I've been going to Disney World since I was a kid (early 70's) and have stayed at almost all of their resorts. The Wilderness Lodge Resort was one that I avoided in the past because so many of the other Disney resorts looked more interesting.
We took a chance in early May 2014 and included a stay there during one of our trips to WDW. To my surprise it turned out to be much better than I expected. The grounds are gorgeous with a mountain lodge feel, though the pool is a little undersized for this resort, it's very unique with water rapids running from the resort lobby down large rocks to the pool area. There is a "quiet pool" close by also which can be more relaxing.
Food options are limited between, a quick service, a café and a steak house. The Wilderness Cafe is pretty tasty, moderately priced (for Disney!) and the servers are a hoot! Loud and informal they make it easy to relax and have some fun.
Overall it is one of their nicest resorts with decent sized clean rooms that have a rustic lodge decor. We were located on a top floor and our balcony was good sized, but because of the building design we had to stand if we wanted to see the gorgeous view of the lake, pool and rapids down below.
As for convenience, the Magic Kingdom is a short boat ride away and or course buses to take you there and to the other parks as well. MK fireworks can be seen easily from your pool side balcony or the grounds. I would definitely stay here again!
As for cost, well it's Disney. If you're looking to find a deal they can be had with some early planning and flexible time frame. I've never paid full price saving 30% - 50% on Resort room cost. Check around, there are deals to be had except for the most popular dates.
Example if you want to experience the Food Festival or Halloween Party, try going earlier in the season say late September or early October, it's cheaper, less crowded and all those seasonal activities are available. The same goes for Christmas unless you absolutely want to be there Christmas Eve, you'll have a much better visit earlier in the month of December and save a fair sum in the process.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the rustic majesty of America's Great Northwest. Inspired by turn-of-the-century National Park lodges, Disney's Wilderness Lodge celebrates American craftsmanship and honors the beauty of the untamed wilderness. Soak in the splendor of the great outdoors, from nature trails through pine forests to rocking chairs that overlook a murmuring creek. Inside, discover towering totem poles, headdresses and more, and sink into a plush leather armchair in front of the roaring fireplace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotels.com and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Disney's Wilderness Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney Wilderness Hotel
- Disney Wilderness Lodge
- Disneys Wilderness Hotel
- Walt Disney World Wilderness Lodge
- Wilderness Lodge Orlando
- Wilderness Lodge Resort
- Wilderness Lodge Disney World
- Disney Wilderness Resort
- Disneys Wilderness Lodge