“Great stay, didn't want to leave!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa

You added Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   4401 Floridian Way, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #34 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Halifax, Canada
“Great stay, didn't want to leave!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

Was concerned after reading some reviews that I would pay my money then be at the mercy of less than perfect Disney service for the duration of my vacation...... let me assure you our stay was almost perfect.

The Grand Floridian was everything I could have wanted in a Disney hotel and more. Reserved a standard garden view room (all they had available when I booked only 2 months in advance) but asked for a room w/ view upon check in and was given free upgrade to MK view room. The room had incredible view of MK fireworks and the boat parade that comes by at about 10 pm. Only disadvantage, my room was a top floor dormer, w/ no sofa bed, only 2 queens. But since we had been given the free upgrade, I didn't quite want to say hey thanks for the upgrade, but how about one w/ a sofa bed?

Room pros:
robes, fridge, very comfy beds (and I'm very picky), balcony w/view, quiet (we were there 1st week feb, i believe the hotel was not full) spacious enough, excellent housekeeping, lots of towels without even having to ask, View!, coffee maker in room.
Room cons:
No vending machine, no mini bar. have to walk to main bldg to buy drinks, etc. just plan ahead, you have a fridge (one tip- I'm not cheap but water was $2 for a 500ml bottle. Buy the 1.5 L size for just a little more $). The gift shop and Gaspirillas have pop, water, milk etc.

Pools great, it was cold while we were there so only used them a couple times, but water was warm in pool, if you could stand the air. Used the exercise room in spa once, it was great .. a bit far from main hotel, but I got some exercise getting there!

Hotel food:
Citrico's - excellent, and I consider myself a foodie.
Narcosee's- good, fireworks at MK could be seen from dining room.
Grand Floridian cafe- good food there, too.
1900 park fare- even the food at the character buffett was decent
Gaspirillas- Ok for what it is. pizza edible, decent healthier selections of chicken sadwich, cheese plate, etc
You have to understand that at disney if you want a sit down meal, you must book in advance to guarentee a seat. Plain and simple. Having said that, we were there at a slow time and managed to have a non reserved meal at Narcosee's and non reserved breakfast at GF cafe twice.
Did not use dining plan as we wanted to eat at the fine restaurants, and wished to be unrestircted. One tip, we came to Disney w/out car. I brought some cold cereal and plastic bowls and spoons, bought milk at hotel, and had breakfast in room each AM. Saved a ton of time, we had the in room coffee maker, cereal and juice early and were at the park for opening. On days we had no immediate plans, the GF cafe had lovely breakfast.

Can't beat location close to MK on monorail. The one time wehad to take bus (to animal kingdom) it was abour 20 min wait for bus, then ride to other resorts before ariving at AK.

Additional notes:
Used the Magical express bus service from airport--- no complaints( a little hard to find in airport--no signs. ask somebody, then you will find it)
We were immediately acknowledged at check in, taken to our room in a cart and given helpful hints by the staff on way to our room.
There were few crowds, again, we were there at a slow time with colder weather.
Due to bad weather, our flight cancelled and we arrived a day later than planned. I phoned Disney and they kindly accomadated taking one day off at the begining of our trip and adding one on at the end.
The service of shops at theme parks shipping your purchase to your resort is very helpful, and free of charge.
The fireworks at MK were crowded and the view of them was better from my room. Next time I will book early to make sure I get a guarenteed MK view..its worth the $$

Overall, great place. I will stay there time I go to Disney. Yes, you pay more than you would for a comparable room elsewhere, but this is Disney. You are paying for the experience and location.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
stafford, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

We stay at the Grand Floridian every spring for the past 10 years with our boys and every time, it is outstanding. We started staying there when our boys were small because it is so close to the Magic Kingdom and as the boys got bigger and we thought of trying something new, we never could bring ourselves to do it! We stay on club level and it is wonderful - the people who work in the club are fabulous and willing to do whatever they can for you. Pricey, but well worth the splurge. We particularly like that it doesn't feel so "them park-ish" - its a little more elegant but the staff is never uptight. The spa is also great!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

This is far from the 5-star luxury experience one might expect at this price point. The hotel is nothing more than a large series of long-corridor commercial style hotel buildings, with superficial architectural accents to distinguish it from its otherwise bland atmosphere. It has a very 80's feel to it - 1980's that is.

It's ridiculous that guests who pay a bit of a premium to stay here have to compete so heavily to have breakfast at the theme buffet. We couldn't get reservations for *any* of the 5 days we stayed here because they were already pre-booked. Clearly you should book even your breakfast well in advance of your arrival if you want the theme buffet.

Our lagoon-view rooms are very small and cramped.

Had to pay a daily for wired internet access.

I'm starting to get the "Theme" here - it's "Nickel and dime..nickel and dime..." - I think I heard Mickey and Minnie singing that tune as they skipped down Main Street USA.

One thing that I feel is unacceptable in a hotel at this price point is the fact that the bathrooms had a tub with integrated shower, and a shower curtain. Very, very low-rent feel to that...I expect a glass and tile shower stall when I am spending over $600/day on the room alone!

