“Great Experience at POFQ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter

You added Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter to your Saves list
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2201 Orleans Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830 (Formerly Port Orleans Resort)   |
Ranked #40 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
NYC
“Great Experience at POFQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

My DH and I just returned from a week long trip to WDW. It was his first time staying on property, while I have stayed at the Poly, BW, and POR. We booked the trip to take advantage of the free dining offer, and chose POFQ due to the compact size of the resort.

We had a very good experience with the resort. Check in went smoothly - had no wait at the reservation desk, and the cast member helping us was happy to answer all of our questions. We quickly hopped a bus to Epcot where the driver asked everyone to repeat back to him which bus stop belonged to POFQ. We had a late dinner that evening, and left Epcot around 9:40 and then encountered a huge line for the bus. We were convinced it would take at least an hour to get back to the resort, but Disney quickly started sending additional buses to the stop with 2 buses loading at a time - our overall wait was 25 minutes and 8 buses.

Bus service during the week was generally good. Most were crowded, but as the POFT stop is before POR we never had trouble getting a seat. With the exception of our first night, we never waited more than 15 minutes for transportation. We also found the drivers to be very friendly, and we never walked off a bus without the driver making an announcement as to which stop to return to. The lines for the bus service to POFQ/POR always seemed to have the most people in them, but our buses also seemed to be amongst the more frequently appearing ones at the parks.

The resort itself was wonderfully themed - we loved how compact it was and the grounds were maintained beautifully. The Mardi Gras characters are a little over the top, but they were quite popular with the under 7 set. Food court was always clean, and we never had problems getting a table in the morning. The line for the beignets could be slow-moving, but we'd rather have them freshly made and wait the extra 10 minutes. Our room was a 2 minute walk from the main building and bus stop, and a 4 minute walk from the main pool.

We found our room to be exactly what we expected. The linens, while certainly not 5 star quality, were clean and always changed daily as were the towels. We had no problems with dust or dirty carpets. My DH actually had to pull back the dresser after a phone charger dropped behind it and that area was also remarkably clean.

All in all, we very much enjoyed the resort and have no real complaints. I would return there without any hesitation and have no concerns recommending it. It's not a 5 star resort, nor does it try to be - if that is what you are looking for, this is not the right place. Disney does not offer a business center in their moderate hotels. The corridors are exterior rather than interior. At the end of the trip, we were happy with the resort and feel that we received a good value for the money spent.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (868)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Long Valley NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

Wife, 3 1/2 year old daughter and myself stayed in the French Quarter last week and were very pleased with this hotel. Found the room to be clean and house keeping prompt and efficient. Nothing dirty or dingy like some other reviews. We stayed in building 6 which is a perfect location. Close enough to the pool, lobby & food court, but far enough away to be quiet. We found the rooms to be very quiet at night - no issues with noise.

FOOD COURT - we ate most breakfasts and an occasional lunch here. what we ate was good. Even though it is a "food court" almost everything is made to order.

POOL - pool was awesome. My daughter loved the slide (so did I). NOTE - when ligeguards are off duty the slide is closed. So that night swim will not include the slde.

SERVICE - from check in to check out everyone greeted us with a smile and was a pleasure to deal with. We requested a bed rail when we checked in and one was brought immediately.

TRANSPORTATION - this is the reason my review is not 5 stars. While it is easy to use and gets you where you want to be, it could be slow at times. If going to the Magic Kingdom or Epcot, the bus is direct from the FQ. If going to Animal Kingdom, MGM, Downtown or the water parks - you stop in Riverside also (4 stops).

Overall a very good stay. Will consider a stay on the monorail line resorts next time (if the budget allows) but would definatley come back to POFQ!

