“Nice but not my style” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

You added Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   4401 Floridian Way, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #35 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Nice but not my style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Going to Disney is always an experience. I have heard all good things about the grand Floridian - my opinion, it is for an older crowd. It is very Victorian looking feel. Beautiful property and nothin to take away from Disney but if you do not like wall paper and floral looking rooms - stay at the contemporary or Polynesian.

Service was great food as well just the decor was not my style.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

If you are staying on Disney property, this is a great hotel. The rooms were clean, the service was great and the kids had a great time. There are currently some renovations in progress. The spa and one pool were closed. The self parking is about two blocks away. You can watch the fireworks from the location, and catch the mono-rail or bus to any Disney site.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Great service and wonderful rooms. I stay at this hotel when visiting Disney. The decor is beautiful. Easy to get to the magic kingdom and epcot via the mono rail. Disney buses were on time. The option of taking a boat over to the Magic Kingdom is very convenient as well. The grounds are beautiful and the staff at hotel was awesome. Food was great. New water park with an Alice in Wonderland theme installed. Very cut and fun for the little ones.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Let me start by saying that I, do not, as a rule stay at theme park lodging properties. In this case, however, I was attending business meetings at the Disney Contemporary hotel. There were no rooms available there, so we ended up at the Grand Floridian instead, taking the monorail to and from as needed.

The GF is a Victorian period property. Everyone is attired in period garments. At least a zillion gallons of white paint had to have been used to paint this place because the exteriors are ALL white except for the roofing which is a bright brown color. The place is beautiful.

Upon your arrival, you check-in with incoming gatehouse attendant where they verify your identity. You're not even at the hotel proper just yet. They want to make sure you are who you say you are, so get ready to show photo ID.

I was listed as a VIP (unbeknownst to me) which was unexpected but certainly welcomed and I was treated very well. We are holding a conference at the Contemporary across the lagoon, so when your company spends upward of a half-million bucks, I guess we rate. Nice.

You are then directed to the hotel arrival/departure area. They know you're coming and are ready and willing to help. After they emptied the car of my belongings, the valet parked my car ($12 nightly). The bellman handed me off to another hotel worker who escorted me all the way to my room; quite a walk actually. All my stuff was on wheels and I am accustomed to managing on my own, so the help was nice.

The rooms are nothing less than beautifully finished and appointed. Free wi-fi is available throughout the place. In a place like this, I fully expected a daily fee for that. It's very quiet in my building and that was a welcomed feature. Everyone's at the theme park, so...
My room was listed at around $500/night. Rates range from $485-$2400, depending on room type and time of year.

There are a number of restaurants here. I had several meals at the GF Cafe' which was reasonable and the food very good. breakfast was $16, lunch $25 and dinner was $38 and that included the tips.

On the first night, the group I was with had dinner at Citrico's on the second floor of the main building where you check in/out along with the concierge desk and lounge area. Food and service was excellent. I can't tell you how much dinner was because I was with a group of 14. It's not a low-cost place, clearly.

Oh yes, keep in mind this is a Disney theme park property, so kids are all over the place. Even in the finer restaurants. Yes, it's noisy at times, like dinner time. Be so advised.

I used the fitness center which was temporarily relocated while the official facility was being refurbished. The alternate location was a quick walk from my room in the Sago Cay building. There is plenty of equipment and an attendant on duty during normal hours. Equipment includes treadmills, weight machines, ellipticals and a couple spin bikes. There was a TV, but the video-equipped cardio gear was not connected to a cable TV source. Bring your iPod.

Lastly, everyone I came in contact with who worked at the hotel was very nice, knowledgeable and well informed about anything I asked about.

Highly recommended. Just bring a fat credit card or a wad o' cash. You're going to need it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We have stayed at the Grand Floridian in the past and have enjoyed it very much. There are some shortcomings: it is supposed to be Victorian - this is Victorian according to Disney (fair enough - it is Disney World); the bedrooms and en-suite bathrooms are quite small and are rather dated by today's standards; everything is either expensive or VERY expensive. Accepting all these issues, the general ambience of the resort is fabulous, the main pool area is very relaxing and nice and there is a beach of white sand where it is very easy to while away the hours soaking up the sun.

We decided to stay for seven nights and arrived in mid October. All the accepted drawbacks remain and to our disgust we discovered that the main pool was closed for refurbishment, the Spa was closed for refurbishment, one of the restaurants was closed for refurbishment and the beautiful white sandy beach no longer exists. If we had been informed about this at the time of booking I would have no complaint but we were not told about all these facilities being closed. The crowning glory is that Disney are building a new timeshare development where the beach used to be and using the one small swimming pool that remains is like sitting in the middle of a building site. While we fully appreciate that refurbishment work has to be carried out at any resort, to do so much all at the same time is ludicrous and to not tell guests about the closures and inconvenience is unforgivable.

A very expensive and disappointing trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our wedding at the Wedding Pavilion. Yes, we had a few minor issues...originally given a room with two queen beds and the day they moved us my wedding dress was lost. Honestly, though, it's our favorite resort. Perhaps it's because we got married here. I've stayed here twice prior to getting married here and it's always been my favorite. Am I biased?! Maybe. Great room, great amenities, great location, hoping to purchase DVC membership here soon. If you're wanting the best in Disney, this is The Best!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Not many hotels like this can be found. If you like an 1890's environment, this is it.
The staff wears period costumes, and the lobby is absolutely gorgeous. The rooms
are not exceptional considering the price, but the grounds make up for it. We ate breakfast
in their cafe in the mornings and dinner in both Citicos and Narcoossees with a
great meal at both. While the room rates are high, the restaurant pricing was competitive.
Can't give it five stars because of all the rennovation. (Main pool was being renovated and
there we other areas under construction.)

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the lagoon as you will see all the fireworks shows at night.