The staff is of course friendly, although I had almost no interaction with them.

We dined in-hotel one evening at Citrico's - what a rip off. Over-priced, average, uninspired 90's type pseudo mediterranean cuisine...the French press-pot coffee however was good - it was the meal highlight.

It shocks me what poor value Disney has become. You pay an incredible premium to get the Disney experience by staying right at the park...but that's really about all you get - you're there, but frankly I question the value beyond that, when I think of the myriad other luxury hotels I've stayed at below and well-above this price point that offer so much more for the money.

Will try a villa resort next time and see how that compares..

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Lossiemouth, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

Me and My Husband stayed here for 4 nights last August as we were getting married at the Wedding Pavilion. On arrival at the hotel we were greated by friendly staff who helped us with everything we needed. We even got our room upgrade to concierge. This include drinks and nibbles throughout the day it was brilliant. Once we got to our room we had a signed card from cindarella and Prince Charming wishing us all the best and a bottle of champagne! The rooms were pretty big we had one queen size bed and a balcony looking onto the wedding pavilion. There are several shops within the hotel selling disney merchandise, a bath shop, and salon. There are 4 restuarants and a canteen outside beside the boats which was great as you can charge everything to your room you didn't need to carry around money. There were too large pools and one had a small water slide for the children. A small beached area just down from the pool. At night you could gather round the marina to watch the night time fireworks from Magic Kingdom, this was great as you wern't fighting with anyone at the park to get a good space and all in all i think we got a better view at the hotel. We ate at Narcossee restuarant on the night of the wedding and it was brilliant i would highly recommend this.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

My family stayed at the Grand Floridian during the first week of April. There was six of us all together my two kids, 2 and 4, My wife and I, and my wifes parents. We are a basic middle class family, we dont try to live the expensive lifestyle. I will say though the hotel is very nice and everyone that works there was especially nice and friendly. I will give you some random things l liked and disliked about the hotel. We stayed on the first floor boca chica building, garden view. We had a great view of the pool though. It was nice to watch people swimming and the pool bar area from the room. I wish the patios were not closed in though. The one thing I like better at the polynesian. You could walk out your patio doors onto the grass or to the pool from the poly. Grand Floridian you have to walk through the building. Both pools that the GF has are nice for kids and adults alike. Another thing I liked was the music playing in the lobby from 4-9. It was either a piano player or a band. Both were excellent to listen to. My kids would like to dance here. The grill for counter service had good food but not enough selections. Could improve there. Also with the arcade games in with it their was limited seating inside but you could always sit outside when its nice,, great view of the castle here. The bed turn down service I guess i dont really get. I can pull my covers back at night by myself, but the chocolates were nice. Maybe that is just my middle class showing through. My kids were celebrating there birthday and they brought in a white chocolate mickey and some cookies, I thought that was really nice and the kids really liked it. Over all I thought the hotel was very nice but I guess I dont see nothing that just totally knocked my socks off. If you are in the decision between polynesian and grand floridian, it is really all in the preference,,, lush garden feel or turn of the century victorian. If you have any specific questions please contact me. I planned our trip for about 5 months.. I could probably work for disney as an advisor now.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Deep in the Heart of Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

First know that Disney Hotels are very popular. You do have to make some basic plans before your arrival. Just a little bit of pre planning make the experience most satisfying. Take note of the Disney advice on meal reservations and park hours. Make general schedules of you park and meal plans. The Grand Floridian is the flag ship hotel of Disneyworld. We have stayed there three times and had a delightful time at each stay.
The staff pays attention and will work with you to make your stay memorable. If you make your reservations early enough you can get the Concierge service. It is an extravagant service but fun to have. Watching the Magic Kingdom fire works from the restaurant on the lagoon is spectacular and romantic. Live music daily in the main lobby is excellent. No hotel can boost of a real ginger bread house in the lobby. A real memorable experience.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

This hotel spells elegance the moment you walk in the door. A gorgeous, opulent lobby is the centerpiece of the main floor with siting areas and (in Nov a huge Xmas tree). The staff are extremely helpful with Park passes, etc. We had a two bedroom suite in an adjacent building but it was spacious and had a view of the Magic Kingdom! There are two pools, one for grownups and the other for fun (it has a waterslide!) The proximity to the magic Kingdom cannot be beat by monorail, first stop to get there and to go back. Restaurant wise this place is sure culinary savy,
1) Victoria and Albert's - Beautiful fine dining. Adults only. A true treat.
2) Citrico's - second nicest restaurant. Great Mediterranian food for dinner.
3) Narcoossee's - MY FAV! On the water, great seafood and so fun for dinner.
4) Cafe - Great for breakfast and views of the pool.
5) Garden View Lounge - such nice afternoon tea in a traditional Floridian/English settting.
6) 1900 Park Fare - best character meals! We had breakfast once. The spoiled children are annoying but it is fun. Buffet though.
* All in all, a fantastic hotel which I would immeadiatly return to the next time I go to Disney Florida.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!