the resort seating area where the food wasn't very good or a Mexican sit down restaurant which was very pricey. Our room was very small but clean. We liked the double doors that sealed off the bathroom/vanity area from the sleeping portion of the room, but the bath/shower area leaked water all over the bathroom. Because of one of the many conventions going on the 10 days we were there, the main pool, which is very nice, was closed from noon on Sunday (when it finally warmed up to 80), to noon on Monday, our last two days staying there. We have stayed in the past at Pop Century, All Star Music, and Port Orleans Riverside. All of them were more enjoyable stays than this one. This is a beautiful location, but plan to do a lot of walking if you stay here, and plan to eat elsewhere. It's unlikely that we will stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Casitas section and were a long walk from everything. We would recommend the "Caba...
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Some people think this is a Southwestern United States design and it may be to some degree but for me it represented more of a Central or South American Flair. The hotel is beautifully done and as always the staff is pure Disney. They are professional and go out of their way to make sure you are having a good time. Pepper Market is somewhat of a buffet style with many choices to pick from. You are given a ticket and you go to the area of food type you want, order, they stamp your ticket and then you come back a few minutes later and pick it up. The waiters only bring you drinks and condiments here. Contrary to what another writer said this is a great place to eat. Everything from Steaks, roast chicken to sandwiches or Mexican Cuisine. The other resturant is the Maya Grill. Absolutely 4-Star all the way. The steaks will melt in your mouth and the appetizer is very unique and very good. The Maya Grill is a wonderful experience. It's true the hotel is huge and spread over quite a distant but that does not detract from the overall experience. The rooms are very nice and the pool is great fun. This resort is closest to the Animal Kingdom.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closest to the lobby. The buses start running at 7 and run every 10 mins taking y...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Coronado Springs Resort? Share your experiences!