“Beautiful Resort - Super Friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

You added Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   4401 Floridian Way, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #33 of 329 Hotels in Orlando
Keller, Texas
“Beautiful Resort - Super Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2014

From moment I got off the Disney Magical Express I felt at home here. Staff greeted us with smiles and took each of us personally to registration desk. That experience was just as warm and friendly as greeting. Room is wonderful. Comfortable beds. Not far to get to main building even from far off buildings. Highly recommend staying here!!

Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

I have visited Disney World almost every year since I was young. I won't go in to why Disney is such a great vacation though, and I'll keep my comments to the Grand Floridian resort. This was my fourth stay in the past seven years (we stayed at the Beach Club last year). Out of all the hotels, the GF has the most wow factor, and most convenience. The lobby is beautiful, the rooms are large, nicely appointed, and the staff is so friendly. Our last stay was in 2012, and since then the buildings have had a facelift. Our room had new hardwood floor, carpeting, furniture, etc. The carpet in the main areas had been replaced, along with the wallpaper. It's immaculate, light and airy. Also, I don't know what they pump in, but the hotel always smells amazing.

My favorite things about this hotel are:

- Its on the monorail line, making it easy to get to the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, other hotels, etc. The bus stop has plenty of benches in a covered area for waiting and a tv screen with estimated bus arrival times. There is also a boat launch with service to the Magic Kingdom.

- Gasparilla is open 24 hours for drink fills, lunch, and snacks; there are lots of bottled drink options, including wine and beer. Beach Club's market was only open until 11/12pm. Not so convenient for late night runs.

- The beds are extremely comfortable, there is a mini fridge, large closet, and huge vanity area. It's so nice to have a large, dual vanity separated from the tub and toilet- you don't have to wait for someone to finish before brushing your teeth, etc.

- I read that someone thought the rooms were small. However, they do not claim that the rooms are suites, although they do have suites and villas available to book. From a hotel room stand point, I think the rooms are quite large. We are a young couple without kids,so maybe that's why, but I could easily see being able to fit two small children in there with us (the couch folds out into a daybed).

- We love the pools. We tend to stay at the lagoon/adult pool. I noticed this year that there were new pool chairs, plenty of them, etc. We had no issue finding a seat.

Some suggestions for the hotel:

- There are only 12 rooms with king beds. As a couple, we thought it was a bit of a bummer to get a room with 2 queen beds. I feel that there should be more King rooms given the size of the resort. I know Wilderness Lodge you can book a king room, while with GF you can only make that request at booking (without a guarantee). I'd like to see that process changed to match the Wilderness Lodge.

- Add more drink stations, preferably near the pool, and outer buildings. It's a bit of a schlep to Gasparilla at night, after you've spent the day walking around.

- Have more umbrellas available at the pool. There is almost no natural shade to be had, making it difficult to stay out long.

- We did have one snafu- our fire alarm went off one morning. It took half an hour and two phone calls to get it stopped. They seemed to think we were mistaking the fire alarm for our own phone alarm? Not quite sure. In either case, it woke us up, as well as our neighbors on either side. We stopped by the front desk on our way out and talked about it with a manager, who then gave us 3 additional fast passes for the day (which doesn't seem like much, but that meant we had 6 in total so we didn't wait in line at all, so it worked out). The manager was so nice and receptive, so we were very happy in talking with her.

Room Tip: If you can, book a lagoon room. We were able to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks show from our balc...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

We traveled with a 10 month old and a three year old and found this hotel to be very comfortable and convenient. We got a lagoon view that had a great peaceful view from the balcony. We really enjoyed the onsite restaurants and the monorail station from this hotel. The best part for our family was the child friendly pool - after a morning in the park we could swim and tire out the kids for naptime and then hit the park at night once the crowds are leaving and shut it down. The service at the hotel was outstanding. The sheets/beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Franklin, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

The "Grand" in Walt Disney World has spoiled our family since it's opening! One stay and you are hooked! This Hotel remains our family favorite after all these years! Our families vacation memories from here are truly Magical! Your only surprises while staying in the "Grand" will always be pleasant and "Magical" that will last your lifetime.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

We were fortunate to be able to get into the DVC villas at the Grand Floridian for our WDW family vacation, as it is one of the more popular choices for DVC these days. I'm so glad we did. Some of my favorite things about the room/resort:

1) Sleeps 5 in a Studio. With a family of 5, it's nice to be able to save points (or spend less $$) by staying in a smaller room. We are the types that only sleep there anyway!

2) Great layout of the bathroom. Referencing #1, if you're going to squeeze 5 people into a studio room (essentially a standard hotel room), having a split bathroom and 2 showers made a HUGE difference in getting-ready time.

3) Nicely appointed. Not much of a kitchen, but what was there was done well and was very functional for me as a mom.

4) Quick walk to the monorail. Covered walkway to the main building - didn't feel very removed from the overall Grand Floridian resort.

5) Cute decor - loved the penguins and the Mary Poppins theme in the lobby.

6) Get to stay at the nicest resort at WDW! A huge bonus - GF has always been a favorite, and wonderful to now stay there with DVC.

There were some downsides, but ones that were really made by the choice to stay in a Studio room versus our normal 1-bedroom Villa. Although we never cook, it did seem to be missing something without some sort of kitchen. Also, there was very little closet/drawer space and no place for our luggage. We had it all stored up in the entry way where there was a little room next to the connecting door. Lastly, it didn't seem like many of the rooms actually had a good view. Now we chose the standard view (vs. lake view), but it just seemed like from the positioning of the building that not many rooms could really see the MK or castle.

However, because of our nature that we don't spend much time in our room, none of these were truly drawbacks to us. If you are the type of family who likes to lounge and hang out in your room, you might want to consider a 1-bedroom villa to give you a little more wiggle room and storage. Overall though, this new DVC building is my favorite so far of all of the DVC resorts at which I have stayed. Hard to go wrong with the Grand Floridian!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

Stayed at many Disney properties but have not stay here until now. I have to say this hotel is beautiful. My favorite for all the Disney properties. The convenience of having monorail right there was great. However the money that I paid was not worth the service. When I pay for a four seasons rate I expect service like the four seasons. That is the only reason I could not whole heatedly endorse this hotel. When I go back to Disney I will not stay here unless I can get a great deal. Victoria,s and Alberts was expensive , but we'll worth the money. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

With small children ,we wanted to be close to the parks, with little travel time especially to the Magic Kingdom. What a wonderful hotel. The rooms were restful, comfortable and very nicely decorated. Our room was adjoining with the grandkids and it had a sofa that converted very cleverly into a twin bed. Our only complaint was a noisy fan in our bath that was so noisy my husband said he couldn't even hear himself sing in the shower. The staff took care of the problem immediately. The pools were beautiful and fun for the kids, and the lobby had piano and a band in the evening. It was less than a 5 minute ride on the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!