“Disney World 2012!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #192 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Disney World 2012!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We recently stayed at Disney's Coronado Springs in September 2012. First, let me highly encourage visits in September. The weather was still very summer like (swimming etc were great!), but the crowd levels were amazingly low since most of the schools were back in session. It was a great time of year for couples/adults only trip to visit the mouse and his friends.
I have stayed at Disney World before at the Polynesian resort, and I understand that this was a moderate-grade hotel versus deluxe. Nevertheless there were a few things that I thought Disney could do better, regardless of this Moderate status.
First and foremost, the toilet paper was absolutely TERRIBLE. It was one ply paper-thin and rough, rough, rough. The toilet paper in the parks was better! Next time, I'm going to bring my own roll from home (if i stay at a moderate in the future).
Second, the linens on the bed were not very soft. I think they could use to upgrade the sheets just a step.
Third, the food at the Pepper Market was not good, especially at breakfast. Yes, it is a good value (Quick Serve credit for a buffet) but the food didn't seem hot and fresh like the other Disney buffets. I just felt that the Pepper Market did not live up to the Disney standard of excellence.
Fourth, the staff at the front desk weren't very friendly. I requested a room in building 1 or 3 (we paid for preferred location), and they put us in the furthest room in building 1 (basically in building 2) with a parking lot view. NO, they didn't do anything wrong, they gave me the building that I requested with the room type I reserved. However, I think, being September, that they could have accomodated me a little better since the resort wasn't full and I was paying for the top category (non-suite). Maybe
Now to the good parts of the hotel: Excellent Pool, Excellent Theming, Clean Room, Updated room, Comforters with duvets

If I had to choose between staying at the Polynesian once every five years or Coronado every other year, I'd probably stay at Coronado again. However, I'm really going to try to find a good discount on the deluxes (or if Disney isn't running a special, I'd try for the Swan/Dolphin). I just enjoyed the atmosphere at the Polynesian, I was a big skeptic after we stayed at the Poly (and were reserving our latest trip at Coronado). I thought that there was no way that the deluxes were worth that much more $$. I now believe that they are worth it, and you get what you pay for. But, the Coronado was very nice, so I'd definitely consider staying at a moderate again if the $$ wasn't available, etc. Just remember to bring yourself a roll of toilet paper from home, and demand a different room if they try to put you out in yonders-ville.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (900)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Traveling without kids, and still wanting to enjoy Disney World, this is one of the better places to stay. We were lucky with our room selection, being in Cabana 9B very close to the 'El Centro' main location.
The good: Pepper Market breakfast buffet was only a quick-service credit (for those on the Disney Dining Plan) and featured nearly the same everything as a 'character breakfast' without the characters - for substantially less cost. This is huge for people who budget their meals and have a hearty appetite. This resort also did not have as many people, was very quiet, and everyone was very friendly. Our room was clean, housekeeping was courteous and kept everything very tidy.
The not-so-good: This is near Animal Kingdom, and bus transportation from the resort to everywhere BUT Animal Kingdom was a long ride (then again, booking this property, I knew this). Also, being Disney's 'convention' resort, there were many people dressed up business casual and discussing work, being on their cell phones, etc...quite the opposite of the reason we were there :)
Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone seeking great value moderate accommodations. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time using the bus system between waiting and driving (unless, of course, you have your own vehicle).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wallaceburg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I didn't think my room was anything "special"... certainly not for the cost. I was put in the Rancho building #6. It was "o.k." but not great. I was attending a conference and was as placed in a room as far away from the conference centre as could be. It was horrible!! Some nights, by the time my meetings were done and I'd walked all the way back to my room, I was simply too tired to walk back to the main buildings to eat dinner, so I went without. There supposedly is a bus that you can pick up at various locations around the property that will take you to the front door, but they don't start running until 9 a.m. and I needed to be at my meetings in the conference centre for 7:30. It's Disney, so of course everything is overpriced... but I guess you know that prior to coming, right? It was o.k., and I know I have to stay there next year, but if I was booking for myself & family, I would not purposely choose the Coronado Springs.

Room Tip: Ask to be in a room close to the front if you're attending a conference. Ask to be in a room cl...
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was in for a business conference.

My room was exceedingly far from the conference center, but that made for a nice walk each morning. On the day I moved into the room it smelled of mildew. I traced that to the shower. Magically (and without a complaint) the problem was gone the next day (with a new shower curtain). I can only assume that the room I was in was cleaned significantly prior to my move in, and the mildew grew thereafter.

The grounds were beautiful. The staff was quite friendly.

The conference facilities were very nice, and the food provided was quite good.

I guess I had very high expectations with it being Disney, but it was more along the lines of average.

Grove, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have spent the last 9 nights at Disney's Coronado Springs resort. Overall the property was beautiful and comparable to the other moderate priced resorts. That is where the good ends though. When we arrived our room was supposed to be ready, but the toilet was visibly dirty and the shower still had a used bar of soap in the soap dish as well as used bottles of shampoo and conditioner. (We know the soap had been used as it had hair all over it). We let this go, but then the next day we came back from the parks at 4pm and the room had still not been cleaned, and never was that day. The next day the room was cleaned, but the smell of bleach?? was so strong that we had to turn on the ceiling fan and leave the door to the room open for almost an hour and because of the hurricane the temp was in the 50's. What ever they used to clean the bathroom made a black ring around the drain in the tub and the smell was so strong we could not use the toilet for a couple of hours. The service was definitely not up to Disney standard and not even close to what we had experienced before at the Caribbean resort. I also had the same problem as one of the other reviewers with the laundry and was very frustrated as well. Next trip to Disney will definitely stay at another resort!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Westport, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Have been to Disney world 4 times. First time staying on Disney property. Have an older brother who goes twice a year, and has stayed at Coronado the last 3 or 4 times. So we figured we would try it. It was nice, I had high expectations though. We stayed in Casitas building 2. When booking the trip 7 months in advance I choose preferred king room. (Closer to main building, or pools, or bus stop). Our room 2240 was near the quiet pool, not too far from the main building and bus stop 2. So I guess it was a preferred room. My brother always stays in the cabanas . I think they may be nicer than the casitas from what he tells me. Overall the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, we had a small refrig in room, which was nice. We had the quick service dining plan, so we had breakfast most mornings at the Pepper Market. I was disappointed in the food. Its a breakfast buffet. Pretty good choice of foods, but nothing really was great. The eggs were kind of flavorless. the waffles and pancakes were the same. The bacon and sausage were good. My wife liked the omelets ( made to order) I thought they were OK. Again, I was expecting more from Disney. I remember being very impressed by the Disney experience on previous visits to the parks. Of course everything was expensive everywhere, ( expected that, and the dining plan was worth it) No complaints with service, one thing that did shock me was a charge of $2.00 for printing our boarding passes at the business center! With what it cost for the week I thought that was a little petty.

Room Tip: I would say book a cabana instead of a casitas.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Attended a very large convention here in Oct 2012. Well organised and can not fault the hotel over the convention.

Food, drink and other services are terrible expensive, and to be honest food is only so-so. Best to get into Orlando or least worst is Downtown Disney.

Disney as a resort is impeccable, clean and everything works - you do pay for that and for example a breakfast pastry is 5-6 dollars!

Expect to pay 8-10 dollars for a beer.

And don't forget to have a "Magical stay" - yuck.

Room Tip: The hotel/resort is sprawling, ask for a room close to the reception!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Disney's Coronado Springs Resort? Share your experiences!