“Picturesque” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter

Save Saved
You added Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter to your Saves list
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2201 Orleans Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830 (Formerly Port Orleans Resort)   |
Ranked #41 of 328 hotels in Orlando
Hamden, Connecticut
“Picturesque”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had 3 adjacent rooms at this hotel. The rooms were cookie-cutter Disney, themed, clean, pristine grounds. There was a serenity about the complex, that I found to be unlike other Disney resorts, I would wake up at 6:30 and just sit outside and enjoy the views. The food court was suitable but busy, the pool adorable and not as chaotic as I expected, the check in quick (we used the online check in before we arrived), and all of the staff extremely friendly. My husband commented that there were no grab bars in the shower, code here in CT. The only downside is the bus transportation to the parks. Almost every day, we had an excess of 20 min wait for the bus, and another 10 mins to load the bus, so you can figure 45 mins wasted each way. Driving, and having to take the tram from the theme park parking lots was almost the same amount of time. I would definately select this hotel for a future DisneyWorld trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 4. It was close to the food court and buses. Good choice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

3,126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (739)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have nothing against WDW or the POFQ but during our stay in August it was less than stellar. The hotel is OK with a nice themed pool, rooms are average as far as I am concerned. I'd take the Riverside (except to me it will always be the Dixie Landings). Nicer layout etc. As for transportation it was AWFUL. We actually got stranded at a park and had to switch destinations just to get away. Hotel called bus dept for me to file complaint but they never called me back. I really hated the comment at the front desk: " Why didn't you take a cab?" Here's your answer: Because I paid $5000 for YOU to drive me around!

Room Tip: I hear you can stay like a King offsite. Find a good place and rent a car instead. And don't get...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Crestview, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter for my daughter's 5th birthday 19-26 November (which also happened to be Thanksgiving week this year). This was our first trip to WDW so being first timers we didn't really know what to expect. When we first arrived, we had a hard time trying to figure out if we needed to park somewhere or if you could just leave our car out front while we checked in. There wasn't a sign that said "Front Desk" "Check In" etc...so for a first timers this was very confusing. When we arrived to the front desk, the check in went rather smoothly and quickly. The front desk agent was very polite and professional. They gave us all "1st visit" pins and they gave my daughter a "Happy Birthday" pin so that was a nice touch for her. On the day of her birthday, EVERYONE (from the resort to the theme parks) acknowledged her birthday. She loved it.

The Room: We were in building four on the second floor. Great location for us. It wasn't a horrible walk to the dining area, the bus stop, pool/laundry facilities, etc. The room was your average two queen Hilton Garden Inn type of room. It was rather small, but it was doable for us. I liked the decor, it definitely gave it a nice New Orleans feel. Flat screen TV, mini fridge, coffee maker...had all the basic things you'd need in a hotel. There is no microwave. We saw this in advanced and came prepared...we brought our own. I know this may sound a bit extreme to some, but man it saved us a TON of money for food options. This is supposed to be a family oriented resort...you know some families may have babies that need a bottle heated. I can't believe for this being a 'moderate' resort they don't provide microwaves in a room...that you have to pay to 'rent' one...give me a break. Also, the beds were so uncomfortable to us. My husband and I had the worst back pain the whole week we were there. You could literally hear the springs every time you moved around. They definitely should have those replaced.

