“The truth about the Grand Floridian and the ongoing construction” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   4401 Floridian Way, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #39 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
St. Louis,MO
“The truth about the Grand Floridian and the ongoing construction”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I just returned from a 6 day stay at the Grand Floridian. I had two adjoining rooms in the Sago Cay building. Let me begin by saying that I have stayed at the Grand Floridian in the past and had a wonderful experience. In fact, I was adamant that our family stayed again at the GF.

I was aware that the resort was under construction and had called ahead of time to ask questions about the resort during this period. I will say that the information I got was not accurate and I do believe people should avoid the GF during this time.(and I am a GF fan) It is a major inconvenience if you would like to use the quick service dining options (pool or Misner's). The service and selections are very minimal at both locations. It is similar to airport food. The only pool that is open is very crowded, overlooked by a construction site, and dirty due to overusage by quick service dining.

The resort loses its appeal when you feel like you are walking around in a construction site. I still think the GF is the best property on the monorail but only when the renovations are completed. It is very inconvenient in its current state. Convenience is the main reason I think most pay the rates charged at this hotel because even in normal operations a hotel of this caliber wouldn't be able to charge these rates for its level of accomodations if it wasn't so convenient to the Magic Kingdom. If you already feel like you are splurging or spending more than you really want too, be prepared to be disappointed when you arrive because you will feel like you really overpaid. If you just want a place to stay that is convenient for children's naps, etc. then you will probably be ok.

I think everyone should consider the other options are just prepare yourself that you will not get the true GF experience. The hotel seems below average in its current state. The Contemporary or Polynesian are better options right now.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Was here for business in early October. The resort itself is very nice. The main building is stunning. Rooms are pretty nice, nothing special. Clean and well kept. The grounds are also nice, the resort is quite large. It was still quite hot and humid when I was here. They really pump the AC!! Condensation dripping off of every outside door and window. I think I actually got sick because of this. I can appreciate some cool air when its hot out, but it was like a freezer in all the indoor spaces. Location is very nice with direct access to the tram and buses to pretty much everywhere else Disney related.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My fiancee' and I stayed at the Floridian the night that we got engaged. For years I have been wanting to stay at this hotel, but found that it was way too out of my budget. I finally got to stay here, and I have to say, the hotel was everything that I had expected and more. Our beds were turned down every night, which I've never see another Disney hotel do. We had chocolates on our pillows every day. Which, again, I have not had this treatment at any other Disney hotel, and every time we used a towel and left the room, we would come back to fresh towels and our hamper (yes they have a hamper for your towels!) would be empty. Everything would be replenished not only on a daily basis but on an hourly basis! We literally left the room for a few hours and came back to our bed turned down, the lights dimmed, chocolates on our beds, and fresh towels. I've stayed at 6 different Disney Resorts, and like I said, no other Disney Resort was this extravagant. I felt like complete royalty. Each room is an easy, quick walk to the monorail. The pool was amazing. The lounge chairs have built in cushions so there is no need to bring a towel or a small pillow for comfort when laying on the chairs. The staff by the pool side bar were very friendly and quick to serve, even though it was crowded. We didn't wait more than 5 minutes for our drinks. Oh, and did I mention that each room comes with 2 bath robes? Can this place get any better? I loved it. Even with the construction going on, the hotel was still beautiful. Best place I've ever stayed.

Room Tip: If you want to view the Magic Kingdom, than you might want to pay extra for the room, but honestly...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Miramar, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on 9/4/07. When my husband and I left to the park, I left my blackberry in the room charging trusting that it would be impossible for staff or anyone to steal it. When I returned to my room, the phone had been stolen. I immediately contacted the staff. Unfortunately the security officer they sent to investigate was rude, unprofessional and insinuating that I was to blame and that I probably forgot that I had taken the phone with me to the park! I told them to find out who had entered my room and to investigate their own employees for the theft. Later I found out that the lady that cleans the room and another man who refills the refrigerator had come into my room. I tried very very hard to get them to pay for the loss of my phone the value of which was not even significant. They stalled and stonewalled me and to my shock I received a letter from the Gust Claims Department stating "Our department was advised of the claim you made arising from the referenced incident that occurred on property owned and operated by WALT DISNEY WORLD CO. We were sorry to hear of your loss during your visit with us. We have reviewed the circumstances surrounding your claim and found no negligence on the part of the WALT DISNEY WORLD CO. in this case. Therefore, we are unable to offer any compensation for the loss you incurred." I was disappointed because supposedly this is the best most expensive hotel inside Disney and we had spent a fortune to stay there. I am 100% absolutely sure that the phone was taken by one of the staff members that went into my room and I am a lawyer and wanted to file a lawsuit just to prove them wrong but the expense and time involved in a lawsuit just wasn't worth it for the loss of my blackberry phone. The hotel offered nothing - no future discounts - no discounts on my stay - NOTHING. They were very arrogant and could care less that my phone was stolen by their staff. After having had a magical week enjoying the parks, this experience at this hotel ruined everything and it ended up being a horror story. The phone belonged to my company so I had to pay for losing it and meanwhile the hotel did not have the decency to truly investigate their staff (look at cameras, make them take polygraphs, check their criminal records and background) because had they done this, they would have found out the truth and fired the burglar from their staff to prevent them from stealing from other rooms. So, to all of you, lesson learned here NOT TO LEAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE IN YOUR ROOMS because this hotel employs burglars and then they refuse and fail to investigate or to pay for your loss!!

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Havre de Grace, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Floridian for a family trip. The rooms were very nice with nice finishes. The hotel has turn down service with a chocolate so the kids loved it. The staff was very nice and very helpful. The convienence of the monorail and boat to the magic kingdom was great. Right now, construction was everywhere making it not as nice as it could have been. The main pool is closed. The spa is closed. The convienence store is closed. The quick service restaurant was closed. the beach area was closed and at the pool that was open you got to watch the building of a huge tower of timeshares. Save your money and go elsewhere until the resort is completed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We never stay anywhere else when we visit Disney World. (We have posted a couple of reviews regarding previous stays). The service is outstanding. It rivals resorts elsewhere in the world. The grounds and the decor are beautiful. You cannot stay any closer to the Magic Kingdom. You are just one monorail station away. The courtyard pool and Gasparilla's were closed when we visited in October, 2012; however, I understand they will re-open soon. The Grand is expensive, but it is worth every cent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here in late October for 4 days after leaving another Disney Resort that had a unacceptable room and no other rooms at that resort were available. Disney was excellent in moving us and our luggage by taxi to this resort.

We had a lagoon view room in the Boca Chica building. We were on the third floor in a room next to the ice machine, but I never heard anyone getting ice. The only thing we could hear were the family next door through the adjoining door, but we were out alot and it wasn't too bad. The rooms are beautifully decorated with touches of Disney. The beds are incredibly comfortable. The water pressure and the temperature of the shower were excellent.

The room was very spacious and very clean. The bathroom has double sinks with adequate storage for your items and the tub and toilet are behind a door for additional privacy. There is a lot of construction going on and the main pool was closed. Also, next to the hotel a large disney time share is being built and the fitness center has been relocated to a large permanent tent in the parking lot. We loved walking around this resort and we also walked to the polynesian resort next door. The grounds at the Grand Floridian are so beautiful and relaxing after being in the hustle of the parks.

I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!