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

I must have stayed at a different resort than the preceding reviewers! We were at POFQ from Sept. 4-9. Check in was quick and efficient. We had requested a river view when we made our reservation and wish was granted. Great view in building 2, fronting the river. The room was a bit nicer and roomier than we expected. I had done a lot of research and looked at lots of photos. The room looked better than it appeared in those pictures. Beds were extremely comfortable. Furniture was substantial with plenty of drawers for our family of 2 adults and one child. I thought the fridge wasn’t cool enough at first but it turned out to be fine. The bathroom looked just like the photos…no surprises there and it worked out fine for us. Other than the ubiquitous little sign that’s in every hotel nowadays to consider reusing towels, we felt no pressure to oblige and received fresh towels everyday.

The grounds are just lovely and far exceeded just about anything I’ve ever seen at any typical hotel, upscale or not. The pool was fantastic with plenty of chairs and very attentive lifeguards, much appreciated as we had a small child with us.

The food court is perhaps a bit small, especially at peak times. But the food was good and the service for the most part friendly and efficient. We mainly used the food court for a quick breakfast or lunch by the pool. Some of the staff were very sweet to my son, giving him Mardi Gras coins and playfully talking and joking with him. As we had the free dining plan, were well informed about the need for reservations and enjoyed wonderful meals at Wolfgang Puck, Crystal Palace, Coral Reef, Mama Melrose and Spoodles. Plus, we always follow Calvin Trillin’s advice of never eating at the hotel!

We were very impressed with the bus and boat transportation. The buses and pickup points at the resort and the parks are clearly marked with their destinations so getting around was a breeze. Most drivers were very friendly, greeting us as we boarded and wishing us a good day at our destination. We never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a bus anywhere.

I might have been less pleased if we’d stayed at Riverside, though. Some of the stops seemed remote and on one occasion the driver on our MGM-bound bus had to contact dispatch as some Riverside folks had been waiting a long time for an Epcot bus. I did notice that if the bus filled at POFQ, the driver would skip or only make one stop at Riverside, so I would think that would add to the wait. Again, we had done a good bit of research and this was one of the factors in choosing French Quarter. A minor gripe was the number of people with those massive strollers! I understand the need for strollers but some of these poor parents looked about ready to pop a blood vessel folding and trying to get these SUV-sized strollers on the bus. Not to mention having them bang into everyone. I fondly remembered the wonderfully compact, easy-to-fold MacLaren umbrella-style stroller we had a few years back!

This was a great time to go to Disney as the crowds were low everywhere but the restaurants! It really paid to do a lot of research and planning. I found a ton of information online that helped us enhance the experience and have realistic expectations that were, in every case, exceeded.

As a deluxe resort would have cost us about $1,000 more, I can’t imagine how it could be $1,000 better! We loved the French Quarter and look forward to returning.

• Liked — the grounds and general ambience
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

My wife and I went to disney for our second anniv. We chose French Quarter based on price and looks. The atmoshpere there was very relaxed and fun loving. We liked the decor and the room, although the love bug were a bit of an annoyence. Anyway about the hotel, it is very nicely decorated with a look toward the french quater from the decor around the room etc. We loved the fact you could catch a nice boat trip to downtown disney, we took it one night to go see Cirque. The show was awesome.
Some of the things we did not like is the buses, they were always packed and seemed like it took forever to get to the parks because after they pick up at the french quarter they go to all the stops at riverside to pick up too. That makes the trip alot longer then it should be considering you are within a couple miles of every park. Another thing was we came back to the room after a day at one of the parks to find out that our door was not fully closed after room service had been by. Thankfully nothing had been taken. We did inform the desk clerk about this and then proceeded to leave the "do not disturb" sign on the door the rest of the trip. We did get new towels and sheets and such during the week but did not feel comfortable letting them in again.
The other thing both my wife and I commented on was the feel of the "Resort", the way the hotel was set up felt more like a HIGH prices motel as opposed to a resort.
Given the chance again my wife and I will probably choose another resort to stay at, we still LOVE Disney however will give a different place a chance.