Service: The mousekeeping team was wonderful. They were very punctual, professional, and polite. Anytime we needed extra towels or anything they were there in an instant. On my daughter's birthday they even left a signed card wishing her celebration the very best. Our room was cleaned every day, EVEN if we left after they already been around. They change your sheets every four days..which was fine with us. It kills me that people complain that sheets aren't changed every day...so you mean to tell me you do this at home-change your sheets every day? Please. I wish I could give the concierge such praise. They weren't very helpful. In fact, they acted as if I was a bother every time I approached them. Wish I had gotten the two gentlemen's names, but I didn't. The first guy was a heavier set older man. We needed reservations for Thanksgiving. Us being first timers, no one informed us we had to book dinner months in advanced. He wasn't very helpful. Even when I asked him for a local (not a chain) pizza place, he was clueless. The second time I approached the desk, I went to a different man, still trying to get the Thanksgiving reservations resolved. This was a younger flamboyant man. Man his attitude was horrible. His face was shoved so far up his rear I'm surprised he heard me speak. He pretty much laughed in my face when I said I needed dinner reservations for Thanksgiving. Sorry that we didn't know this ahead of time! Excuse me for never coming to Orlando in my past! We told him we wanted somewhere that was serving a traditional Thanksgiving meal. He started giving me places that served sushi, seafood, Chinese food, America Cuisine. I finally got irritated and said to the young man that was not what we asked for. Finally after getting my point across firmly he suddenly found a place on another Disney resort, Saratoga Springs I think? To my surprise, the young man did fairly well and their food was excellent!

Dining: We did not purchase a dining plan, and I am SO happy we didn't. We went to the kitchen on the resort the last night of our stay. I noticed people complaining about it being expensive...it was definitely cheaper than food at the theme parks. A meal for the four of us (two kids ages 2 and 5) was $36 and some change. To our surprise, the food wasn't that bad. I was impressed. It was definitely better than out $180 dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table.

Overall, our stay was very pleasant. I would've given a higher rating had the concierge acted like they had some sense. Just some quick tips to save money: As I said...we brought a microwave. If you can fit it with your stuff, bring one! It saves so much money! We also brought a cooler. We had capri sun for the kids, hotdogs, lunch meat, snacks...all kinds of small stuff to get us by for breakfast and lunch time. Also...do your souvenir shopping at the local Wal-Mart. Plenty of Disney stuff for much less than anything on Disney property. Next time we travel to Orlando we may try a Delux resort just to see if there is much of a difference. Happy traveling!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Port Orleans is the resort at Disney that you want to come to if you want more of an adult Disney experience. Although we were here during an off-season, it was relatively quiet. Of course like the rest of Disney everyone here is almost saccharine friendly and almost unnaturally happy. The setting of the French Quarter of Port Orleans is more of a motel feel. Don't take that to mean that it's cheap or gives you less of an experience. The room is big comfortable and clean. One nice feature I liked was that in addition to the air conditioner/heater there was also a controllable ceiling fan. In addition to two queen size beds, there are also dual sinks outside of the bathroom.
The grounds are very nice to walk around and even saw a little bunny hopping around happily. There's even a video game arcade that's open 24 hours. You can even get fried-to-order begniets at the Sassagula Floatworks food court.
Besides a swimming pool with slides there's also a Jacuzzi.
If you're going to stay at Disney this is not a bad way to do it as well as getting a flavor of New Orleans.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mar Del Plata, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Fast check-in. Friendly staff: he showed me in a map where the room was when I asked. We bought the 5 days park tickets right there, at online prices.
Epcot is the nearest park.

Room: Building 3. Small, but we spent all day at the Parks so no drama about it. Clean and plenty of towels and toiletries.
The door and windows face to outdoor corridor. We had no problems, but I don’t know how it could be in peak season, late at night (i.e. noises and loud talking)

Food: We use to have light breakfast so we bought wheat bread and some packed pastries at the shop in front of Sassagoula, the food court. At Sassagoula we filled the hotel mugs with coffee, cocoa, milk or tea and bought some orange juice or fruit salads and made our toasts: there are toastmakers, butter and honey there.
We had a light lunch at the parks and dinner at Downtown Disney. We don’t like to make reservations so we ate whenever we were hungry and wherever we found a nice place with a free table and a short wait time….

Transport: The boat to Downtown Disney and the shuttles to the parks had good timming

Magical Express: we took the Magical Express plenty of time ahead our flight departure, just in case. The trip was great with an excellent driver.

