“Elegant, Nostalgic and more adult for Disney” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   4401 Floridian Way, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #37 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Elegant, Nostalgic and more adult for Disney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is a grand hotel complex on the DisneyWorld property. It is among the hotels on the monorail near Magic Kingdom, so transportation around that little ecosystem is very good.

The resort is very clean with meticulous care of the grounds. It seems to give you a little insight into what Florida might have been like back in the old days. You even get a flavor of that in the lobby when an old time band plays a little Dixie. My 26-month old was dancing through the lobby.

The resort has a classy, adult feel too, much less of the whimsical character feel and less of the detail you'd find at the Wilderness Lodge or the Polynesian.

Didn't stay here so I can't comment on the rooms.

It does have water transportation to the Magic Kingdom too, which is another plus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at the Grand Floridian with my husband and two young girls in May 2012 and we loved it. The proximity to Magic Kingdom and the monorail was the obvious perk and the reason we opted for this hotel but the beauty of the buildings, the atmosphere and the friendliness of the staff made for a truly unforgettable stay. There were many dining options available at the hotel but the character breakfasts and dinners and Mad Hatters tea party at the 1900 Park Fare restaurant were the highlight of my girls' stay. The kids pool provided hours of entertainment for all of us! The are excellent shopping facilities at the hotel as well. The only negative would be the size and somewhat outdated style of the room (standard garden facing) but we were in our room so seldom that this didn't bother us too much. We will definitely be returning to the Grand Floridian for our next visit in 2014!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Better than I could have ever imagined.
The hotel is gorgeous, staff is friendly and rooms are very clean and cozy!
Will be going back, and would highly recommend!
Between the boat rides between the hotel and the magic kingdom, to the very convenient monorail that picks you up right outside the lobby, getting around is definitely not a problem! Staff is willing to help in any way possible. If you are able to book the firework view, it is ABSOLUTELY worth it. Its breathtaking.

Room Tip: Fireworks view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis,MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I just returned from a 6 day stay at the Grand Floridian. I had two adjoining rooms in the Sago Cay building. Let me begin by saying that I have stayed at the Grand Floridian in the past and had a wonderful experience. In fact, I was adamant that our family stayed again at the GF.

I was aware that the resort was under construction and had called ahead of time to ask questions about the resort during this period. I will say that the information I got was not accurate and I do believe people should avoid the GF during this time.(and I am a GF fan) It is a major inconvenience if you would like to use the quick service dining options (pool or Misner's). The service and selections are very minimal at both locations. It is similar to airport food. The only pool that is open is very crowded, overlooked by a construction site, and dirty due to overusage by quick service dining.

The resort loses its appeal when you feel like you are walking around in a construction site. I still think the GF is the best property on the monorail but only when the renovations are completed. It is very inconvenient in its current state. Convenience is the main reason I think most pay the rates charged at this hotel because even in normal operations a hotel of this caliber wouldn't be able to charge these rates for its level of accomodations if it wasn't so convenient to the Magic Kingdom. If you already feel like you are splurging or spending more than you really want too, be prepared to be disappointed when you arrive because you will feel like you really overpaid. If you just want a place to stay that is convenient for children's naps, etc. then you will probably be ok.

I think everyone should consider the other options are just prepare yourself that you will not get the true GF experience. The hotel seems below average in its current state. The Contemporary or Polynesian are better options right now.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Was here for business in early October. The resort itself is very nice. The main building is stunning. Rooms are pretty nice, nothing special. Clean and well kept. The grounds are also nice, the resort is quite large. It was still quite hot and humid when I was here. They really pump the AC!! Condensation dripping off of every outside door and window. I think I actually got sick because of this. I can appreciate some cool air when its hot out, but it was like a freezer in all the indoor spaces. Location is very nice with direct access to the tram and buses to pretty much everywhere else Disney related.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My fiancee' and I stayed at the Floridian the night that we got engaged. For years I have been wanting to stay at this hotel, but found that it was way too out of my budget. I finally got to stay here, and I have to say, the hotel was everything that I had expected and more. Our beds were turned down every night, which I've never see another Disney hotel do. We had chocolates on our pillows every day. Which, again, I have not had this treatment at any other Disney hotel, and every time we used a towel and left the room, we would come back to fresh towels and our hamper (yes they have a hamper for your towels!) would be empty. Everything would be replenished not only on a daily basis but on an hourly basis! We literally left the room for a few hours and came back to our bed turned down, the lights dimmed, chocolates on our beds, and fresh towels. I've stayed at 6 different Disney Resorts, and like I said, no other Disney Resort was this extravagant. I felt like complete royalty. Each room is an easy, quick walk to the monorail. The pool was amazing. The lounge chairs have built in cushions so there is no need to bring a towel or a small pillow for comfort when laying on the chairs. The staff by the pool side bar were very friendly and quick to serve, even though it was crowded. We didn't wait more than 5 minutes for our drinks. Oh, and did I mention that each room comes with 2 bath robes? Can this place get any better? I loved it. Even with the construction going on, the hotel was still beautiful. Best place I've ever stayed.

Room Tip: If you want to view the Magic Kingdom, than you might want to pay extra for the room, but honestly...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Miramar, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on 9/4/07. When my husband and I left to the park, I left my blackberry in the room charging trusting that it would be impossible for staff or anyone to steal it. When I returned to my room, the phone had been stolen. I immediately contacted the staff. Unfortunately the security officer they sent to investigate was rude, unprofessional and insinuating that I was to blame and that I probably forgot that I had taken the phone with me to the park! I told them to find out who had entered my room and to investigate their own employees for the theft. Later I found out that the lady that cleans the room and another man who refills the refrigerator had come into my room. I tried very very hard to get them to pay for the loss of my phone the value of which was not even significant. They stalled and stonewalled me and to my shock I received a letter from the Gust Claims Department stating "Our department was advised of the claim you made arising from the referenced incident that occurred on property owned and operated by WALT DISNEY WORLD CO. We were sorry to hear of your loss during your visit with us. We have reviewed the circumstances surrounding your claim and found no negligence on the part of the WALT DISNEY WORLD CO. in this case. Therefore, we are unable to offer any compensation for the loss you incurred." I was disappointed because supposedly this is the best most expensive hotel inside Disney and we had spent a fortune to stay there. I am 100% absolutely sure that the phone was taken by one of the staff members that went into my room and I am a lawyer and wanted to file a lawsuit just to prove them wrong but the expense and time involved in a lawsuit just wasn't worth it for the loss of my blackberry phone. The hotel offered nothing - no future discounts - no discounts on my stay - NOTHING. They were very arrogant and could care less that my phone was stolen by their staff. After having had a magical week enjoying the parks, this experience at this hotel ruined everything and it ended up being a horror story. The phone belonged to my company so I had to pay for losing it and meanwhile the hotel did not have the decency to truly investigate their staff (look at cameras, make them take polygraphs, check their criminal records and background) because had they done this, they would have found out the truth and fired the burglar from their staff to prevent them from stealing from other rooms. So, to all of you, lesson learned here NOT TO LEAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE IN YOUR ROOMS because this hotel employs burglars and then they refuse and fail to investigate or to pay for your loss!!

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!