• Liked — River View
  • Disliked — Maid service leaving door open
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
phila.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

just came back from disney , will not stay at french quarter ever again . there was dust everywhere got sick the first night there could not breathe doors need to be repainted. carpet was disgusting could not take shoes off. sheets were not changed entire time was there 9 nights, and the reason i know there was a stain on the sheet did not say nothing i was curious to see how many times they change the sheets i used this as my guide.i just slept on top of the sheets with my own blanket. makes you wounder if they change sheets between guest, told disney they did not want to hear it.

• Liked — close to the parks on disney property
  • Disliked — cleanleness
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

My wife and I recently stayed here Sept. 15-21, 2007. We also stayed here in Sept. 2005. I previously gave it a 4 star rating. I now give it an overall 3.5 star. Those who go will most likely experience the following:

Magical Express Check-in-

At the airport, apparently Disney was not expecting these crowds. We waited over an hour and half for the bus to take us to the hotel. Had we arranged our own transportation, we could have saved a large amount of time versus saving a few bucks. They do handle your luggage but one must weigh the pros and cons. The first time we used the service it went smooth. Not this time.

Check-in at the hotel-

Well, this is where I encountered a not so friendly impression. I requested building 5 when I made the reservation. We stayed in building 5 the first time and enjoyed it for our anniversary. I know nothing is guaranteed as they are eager and happily to tell you. I also reiterated building 5 the week of our arrival and the day before our arrival. At check-in, the notes weren't read nor was the request honored. Lesson learned: hmmm you decide.

The hotel is still nice. There are tree lined, cobblestoned streets and the quiet ambiance with an occasional horse and carriage still outweigh the check-in experience. The hotel room is basic and the provided toiletries are very minimal. They give you a one small bottle of shampoo. They use to give you lotions, mending kits, etc. Not anymore......but the price of the hotel increased substantially since 2005.

The pool-

Very nice with an ample amount of chairs and space. As mentioned in other reviews, they have a strict code of safety. Lots of lifeguards. When thunder is heard the pool area is closed but pool bar which is still located in the pool area was still open. Hmmm$$

Restaurant food-

All around the Disney complex, we were very pleased. The food was plentiful, reasonable and actually tasted better than theme park food. One complaint though. We were on the dining plan which I recommend to everyone. It was offered for free in the months of August and September. Ironically, some menus changed in August and some semi-expensive items (steaks) were taken off the menus. Les Chefs France (Epcot) and Wolf Gangs Cafe (Downtown Disney) no longer have steaks available. I made a call to the Disney Dining plan as we were waiting to be seated at Les Chefs France. The representative even mentioned that the restaurants have steaks. Lesson learned: Don't plan to eat specific items. Disney restaurants don't even know what they are going to have. THIS IS NOT A PORT ORLEANS COMPLAINT.

Bus Service to and from the parks-
Excellent

Riverboat sevice-
Excellent

Rainy day ponchos-
$7.00 ......extortion

Check out-
Airline check-in for magical express-
Rather than going into it, the 2 employees were not very friendly and borderline argumentative with people.

Conclusion-

Overall Disney experience was still good. Hotel has a few more isolated problems than before. As price keeps going up, we will consider another resort or destination. For more questions/information and plentiful pictures, email me.

• Liked — The quietness and seclusion, even though the crowds were large.
  • Disliked — Some attitudes of the airline check-in at the hotel and the hotel not accomodating a simple request!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vienna, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

The hotel is attractive from the outside with well maintined grounds but the rooms are old and worn. The tacky mardi gras decor did little to brighten the dark room of scuffed, dated furniture. The tiny bathrooms are reminiscent of 1950' style motels. Quality is lacking in almost everything from the paper thin towels to the flimsy bedspread. Disney has priced this property in the range of Hyatt, Hilton and Marriott but beware. If you expect a comparable room, you'll have to look elsewhere. The staff does a wonderful job of delivering the famous Disney magic and there are benefits of staying at an on-site Disney resort. If you don't expect much from this property, maybe you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!