Room Tip: Building 3: close to lobby, shop, food court, bus stop and pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Port Orleans French Quarter is the smallest moderate resort in Walt Disney World and this is a good thing. All the other moderate level resorts and very large and spread out, making it quite a trek from most rooms to the resort amenities such as the food court/restaurants, feature pools and bus stops. French Quarter is very compact and you aren't far from anything which building your room is located. We stayed in a river view room, overlooking the Sassagoula River, from which you can take a shuttle boat to Downtown Disney. These rooms are a premium over the regular rooms but in my opinion are worth the extra for the view of the water and the relative quiet as you are facing away from the pool area. We have stayed at all levels of resort at Disney World and this has become one of our favourites because of the size and it's relative central location.

Room Tip: Rooms are either 2 queen beds or one king so if it is just for a couple, request a king room, though...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at the end of October for one week, taking our 8-year old son on his first trip to Disney. My wife and I hadn't been in over 27 years, so it was basically our first time as well. The convenience of staying on a Disney resort cannot be overstated.

The Disney Magical Express was very convenient and check-in was a breeze. We knew our luggage wouldn't arrive with us, so we packed swimsuits in our carry-ons. Once we arrived at our room (Block 3), we went to the pool for a quick dip and after about an hour at the pool we went back to our room to find that our luggage had arrived. Where our room was in Block 3 was closer to the parking lot, so we had no view to speak of but it was very quiet and since we were really only there to sleep, we were perfectly fine with it. The room itself was a good size, but more than 3 people in it would have been a pretty tight squeeze. The bathroom was a good size, and the double sinks were fantastic. The in-room safe is quite small, and you won't be able to fit much more than passports and few hand-held electronic devices in there. The safe isn't electronic, so you do have to carry the key with you. The on-room coffee is adequate, but not really good. In fact, unless you go to one of the specialty coffee shops at Disney, you can't find a good cup of coffee anywhere.

House keeping did an adequate job, but when I was looking for something my son dropped I saw a few food wrappers under both beds, which was a little off-putting. When we did need new soap, shampoo or conditioner, they were replaced. We got one towel animal while we were there, but I'm not going to Disney for towel animals.

Nothing was longer than a 3-5 minute walk from our room and the Disney bus service was great. We didn't really get to take advantage of the boat service as one night there was a dragon boat race that stopped the boats from running and the other night we wanted to use the boats the weather caused them to stop running. This was completely out of our control so it didn't bother us in the least. The one night we were able to take the boat back to POFQ from Downtown Disney was a bit faster and generally nicer than taking the bus.

Sassagoula Floatworks is good. The beignets were always fresh and made to order, and the gumbo was very tasty. Breakfasts were good, but we tended to just get bagels for most of our stay since all the portions were quite big for our other meals. Before going I read on here that the lady at the waffle station wasn't the most pleasant and I can confirm this. She was never downright rude, but my son was a little indecisive making his order one morning and saw her sigh and roll her eyes. Other times I ordered from her she just seemed to be going through the motions, rather than trying hard to please you. We really only ate breakfast there, aside from the one day we had the gumbo, so I can't vouch for the quality of any other meals.

We did eat at Boatwrights on the Riverside one night and the meal was quite good. The walk was less than 10 minutes and very pretty along the river pathway.

My son really enjoyed the pool and hot tub, but as others mentioned trying to find a lounger was a little difficult as many had towels on them, but no people in sight. We weren't at the pool enough for this to be a huge inconvenience, but if I was at the pool everday, I'd get pretty annoyed. The lifeguards at the pool were always patrolling and always had an eye on people in the pool.

Overall the staff was very pleasant, but I never really felt like they were going out of their way or bending over backwards for us. Perhaps we just didn't need very much.

One thing to note if you're traveling from Canada or any other international destination is that you can take the Magical Express back to the airport, but you can't check your bags at the hotel and not see them until you get home like you do on the way there. Not a huge inconvenience for me, but it would have been good to know from the beginning.

The size and price combo for this resort is most appealing and the fact that's it's pretty central to all parks makes it that much more convenient. I timed our trips to and from each park and nothing was longer than 20 minutes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!